Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,305 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

So Donny is getting his sycophants to not only turn up to get around the gag order by repeating what he tells them to, they must dress the same as the great leader

• Registered Users Posts: 13,332 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

^^New goon squad uniform. I wonder if we'll be seeing more of 'em dressed like that. Goes well with jackboots.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,122 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

The mental gymnastics to discredit Cohen is quite impressive.

Convicted for lying under oath so he shouldn't be trusted = fair enough, not an unreasonable argument.

However, these same people are trying to undermine the legal process and the legitimacy of the courts so to suddenly hold up a conviction (when it benefits them, funnily enough) is interesting.

Then, that same conviction was a result of Cohen lying to protect Trump. To acknowledge that conviction is to acknowledge that Cohen lied for Trump's benefit which, in turn, brings Trump's own innocence into question.

Now, I know there is no reasoning for these types and any attempt to point it out is met with a neverending list of excuses and exemptions particular to this case but this really should be highlighted and driven home with any undecided voters.

There is no mask anymore; the MAGA crowd are blatant in what they are doing and anyone voting for Trump in November cannot claim ignorance of the fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭I told ya

Can't see DJT doing any prison time.

A total security headache. All former POTUS get 24/7/365 protection for life.

So how would that work? Have his own wing?

I believe Rikers Island is as tough as it gets.

The whole reason Trump worked with Cohen was because he was a liar. He was Trump's liar. He lied on Trump's behalf, and at Trump's direction.

There were days of boring testimony by custodians of records, people brought it to attest to data secured by the prosecution. Trump's team refused to acknowledge any of it, so there was a line of folks from telecommunications companies etc giving evidence of texts etc.

This enabled the prosecution to put Cohen on the stand and at the same time, put the text up behind him, which gave credence to his evidence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,340 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Personally I think Trump is going to get away with this one, certainly with dodging the federal charge anyway, even if the misdemeanours stick.

They need to prove that he was part of the conspiracy, that he knew what Cohen was doing and why he was doing it.

But Cohens testimony is full of instances where he says he told Trump things like "I'll take care of it", "its sorted", "Don't worry about it" etc etc, and most of Trumps recorded responses are basically noncommittal.

They are trying to build the case that Trump micromanaged everything and must have known everything that was happening, but they don't have the smoking gun and it is a very plausible defence for Trump to say that when Cohen said "I'll take care of it", that he meant take care of legally. That when he signed the check, that it was just the final part of a process that Cohen carried out legally.

You shouldn't sign checks without knowing what they are for but that isn't the federal crime they are trying to reach.

"They are trying to build the case that Trump micromanaged everything"

This was verified by his own book, a former PA and Hope Hicks who cried on the stand while confirming Trump's assertion that Cohen paid the money out of the goodness of his heart was bullshit.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,298 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The governer of Rikers Island has already said they have a suitable, self contained area that could be used and could accommodate his security no problem. It is custom made - I think he said there are more than one 'suites' for this kind of purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,362 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭I told ya

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,340 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I will never understand why people keep saying that prison would cause a conflict with the secret service protection.

How on earth would it be more difficult for the SS to do their jobs when the person involved is locked up in a secure facility? How on earth is that more difficult than protecting somebody moving around or doing rallies in front of a few thousand people?

Incarceration would be easy mode for the secret service, there is no logic at all in suggesting otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,856 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Perry Johnson for 2% of the votes in Nebraska … it is like real life version of Conor Roy.

What a read:

In 2021, Johnson announced his candidacy for the Republican nomination for the governor of Michigan. He launched his campaign in January 2021 with a $1.5 million advertising campaign that was featured during the 2021 Super Bowl.[21] Johnson did not meet the requirement of 15,000 valid signatures necessary to appear on the ballot after it was found that 9,400 of the signatures his campaign submitted were invalid and fraudulent… In total, Johnson spent $7,000,000 of his own money in his failed bid for the Republican nomination.

Oh and endorses Trump!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perry_Johnson_%28businessman%29

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

That ~20% "Never Trump" has been pretty consistent in all these Primaries , all the more concerning for him now that these last few are him running unopposed.

Is there any info on how many of those votes might have been postal votes cast before Haley dropped out?

