Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing hinges and rubber seals on PVC windows?

Options
  • 31-01-2021 6:47pm

Hi folks,

perhaps not really DIY as I wouldn't plan to do it myself, but can't think of a better forum.

House has fairly stereotypical white PVC double glazed windows. They're about 15 years old and although they're generally fine, and not really in need of replacing, we have had hinges break on one or two of them over the years.

So I was looking at getting all the rubbers and hinges replaced on them to bring them back to being new-ish again.

I've got 7 windows. A chap I got before charged €60 to do hinges on one window before, and I recently (today) asked a local company for a quote. They said they'd have to look at the windows in person to give a price, but it'd be less than a grand.

The thought of paying a grand for a few hinges and rubber seals has my eyebrows raised.

Is this along the going rate? Or am I being robbed? Just looking to see if anyone's had this done before, and what kinda money they'd paid (maybe I'm just being cheap!?)

Cheers folks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭mad m

Take pic of hinges and seals and send here

https://www.nationalseal.ie/go/product

https://www.nationalseal.ie/go/contact_us

Ask them for price of stuff and DIY

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭chuck eastwood

Replaced mine there a while ago. Damage from kids swinging out of them. Most windows have a frame and opening section seal. Mine cost €0.50 per foot plus vat. Hinges we're about €10 each cost price. If someone is charging you a grand they are ripping you off. Materials for a full house would be less that €250 and one guy to do the lot in half a day. Price around but it is easy enough to do. You tube is your friend for projects like this

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Horusire

Hi folks,

perhaps not really DIY as I wouldn't plan to do it myself, but can't think of a better forum.

House has fairly stereotypical white PVC double glazed windows. They're about 15 years old and although they're generally fine, and not really in need of replacing, we have had hinges break on one or two of them over the years.

So I was looking at getting all the rubbers and hinges replaced on them to bring them back to being new-ish again.

I've got 7 windows. A chap I got before charged €60 to do hinges on one window before, and I recently (today) asked a local company for a quote. They said they'd have to look at the windows in person to give a price, but it'd be less than a grand.

The thought of paying a grand for a few hinges and rubber seals has my eyebrows raised.

Is this along the going rate? Or am I being robbed? Just looking to see if anyone's had this done before, and what kinda money they'd paid (maybe I'm just being cheap!?)

Cheers folks

I had 6 window hinges replaced this month for 160 euro. Thats not a cash price either. I am based in kildare. Also it took them literally 40 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

Horusire wrote: »
    I had 6 window hinges replaced this month for 160 euro. Thats not a cash price either. I am based in kildare. Also it took them literally 40 mins

A window needs two hinges. So when you say 6hinges are you talking about 3 windows??

massy086 wrote: »
    A window needs two hinges. So when you say 6hinges are you talking about 3 windows??

Not going to lie I dont know. Windows wouldnt close properly man came in and changed hinges and it was fixed. There was a few hinges left out afterwards so id assume it was 1 hinge replaced in each window

• Advertisement

Not going to lie I dont know. Windows wouldnt close properly man came in and changed hinges and it was fixed. There was a few hinges left out afterwards so id assume it was 1 hinge replaced in each window
    Ah OK you have to replace hinges in pairs. So if it was 6 hinges it was about €53 per opening window so the going rate really

Cheers folks.

Chap that gave me a rough quote is supposed to be calling over tomorrow or tuesday to give an actual price. I'll be curious to see how it ends up, but I'll keep ye updated nonetheless.

Can I ask, mildly related, the inside of the window frames on some of the windows have been abused. Some of them developed a draught over the years and my dad was living here alone at the time. His fix for this was to put brown parcel tape around the windows ( :rolleyes: ). Naturally, it won't come off and has destroyed the clean look of the windows. He got past this by simply painting over the issues (again, :rolleyes: ).

Considering the windows are a plastic, would aggressively sanding them down and re-painting them be an idea? or am I fooling myself there? Half thinking I might be better off with new feckin' windows at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭Evd-Burner

Cheers folks.

Considering the windows are a plastic, would aggressively sanding them down and re-painting them be an idea? or am I fooling myself there? Half thinking I might be better off with new feckin' windows at this stage.

