Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving by the sea

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,119 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Your probably better to ring property agents in the locality.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Alfred123 wrote: »
    I had a friend move to Kilrush. Lasted all of 2 mnths. A 'ne'er do well, rowdy' element populate the place of late according to him.

Wherever you do decide to move, i guess spending a week or so there on a recce mission before hand will help you decide if its for you or not.

Im looking for something similar myself and if 'Daft' is the only means of finding a place, then things are not looking too good

Seaside villages it will always be worth trying to get an Airbnb in July and stay over the long weekend, gauge the scald, noise and litter level.
    The last thing you want to find is that your new home features a 3 month long festival of discarded cheap lager and louts with their tops off fighting and shouting till all hours

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

if you don't care about which coast you are on, stick to the east coast.
    It's a lot nicer being outdoorsy without the almost constant mist/drizzle/rain you get on the West coast. Somewhere like Achill or Gwedoore is magnificent, but most days of the year you can't see how magnificent they are through the mist!

if you don't live on the west coast you tend to forget how wet it is.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Go for it, whatever destination you choose it's definitely worth it.

Bought by the sea, 200m from the beach in North Co. Dublin and moved in at the end of 2019, so worth it having the beach nearby and freedom to actually do a few things during the lockdown.

Tramore is lovely as is Dunmore, have personal experience of both but as said earlier, are extremely quiet during the winters, even more so now the pubs and cafes are closed or only allowing take aways. Both within easy reach of Waterford and under 2 hours from Dublin.

As nice as it is to be away from it all, you will miss a big city or town nearby which I why I would recommend being somewhere near one for when you want to get those few bits that are not normally stocked in the local convenience stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭bridest

Pretzill wrote: »
    Have you thought about somewhere like Wicklow Town? On the coast - good swim areas but big enough town with good links to the capital. I live in the West and I find the ocean a challenge for swimming.

Very difficult to find any rentals around Wicklow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭bridest

Lots of people swim all year round, but the rest of what you say makes sense. Out of season resorts are depressing and it is best to choose a place close to or in an urban area with Sligo excluded my shortlist on the west coast would be.

Donegal Town.
    Westport.
    Tralee.
    Dingle.

Wildcards.
    Ballina (not that handy for beaches)
    Clifden.

I swim all year around as it is, in a lake. Thanks for those tips

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

bridest wrote: »
    Very difficult to find any rentals around Wicklow

Yeah, I didn't realise how popular it has become - some nice buys there but I can see they are much higher priced in rentals and property than the west. Anywhere on any of our coasts will probably be pricier though - what about somewhere slightly off the beaten track like Arthurstown or Fethard in Wexford?

Advertisement