Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lockdown..Another month ahead , describe your current daily activities and plans for

Options
  • 04-02-2021 12:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭

Be interested to hear how and what people are doing with their days and plans to cope with the next few weeks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

Work from home, crying 10 month old, bored 7 year old, homeschooling, dogs had enough and taken to spending most of the day upstairs away from everyone, lucky git.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Sleep, work, eat, couch, drink, bed, sleep.

What a time to be alive!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

Work, playstation, netflix, sleep.
    Repeat

• Registered Users Posts: 12,255 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Think I've just about given up on grooming myself or wearing proper clothes. But I'm comfortable

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Work from home since March, IT. Got into DIY in a big way so spending my commute time on home projects including a shed to remote work office conversion as I reckon remote working is going to be pretty much some variation of a norm going forward. If you ever wondered about who buys those strange-looking tools in Aldi / Lidl, then here I am. Paid for by all the savings from not going to the pub for one.

Spend a lot of my free time on YouTube following and learning DIY techniques from paint spraying, tiling, furniture construction - I barely watch any TV at all. I bought a wood router from Lidl for example so now I'm making customised doors for my kitchen cabinets as an example. I'm amazed and simultaneously bewildered about the stuff I'm able to do now, because I'm primarily a nerdy IT type, that I can do in DIY now.

Plumbing is the only area that I haven't tackled. But even there I was able to remove my radiators to flush out sludge that created cold spots, after watching a Youtube video. I don't think people really appreciate how valuable Youtube is for the ordinary person. It's insane that almost any problem you need to fix, there'll be at least one or more videos of someone showing you how to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,771 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Working from home, tonnes to do on a project already months behind. Picked up running and it's going well, dartboard arrives tomorrow. Trying to get my hands on a PS5.

Learning bits and pieces via the odd course to bump up the ladder when I can. GF comes over the weekend to hang out. Not much else but fitness a huge priority. Might emerge from retirement and go back to club football when all this is done.

Oh and I've taken a huge interest in baking/cooking.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Karlos77

Work from home since March, IT. Got into DIY in a big way so spending my commute time on home projects including a shed to remote work office conversion as I reckon remote working is going to be pretty much some variation of a norm going forward. If you ever wondered about who buys those strange-looking tools in Aldi / Lidl, then here I am. Paid for by all the savings from not going to the pub for one.

Spend a lot of my free time on YouTube following and learning DIY techniques from paint spraying, tiling, furniture construction - I barely watch any TV at all. I bought a wood router from Lidl for example so now I'm making customised doors for my kitchen cabinets as an example. I'm amazed and simultaneously bewildered about the stuff I'm able to do now, because I'm primarily a nerdy IT type, that I can do in DIY now.

Plumbing is the only area that I haven't tackled. But even there I was able to remove my radiators to flush out sludge that created cold spots, after watching a Youtube video. I don't think people really appreciate how valuable Youtube is for the ordinary person. It's insane that almost any problem you need to fix, there'll be at least one or more videos of someone showing you how to do it.

Fair play it's great to hear people using all this time productive as opposed to the usual we hear i'm so bored with lockdown

Karlos77 wrote: »
    Fair play it's great to hear people using all this time productive as opposed to the usual we hear i'm so bored with lockdown

We hear a lot about mental health issues arising from lockdown and restrictions. But I personally believe a lot arises because people aren't using their spare time to keep occupied.

The old saying that Idle hands makes the devils work doesn't come from anywhere. I know you can be very successful, have everything and your mental health will kick in. Robin Williams as an example. But a lot of issues are triggered by changes in your circumstances; keeping occupied, doing something productive because of changes due to this pandemic is essential.

I'm lucky that I'm still fully employed, and while I had started to build up my tools collection prior, I could afford to buy more during the lockdowns and also materials that I need.

But learning is free on youtube, and I did a lot of that before I got the tools I need.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Curse These Metal Hands

After working online I've been using the time to get better at cooking, trying new dishes and trying to develop some new cooking skills. Then I'll practice guitar for a few hours before watching a movie or occasionally have a ****.

After working online I've been using the time to get better at cooking, trying new dishes and trying to develop some new cooking skills. Then I'll practice guitar for a few hours before watching a movie or occasionally have a ****.

Cooking with Cream is a good thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Drinking.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,231 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Work and teach online and cautiously do lab work when necessary. Double mask and distance at market and at takeout. Continue hibernating home.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,944 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

A lot of walking, the dogs fed up with it, some illegal stuff and the odd breaking the distance rule, looks like another cold snap, mountains are calling me again

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

This is actually pretty class

Something as simple as remote working has given rise to you having more free time and utilising that to learn more skills.and experience in DIY plus give you a bit of a hobby

This is simply one of the many benefits of remote working

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

Great Post, thank you. I agree on YouTube videos. Used it to fix the car, change bulbs, etc

Great Post, thank you. I agree on YouTube videos. Used it to fix the car, change bulbs, etc

YouTube is just the job

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

My biggest Youtube success last year was diagnosing my dishwasher breaking down, ordering the part and installing the part myself, probably would have thrown the machine out otherwise, for the princely sum of 30 euro

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Seanachai

We hear a lot about mental health issues arising from lockdown and restrictions. But I personally believe a lot arises because people aren't using their spare time to keep occupied.

The old saying that Idle hands makes the devils work doesn't come from anywhere. I know you can be very successful, have everything and your mental health will kick in. Robin Williams as an example. But a lot of issues are triggered by changes in your circumstances; keeping occupied, doing something productive because of changes due to this pandemic is essential.