Do not sand, you'll ruin the finish. Use the below with gloves and mask and make sure to have the windows open as the fumes can be pretty bad. Use a plastic ice scraper for removing ice from a windscreen and have a few rags at the ready.

https://www.screwfix.ie/p/no-nonsense-foam-gun-cleaner-500ml/60133?cm_sp=managedredirect-_-sealantsadhesives-_-foamguncleaner

Once all the sticky residue is off, which with that won't take long get upvc polish and a polising cloth and polish the plastic, it will literally look brand new. I did it and was completely shocked.

https://www.espares.ie/product/es1644877?utm_source=google+shopping&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=google+shopping&gclid=Cj0KCQiAx9mABhD0ARIsAEfpavRvL-rXkigQ_mjf9oN0PQgrPXqRZdiRig76ZmZo84ScJojU3GaTTVoaAuOVEALw_wcB

Evd-Burner wrote: »
    Do not sand, you'll ruin the finish.

Well the idea would be to repaint after sanding.. Presumably that'd make it all okay again?

Use the below with gloves and mask and make sure to have the windows open as the fumes can be pretty bad. Use a plastic ice scraper for removing ice from a windscreen and have a few rags at the ready.

https://www.screwfix.ie/p/no-nonsense-foam-gun-cleaner-500ml/60133?cm_sp=managedredirect-_-sealantsadhesives-_-foamguncleaner

Once all the sticky residue is off, which with that won't take long get upvc polish and a polising cloth and polish the plastic, it will literally look brand new. I did it and was completely shocked.

https://www.espares.ie/product/es1644877?utm_source=google+shopping&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=google+shopping&gclid=Cj0KCQiAx9mABhD0ARIsAEfpavRvL-rXkigQ_mjf9oN0PQgrPXqRZdiRig76ZmZo84ScJojU3GaTTVoaAuOVEALw_wcB

Would that cleaner really be as aggressive as you're saying? It'd have to work through a coat of paint, and the sellotape that was stuck to the frame?

(I love products that are really aggressive as they speed things up a lot, but not sure if you've overlooked that the windows, or at least some of them, have been painted).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭Evd-Burner

I've never tried it with paint but the product is relatively cheap so no harm in giving it a try. For me it helped lift the intact sellotape using a scraper. The residue scraped and wiped right off with the rags.

I've painted my upvc windows and had to sand beforehand with 400 sand paper, but the paint is almost 30 euro a can and I needed 3 cans for one side of a double door and window. That side being the external side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Lidl have adhesive remover on sale at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭rodmn2377

Replaced mine there a while ago. Damage from kids swinging out of them. Most windows have a frame and opening section seal. Mine cost €0.50 per foot plus vat. Hinges we're about €10 each cost price. If someone is charging you a grand they are ripping you off. Materials for a full house would be less that €250 and one guy to do the lot in half a day. Price around but it is easy enough to do. You tube is your friend for projects like this

just wondering where did you buy all your bits and pieces.

massy086 wrote: »
    Ah OK you have to replace hinges in pairs. So if it was 6 hinges it was about €53 per opening window so the going rate really

No no he fixed 6 windows so that would be 160 for 6 pairs. That's if he replaced every hinge I am not sure if he did

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GIMP

Cheers folks.

Chap that gave me a rough quote is supposed to be calling over tomorrow or tuesday to give an actual price. I'll be curious to see how it ends up, but I'll keep ye updated nonetheless.

Can I ask, mildly related, the inside of the window frames on some of the windows have been abused. Some of them developed a draught over the years and my dad was living here alone at the time. His fix for this was to put brown parcel tape around the windows ( :rolleyes: ). Naturally, it won't come off and has destroyed the clean look of the windows. He got past this by simply painting over the issues (again, :rolleyes: ).

WD40 is amazing at removing any sticky residue or adhesives, it disolves them.

Just to give a heads up, chap replaced hinges and seals on 7 windows. Two of those windows, already had new hinges not too long ago, so he didnt replace them. So 5 windows got new hinges (in pairs), and 7 new seals. Total was €420.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭Doop

I had a quote to replace hinges in windows which weren't closing fully it was €500 for 8 openings.

Thought it was too pricey to be honest so I measured up the hinges and ordered replacements from https://www.wdacc.ie/
    (very helpful company) for €82 ex vat. We managed to change the downstairs hinges no bother... upstairs was a hell of a challenge... and to be honest some of them still are not right. The weight of the windows upstairs makes it very difficult to do from the inside. In hindsight I would rather have paid the €500 and no had the stress (+arguments :rolleyes:) and with one or two which are not 100%.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭EVGR

I'm looking to have some windows repaired (hinges and draught) but I suppose they wont come out and do so now, not deemed essential?

EVGR wrote: »
    I'm looking to have some windows repaired (hinges and draught) but I suppose they wont come out and do so now, not deemed essential?

Our lads came out no bother. I messaged them on the sunday, and they were here on the tuesday.

