Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wondrous adventures of Sinn Fein (part 3) Mod Notes and Threadbanned List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,306 ✭✭✭jmcc

Typo. Good on ya though.

While you’re at it there, horse, you wouldn’t mind withdrawing the implication I’m somehow being paid to post here by FG. I’d suggest that would be a considerable waste of money on their behalf.
    One would never think that you are being paid for posting by FG hence the smiley. If you were being paid then you would not have made that unfortunate typo.

FFG has been complaining about SF receiving a bequest of a few million Pounds recently and this, apparently, makes it the richest Irish political party. Think that some FFer (Daragh O'Brien?) was trying to bring in legislation to stop SF using the bequest. It seems that FF and FG are rather miffed at no longer being the rich parties of Irish politics.

Regards...jmcc

Let me get this straight, because there was a conflict/war SF can never mention a gun again? Even it is a reference to another party shooting itself in the foot?

Is this guy for real? :):)
    Wait until poor Philip finds out that there was a character in that cartoon called Jerry who always won. :)

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

I see Philip Ryan has posted a tweet of the type of abuse he gets from shinnerbots on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/philip_ryan/status/1384561913619693570?s=21

It’s mild enough in comparison to being told to go back to sucking Leo’s cock, but it was liked by an identifiable member of SF.

They really aren’t a normal party.

Oh Lord. The Indo's political editor is scared by Tom & Jerry!!!
    Perhaps he should be tucked up in bed at this hour instead of playing around on Twitter if that's the standard of stuff that upsets him.

jmcc wrote: »
    One would never think that you are being paid for posting by FG hence the smiley. If you were being paid then you would not have made that unfortunate typo.

FFG has been complaining about SF receiving a bequest of a few million Pounds recently and this, apparently, makes it the richest Irish political party. Think that some FFer (Daragh O'Brien?) was trying to bring in legislation to stop SF using the bequest. It seems that FF and FG are rather miffed at no longer being the rich parties of Irish politics.

Regards...jmcc

Pulling a lad up on a typo is a bit petty, pal. I could head into the pit with you and point out a few home truths about you and the type of poster you are, but I won’t bother. You’re the angry one, and that’s comfort enough for me.

Just two post up you brought up "The schema for such a small database, as described by the reports, would be quite simple"

You are literally the only one trying to portray yourself as a database expert.
    No. I am simply saying that the schema (in simplified terms, the fields of content) for such a database is quite simple.

At its most basic, it would only have the voter's name, their address, their constituency and, if it is included on the electoral register, the polling station.

From the newspaper reports, it would also have to have a record of past voting and perhaps an indication of whether the voter wants to receive election literature and intends to vote SF in an upcoming election. It might also have to include some timestamps for the record, contact details, and any updates.

It is the kind of database that could be built quite quickly. The main issue for SF would be importing the electoral register data and ensuring that it was imported correctly. It would then have to check the quality of the data. Sometimes the electoral register data for a voter will not be 100% accurate. That might a require a few more fields. The main issue with such a database is not a complex structure but rather the quality of the data.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement

Pulling a lad up on a typo is a bit petty, pal.
    We all make them. But you have to admit it was a funny one. :)

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭RandomName2

No. I am simply saying that the schema (in simplified terms, the fields of content) for such a database is quite simple.

At its most basic, it would only have the voter's name, their address, their constituency and, if it is included on the electoral register, the polling station.

From the newspaper reports, it would also have to have a record of past voting and perhaps an indication of whether the voter wants to receive election literature and intends to vote SF in an upcoming election. It might also have to include some timestamps for the record, contact details, and any updates.

I went back to check your sources.

Well I was a bit silly for assuming you had cited any.

Ultimately we don't know how complicated or simple the database schema was, and the complexity of the schema tells nothing of how much data was contained. Probably whatever paper said 'complex' had no grounds for assuming as much.

