Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe Biden Presidency thread *Please read OP - Threadbanned Users Added 4/5/21*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,038 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

By their own admission in their posts, they are interpreting events to suit their own narrative.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Don't forget Obama being too inexperienced, too black and too Muslim.

It's constant bullsh*t from the right. I mean they are going after non political figures like Taylor Swift and Dwayne Johnson now. The latest attack piece on Johnson is so bad yet eaten up by millions of gullible idiots. Johnson was booed because he turned heel (became bad guy) at a WWE press conference Thursday. Crowd were chanting 'Cody' (Cody Rhodes the main heroic babyface wrestler) not Maui

https://twitter.com/nicksortor/status/1756175392254427409?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1756175392254427409%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=

• Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭patnor1011

And I was refering to ability to talk coherently which your guy is clearely lacking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭patnor1011

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

• Advertisement

Even Fox News is reaming the special counsel report, for multiple failings, including offering up a medical opinion which they are not in any position or capacity to actually give (Goldwater Rule, assuming they were even a trained and licensed psychiatrist, which they decidedly aren't). They also dinged the special counsel's apparent poor understanding of the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,065 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I'll reply again because for some reason, unbeknownst to me, my original reply to you was deleted.

But, yes, this is what things basically come down to in 2024. A binary choice between Joe Biden, a guy in his 80's that may forget some things but who's been a comparatively stable hand on the tiler...and Donald Trump, arguably one of the most venal, despicable, maniacal political entities that anyone has seen in a long time who's only discernible policy is one of petty revenge.

Such is the state of modern US politics that this kind of Hobson's choice is the one that's on the table. But still, anyone with even a modicum of sense would know which is the clear choice here.

Into the bargain, if there's been anyone on the fence with regards to Trump, his comments re: NATO allies and letting Russia do "whatever the hell they want" should be their Rubicon moment.

Yet niggling away in voters heads is the reality of Biden and his condition, many of us have seen it first hand and recognise it.

Why isn't Trump's "condition" not "niggling away" in some people's heads?

Maybe so but what he has really done is point out what has been obvious to a lot of people here and in America.

Argumentum ad populum - logical fallacy. There's a reason the Goldwater Rule exists. Plebian speculation doesn't amount to psychiatric evaluation, regardless of how popular one may choose to perceive the viewpoint among "a lot of people." A lot of people also don't agree that what's happening in Gaza is genocidal. Their opinions don't carry any weight, except at the ballot box, which is going to feature Biden on the ballot in November.

If the Dems want to beat Trump, new candidate now that's it.

Same shyte was trotted out all throughout the 2020 campaign, and has been trotted all throughout the 1st term. It's not that interesting, or compelling.

Yet he doesn't "appear more cogent" than Biden. He continually writes and says reams of absolute nonsense. Which may be fine for the cult members, but for anyone else watching, it's a serious red flag. Much more serious than Biden mixing up Mitterrand and Macron or mashing a few words in a sentence.

Anyone being honest here knows that there's a level playing field and if we're going to damn Biden for forgetting a few things or tripping up in a speech, then that same standard has to be applied to Trump as well, and there's an abundance of instances that show Donald up.

• Advertisement

He just has to appear more cogent than Biden.

Yeah how's that working.

He can't be relied on now to read a teleprompter

^^^^^^^^^

Biden has no issues debating. Trump has avoided all of the Republican primary debates thus far this cycle, hasn't even so much have taken a hostile television interview (we won't count legally mandated criminal depositions) and it is highly likely he will make up some reason for not partaking in debates with Biden this Fall, either, having already had his ass handed to him last time around. After definitively losing to Biden in the 2nd debate, Trump pulled out of the 3rd debate, having only just weeks prior been so sure of himself he had demanded a 4th debate be added to the schedule.

There's also the official stance of the Republican party now, which is they are boycotting presidential debates. Gee wonder why

If Trump wanted to prove he was cogent enough to debate, he should stop running away from Nancy Pelosi Nikki Haley.

Worth noting Trump still hasn't honored his own challenge to debate Bernie Sanders 1 on 1, as far back as Spring 2016:

"I heard that he was going to debate me, then I heard that he was not going to debate me, then I heard that he was going to debate me. Now you’re telling me that he is not going to debate me. Well, you know, I hope that he changes his mind again," Sanders said in a video clip posted on an ABC News Twitter account.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-election-sanders-debate-idUSKCN0YI2J4/

Who would you rather have at the wheel, Biden or Trump. Because THAT'S the choice.

IDK, I think he has plenty of verbal errors ahead of him before he catches up to Trump stumbling his way through reading a teleprompter.

This week you speak of is predicated on a special counsel report that even the right wing has problems digesting as anything but a partisan hackjob, where the biggest gaffe in Biden's day was flipping the names of the mexican and egyptian leaders with whom he has simultaneous border and refugee crises being handled. You must have forgot when Trump referred to Viktor Orban as the leader of Turkiye.

It's clear Trump will never debate Biden again, he'd rather plead guilty in the classified documents case. It would be all too revealing to the electorate which one of them has the cognitive chops to run the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,347 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

This might have been a bad week for Biden until his opponent went full "HOLD MY BEER" and started cheering on Russia against NATO and claimed credit for Taylor Swifts career. Its like Trump cant even stand being out crazied.