I'm lucky that I'm still fully employed, and while I had started to build up my tools collection prior, I could afford to buy more during the lockdowns and also materials that I need.

But learning is free on youtube, and I did a lot of that before I got the tools I need.

It's great that you can do that, it's just not feasible for people living in small rented accommodation though. My brothers and parents in the countryside barely notice lockdowns at all, if I had my own house and a few acres I probably wouldn't either.

silverharp wrote: »
    My biggest Youtube success last year was diagnosing my dishwasher breaking down, ordering the part and installing the part myself, probably would have thrown the machine out otherwise, for the princely sum of 30 euro

wanted to fix our tumbler dryer via this method, new one was installed and old one gone before i could even think about it, but then again, i have very long fingers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Working from home, homeschooling three uninterested kids, walking the dog, TV\Playstation when time allows, Running, Cooking

We are in the middle of a home improvement project so that has been keeping us all focused.

Took on a couple of little projects myself also

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Fair play to you that's great. I'm always worried about doing more damage than good when tackling any DIY.
    Materials are also expensive so not cheap to feck up a project.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

If anyone wants to kidknapp me, here's my routine:
    8.00 get up
    8.01 have coffee
    8.30 drive to woods and walk dog. (If I wake up at 8.30, I'll bring coffee in takeaway cup)
    10.00 go to butchers and veg shop
    10.30 - 11.00 Start cooking lunch
    12.00 have lunch (this can vary depending on wife's meetings)
    12.30 clean up after lunch
    13.00 sit down and read boards
    13.30 start studying
    15.30 Do the washing
    16.00 drive to woods and walk dog
    17.30 make the tea and have with wife
    18.30 Watch Netflix or whatever with wife, maybe if West Ham are playing, I'll watch that.
    21.00 Wife will go to bed and I will walk dog around the block
    22.00 Empty dishwasher, clean kitchen, go to bed and either read or faff around on phone for an hour or two.

It really is that boring and I hate it. My life normally has no routine, at all. I'm only on boards now as I'll have lunch cooked in about 30 mins.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Mon to Friday : work, home, dinner with wife, 6km walk, shower, Netflix/ YouTube, bed.
    Sat and sun: a few walks, wash car, grocery shop, takeaway Saturday evening.
    Doing my best to keep the head up, but I'll admit it's getting harder. Never been this depressed for such a long period of time in my life.
    Having that said there's always someone worse off so I just tell myself to man up and get on with it.

If anyone wants to kidknapp me, here's my routine:
    8.00 get up
    8.01 have coffee
    8.30 drive to woods and walk dog. (If I wake up at 8.30, I'll bring coffee in takeaway cup)
    10.00 go to butchers and veg shop
    10.30 - 11.00 Start cooking lunch
    12.00 have lunch (this can vary depending on wife's meetings)
    12.30 clean up after lunch
    13.00 sit down and read boards
    13.30 start studying
    15.30 Do the washing
    16.00 drive to woods and walk dog
    17.30 make the tea and have with wife
    18.30 Watch Netflix or whatever with wife, maybe if West Ham are playing, I'll watch that.
    21.00 Wife will go to bed and I will walk dog around the block
    22.00 Empty dishwasher, clean kitchen, go to bed and either read or faff around on phone for an hour or two.

It really is that boring and I hate it. My life normally has no routine, at all. I'm only on boards now as I'll have lunch cooked in about 30 mins.

interested in breaking some laws?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

Whilst we are all getting on with our daily lives, what is depressing is we cannot look forward to activities such as holidays, concerts, events , travel , eating out , pubs /nights out , birthdays , special occasions and so on

All that part of our lives is gone so we are just working (for those that are ) and living but not going beyond that

• Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭positron

Also in IT and I used to work from home couple of days a week even before the pandemic, but now it's 5 days a week.

I have started getting up earlier than usual and getting some exercise (usually couple of hours on the turbo trainer, may start running again when it starts getting brighter earlier). Work 9-5/6, and then I have some time to mess with kids - their PE hour, which is basically playing whatever they want to play.

Time and energy saved by not having to commute (2-3 hours a day) is fantastic. I have been doing DIY (following YouTube or otherwise) like fixing washing machine (changed the solenoid valve), and recently dishwasher (had to 'debug' the problem and found a broken wire which was stopping the machine from starting the wash cycle), servicing the bike, motorbike etc. The most complex project I undertook over the lockdown was to take out the old pointless open gas fire & fireplace etc and to replace it with a wall inserted cassette gas fire, complete with rendering, plastering & painting the wall etc. Took me over a month and multiple visits to friendly gas supplies shop for advice, but pleased with the end result.

I hate these lockdowns myself, and I can't wait for it to lift so that I can travel a bit further, and visit my elderly parents on the other side of the world - but everything considered, I consider myself very lucky, so far anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I brought myself a telescope to watch my neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

wally1990 wrote: »
    Whilst we are all getting on with our daily lives, what is depressing is we cannot look forward to activities such as holidays, concerts, events , travel , eating out , pubs /nights out , birthdays , special occasions and so on

All that part of our lives is gone so we are just working (for those that are ) and living but not going beyond that

I'm not badly off in lockdown: I'm WFH, and my MH isn't too bad (today - touch wood).

But I find the lack of a horizon really tough. There's nothing to look forward to. No holidays, no weddings, no get-togethers. I'm a classic introvert who doesn't usually enjoy these things but now I see that they put a bit of structure on my life, there was always 'something' coming up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Work as normal.

Only thing that's different for me is not seeing friends on the weekend.

Life hasn't changed for me other than that.

Advertisement