Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Buying from the UK

• 02-02-2021 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭

I've just been hit with a €25 fee for a package that only cost £29, anyone else experience same? Would using PM or addresspal work still as a UK address? or are we still in for customs hold ups and charges?

I would much rather of course, buy within Ireland, but the prices are already shocking on some sites, and I fear this might worsen because of the clamp down on purchasing from the UK.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,004 ✭✭✭corkie

PM is no-longer available.
    AP minimum charge is €10 (€6.50 + €3.50 handling fee).

With AP, you will end up paying UK VAT & Duties first and then charge Irish/EU on top of that amount.

See Online Buying & Auctions & Couriers sub forum.

How Brexit affects online buying Update 20th January

Rules out getting Nic affordably from UK.

Who did the order ship with that you where overcharge VAT etc. Shipping is include in the calculations for VAT

Edit: - £29 ~~ €32.83 * 21% Vat = €6.89 so surplus would be courier fees and handling charges?

Edit 2: - Who ever is the courier they may have overvalued the item for customs.

"He tasks me. He tasks me and I shall have him! I'll chase him round the moons of Nibia and round the Antares maelstrom and round perdition's flames before I give him up!" - Khan quoting Moby Dick (Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

corkie wrote: »
    PM is no-longer available.
    AP minimum charge is €10 (€6.50 + €3.50 handling fee).

With AP, you will end up paying UK VAT & Duties first and then charge Irish/EU on top of that amount.

See Online Buying & Auctions & Couriers sub forum.

How Brexit affects online buying Update 20th January

Rules out getting Nic affordably from UK.

Who did the order ship with that you where overcharge VAT etc. Shipping is include in the calculations for VAT

Edit: - £29 ~~ €32.83 * 21% Vat = €6.89 so surplus would be courier fees and handling charges?

Edit 2: - Who ever is the courier they may have overvalued the item for customs.

Looking into it further looks like the extra charges were from UPS, unfortunately the likes of Darkstar [this order] use them over this side, maybe it's still worth it for larger orders - this order was made a little less painful as I got a free shortfill and if I calculated what the rest would cost ordering in ireland it's still possibly cheaper but something to be wary of.

Vat calculation would be on all items + shipping.

So if you got complimentary short-fill, it's cost would also be included.

UPS have expensive handling fees for customs.
    Just got hit with a €25 charge for a parcel that originally cost just €40, only warning I got was the driver rang me from the next estate over - luckily I had the cash on me, normally wouldn't as I just use my card for everything these days. Safe to say I won't be ordering from anywhere that uses UPS to deliver in future.

Have you revalued your order in the above cross thread post?

"He tasks me. He tasks me and I shall have him! I'll chase him round the moons of Nibia and round the Antares maelstrom and round perdition's flames before I give him up!" - Khan quoting Moby Dick (Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan)

Vat calculation would be on all items + shipping.

So if you got complimentary short-fill, it's cost would also be included.

UPS have expensive handling fees for customs.

Have you revalued your order in the above cross thread post?

No, it was in Sterling, I'm just having a rough guess, didn't actually check what the exchange is atm, it was £29 plus delivery which I rounded up to €40 total in my head. I hadn't included that in my post here is all, wasn't sure if they factored in p+p but seems it is inc. Just checked the invoice, the extra shortfill isn't on the list of purchase - that would have bumped it another £10

£29 + £5 + £7.50 = £41.50 ~~~ €47.08 * 21% Vat = €9.88
    UPS Customs handling fee approx €15
    Total: - approx €25
    After 31st December 2020 you may be charged import fees on products you order from us that are being delivered outside of the United Kingdom. This is a result of Brexit. We have not increased our shipping but these are import fees we cannot control, that will be charged by the courier on delivery of your products.

www(.)darkstar(.)co(.)uk/delivery

• Advertisement

£29 + £5 + £7.50 = £41.50 ~~~ €47.08 * 21% Vat = €9.88
    UPS Customs handling fee approx €15
    Total: - approx €25

www(.)darkstar(.)co(.)uk/delivery

Strange I seen none of this, and no £7.50 charge when placing the order. This is the first time I've been hit so was a bit of a bummer - only knew this morn when the courier rang to tell me he was on the way and would need payment, he was decent about it, actually gave out stink on how UPS are dealing with it as nobody he's delivering to seems to know anything about the charges until he calls. I had to give him the whole 25 btw, DS themselves never added any of the charges their end.

