Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

600 Houses/Apartments to be built in Temple Carrig

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,541 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

The problem is that we simply don't have the infrastructure for the number of homes we have at present however this fact is ignored and we just continue to build uncontrollably.

The "plan" is that they may consider making a half hearted attempt at doing something completely inadequate in around 10 years time when the situation is even more fcuked up.

Meanwhile Greystones looses all of its charm and continues on a downward trajectory destined to become a Finglas / Ballymun / Blanchardstown clone. All we get is the same old "people need houses" excuse as if the houses being built in the area are within the financial reach of ordinary people.

[/RANT]

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭REFLINE1

2011 wrote: »
    The problem is that we simply don't have the infrastructure for the number of homes we have at present however this fact is ignored and we just continue to build uncontrollably.

The "plan" is that they may consider making a half hearted attempt at doing something completely inadequate in around 10 years time when the situation is even more fcuked up.

Meanwhile Greystones looses all of its charm and continues on a downward trajectory destined to become a Finglas / Ballymun / Blanchardstown clone. All we get is the same old "people need houses" excuse as if the houses being built in the area are within the financial reach of ordinary people.

[/RANT]

lol while i agree with your sentiment about poor infrastructure planning, I think you might be getting a bit carried away with your comparisons.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,541 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

REFLINE1 wrote: »
    lol while i agree with your sentiment about poor infrastructure planning, I think you might be getting a bit carried away with your comparisons.

Give it time...

I remember Greystones and Delgany in the eighties and even before.
    The changes have been monumental.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭REFLINE1

Give it time...

No doubt, but still, its not reasonable to predict its going to turn into Finglas or Ballymun as a result of building too many housing estates, particularly given they have an entry price of circa 500k.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Cluster

[/RANT]

lol Ballymun

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭jpd

Give it time...

Yup
    Population of Ireland
    1980¦3.393 Million
    2019¦4.904 Million

• Registered Users Posts: 40,924 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

loyatemu wrote: »
    the council zoned the land for housing in 2015; the development was inevitable from that point.

There's a lot of complaining about the SHD process but as far as I can see, ABP generally go along with whatever is on the council plan.
    There's no reason to think WCC would have decided any differently and it would have been appealed to ABP either way.

School places - I don't know what's happened there. GCC wasn't even supposed to open until next September originally, but even if they were in their new building and taking in a full intake of first years, there would still be a shortage of places. Historically a big proportion of kids leaving primary went to schools outside the town; maybe the Dept was basing it's projections on that, but with more secondary schools available locally now, fewer parents are willing to send their kids off on the Dart (and pay fees...).

Its not like this is is a new thing about school places.

Politicians in Greystones have been highlighting lack of school places for about 7 or 8 years.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Highlighting lack of school places is all well and good - doing something about it would be far, far better

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Donatron

jpd wrote: »
    Yup
    Population of Ireland
    1980¦3.393 Million
    2019¦4.904 Million

While I get your point, just want to note that population of Greystones in 1980 was around 6,500. Based on your figures above the proportionate increase would be to around 9,500 today. Population from 2016 census was 18,000, very likely well over 20,000 now. Greystones is becoming one of the largest towns in the country while essentially comprising one village main street.
    I would probably class that as monumental change.

Most of the population increase since 1980 has been concentrated in and around Dublin (I wonder why? Jobs?)

If we want to improve our living conditions, then we need to make sure that the politicians we elect understand what we want AND are willing to pay for.

It is all very well saying we want more open spaces, public transport, schools, teachers, nurses, etc etc but we must be prepared to pay more taxes

In general, when given the choice, the electorate chooses reduced taxes and then complain about the lack of facilities

Of course, a more honest electioneering policy would be better but I am not convinced that would work. After all, surely we can just tax the rich (whoever they are) to get everything for free!

• Advertisement
Advertisement