Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

why did Bernie sanders become a meme?

Options
  • 30-01-2021 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,016 ✭✭✭pgj2015

why did Bernie sanders become a meme after the Biden inauguration? I don't get it. is it because of the mittens? are people that bored from the lockdowns that they find entertainment in anything? :confused:

Comments

• What meme?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Hes the new grumpy cat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,496 ✭✭✭bb1234567

I took as it being a joke about how he's kind of admired/held in esteem for his political/social ambitions by the age groups who share these memes and he's visibly disinterested in the Biden inauguration as even though it's an improvement on Trump it's really just another iteration of the same stodgy old stale government appearing yet again in the US that he is dead set against

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,241 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Same reason any picture becomes iconic. It's an unusual but instantly recognized detail. Also the juxtaposition of strength and power with cute cuddly homemade mittens.

It's also a very easy picture up turn into a meme. It can written on just any photo.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,305 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

pgj2015 wrote: »
    why did Bernie sanders become a meme after the Biden inauguration? I don't get it. is it because of the mittens? are people that bored from the lockdowns that they find entertainment in anything? :confused:

Not one that I could figure out myself either. Of all of them I saw, I didn't find one remotely funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

What meme?

imageedit_4912_9952013630.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,016 ✭✭✭pgj2015

its just not funny though, an old guy sitting on a bench, and it gets even less funny the more everyone jumps on the bandwagon.

• bb1234567 wrote: »
    I took as it being a joke about how he's kind of admired/held in esteem for his political/social ambitions by the age groups who share these memes and he's visibly disinterested in the Biden inauguration as even though it's an improvement on Trump it's really just another iteration of the same stodgy old stale government appearing yet again in the US that he is dead set against

Much better said than I.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

0_Screen-Shot-2021-01-24-at-041113.png

What bb1:7 said above, the people who meme generally like him. It's also a harmless laugh which is quite nice at the moment considering how awful American politics is around now

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

He was like a guy who had to go to some wanky theatre but would rather be at home having a cup of tea and a slice of cake.

Chocolate sponge cake.

With a bit of fresh cream.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

81c.png

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

The Bernie one was cute so it took off. My family started sending various Bernie memes out, some great, some not so great.

It's fun and harmless.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭The Phantom Jipper

Ah.

Because he knows Biden is in the pocket of Wall Street and is full of sh*t.

I'm guessing this is something you believed already and are projecting onto anyone who enjoyed the memes now?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

It's the sheer vibe of "I'd rather be anywhere than here right now" that gets me and I can certainly relate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Ah.

Because he knows Biden is in the pocket of Wall Street and is full of sh*t.

I fail to see the connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭notsoyoungwan

bb1234567 wrote: »

Oh. I just thought it was cos he was dressed like he was walking to the shops on a wet, miserable, cold day rather than attending a presidential inauguration and the juxtaposition of him with the pomp and ceremony was amusing. Plus he looked like he would rather be at home in front of the fire with a cup of tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Northernlily

I didn't find it remotely humorous either Tbh. But it trended like fook across all platforms so what do I know.

I fail to see the connection.

There isn't one. But it sounds clever and will probably get a few thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

He's like their version of Michael D.

A cute, inoffensive, cuddly ould fella.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

I didn't find it remotely humorous either Tbh. But it trended like fook across all platforms so what do I know.

It isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,343 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

There isn't one. But it sounds clever and will probably get a few thanks.

Big wallstreet firms love regulations and being told to cut emissions all right

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭O'Neill

He's like their version of Michael D.

A cute, inoffensive, cuddly ould fella.

attachment.php?attachmentid=541499&stc=1&d=1612026998

• Registered Users Posts: 7,984 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I still prefer the Leonardo DiCaprio Django meme

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

He has a lot of fans, he's normcore,
    He has no interest in fashion, he dress, s to be warm. The inarguration is where
    people wear formal high fashion cloths
    No one else would wear mittens at such a high profile event
    He's not even trying to look cool
    He's like the USA version of Michael D

• Site Banned Posts: 2 BLM Drone

Feel the Bern!

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

How some men can cross the legs like that and I can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

pgj2015 wrote: »
    are people that bored from the lockdowns that they find entertainment in anything? :confused:

"Why are memes a thing?"

Anywho.

https://youtu.be/I_KDeKut2uA

• Advertisement

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Big wallstreet firms love regulations and being told to cut emissions all right

Bit of a paradox there, but ok...

Advertisement