I'll have to do some actual calculating, see how much that lot would have cost me inc delivery from an Irish site. I think DS will still be very competitive but hmmm, was I ordering that amount because it was such good value to begin with? €25 on top is quite a chunk. Were it not for that 120ml shortfill [very tasty btw, strawberry watermelon candy] thrown in [it was a special for anyone who ordered on the day, not just for me] I'd be a little more peeved

I just added the estimated cost of your complimentary short-fill to get that £7.50.
    First of all, the carrier, eg UPS or DHL, will likely impose a handling charge for processing goods through customs. At UPS, the charge is €14.50 regardless of the value of the package. So, even if you order a good for $20 (€14.8), you will still have to pay this. This is unrelated to charges imposed by the Revenue.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/personal-finance/deliveries-charges-returns-and-tax-avoiding-the-pitfalls-of-shopping-online-1.1661947
    ^^^ Old article but is where I go UPS fees from. (Tue, Jan 21, 2014, 01:11)

I just added the estimated cost of your complimentary short-fill to get that £7.50.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/personal-finance/deliveries-charges-returns-and-tax-avoiding-the-pitfalls-of-shopping-online-1.1661947
    ^^^ Old article but is where I go UPS fees from. (Tue, Jan 21, 2014, 01:11)

Hmm, if it's fixed, then larger orders might still be worth, at least I'll know in future about the extra fees - cheers for all the info

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Allan45121

I ordered 1ltr 72mg nic plus 5ltr vg from nicotine hub. Courier was dpd. Just looked at tracking and it says it is being returned to the vendor. Can anyone tell me why this might be?

^^^ Maybe a prohibited item for the Courier (DPD).

https://shipping.dpd.ie/prohibited-items

* Liquids
    * Tobacco And Tobacco Products

Edit: - Use to order nicotine to here by using DPD PW but royal mail delivered to NI first.

Along with PM, that service is no longer available.

Address Pal also prohibits liquids,so rules out using them as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

We'll have to organise a trip over to England , like a booze cruise except for 1lt bottles of eliquid .

jonski wrote: »
    We'll have to organise a trip over to England , like a booze cruise except for 1lt bottles of eliquid .

You maybe able to walk into a store and buy PG/VG over the counter.
    But getting 72mg nicotine would be another matter, because technically they only sell that to business. (loophole in getting deliveries).

If you relative/friends in UK, you could possibly get it delivered to them and collect.

The next hurdle would be bringing it through customs here?

I've been getting my nic from UK, I only ever order 100ml 72mg and have had no issues to date, but I fear that's now out the window too. They were sending the small plastic bottle in a jiffy bag via An Post, so maybe that's how they got through because it just looks like a harmless little package but not sure that'll pass now

Is our only option now nic shots? :/ PITA

jonski wrote: »

Definitely, I'm finished all mine and buying eliquid in 10ml bottles. First time in 8 years that I'm buying ready-made juice. It's not quite as cost effective and I haven't found a juice I like yet.

I've been getting my nic from UK, I only ever order 100ml 72mg and have had no issues to date, but I fear that's now out the window too. They were sending the small plastic bottle in a jiffy bag via An Post, so maybe that's how they got through because it just looks like a harmless little package but not sure that'll pass now

Is our only option now nic shots? :/ PITA

Seems that way, but you can't make 18mg juice from nic shots for mtl. Your right, it's a PITA. My folks are in Scotland, but don't know when I'll get over there again with the virus so rampant. But when I do I'll be sure to get a few litres of nic to bring back!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

I ordered from a site that seemed to be Irish but they have sent me a Royal Mail tracking number, hope I don’t get hit, and if I do I might decline the package, don’t fancy paying double for a 30 quid pod mod.
    Maybe it’s coming from the north so will be ok? There is no action on the tracking number yet.

^^^ What was the site? Did you pay in Euro's or Sterling?

If the site is VAT registered here, you may have already paid Irish VAT even with shipping from UK?

Site is called IAMWIZZARD. There is an IE vat number on the site so hopefully that is the case.

40427963.jpg

Smartypants, it would be handy for others to know what sites to avoid in future?

Is your 'vinci' still working?

I’ll update once it arrives if there was a customs charge or not.

I gave up on the vinci after a few weeks, constantly leaking and gurgling. I am using a Vaporesso xross these days, no issues with that so far.

• Advertisement

EGriff wrote: »
    I ordered from a site that seemed to be Irish but they have sent me a Royal Mail tracking number, hope I don’t get hit, and if I do I might decline the package, don’t fancy paying double for a 30 quid pod mod.
    Maybe it’s coming from the north so will be ok? There is no action on the tracking number yet.