Although given the time elapsed since she suspended her campaign I'm guessing that's less and less of a factor in these latest ones.

It will be very interesting to see if these numbers hold after he has been officially declared the candidate.

Epstein wasn't at Rikers. TFG could share a cell with Weisselberg. If it gets to this point (hope), it may be TFG doesn't go to Rikers. Uhh, NYC has lots of places to

Lock

Him

Up!

Agreed. In fact makes the Secret Service's jobs easier, just have to keep him isolated from the rest of the population in the prison. If he gets time in the exercise yard, the prison could empty it. Of course…TFG? Exercise? I must be joking.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,362 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Kingslayer

It's like Hillary Clinton and Gadaffi all over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,229 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Protection doesn't mean that they are physically following their every move and never letting them out of their sight. No reason that someone with that security couldn't be locked in a room in a prison and let out for a wander around the yard on their own at a different time from the rest of the inmates.

Meanwhile the secret service guys can sit in the prison car park eating donuts. If the building / room that Trump is put in is secure then they can just leave him there. It's not difficult.

Of course that doesn't mean he's likely to do time, but the security isn't a reason to not do so.

• Advertisement

It has been confirmed Cohen is the last state witness, so the gag order will be diminished in terms of who it applies to.

Also, the trial will be over earlier than expected, so the need or want to breach it is gone.

On the basis of the above, I can't see there being a fundamental breach of the order, especially as he is using his minions to say what he wants to and it is near impossible to do anything about it.

He won't get a custodial sentence.

He will appeal it, but it won't matter. The aim was to finish before the election and if possible, obtain a guilty verdict. That'll happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Maxface

They will have to add fake tan to the prison shop list, along with whatever products he uses to hold that hair together.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Detritus70

On the implausibly high DJT share price, the meme stock theory holds a lot of water:

On Monday, after three years out of silence, one of the orchestrators of the 2021 GameStop surge roared back into the spotlight with a wordless meme on X that his followers interpreted as a rally cry for the stock he put on the map.

The account is linked to Keith Gill, aka Roaring Kitty, aka DeepF—ingValue. From that single, cryptic post depicting a man sitting in an office chair — a meme that suggests “when things get serious” — GameStop (GME) shares soared more than 100% before being halted for volatility. The stock ended Monday up more than 70%, rising $13 to $30.45 a share.

Another meme stock, Trump Media and Technology Group, the Donald Trump-owned media company that controls Truth Social, brought back memories of the 2021 GameStop bonanza. Then, a team of amateurs on Reddit collectively stuck it to the man by squeezing traders who had short interest (bets that the stock would fall) on GameStop, AMC (AMC), Bed Bath & Beyond and others.

https://edition.cnn.com/2024/05/14/business/meme-stocks-gamestop-trump-media-nightcap/index.html

"I'm not a Trump supporter, but..." is the new "I'm not a racist, but...".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

• Registered Users Posts: 82,255 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

If he's had input into the speeches would that count as publically communicating in breach of the gag order? I'm guessing not.

You'd have to call witnesses, get them sworn in etc. it'd be a complete **** show. Frustrating as it is, realistically nothing can be done about it imho

if the MSNBC lad is sworn in that might be easy since he’s going to generally be in the gallery. But it’s very unlikely Trump would willingly testify to it. Likely to at most get a warning for this. Unless Trump was stupid enough to admit it.

“Donald Trump lost two debates to me in 2020. Since then, he hasn’t shown up for debate.

“Now he’s acting like he wants to debate me again. Well, make my day, pal!

“I’ll even do it twice.

“So let’s pick the dates. Donald.

“I hear you’re free on Wednesdays.”

https://www.mediaite.com/news/make-my-day-pal-biden-posts-debate-challenge-to-trump-roasts-him-over-criinal-trial/

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 688 ✭✭✭FlipperThePriest

After seeing this pic, I couldn't help but think of a great scene out of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, where Jack Nicholson's character refers to the patients from the mental institution as doctors, in order to get the boat off the harbour, and the new perspective and sudden transformation is made - from insane to genius with a few choice words.

When I see those guy in Trump suits above, the opposite happens - I see them as a bunch of nut jobs.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement