Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Offseason 2021 - Trades, Free Agency, QB Carousel

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

MOD NOTE: Please keep your comments respectful. Do not refer to opposing options as nonsense. if you can't be civil in your posts then please do not post.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭nerd69

That dak deal makes sense big payout year one where they would have had to pay him.either way. Then two years at a market rate and a big drop.off for year 4. The no tag clause surprised me.

The big issue with the team is they paid a rb. More and more we are seeing that you just can't do that (perhaps derrick henry will be the exception) I feel like they are going to target that 4th year of low cap to go all but they need to absoloutly nail their defensive draft picks going forward

• Registered Users Posts: 21,373 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Especially in a low cap year, anyone that paid a non key position (like RB) big money is going to find it hard to pay everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Pats are trading for Trent Brown. Hopefully he's as good as he was last time around.

Probably means Thuney is gone, with Wynn moving to guard. Or maybe Cannon isn't coming back after all.

He was a part of that great running offense in the playoffs a couple years ago. We need that again so I'm happy with the trade once we dont overpay

• Advertisement

I'm sure Mike Reiss is delighted to interview him again :D

DjJD3BoV4AAz8px.jpg:large

• Registered Users Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

ELM327 wrote: »
    He was a part of that great running offense in the playoffs a couple years ago. We need that again so I'm happy with the trade once we dont overpay

We have up a 5th, and get a 7th back. He's reworked his deal too, and will be a FA next year.

Probably means Cannon is not coming back, you'd have to think, and Onwenu kicking inside to take Thuney's spot at Guard. Either way, we'd plenty of uncertainty on the OL so he is a great addition.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Cam Robinson franchise tagged by Jax, Godwin tagged by Tampa. Apparently.

That is one potential destination for Trent Williams off the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭letowski

Kenny Golladay to hit the FA. Good player. He will attract plenty of teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭markc91

Hunter Henry gone too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,515 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

letowski wrote:
    Kenny Golladay to hit the FA. Good player. He will attract plenty of teams.
    Massively talented player but coming off an injury troubled season. A season where he came back but went down again. I think that'll affect the offers he gets.

Allen Robinson tagged. I think a lot of fans from other teams are disappointed lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭Blut2

The Cowboys had to do the Dak deal I guess, but they're going to be in real cap hell come 2022 because of it.

Assuming a $210mn cap (which is currently predicted but isn't guaranteed - theres a good chance the NFL'll try to spread the hit for 2021 across a few seasons apparently, which might make 2022 closer to $200mn):

Dak's cap hit will be $33.2mn, 15.89% of cap
    DeMarcus Lawrence's cap hit will be $27mn, 12.92% of the cap
    Amari Cooper's cap hit will be $22mn, 10.53% of the cap

Thats almost 40% of the cap taken up on those 3 players alone... The Cowboys are really going to struggle to pay any talent not on rookie contracts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

Blut2 wrote: »
    The Cowboys had to do the Dak deal I guess, but they're going to be in real cap hell come 2022 because of it.

Assuming a $210mn cap (which is currently predicted but isn't guaranteed - theres a good chance the NFL'll try to spread the hit for 2021 across a few seasons apparently, which might make 2022 closer to $200mn):

Dak's cap hit will be $33.2mn, 15.89% of cap
    DeMarcus Lawrence's cap hit will be $27mn, 12.92% of the cap
    Amari Cooper's cap hit will be $22mn, 10.53% of the cap

Thats almost 40% of the cap taken up on those 3 players alone... The Cowboys are really going to struggle to pay any talent not on rookie contracts.

I havent bothered to look, but I assume Elliotts would be a fair chunk as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

Zeke counts 13.7m against the cap this year, 16.5m in 2022.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭VillaMad

Deadline has passed for franchise tags:

Franchise taged
    Chris Godwin - WR - Tampa Bay
    Justin Simmons - S - Denver
    Allen Robinson - WR - Chicago
    Cam Robinson - OT - Jacksonville
    Leonard Williams - DE - New York Giants
    Marcus Maye - S - New York Jets
    Brandon Scherff - OG - Washington
    Taylor Moton - OT - Carolina
    Marcus Williams - S - New Orleans

• Registered Users Posts: 9,364 ✭✭✭Shedite27

letowski wrote: »
    Prescott 4y/$160m $126m g

Going rate I suppose.
    Enjoy the Pro bowls Dak

https://twitter.com/NFL_Memes/status/1369401188504993795?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭Blut2

phatkev wrote: »
    I havent bothered to look, but I assume Elliotts would be a fair chunk as well?

