Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

600 Houses/Apartments to be built in Temple Carrig

Options
  • 27-01-2021 10:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭

Cairn Homes will be building a massive new estate in Temple Carrig (Close to Lidl, Opposite the Graveyard)
    I very strongly feel we have hit breaking point in terms of infrastructure.

The Bray-Greystones road is like the M50, Schools & Medical centers are over-subscribed. Services like Broadband, Power & Water are beginning to fail.
    When school & offices open back up, the traffic in the morning/evening is going to be horrendous.

There are huge trucks & lorries thundering up tiny roads with supplies to build these developments... I really do think it's time to stop and say "Sorry, we are full"

Any other thoughts on the matter?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭oinkely

People need houses, the supply is very short in the area. Every new estate sells out so the houses are needed. Its the associated infrastructure that needs to be developed alongside the houses. Though very little chance of that actually happening! It's up to the CoCo and the planners to deal with those issues - good luck with that!

Simply saying 'we are full' is not really a solution.

School traffic can be resolved by the parents very easily - bikes and shanks mare.
    Office traffic will hopefully be somewhat reduced post covid as home working continues.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,552 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

oinkely wrote: »

Simply building without any sort of a plan is not the solution either.
    We went down this road before and look at what happened.

At least Charlesland has a decent road connecting it to the N11 and Gerystones. There is nothing in place to deal with this new development.
    School traffic can be resolved by the parents very easily - bikes and shanks mare.

I agree that cycling is part fo the solution but with the increased volumes of traffic the roads in the area have become increasingly dangerous. Both of my nephews cycle to school in Greystones and both have colided with cars (luckly they were ok).

Office traffic will hopefully be somewhat reduced post covid as home working continues.

Agreed, but I expect a net increase when things are "back to normal" and these additional homes are completed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,838 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

2011 wrote: »
    Simply building without any sort of a plan is not the solution either.

there is a local development plan. This land was zoned for housing in that plan. Therefore it will get permission, the ship has sailed.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,552 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

loyatemu wrote: »
    there is a local development plan. This land was zoned for housing in that plan. Therefore it will get permission, the ship has sailed.

Sorry my post was poorly worded.

Yes, I know that the ship has sailed. I know the land is zoned but I think this was a poor decision.
    What I mean no workable plan for example, road infrastructure.
    We know that the roads are not fit for purpose for current traffic levels never mind what is on the horizon.

• Administrators Posts: 53,553 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Yes this development has been on the cards for a long time, it shouldn't come as a surprise.

I believe the proposal is the entrance will be opposite the cemetery but also via Waverly.

• Advertisement

the road providing access to this development will also be the first section of a future northern access road to the N11 at Glenview.

there's nothing much that can be done with the road infrastructure in the town itself, other than provide better cycling facilities.

awec wrote: »
    Yes this development has been on the cards for a long time, it shouldn't come as a surprise.

I don't think anyone is surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭fortwilliam

the road providing access to this development will also be the first section of a future northern access road to the N11 at Glenview.

Is there any kind of realistic timeframe for delivery of this road?
    I would imagine 10+years to get through objections, appeals, planning, construction...

Is there any kind of realistic timeframe for delivery of this road?
    I would imagine 10+years to get through objections, appeals, planning, construction...

Currently it's a notional line on a map, it may get done as part of the N11 upgrade, whatever form that takes. All that's certain is that the initial section will provide access to the Cairn lands as that's what was in the most recent development plan.

Beyond that it might use an upgraded Ballydonagh Rd, or an entirely new road parallel to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Cluster

It seems bizarre to me that a developer can build as many houses as they wants but no attention is given to secondary services likes schools, parks, road infrastructure, bus or rail corridor improvements. By all means build houses but its clear they need to build the supporting services too.

Pressure should be brought to bear on them.

PS - I see the creche but that's not enough

PPS - I am also a blow in but obviously Id like to see the area looked after and not just add pressure to everyone's lives who already live here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭jpd

It's is not the builder's responsibility to build schools, shops, creches, etc - that is up to the planning authorities in the county council - sigh!

Currently it's a notional line on a map, it may get done as part of the N11 upgrade, whatever form that takes.

Unfortunately we need a lot more than "a notional line on a map". I would imagine that by the time a road is built it will be insufficient for the homes built in the interviewing period.
    So much for the plan :(

All that's certain is that the initial section will provide access to the Cairn lands as that's what was in the most recent development plan.
    jpd wrote: »
    It's is not the builder's responsibility to build schools, shops, creches, etc - that is up to the planning authorities in the county council - sigh!

...and therein lies the problem.