Chasing up some information about this (or 'deflection' as you'd amusingly describe it) I found that access to SF's database system was provided on sfabu.com. Don't bother going there, they deleted it the other day, and cached versions of the website do not display.

Interestingly the site is registered in America (Massachusetts to be exact). SF has been adamant that the data was stored somewhere in the EU, but refuses to tell journalists (or FGs as you'd describe them) where exactly that is.

Of course there are potential legal implications if SF is ultimately sending confidential information to a pall in the US.

It’s back up and running on sfcanvass.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Regards...jmcc

SF aren't allowed use that 4m in the Republic under our current and longstanding Electoral Laws, nothing to do with proposed legislation. The maximum donation to an Irish political party allowed under the 1997 Electoral Act is 2.5k. Also foreign donations are barred (except from Irish citizens abroad).

%<snip >%
    I found that access to SF's database system was provided on sfabu.com. Don't bother going there, they deleted it the other day, and cached versions of the website do not display.
    The domain name was mentioned in one of the newspaper articles.
    Interestingly the site is registered in America (Massachusetts to be exact).
    The domain name was registered on a US registrar. The registrar was domain.com. This is not an uncommon practice. That's just the domain name. Its nameservers were those of Linode, until they were changed to those of dotster.com.

The domain name registation uses a WHOIS privacy service which obscures the owner of the domain name. Before the domain name was reregistered in 2019, it had been on Chinese registrars and the website was used for gambling affliate links. You can even check that with archive.org.

The IP address for the website on the domain name before it was deactivated was 172.104.154.161 and it is, according to a Google search, an IP hosted in Linode's Frankfurt datacentre. This was also posted up thread.
    Of course there are potential legal implications if SF is ultimately sending confidential information to a pall in the US.
    It is not unusual to see a .com domain name being registered with a US registrar and the website being hosted elsewhere. Eir, for example, outsources most of its gTLD (.com/net/org etc) registrations and has been doing so for decades. The number of Irish ICANN accredited registrars is low because the .ie ccTLD is the major top level domain in the Irish market and most new Irish websites use a .ie now. New registrars in the Irish market are more likely to be .ie registrars rather than ICANN accredited.

You don't seem to understand the difference between a website and a domain name.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

It also has, as has been mentioned multiple times, the voters voting intention.

It is the kind of database that could be built quite quickly. The main issue for SF would be importing the electoral register data and ensuring that it was imported correctly. It would then have to check the quality of the data. Sometimes the electoral register data for a voter will not be 100% accurate. That might a require a few more fields. The main issue with such a database is not a complex structure but rather the quality of the data.

The complexity of the underlying DB is not in the remit of GDPR or the DPC. It is the data itself that is subject to investigation, especially the issue of consent from the people whose names and addresses appear in the DB.
    It is clear that SF is in breach of GDPR as they never asked for this consent whose personal data appear in their Abu system.

The DPC should take them to the cleaners, but... its all a conspiracy against poor SF.

markodaly wrote: »
    It also has, as has been mentioned multiple times, the voters voting intention.
    You cut that section out of my quoted post.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Interestingly the site is registered in America (Massachusetts to be exact). SF has been adamant that the data was stored somewhere in the EU, but refuses to tell journalists (or FGs as you'd describe them) where exactly that is.

Germany is where the datacentre is. Hesse, Frankfurt. A little knowledge is dangerous.

Regards...jmcc

As someone who has designed and maintained DB's in the past I pissed my self laughing reading this nonsense. You've no clue about DB's fella.

I see the auld fella of former SF councillor Jonathan Dowdall was up in court this evening in relation to the Regency attack. Dowdall Jr is currently serving a lengthy sentence for another matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,756 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

I see the auld fella of former SF councillor Jonathan Dowdall was up in court this evening in relation to the Regency attack. Dowdall Jr is currently serving a lengthy sentence for another matter.
    The judge said the Gardaí were searching Jonathan Dowdall’s house on the Navan Road on 9 March, 2016 in relation to a separate matter, when they found a USB flash drive.
    https://www.thejournal.ie/dowdall-3420773-Jun2017/ Regency shooting was February 5, 2016

very unlucky

Getting back on topic, it seems that the FG attempt to deflect from Varadkar being questioned under caution and having his phone seized has backfired and now all parties are being called before the Oireachtas Housing Committee to explain their online activities.

