Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,023 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Consensus appears to be, this is kind of important...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Wonder if she'll go again, didn't she say she was only suspending her campaign?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,048 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

She won't , but it's a really strong indicator that there is a large swathe of GOP voters that do not want to vote for Trump.

I saw recent polling that was showing the RFK Jr. was pulling way more votes from Trump than Biden despite the concerns from Democrats.

Biden leads Trump by two points when Kennedy Jr., Green Party candidate Jill Stein and independent Cornel West are on the ballot, but he trails Trump by two points in a head-to-head matchup, according to an April 12-16 NBC poll of 1,000 registered voters, though the shift is within the poll’s 3.1-point margin of error.

The poll found 15% of voters who would cast their ballots for Trump in a two-way race would switch their vote to Kennedy Jr. in a five-way contest, compared to 7% of Biden voters.

More Republicans (40%) also view Kennedy Jr. favorably compared to Democrats (16%).

• Registered Users Posts: 33,256 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Not unless Trump has to drop out completely. She still lost the majority of primaries to him, some to a large degree, and Pennsylvania is a blue-leaning state so the fact the Republicans in that state still put in votes for Haley doesn't mean a lot for Haley herself. It's just far more impactful that GOP voters still voting for Haley a month after she suspended her campaign shows that most of them are anti-Trump and he's unlikely to be able to garner enough support for that State, especially as he won the state in 2016 for the GOP for the first time in over 20 years, but lost it in 2020.

The votes for Haley shows he's likely going to lose it by even more in 2024. The primary results display a heavy anti-Trump vote rather than a pro-Haley vote.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

It is partly a double standard between the ultra rich, but also partly a rather unprecedented position with regards his status as a former and potential future president. A different standard for that is rather inevitable - most defendants don't have round the clock secret service protection for one.

Another stark reminder of what an egregious, barefaced and shameless liar he is, or the ramblings of an utter lunatic.

Either way, wtf is he doing anywhere near a position of power in the US?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Obviously that gag order is never going to be enforced and he knows it.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,055 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

He should be made do a night in jail for every time he calls the judge "corrupt"

No one else would get away with it

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Stanley 1

Hopefully with plenty of all that nice orangewear and bedware that Epstein had and a footstool to reach up to the top bunk………..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

I saw the pictures. There were maybe a dozen people. No fencing.

People who believe him are worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,486 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

With Haley's vote share last night, the low crowds at many of his events, and there being a lack of events as well there should be built-up demand, and the lack of any real support outside the court for any of his trial dates, are we looking at Trump support being far less than what the polls are currently predicting?

My own view, based on nothing more than intuition and guesswork, is that many of those who claim they will vote for him do it as a kind of 'take it to the man' protest but that when the actual vote comes around and a real decision need to be made, a decision with real and lasting consequences, that many will opt for Biden as the threat to the US itself is just too much with Trump.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,048 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

There's a lot of that , but for the Court house "support" you have to layer in the conspiracy theories that the FBI will infiltrate the crowd and get them all arrested so they are actually scared to turn up.

It's also why I've always thought that RFK Jr. will hurt Trump a lot more than Biden and the polling is starting to show that.

He provides an "out" to lots of GOP voters that hate Trump but couldn't bring themselves to vote for Biden - The "Hold your nose" voters in 2016/2020 now have an alternative.

40% of GOP voters have a favourable view of RFK jr. - That's huge..

Trump is bringing absolutely nothing new to the table to win over new/waivering voters and unlike in 2020 there's someone that they can vote for that isn't Trump but also isn't Biden (or Jill Stein!!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Biden won in 2020 despite only getting 78% of the Dem vote after Bernie had dropped out.

Nobody would suggest that all 280 000 Bernie voters stayed at home or voted Biden because he obviously beat Trump a few months later, so I don't see why people are thinking all the Haley voters are going to go all in on Biden.

Bryan Tyler Cohen would be on the Biden payroll as he is as impartial as a Sean Hannity/ Charlie Kirk type character so people probably shouldn't over analyze his posts due to his obvious bias.

They absolutely aren't likely to move to Biden in big numbers , but the polling shows that a decent chunk of them will go to RFK Jr.

15% of Trump voters in a two horse race would switch to RFK Jr. when he's added as an option - Double the number of Biden voters that would switch in the same scenario.

RFK is also pretty popular with GOP voters so there is an implicit permission/acceptance for them to vote for him that wouldn't be there if they voted for Biden for example..

• Registered Users Posts: 28,040 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Without getting into the pros and cons of vaccines, purely on a political level - RFK Jr should hoover up anti vax vote.

They aren't going to vote for Biden, and while Trump has been flaky on covid measures, he still touts his role on vaccines. So RFK Jr is their 'political home'. And I expect more significant numbers of them on the Republican side to Democrat side.

It'd be ironic, after the damage Trump's response to covid did to his electoral chances last time out, if it came back to haunt him again in 2024.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Oh yeah I do agree with you regarding RFK. The pro Trump media did platform him for ages so it was to be expected.

I don't think he has ever made a serious attempt to reach out to Biden voters in comparison, if he had been pro Palestine then would have been a nightmare for Biden, but he's just as pro Israel as the likes of Haley/RDS and obviously Trump.

I actually think I was meant to quote an another post where someone was spinning the Haley number of voters !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

On CNN this morning, a reporter walked to within 30 yards of the "tiny door" as The Chump described it with no obstructions, he wasn't using a press pass and there were about 20 Chump supporters there, thats all that arrived all day apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,770 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

thing is as klepper observed, most MAGA faithful are scared shitless of their own paranoid delusions both about New York but also of the Deep State TM, they’re too chickenshit to show up at the courthouse. Some of them even fear being finally arrested for their actions on January 6 it seems according to some anecdotes Klepper shared, with a few of them unreasonably evasive to answering if they were at Jan 6 or what they did there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭ronjo

Also seems notable that both Lindsey Graham and Mitch McConnell have blamed him in the last few days for tanking the border deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

From what I can see more people turned up to see Jeffrey Donaldson attend court today then went to see Donald attend court yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,149 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

• Registered Users Posts: 13,011 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Nahh. More people with free time on their hands in the UK than in NYC.

Agreed , I'd say almost all the people that turned up this morning for the Donaldson appearance were there to look and not support.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,551 ✭✭✭✭briany

Well, possibly, but I've been saying for a while that Trump is leading the opinion polls in every battleground state bar Pennsylvania, where Biden leads by .5 percent, and the response has been to kind of downplay the importance of polls. OK, but if the polls are going to be downplayed, then I'd take even less from the fact that Haley took 30 percent of the vote without even campaigning.

Reasons for this are that battleground state opinion polling is a direct statement of voter intention whereas voters breaking for Haley in a state's primary only tells us of a preference between those two. In a general v. Biden, there's nothing we can assume about which way those voters would break or if they'd even vote at all.

I don't think we can pick and choose polling data, here. Biden needs to turn the head to head opinion polling around.

I'm sure Trump's ego will be slightly wounded by the result, but I'm also sure he'll be able to rationalise it to himself by saying it was RINOs and Democrat saboteurs.

Another criminal case involving Donald Trump may be right around the corner 🌞

https://www.mediaite.com/news/trump-giuliani-revealed-to-be-unindicted-co-conspirators-in-michigan-fake-elector-case/

Aaand the Gateway Pundit declares bankruptcy after hitching its sails to MAGA and getting burnt

https://www.mediaite.com/news/the-gateway-pundit-infamous-conspiracy-blog-declares-bankruptcy-after-suit-from-election-workers/

What a shame…

• Registered Users Posts: 18,188 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

He not a rapist until convicted, at present he has the presumption of innocence

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭amandstu

• Advertisement

Triumph the puppet dog evidently caught a lot of the public bickering at the jury selection last week

"Between me and you, and all this rigamarole, can you really respect a president that's 100% faithful to his wife?"

"He doesn't drink, that's more impressive."

"You're right, that cancels out all the raw-dogging."

Advertisement