No wonder its a mess

• Registered Users Posts: 1 G.A.V

oinkely wrote: »
    People need houses, the supply is very short in the area. Every new estate sells out so the houses are needed. Its the associated infrastructure that needs to be developed alongside the houses. Though very little chance of that actually happening! It's up to the CoCo and the planners to deal with those issues - good luck with that!

Glenheron still have vacant houses 1+ year after completion. Marina Village selling 100 apartments to Realis, a German property investor, because glenveagh can’t sell the units. The demand for Farrankelly and the Convent in Delgany could be slow. The common thread? All of these properties are unattainable for first time buyers relying on First time buyers grant. The largest market for new home purchases are now looking further afield because Greystones/Delgany is outside their reach. What will make Coolagad affordable?

G.A.V wrote: »
    What will make Coolagad affordable?

They won’t be affordable to the first time buyer or average person.
    They will be in the same price range as Glenheron, Seagreen etc.

At best there will be a small number of social and affordable housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭oinkely

They are very reasonable arguments - I was of the impression that all / most of the recent developments had been snapped up very quickly. The price point will certainly impact on take up. FWIW, I found the asking prices of these recent developments to be very expensive, and was happy to not have to try and raise the finance to purchase. However, comparing the asking price for similar rentals it would appear to be more cost effective to service a mortgage than rent, if you can raise the mortgage. Very big if, though, given the asking prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Lmkrnr

10% of those will be social housing stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭seasidedub

Regarding the sale of apartments in Marina Village Greystones to a German fund which also bought from Glenveagh in Dundrum - most of those in Dundrum became social housing via HAP. Is this likely to happen in Marina Village?

I mean, I assume if they can't get enough private rental tenants they'll get HAP ones.

I'm a bit worried as have recently bought there. Any thoughts from boardsies?

seasidedub wrote: »

If it happened in Dundrum then I guess it could happen somewhere else.
    Does it make much difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Difference will be, minus 100 - 200K

• Advertisement

I very much doubt that, besides there is nothing to suggest that seasidedub is selling.

Regarding the sale of apartments in Marina Village Greystones to a German fund which also bought from Glenveagh in Dundrum - most of those in Dundrum became social housing via HAP. Is this likely to happen in Marina Village?

I mean, I assume if they can't get enough private rental tenants they'll get HAP ones.

They bought apartments in Dun Laoghaire and handed them over to the council for rent at 2 million euro a year. The IT article said that there was no signal that the fund where going to do the same with the Marina ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭seasidedub

This is a fear, although I am not planning on selling soon. But, I do fear potential anti social behaviour and the estate becoming problematic

This is a fear, although I am not planning on selling soon. But, I do fear potential anti social behaviour and the estate becoming problematic

Anti social behavior is something that is not limited to those in receipt of HAP. Greystones is growing at an incredible rate as this happens anti social behavior and crime in general will increase. That’s the way it works.

Wait until we have a Covid free hot summers day and the marina area will be teaming with people from all income levels and social backgrounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,017 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Lmkrnr wrote: »
    10% of those will be social housing stock.

Not enough. National law used to be 20%

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭StopWatch

2011 wrote: »
    Unfortunately we need a lot more than "a notional line on a map". I would imagine that by the time a road is built it will be insufficient for the homes built in the interviewing period.
    So much for the plan :(

All that's certain is that the initial section will provide access to the Cairn lands as that's what was in the most recent development plan.

...and therein lies the problem.

Where does one even see this "notional line"
    Is there a map available which shows where this road is goin to be?

StopWatch wrote: »
    Where does one even see this "notional line"
    Is there a map available which shows where this road is goin to be?

it's on the Greystones Local Area Plan marked as RO1 (Road Objective 1)

image.png

• Registered Users Posts: 41,017 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

The school numbers are in a crisis already. An Bord Pleansla just agreed to a huge housing developing at Delgany Convent.

This is insane to build Delgany and this - with no infrastructure

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭jpd

Agreed but it is the Co Council's job to plan and prepare the infrastructure not Bord Pleanala

• Advertisement

the council zoned the land for housing in 2015; the development was inevitable from that point.

There's a lot of complaining about the SHD process but as far as I can see, ABP generally go along with whatever is on the council plan.
    There's no reason to think WCC would have decided any differently and it would have been appealed to ABP either way.

School places - I don't know what's happened there. GCC wasn't even supposed to open until next September originally, but even if they were in their new building and taking in a full intake of first years, there would still be a shortage of places. Historically a big proportion of kids leaving primary went to schools outside the town; maybe the Dept was basing it's projections on that, but with more secondary schools available locally now, fewer parents are willing to send their kids off on the Dart (and pay fees...).

Advertisement