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1384498148786249728

On the speculation that I am an SF member or supporter, I'm much, much worse than that. I'm a floating voter who votes.

Regards...jmcc

Oh there isnt a single sf voter or member or employee or slovakian agency or whatever in this thread, im sure we'd all accept that!

Oh there isnt a single sf voter or member or employee or slovakian agency or whatever in this thread, im sure we'd all accept that!
    Who knows? The FGers seem to be very upset about it though. They've never been quite the same since Section 31 ended. I'm just interested in the technical side of things.

Regards...jmcc

I remember that councillor

Twould make you think twice posting against the approved messaging here- they'll be in govt sooner rather than later, it's fair to predict

Theyll have all the databases they want then

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

https://www.thejournal.ie/dowdall-3420773-Jun2017/ Regency shooting was February 5, 2016

very unlucky

Jonathan Dowdall is a good republican.

https://www.independent.ie/regionals/herald/news/monk-in-frame-over-secret-tape-and-gun-range-break-39377571.html

"Dowdall threatened to cut his victim's fingers off and talked about chopping him up and feeding him to dogs.

He also bragged that he was a member of the IRA and close friends of Gerry Adams and Mary Lou McDonald.

The father and son are currently serving eight and four-year prison sentences after pleading guilty to false imprisonment and making threats to kill their terrified victim."

#anormalparty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,223 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Getting back on topic, it seems that the FG attempt to deflect from Varadkar being questioned under caution and having his phone seized has backfired and now all parties are being called before the Oireachtas Housing Committee to explain their online activities.

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1384498148786249728

On the speculation that I am an SF member or supporter, I'm much, much worse than that. I'm a floating voter who votes.

Regards...jmcc

Claims to be getting back on topic, then mentions FG and Varadkar within the next 10 words on what is supposed to be a Sinn Fein thread. Lol.

As is always the case with a SF supporter/acolyte/defender/neutral voter, truth and reality are always distant.

I see Philip Ryan has posted a tweet of the type of abuse he gets from shinnerbots on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/philip_ryan/status/1384561913619693570?s=21

It’s mild enough in comparison to being told to go back to sucking Leo’s cock, but it was liked by an identifiable member of SF.

They really aren’t a normal party.

Look, its par for the course at this stage. The underbelly of Sinn Fein is well and truly exposed if you want to look, unfortunately, too many people keep their head in the sand.

It will be brushed away on here.

Shocking account of the type of people that inhabit Sinn Fein. Only the lowest of the low appear to be welcome there.

blanch152 wrote: »
    Look, its par for the course at this stage. The underbelly of Sinn Fein is well and truly exposed if you want to look, unfortunately, too many people keep their head in the sand.

It will be brushed away on here.

This Dowdall story might not be easy to brush away for SF.

Interesting times if the Monk gets brought back.

Funnily enough it would be the Kinehan side they’d have tighter links with.

Funnily enough it would be the Kinehan side they’d have tighter links with.

Isn't that why they dumped Dowdall so quickly.

If you are going to get in with gangsters, at least get in with those who are politically connected to SF.

blanch152 wrote: »
    Shocking account of the type of people that inhabit Sinn Fein. Only the lowest of the low appear to be welcome there.

It's lies and a conspiracy didn't you know?

So the SF database issue has been dropped in favour of a crime issue? Guess FG's tech support has knocked off for the night. :)

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement

Breaking news jmcc, things come in and they move fast.

Senior hurling has a pace to it

Felicitations snoopsheep

Advertisement