Yup. Hes a $16.5mn cap hit for the 2022 season as D9Male said. Which would be bad value for money for any team given how productive low cost/rookie RBs are. But will be even more-so for the Cowboys when they'll have so much of their cap gone on Dak/Amari/DeMarcus Lawrence.

I think they're going to really struggle to make the numbers work.

Malcolm Butler released also. Obviously in hindsight, the initial disappointment when we let him walk and brought Gilmore in was silly. Actually surprised to see that Butler is older than Gilmore too.

Jonnu Smith another big-ish name being let test FA.

Blut2 wrote: »
    Yup. Hes a $16.5mn cap hit for the 2022 season as D9Male said. Which would be bad value for money for any team given how productive low cost/rookie RBs are. But will be even more-so for the Cowboys when they'll have so much of their cap gone on Dak/Amari/DeMarcus Lawrence.

I think they're going to really struggle to make the numbers work.

Think copper and Zeke have no garintees past this year though right? I'd wager cooper gone and a major restructure for both at the very least

• Advertisement

Shedite27 wrote: »

Guys like brees (who has been a head of the nflpa) have said that it's bad for the league if guys take paycuts and it affects them come.negotoation time. As far as I'm aware brady just doesn't care about the nflpa (likely because his wife is worth around 400 million dollars)

Widely rumoured now that the salary cap with by at $182.5m

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

letowski wrote: »
    Widely rumoured now that the salary cap with by at $182.5m

Ugh, was hoping they’d work something out to bring it up over $190m at least. My Steelers are going to get absolutely eviscerated.

How the fook are the Saints re-signing all these guys with the situation they are in, they even tagged Marcus Williams

The low cap year is going to be interesting. I wouldnt like to be hitting FA at the end of my rookie contract this year.

The low cap year is going to be interesting. I wouldnt like to be hitting FA at the end of my rookie contract this year.

Equally for a team with a lot of cap this could be ideal

Agreed.
    Makes the deal for Watt even more outstanding.

Steelers and Saints are going to be in rebuild mode.

So here's an interest question
    Jags are taking lawrence and have a lot of cap. Are they better off using it to build an offence around their young qb or a defence so he can get more used to winning.

Secondaraly if it's offence do you build a strong run game for him or a deep passing game or somewhere in between

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭boccy23

Agreed.
    Makes the deal for Watt even more outstanding.

Steelers and Saints are going to be in rebuild mode.

I assume you mean from Watt's side. This will not be the case for the Cardinals. But they are definitely a "kick the can down the road" team where it comes to Cap management. Just look at their Larry Fitzgerald contract management over the years.

There is a growing 2 tier philosophy of this or keeping all flat contracts and not having dead money coming back to bite a team. I see a conversation in Giants circles at the moment over Dave Gettleman's commenting on this. He was referencing, not directly, the Eagles situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

nerd69 wrote: »
    Jags are taking lawrence and have a lot of cap. Are they better off using it to build an offence around their young qb or a defence so he can get more used to winning.

Secondaraly if it's offence do you build a strong run game for him or a deep passing game or somewhere in between

They already have some good receivers in Chark and Shenault, and Robinson at RB. They’ve drafted DLine heavily in recent years so presumably it’s secondary and OLine that will be their focus in the rest of the draft and FA

They could be very good in a year or two if they manage this opportunity well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

nerd69 wrote: »

After seeing this situation play out so many times for the Jets, I'm surrounding a rookie QB with as much offensive pieces as I can, starting with the oline. You can have all the talent you want on defense, but if your young QB is getting bashed at every opportunity he's never going to progress

Advertisement