Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving by the sea

Options
  • 27-01-2021 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭

hello,
    after this current level 5 ends , myself and my girlfriend are considering moving somewhere near the coast.
    we are both working from home and it looking unlikely we will get on a sun holiday anytime soon, we've decided we would try rent a house by the sea.

I'm thinking either south, Wexford / Waterford direction or over west, Galway or Clare.

Spotted a place in Kilrush, Co.Clare, but seems like a pretty small town.
    Any opinion on Tramore?

I love sea swimming, she loves walking and hiking.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Rustyman101

bridest wrote: »
    hello,
    after this current level 5 ends , myself and my girlfriend are considering moving somewhere near the coast.
    we are both working from home and it looking unlikely we will get on a sun holiday anytime soon, we've decided we would try rent a house by the sea.

I'm thinking either south, Wexford / Waterford direction or over west, Galway or Clare.

Any opinion on Tramore?

dunmore co waterford, all the way but pricey !

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Might as well add good broadband into the mix if your WFH.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭db

Most coastal areas in Clare are very isolated outside of the summer season. Kilrush is a country town on the Shannon Estuary about 15 minutes from Kilkee. To be honest it wouldn't be my choice if I wanted to be near the sea. On the west coast you could try looking for somewhere near Galway, maybe out towards Spiddal. Tramore has a lot going for it as a place to live - near to Waterford, fantastic open sea swimming, not far from the Greenway for walking and cycling and plenty of places to go along the coast to Dungarvan for walking etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Feets

Some fab properties in Tramore. Its a real outdoorsy place .

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭bridest

db wrote: »
    Most coastal areas in Clare are very isolated outside of the summer season. Kilrush is a country town on the Shannon Estuary about 15 minutes from Kilkee. To be honest it wouldn't be my choice if I wanted to be near the sea. On the west coast you could try looking for somewhere near Galway, maybe out towards Spiddal. Tramore has a lot going for it as a place to live - near to Waterford, fantastic open sea swimming, not far from the Greenway for walking and cycling and plenty of places to go along the coast to Dungarvan for walking etc.

Yes a friend has recommended Tramore

• Advertisement

Might as well add good broadband into the mix if your WFH.

Yes an important consideration. I have 2 wifi dongles that are working well for us here, but of course the signal would need to be good for them to work wherever we end up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Stars03827

Wexford would be lovely or Kerry, if that's not too far away for you both. Great idea

Donegal if WiFi allows- you’ll get better value, bigger house and closer to the sea if costs are an issue.
    Any decent property close to sea in south east will be massive prices to rent this summer due to staycations

• Registered Users Posts: 28,119 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

You'd be better off in Lahinch/Ennistymon than Kilrush, you'll struggle to find somewhere to rent in Lahinch holiday market is too lucrative come summer it's busy all year round though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

dunmore co waterford, all the way but pricey !

Dunmore is fantastic, very quiet in Winter though. One side of the village has brutal phone reception. The other v good as apparently one of the head honchos from 3 lives there and so that's where the best signal is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭hoganj

You would really have to check out the areas first.
    Dunmore is lovely and quaint but probably too quiet.
    Tramore is lovely, surrounded by the copper coast (cycling and walks etc) and great for sea swimming/surfing/kite surfing. Lots of housing estates there too by the golf course.

They are not a million miles away from civilisation too if you want to nip up to Dublin or Cork.

Co.Clare I can't speak for but probably lovely too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

You need to be careful about renting in the holiday resort locations. You can be given a lease in winter when it's quiet and then kicked out when the tourist season starts. The advantage of a place like Kilrush is that it is not a holiday resort and you will be able to negotiate a 12 month lease with confidence that you won't be kicked out for the Summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,697 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Rent first , see if you can get a short term lease. If you don't enjoy the location you can move on.

listermint wrote: »
    Rent first , see if you can get a short term lease. If you don't enjoy the location you can move on.

That's our plan

What about Dungarvan!?

What about Dungarvan!?

