Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe Biden Presidency thread *Please read OP - Threadbanned Users Added 4/5/21*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,845 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Said without evidence dismissed without evidence.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I'm not sure if I've taken you up wrong or not but you do know I'm taking the piss, I hope?

Funny thing is the OP doesn't realise.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,556 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

So the bi partisan bill that was passed on Tuesday by the senate isn’t a guaranteed to pass in the house because ten progressive democrats according to AOC won’t vote for it without the other part(which the Dems need all 50 on board and there’s one who isn’t happy about it) and given the democrats have a majority of only four in the house, I don’t think you need to have done honours maths to work out that ten is more than four, so assuming all the GOP vote against it, then it may fail to pass. And then they wonder why the head of their election committee says they need to work on messaging.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

There is a certain section of the Democratic party that views ideological purity over actually getting anything done. I have sympathy for their position, as the bill has been watered down massively. But the reality is that 2 D senators are D in name only and just won't vote for it in a reconciliation bill.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

The Democrats agility to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory is simply awe inspiring sometimes.

Take the win and come back for the other stuff later , how hard to that to grasp??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

They're probably afraid of getting the Michael Collins treatment.

It really is a unique skill alright. Now last night I said presuming the GOP all vote against it, but having thought about it, I could see some GOP voting for it, but I don’t think it’s ten. And let’s say the GOP do get more than ten and help to pass it, then they could in some way say they facilitated the infrastructure bill and the AOC democrats were opposed to and there’s a 2022 taking point.

The democrats really at times don’t help themselves because if an eijit like me on an Irish message board can put a little bit of effort into it and come up with a possible GOP talking point then surely the GOP can. Whether I agreed with their defund the police slogan last time, it’s a three word slogan that was used against them in some places.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,245 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Ove a third of the Republican senators, including, interestingly, McConnell, voted for it to pass. They don't need anywhere near that good a ratio of Republicans in the House to vote for it. Heck, probably some will vote for it just because the likes of AOC won't.

With the $1T pack already out of the Senate, and the $3T pack poised to pass under Reconciliation, it doesn't sound like much stands in the way against either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

I thought that the reconciliation option isn't exactly guaranteed too work at all, lot of articles point out to problems with this method and Manchin indicated his skepticism earlier this year.

• Advertisement

it has to got through more steps and is only for budgetary, which the bulk of the infrastructure spending is. The smaller bill is what laid out programs like pilot VMT for vehicles (Sec 13002, page 508+) authorizing the DOT secretary (Pete Buttigieg) to establish a volunteer opt-in pilot program to test taxing vehicles by miles driven, and to decide what methods to use (scouts honor, tracking devices, OBD scans, etc.) - a necessary first step when cars increasingly will not run on gas, so gas taxes do not apply to them, the normal means by which the government funds the DOT. That's not a budget line item, it's a program, so it couldn't work in a reconciliation bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,469 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Gone very quite over here The impotent Biden goes from bad to worse on both the home front and abroad Afghanistan being a total disasaster, I'm sure Overheal will be on with wall to wall stats about how well the president is doing which he clearly isn't, but hey it's all Trump's fault according to the Biden fanboys on here! Maajid puts it nicely in this tweet!

https://twitter.com/MaajidNawaz/status/1426885205076369411?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

LOL. If it was happening under Trump you'd be singing an entirely different song.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,494 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I don't blame Biden for what is currently happening in Afghanistan, very clearly many in the US want out of these foreign engagements.

But as POTUS, the responsibility lies with Biden, it is irrelevant how it got to this point.

So are the US willing to simply give up any gains they potentially made in the last 20 years? Or is this an acceptance, by the US and the UK, that the entire thing really was a complete waste of time, money and resoucres and they are effectively throwing in the towel?

Of course the usual will come out demanding that Biden do something, but these were the very people lauding Trump for pulling out in the 1st place and making a big deal that Trump never started a foreign war.

As much as I disagree with the policy, it would appear that pulling out of Afghanistan is exactly what the US wants so its hard to claim that Biden is doing anything but what the country wants.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,525 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

More sea gull posting. Is there any actual point in replying to you?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 14,549 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

It didnt happen under Trump though, thats the difference.

All these foreign affair catastrophes have only started to happen once Biden took over.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,494 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Only because Trump, being lazy and unorganised, never actually got around to getting the things he claimed he was going to do.

But Trump very much laid the groundwork. He made out the US pulling out was an easy win. This is very much a Trump policy.

That doesn't mean Biden isn't responsible, but it is a hard line to go after Biden for doing the exact thing Trump & the GOP have been calling for.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,469 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Wouldn't happen under Trump that's the point! Biden seems to go from one crisis to another!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,525 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Border crisis heating up, the botched pulling out of Afghanistan, the final acceptance that the WHO were compromised by China. It has been a great weekend for Trumps presidential legacy.

Everybody: "America needs to stop trying to be the World Police."

America: "Ok, we're sending our troops home."

Everybody: "Wait, what? You can't do that, it'll be a disaster. You're the World Police, remember?"

• Registered Users Posts: 19,061 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

It was started under trump and under his timeline would have happened months ago. Catastrophes ? Is there more than one that has happened under Biden since he took office ?

Good to see the brain trust showing their usual cognitive ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

It's not really Biden's fault.

The USA has been in decline since Saigon, albeit retaining the best weaponry and technology.

Unable to take on Somali gangsters and Rwandan militia, who were drunk or smoking dope half the time.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Yes, if there's one word I'd use to characterise the aforementioned trump presidency it'd be "stable".

I do unfortunately have to add this additional note for the slow learners, that was sarcasm.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Open to correction but from memory the U. S. never deployed troops to Rwanda during the civil war there and only got involved stationing troops as advisors for their military and conducting exercises in 1995 after the civil war ended.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Yep. After the debacle of Mogadishu, Clinton and Albright were unwilling to commit troops to Rwanda.

They started debating the dictionary definition of 'genocide'.... while 800,000 people were murdered in 90 days.

The Interhamwe were a total rabble. An organised UN force would have defeated them. In the end, the RPF were required to oust them.

Advertisement