Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,897 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Wedded to this is a virulent strain of anti-intellectualism. Why bother to understand something complicated like a vaccine or climate change when your favourite professional proponent of prejudice tells you that it's all a scam by big city elites to take your precious traditions from you?

I never thought much of it at the time but even in American childrens' programming, you'd see intellectual characters getting protrayed as weak, scrawny, and wearing thick glasses being called things like "poindexter" or "brainiac".

Obviously, there are very intelligent Americans and a lot of them who do things like teach at Harvard and produce cutting-edge technology but they seem very much to be the exception, not the rule.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 13,585 ✭✭✭✭briany

@Detritus70

It is political flat-eartherism, it could only appeal to hateful idiots. But we here in Germany are living proof that, as a demagogue, you can always be successful in politics, because a large enough percentage of the population is thick as pig sh1te, hateful and racist and they will believe any old crap you spout, as long as it vilifies the "right" people.

I can't totally agree with this. I think right-wing reactionary movements grow out of problems or concerns that centrist governments are either unwilling to address or else are unable to.

Most people are not hateful, but if you push them into a corner with austerity and lack of housing, and then have a load of new, unfamiliar people show up in a relatively short space of time, what does anyone think is going to happen? Two red buttons are being hit, there, with one being the human need of security and the other being the dislike of change.

And here is the very critical thing - when politicians tell people with the above concerns that they're just racist and get back in their box, those people do not just go away. They may have to sit with their anger for a while when there is no outlet, but when an outlet does come along, i.e. a demagogue who promises to fix the ills of society overnight, they're all in.

The lesson is that governments must responsibly manage social and economic pressures over time and confront them as they arise, not kick the can down the road. When the Irish government proposes to open a new direct provision centre in some provincial Irish town without consulting the locals, do they not realise that they're absolutely placing the ball on the tee for the likes of the National Party?

So, no, calling people 'thick as pigshit' does not work. All it does is sow division and foment anger. You must engage, no matter how unpleasant and find mutually-agreeable solutions to the concerns they're raising, or else face the consequences when all those people coalesce to vote in far-right headers who let god-knows-what happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Stanley 1

If he loses the case he will appeal and try to use the gag orders as limiting his right to free speech etc., the object is to delay and delay, the gamble is he will get re-elected, find ways to throw out the 4 cases or stop them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,194 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

What is the general consensus in terms of how the trial is going?

From my reading, he placed his team in an impossible situation by denying the triste with Daniels.

There's tonnes of corroborating evidence that

A) the catch and kill was nothing to do with protecting Melania

B) he was a micromanager and knew where all the cash was going

C) it wasn't a legal expense

• Registered Users Posts: 11,213 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

How lng will the cross examination of Cohen take? And how long after that will the jury be sent to make their decision?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Objectively, I think it's mixed so far.

A lot of the evidence is very complex - There have been 20+ witnesses so far and most have been about the very technical elements of what was done and how it was done etc.

The testimony from people like Daniels , Hope Hicks and Cohen are more about showing the Jury how generally amoral and distasteful Trump is rather than providing absolute evidentiary fact of the crime he is actually accused of.

I think he's going to be found guilty , not necessarily because they will have shown absolute proof that he did commit the specific financial crimes he is charged of , but because on balance the Jury decide he's a dirt-bag who deliberately tried to hide his behaviour from the electorate for the specific purpose of helping him win.

One more day, the prosecution has one more witness, then it's over to the defence.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I think that Anti-Intellectualism is grounded in that "No one is going to tell me what to do" aspect of American Individualism that leads to the Militias and the rest of their anti-establishment movements.

The idea that "someone else might know better" as a fallacy is engrained into them because they are told that "God helps those that help themselves" and that "No one is coming to help you".

What was that line the Reagan used? - The scariest sentence in the world is "I'm from the Government , I'm here to help".

Which is the complete opposite of how the rest of the world thinks - We might think our Government are total crap , but we do believe they have a key role in helping society , Americans don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,164 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

The best people. One of whom gives counterfeit money to homeless to get them arrested. Secret service has been notified

https://www.rawstory.com/trump-mcentee-secret-service/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,897 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I don't know… Americans seem to be more than happy for big government to involve itself in conflicts abroad, keep foreigners out, and maintain the military-industrial complex. A lot of them seem so happy to be told what to do by the previous president that they're not even waiting to be asked any more.

I think there is an aversion to government when it's someone who is different from them along with an aversion to government in general.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 13,585 ✭✭✭✭briany

They've no aversion to government when that government is enforcing the stuff they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭tinytobe

I wouldn't expect too much on the verdict.

Trump is probably going to get away with a suspended sentence in the worst case.

The judges ae also very much in favour of him even if they pretend to be unbiased.

Lot's of other court proceedings are procrastinated as well.

If not some gun crazy American shoots him first, the world would have to prepare for another Trump presidency with all consequences.

For sure, I don't hold out much hope in terms of actual penalty.

I think he'll be found guilty but I highly doubt there will be any custodial element to his sentence.

He'll get a hefty fine and possibly a suspended sentence , which he will of course appeal meaning that nothing will stick for quite some time anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,376 ✭✭✭✭Penn

This is the same guy who a month or two ago, posed a question on Tiktok:

"If 'gun-free' zones would work, then why are there no 'rape-free zones'?"

Obviously didn't take long for people to point out that to most people, every zone is supposed to be a rape-free zone.

He also helped set up a Conservative dating app which struggled when basically no women signed up to it.

Trumpist and troll to the core. Even if he was lying about giving the homeless counterfeit money, he's a pure engagement farmer because that's the only way he can be relevant.

Because Trump can't be trusted we won't know until they walk in..

Wonder will they bring Weiselberg over from Rikers for the day??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭amandstu

What penalty could there against Weiselberg if he refused to answer any questions?

Neither Defence nor Prosecution have called him.

Either because both are wary of him harming their case or brcause he has indicated he will take the 5th.

Could the jury draw any inference from the questions he refused to answer and his demeanour in court?

Might his simple presence in the court force Trump to take the stand?

That's what I expect as well.

A hefty fine, he will loud mouthed complain how unfair the world is, and a suspended sentence and he will crack on and blame judge and jury for his misfortune and how the world is against him.

That's Trump-style.

It's not too hard to predict.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,593 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Imagine thinking that videoing yourself admitting to a federal crime as part of an effort to show MAGAts just how performatively cruel you can be, is a good idea…
    The lack of either critical thinking or appreciation of consequences amongst that particular group is staggering.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭randomuser02125

City spokeswoman Lisa Fagan, who told New Jersey 101.5 before the rally the capacity on the beach for the event was 20,000, estimated the crowd to be 80,000 on Saturday.

80,000 my hairy arse. They're pathetic.

Its a federal crime he's accused of, not just a finable offence

I know.

But still, I see certain behaviour.

Judges in his favour. Fines being reduced. Trial start dates procrastinated.

To me Trump is he lowest of the low. A dishonest man, if he wasn't running for US president nobody would care about him, except maybe the tabloids.

If he ran for office in some 3rd world country, it'll probably be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,164 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

"If he ran for office in some 3rd world country, it'll probably be ok."

He is. The US is a wealthy third world country. Madly overcrowded, brutal divides between the wealthiest and the rest of society, violent. comic-opera bad guy politicians. Polluted. Getting hotter.

Most 3rd world countries have something like free health care. Not the US.

Let alone the influence of religion on society.

FWIW, I'm a US expat, and have been calling the US 3rd world for a very long time. Plenty of friends and relatives there agree, most want out.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 ihateboards

Please don't on my account. That said I'd probably participate.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,220 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Don't what? Is that a Wordle reply? I was meaning you could start one, why not if you want to participate?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

It's not a federal crime, it's a felony. Felonies can result in only fines as well even if the max penalty is higher. From what I've read most think that is the most likely outcome here. Even pushing to make it a felony was a reach.

Regrettably it is the most minor of the cases he is facing, but at least he is finally facing something.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Stanley 1

• Advertisement

More good news for Pelosi/Haley

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement