Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lance

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Ulrich lost everything else though didn't he?while lance is still a multi-millionaire.

Eilsit. Just checked. Probably still a millionaire but a deeply unhappy one

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Bart Knaggs is a very handsome man.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

A good watch. Though it seems Lance still sees himself as a victim in all of this.

Where does Pat McQuaid fit into all of this, surely as head of the OCI for years while there was a smell of doping about he had to of known? Was it a case of see no evil, hear no evil just to protect the sport?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Cerveza

We all love the juice.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Muahahaha wrote: »
    A good watch. Though it seems Lance still sees himself as a victim in all of this.

Where does Pat McQuaid fit into all of this, surely as head of the OCI for years while there was a smell of doping about he had to of known? Was it a case of see no evil, hear no evil just to protect the sport?

He Sure does!

The UCI knew everything, which is why they wrote to him and advised him against returning after he had retired. He got off scot free but deciding to make a comeback, which was a crazy decision and UCI know that.

USADA offered him the same deal they gave to Hincapi,Hamilton and Co. and He refused it. Instead he went for "All or Nothing" and got nothing. Then he rants on about how they are treated differently to him?

He's nuts!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭E mac

Huge ego. Get the impression he'd do it all again if he could. It was telling that he'd advise his son not to do drugs to further his American football career unless he makes it to the NFL ��

• Registered Users Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Forgot it was on - I think I've a way to access the player...
    Weepsie wrote: »
    Ulrich lost everything else though didn't he?while lance is still a multi-millionaire.
    Whether Ulrich is wealthy or not, he was pretty much f*cked up by the sport to the degree I'd have as a victim as much as a perp. I'm patiently waiting on Friebe's (now long overdue) biography, but I remember reading that he went into 1999 believing it would be clean, and then pretty much mentally killed his career when he realised it wasn't.

Everyone bangs on about how Armstrong is treated differently, but Ulrich pretty much ostracised too (including the German Grand Depart), while team mates like Zabel work away in the sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭E mac

It's funny yesterday evening I started watching 'Dark side of the Ring' it's about American wrestlers who's stories are all sad. Drugs, pushing themselves too hard ending up broken in body and mind. I know professional cycling is completely different but still there were parallels

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Malcomex

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Lance for me a is a bit like Trump. The story was always about him. My own view would be - now that he's gone, lets keep him gone.

Is there anything new to tell ?

He prob took more flak than he should have considering the environment he was competing in at the time

Mainly due to his personality and the fact that he won a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Malcomex wrote: »
    Mainly due to his personality and the fact that he won a lot
    Totally due to his personality. It must never been forgotten, particularly when the ban comparisons are done, he could've got a reduced ban himself if he'd cooperated. People were prepared to talk because of the way he treated them, and his own ego prevented him from coming clean to the investigation.

• Advertisement

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Totally due to his personality. It must never been forgotten, particularly when the ban comparisons are done, he could've got a reduced ban himself if he'd cooperated. People were prepared to talk because of the way he treated them, and his own ego prevented him from coming clean to the investigation.

Ya I mean let's not overlook the prevalence of Epo in the peleton mid- nineties

What was it anecdotally, about 90%?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,788 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Really came across as an absolute wanker and a bully, who has no regrets about anything. He got off lightly if you ask me.
    Pat McQuaid was in my Dad's class in school!

Really came across as an absolute wanker and a bully, who has no regrets about anything. He got off lightly if you ask me.

In comparison to MI who got clean away?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I was on the Board of Cycling Ireland(or whatever it was called then) when Pat Mc Quaid was President of Cycling Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,975 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

E mac wrote: »
    Huge ego. Get the impression he'd do it all again if he could. It was telling that he'd advise his son not to do drugs to further his American football career unless he makes it to the NFL ��

He said he’d tell his son not to do drugs, but I think if the son came to him and said he wanted to dope I think Lance’s response would be “so you’re finally telling me you actually want to win? What took you so long?”

Really enjoyed the documentary though. I mostly avoided coverage of Lance at the time so this was a great overview of the whole thing and what sort of a person Lance is.

Advertisement