Fingers crossed for ya, as I got no indication of any charges until it was about to arrive - when I checked tracking it was originally due to arrive on Monday, next time I checked that had changed to Weds and the reason was customs check - I kinda knew then but heard no more - it actually arrived on the Tues and only for the driver ringing me in advance I woul dhave had zero clue that there was charges

ok, I'm out of nic, DIY'd for the last 7/8 years. It seems my only option is to buy nic shots. I'm trying to reach a high nic in my juice for mtl on a Caliburn G. Might be a stupid question but can I just add flavours to vg nic shots and vape it? With 10% flavour it would work out at about 16mg juice. Any issue here?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I ordered 500ml 72mg nic from nicotine hub in November. It should last me at least a year, just hoping by time I need to order again there will be some better trade process in place between Ireland and the UK. Is there any options in the EU for ordering nic I wonder?

I orderekd 500ml 72mg nic from nicotine hub in November. It should last me at least a year, just hoping by time I need to order again there will be some better trade process in place between Ireland and the UK. Is there any options in the EU for ordering nic I wonder?

The whole eu is covered by the tpd so only 18mg in 10ml bottles, as far as i know.

Allan45121 wrote: »
    ok, I'm out of nic, DIY'd for the last 7/8 years. It seems my only option is to buy nic shots. I'm trying to reach a high nic in my juice for mtl on a Caliburn G. Might be a stupid question but can I just add flavours to vg nic shots and vape it? With 10% flavour it would work out at about 16mg juice. Any issue here?

Can't see why not, it's just a PG/VG mix with nic to start, same as any juice minus the flavouring. Get a 100ml bottle, throw 9 of them in there and your 10% flavouring and it'll do for a while in pods

Sucks that we are reduced to this though, I'm not so bad as I mostly vape 3mg, so 2 shots sees me ok for 120ml juice, I think it's just over 4mg if I mix in a 100ml bottle. I do 6mg in pods, so I'll just make up 50ml of something and add 2 shots there too. Any sites doing bulk on the shots?

Can't see why not, it's just a PG/VG mix with nic to start, same as any juice minus the flavouring. Get a 100ml bottle, throw 9 of them in there and your 10% flavouring and it'll do for a while in pods

Sucks that we are reduced to this though, I'm not so bad as I mostly vape 3mg, so 2 shots sees me ok for 120ml juice, I think it's just over 4mg if I mix in a 100ml bottle. I do 6mg in pods, so I'll just make up 50ml of something and add 2 shots there too. Any sites doing bulk on the shots?

Thanks, I ordered from esi. I have some new 60ml bottles, I'll put 5 shots in then I have wiggle room if they need more flavour. This is going to get expensive. It really is a stupid regulation. And all those 10ml bottles going in the bin, crazy.

Anyone got any Irish sites that aren't over charging for nic shots? That's who should get the business, not the ones looking for €2.50 a pop! Talk about milking it!

It's a sad time for us old school mixers who prefer to do all our mixing from scratch with decent nic. It was always going to happen though, it was hard enough get it through in smaller amounts up till now, but now it's nic shots or nowt it would seem.

I've just ordered a couple short fills from ESI to try for now, see how they go. I like that they inc the shots in the price at least

Not online, but Dealz have Nic shots for €1.50.

But with them been supplied from 88Vape, with Brexit don't see that lasting long.

Check the store today, out of stock of shortfill I was looking for and other stocks on display seemed low.

Some stores where giving complimentary Nic Shots with shortfills.

wickedvapesshop(.)com/collections/nic-shots-18mg-10ml

Not online, but Dealz have Nic shots for €1.50.

But with them been supplied from 88Vape, with Brexit don't see that lasting long.

Check the store today, out of stock of shortfill I was looking for and other stocks on display seemed low.

Some stores where giving complimentary Nic Shots with shortfills.

wickedvapesshop(.)com/collections/nic-shots-18mg-10ml

I must check in the euro shops here, I know they do 0nic vapes but not sure if they still do nic shots, if they do I might just have to grab a bunch. On ESI you get 2 shots with each 120ml shortfill which are between 16.99 and 19.99, works out better than the Hale vape stands at least who are charging €17 for a 60ml and you pay extra for the top up shot. The juice on ESI will be superior quality too.

Damn I'm gonna miss whipping up 100ml bottles of my own juice regular for less than €5 all in.

VG is another issue, DS were selling a litre for £3.50, over here they want a tenner for 500ml

• Advertisement

Eurogiant used to sell a 4 pack of Nic Shots for a €5, don't know if they still do.

Advertisement