Trump had the potential for an open goal and decided to roll over and start barking like a rabid dog rather than take advantage.

Representative Helen Lovejoy found out about the TikTok and proceeded to clutch pearls about delusional allegations: "Now, Joe Biden is selling out information to the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) and giving them an open door to interfere in our elections. "

https://www.facebook.com/RepJeffDuncan/posts/pfbid02GsHoVoST1wai9sxmKiWdTtwq8i5i65bHo2qPU8VbULm98bZAW7QqUz1nSaG59gGLl

(this dude re-tweets tiktok videos all the gd time)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

I was speaking recently with an American friend of mine, who gave me a perspective which I hadn't really considered before.

He thinks Americans don't look to the President for policy-making, they have policy-makers doing that and everything needs to be debated and approved in two houses anyways.

They see them as a figurehead, and the most important element is to be seen as a strong leader.

(This is worrying for Biden given his age issues, plus to a lesser extent Afghanistan / Gaza / Russia where he is perceived as being very weak)

Yeah. People think that the President is this all powerful king figure. In fact, a TFG probably believed that himself. But in reality, while their powers are more significant than say our Taoiseach and they have a much further worldly reach, they cannot just do anything they wish and must observe the apparatus of the corridors of power, as were. For instance, absolutely no President is going to go against Israel simply because of Jewish lobbying power within the US. They just will not risk that, and in addition, America as a nation wants Israel to act as THEIR strongman in the Middle East. That realpolitik supersedes anything an active President may want for that region, and they'll know to keep their mouths shout with regards to criticising Israel's abhorrent conduct in the region.

As for a "strong man", what is meant by that? Because neither Donald Trump or Joe Biden are "strong" on certain world matters. I would much prefer that Biden had a much harder line with Israel because what's going on over there is nothing short of a disgrace. On flip side, however, Donald Trump has, literally, said he'd let Russia do "whatever the hell they want" with regards to NATO allies. Which is genuinely one of the more shocking things that I've heard come out of any American politician's mouth in terms of geopolitical policy.

I will say this about either character, though. Biden's sheepish "too far" comment regarding Israel's murderous behaviour stems from the obvious fact that he knows that he can't say too much on the subject, especially in an election year. That subject has to be navigated very, very, carefully. But, on the other side of the fence we have Trump's de facto endorsement of Vladimir Putin and potential Russian aggression delivered with the ridiculous abandon of a 16 year old basement dwelling edgelord who hasn't the first clue how the outside world works.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

Another perspective is that the president decides whether to open the nuclear football and initiate nuclear launch, no two houses at play here.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

He just has to appear more cogent than Biden.

Indeed and when presented with the relatively open goal of the Special Counsels report on Biden instead of scoring with that , he turns around and figuratively kicks the ref in the balls with his "I'd let Russia invade and do what they'd like" statement.

Aside from being an appalling human , he's an appalling politician as well.

Utterly incapable of getting out of his own way to get a win - His personal vendettas and idiotic "views" are far more important to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,182 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

He has a point about nato and Europe refusing to pay its way

And coming from a man who has made it his business NOT to pay his debtors (or indeed taxes!), it is incredibly hypocritical.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

It's a complete and total misunderstanding of how it all works.

It is yet another example of his arrogance and ignorance damaging US Foreign relations for no reason.

He genuinely believes that the other NATO countries "owe" the US money somehow and that they need to pay this non existent bill to get US support.

If the other NATO countries brought their spending up to the recommended 2% level , the US would still be spending many multiples of the rest of NATO combined and they wouldn't cut back their spending by a single dollar either.

That's not saying they should meet their spending commitments , but them not doing so has zero impact on the what/where/how of US Military spending or global engagement.

He does not understand how any of this works at all (just like he doesn't understand how tariffs and trade deficits work either) and his utter conviction that he's the smartest guy in the world means that he will never learn either as to admit he was wrong or didn't understand something is functionally impossible for him.

So he just stumbles around spouting utter horsesh!t , destabilizing global relationships and pi$$ing away US soft power while he's at it.

I enjoyed it and am glad I'm back.

I get the frustration at the Dem leadership, but I also get that there doesn't appear to be anyone primed to take over Biden and all things being equal, he should beat Trump come November, so it's wishful thinking at this stage to think they could replace him with a "Conan".

However, it is a valid criticism on the Dems to say that they have done something between 2016 and now to try.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭sxt

You should put a bet on biden now if you believe that as his odds are are as long as they have ever been

Trumps legal woes going ahead are not going to help him. Especially if he gets any convictions

In theory, yes convictions won't help him.

His base however will not care. It'll be about the independents. And as matters stand now, Biden will eek a win.

However, there are 9 months between now and then, and it is more probable that a younger candidate would be less likely to suffer an injury etc.

Also, one cannot presume that Trump will be convicted before then either. Delays are his specialty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭political analyst

If the Democrats care about Ukraine then, in order to get the aid package approved by the House of Reps as well as the Senate, why don't they accept the Republicans' demands regarding the US's border with Mexico? After all, not doing anything about illegal immigration is a bad look, isn't it?

Advertisement