I'm "essential" myself, so I was at work, but my dad to let them in. Three lads came, asked my dad (in his 70s) to show them around (presumably so he can see they're not stealing stuff or the likes) but not one of them had a mask on.

I only found out afterwards. My dad wasn't that bothered by it but I wouldn't be in a hurry to use them again, and if I had been here, I'd have insisted on them masking up, especially with a feckin' pensioner in the house. Morons.

Other than that, they did do a good job though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Hi Folks,

Sorry for dragging up an old thread.

Would anyone recommend someone who does hinges and seals in North Dublin?
    Having read the comments above about not getting the upstairs windows bang on I think I'll leave to the professionals.

sparrowcar wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

Sorry for dragging up an old thread.

Would anyone recommend someone who does hinges and seals in North Dublin?
    Having read the comments above about not getting the upstairs windows bang on I think I'll leave to the professionals.
    Pm sent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,281 ✭✭✭BrianD3

No harm asking this here - some of my windows are aluminium double glazing from the early 80s, they are letting in draughts and cold

The rubber strips where the glass meets the frame have shrunk with gaps of 1-2 inches at the corners. I have stuffed bits of rubber and foam in to try to plug them. There is also a small gap between the window frame and the interior (wooden) sill and between the wall and the underside of the sill. I have put tape etc. on these

Would it be worthwhile getting somebody out to go around the wndows inside and out, sealing what they can, and me putting insulating film on the glass itself for winter.

I have been quoted 10 grand for new windows.

BrianD3 wrote: »
    No harm asking this here - some of my windows are aluminium double glazing from the early 80s, they are letting in draughts and cold

The rubber strips where the glass meets the frame have shrunk with gaps of 1-2 inches at the corners. I have stuffed bits of rubber and foam in to try to plug them. There is also a small gap between the window frame and the interior (wooden) sill and between the wall and the underside of the sill. I have put tape etc. on these

Would it be worthwhile getting somebody out to go around the wndows inside and out, sealing what they can, and me putting insulating film on the glass itself for winter.

I have been quoted 10 grand for new windows.

Man 10K doesnt seem to bad if its replacing all the windows in the house. Id jump at that if I could get a similiar price. My windows are from 2003 and they are beyond useless so I can only imagine what 80s windows are like

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I agree, we had those aluminium framed windows in our bungalow from 1995. Horrible things, the worst part was the frames themselves were as cold as ice and condensation settled on the inside resulting in mould growing in the corners where the recesses met the frames. We got everything replaced with uPVC and a new composite door and it was one of the best things we ever did.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Alun wrote: »
    I agree, we had those aluminium framed windows in our bungalow from 1995. Horrible things, the worst part was the frames themselves were as cold as ice and condensation settled on the inside resulting in mould growing in the corners where the recesses met the frames. We got everything replaced with uPVC and a new composite door and it was one of the best things we ever did.

I agree 100% the place was soaking with condensation the missus used a bath towel to get them dried up and it was impossible to stop that black mould from growing back disgusting stuff. Best money I ever spent was getting them out of the place.

For reference, our 7 windows and door came in at just over €8k. It's a bungalow with two large front tilt-and-turn windows, 3 smaller standard bedroom windows, 1 bathroom and a small en-suite. Didn't do the kitchen or back door as these open into a conservatory and weren't really a problem.

Alun wrote: »
    For reference, our 7 windows and door came in at just over €8k. It's a bungalow with two large front tilt-and-turn windows, 3 smaller standard bedroom windows, 1 bathroom and a small en-suite. Didn't do the kitchen or back door as these open into a conservatory and weren't really a problem.

When was this out of interest? All i am hearing is prices have gone through the roof for everything. I have two bay windows at the front which will drive any price up

When was this out of interest? All i am hearing is prices have gone through the roof for everything. I have two bay windows at the front which will drive any price up
    This was last October. K&K Windows, Gorey, Co. Wexford.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Last year I got 7 windows, a back door and a French door in the front, the windows have internal blinds in the units, 9600 from Senator windows. Best money I ever spent.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,617 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

I replaced all my downstairs windows and patio door seals with this
    https://www.screwfix.ie/p/stormguard-upvc-door-window-seal-black-20m/89084

Real easy to install and stopped about 90% of the draughts that were blowing in through the old seals, very happy with it.
    Upstairs windows will be a good bit harder to do unfortunately.
    All i am hearing is prices have gone through the roof for everything

They sure have and that's if you can get someone to do it without waiting months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭Odelay

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Last year I got 7 windows, a back door and a French door in the front, the windows have internal blinds in the units, 9600 from Senator windows. Best money I ever spent.

I had great success with Senator windows. Great job.

Advertisement