If your into sea swimming you might enjoy the west coast more, not sure if it's once a week or every day but there's a sea swim in milton malby, https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/Sports-League/White-Strand-Open-Water-Swimming-149413828463801/
    You've all the surfing then up along the coast if it's something you'd like to get into and some of the beaches are amazing with decent waves.
    I'd pick the west over the east any day, different planet over there.

If your into sea swimming you might enjoy the west coast more, not sure if it's once a week or every day but there's a sea swim in milton malby, https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/Sports-League/White-Strand-Open-Water-Swimming-149413828463801/
    You've all the surfing then up along the coast if it's something you'd like to get into and some of the beaches are amazing with decent waves.
    I'd pick the west over the east any day, different planet over there.
    Cool, thank you.
    I've a friend living in La Hinch. He moved at the start of January. He's loving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

Sligo has two seaside suburbs Rosses Point and Strandhill that are under 10KM from Sligo on good roads with an hourly bus service, both are relatively pricy compared to the surrounding areas (but are more affordable than Westport which is another option in the west) Strandhill is surfing and laid back and Rosses Point sailing and a little snooty so whichever vibe you might prefer. The Maugherarow peninsula is another option in Sligo more rural and about 15Km away more of a hippy scene and cheaper than the two villages mentioned above, fibre and 5G in all the above. . Easky and Enniscrone are two other surfing villages located in west Sligo, cheap but more isolated. They are currently building a dual carriageway between Collooney and Catlebaldwin which will reduce journey times between Sligo and Dublin to below 1/12 hours. Sligo is currently enjoying a mini-boom in outdoorsy types relocating from the east coast so you might have to move fast. Rentals are available year-round in all the above.

The area around Westport is great and you might consider the stretches out to Loisbourgh and Newport or even Mulranney. The north and north-west Mayos coasts are fantastic but sparsely populated and remote. Phone signals tend to be poor in mountain parts ditto for Donegal below.

Donegal has a great coastline but is the county that is the hardest to get to from most places in Ireland, most of the beachy places apart from Bundoran and Rossnowlagh require further journeys on often bad roads. Bundoran has huge potential as surf town but the powers that be locally prefer to make their money from slot machine addicts from the North and it can be depressing especially in winter. Donegal Town (yes it is coastal) is a little gem, though the Diamond does get crowded in summer and is over 3 hours from Dublin on roads that are mostly poor after Cavan

Cool, thank you.
    I've a friend living in La Hinch. He moved at the start of January. He's loving it.

Yea it's a cool little village, ask him to check the wall on the way into joe's cafe is there anything to rent locally. There's so much to do at either side of you doubt either of you would get bored.
    Fanore is a great beach if the tide is in on Lahinch.

Sligo has two seaside suburbs Rosses Point and Strandhill that are under 10KM from Sligo on good roads with an hourly bus service, both are relatively pricy compared to the surrounding areas (but are more affordable than Westport which is another option in the west) Strandhill is surfing and laid back and Rosses Point sailing and a little snooty so whichever vibe you might prefer. The Maugherarow peninsula is another option in Sligo more rural and about 15Km away more of a hippy scene and cheaper than the two villages mentioned above, fibre and 5G in all the above. . Easky and Enniscrone are two other surfing villages located in west Sligo, cheap but more isolated. They are currently building a dual carriageway between Collooney and Catlebaldwin which will reduce journey times between Sligo and Dublin to below 1/12 hours. Sligo is currently enjoying a mini-boom in outdoorsy types relocating from the east coast so you might have to move fast. Rentals are available year-round in all the above.

The area around Westport is great and you might consider the stretches out to Loisbourgh and Newport or even Mulranney. The north and north-west Mayos coasts are fantastic but sparsely populated and remote. Phone signals tend to be poor in mountain parts ditto for Donegal below.

Donegal has a great coastline but is the county that is the hardest to get to from most places in Ireland, most of the beachy places apart from Bundoran and Rossnowlagh require further journeys on often bad roads. Bundoran has huge potential as surf town but the powers that be locally prefer to make their money from slot machine addicts from the North and it can be depressing especially in winter. Donegal Town (yes it is coastal) is a little gem, though the Diamond does get crowded in summer and is over 3 hours from Dublin on roads that are mostly poor after Cavan

Iived in Sligo before, not going back!
    I did enjoy sea swimming around Rosses Point but there are various reasons that I've no love for the place now

I'm from Cavan, roads have improved a lot over the years, if you haven't been around n Cavan recently.

My girlfriend doesn't drive and I'd like to be somewhere within 30 min walk to a town, so she doesn't feel too isoloted and doesn't feel like she would have to rely on me everytime to go to a shop. Have something lined up near La Hinch, but only until end of May, as owner is hoping for a holiday season. But not ready to move until March so still have time

• Advertisement

There's a dedicated cycle/walk footpath from Ennistymon to Lahinch if she needed to go in but you'll get most things you need in the village.

Just looking on Daft there is very little availability to rent anywhere on the west coast from Derry down, except god help us all Letterkenny. Tralee which is an often underlooked town has 6 units, lots of beaches close by and plenty of hill walking on Dingle Pen. Nice looking cottage for 750pm in Lixnaw.

https://www.daft.ie/for-rent/house-thistle-cottage-gortadrislig-lixnaw-co-kerry/2879665

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Agree re Westport ( being a Mayo dweller) . So many lovely coastal places nearby . Enjoy the search! Mulranny has a glorious beach but is a little sparse re shops etc eg no pharmacy.

And yes, very few rentals just now.

Or how about eg Achill?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 27 Davauer

Living by sea is not pleasant in winter it's cold and damp and you will not be going swimming you need a house with good heating and pretty modem also good internet broadband and cellphone service.you will find a lot of home break-ins if there are a lot of empty holiday homes on the area so I would live in a built up place were locals live.a friend had a holiday home and they broke in every week stole kitchen cabinets.boiler and had party's there and set 2 fires

Davauer wrote: »
    Living by sea is not pleasant in winter it's cold and damp and you will not be going swimming you need a house with good heating and pretty modem also good internet broadband and cellphone service.you will find a lot of home break-ins if there are a lot of empty holiday homes on the area so I would live in a built up place were locals live.a friend had a holiday home and they broke in every week stole kitchen cabinets.boiler and had party's there and set 2 fires

Lots of people swim all year round, but the rest of what you say makes sense. Out of season resorts are depressing and it is best to choose a place close to or in an urban area with Sligo excluded my shortlist on the west coast would be.

Donegal Town.
    Westport.
    Tralee.
    Dingle.

Wildcards.
    Ballina (not that handy for beaches)
    Clifden.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭lcwill

hello,

Any opinion on Tramore?

What about a bit more south-west down in Cork - somewhere Clonakilty / Kinsale / or Schull/Ballydehob/Skibbereen area?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Davauer wrote: »

There are plenty of good villages and small towns by the sea where none of this applies; and it applies equally or more in rural areas away from the sea. it is lovely in winter, peaceful, and I have excellent internet and phone service.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭French Toast

My girlfriend doesn't drive and I'd like to be somewhere within 30 min walk to a town, so she doesn't feel too isoloted and doesn't feel like she would have to rely on me everytime to go to a shop. Have something lined up near La Hinch, but only until end of May, as owner is hoping for a holiday season. But not ready to move until March so still have time

Ennistymon could be suitable. Well equipped little town that has had a revival of sorts recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Have you thought about somewhere like Wicklow Town? On the coast - good swim areas but big enough town with good links to the capital. I live in the West and I find the ocean a challenge for swimming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Alfred123

I had a friend move to Kilrush. Lasted all of 2 mnths. A 'ne'er do well, rowdy' element populate the place of late according to him.

Wherever you do decide to move, i guess spending a week or so there on a recce mission before hand will help you decide if its for you or not.

Im looking for something similar myself and if 'Daft' is the only means of finding a place, then things are not looking too good

Advertisement