Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Rawr

Indeed. In fact the only gripe I have about the Biden campaign statment is that they didn't start with: "Donald Trump, a proven rapist who attempted to overturn American democracy, spent the weekend cheating at Golf....." Otherwise, pretty much correct.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Edit: removed 'cos I fell for it again. Fool me once etc.

Post edited by pixelburp on

• Registered Users Posts: 81,648 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,000 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Lots of volatility in the new "DJT" stock , but looks like initially it will open around $60 but bid/ask volume is skewed towards people selling so you might see some rapid profit taking from those that can.

Wonder how long the MAGA Meme-stock boys will keep propping it up as its actual value is more in the penny stock range.

Less than 5M active users , $4M in revenue and $50M+ in operating losses does not a multi-billion dollar valuation make.

Even before Trump was adjudged disgorgements and penalties in court, the Republican Party was having some of its worst fundraising in modern history, with some state branches of the party even declaring bankruptcy. Even after infecting the RNC with the Trump nepo virus, and getting access to its massive stash of just $8.3 M and having to lay off masses of staff, it seems Trump can’t afford to hold rallies to half empty stadiums anymore. His planned event for Arizona is canceled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,135 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Don't forget that TS major shareholder is extremely hard up for cash as detailed extensively in nearly every major news outlet and would most likely dump as much stock as they can as soon as it's legally possible, can't see that helping the stock price accrue value

I’m sure Musk will throw out a few “doge!” Meme tweets to defibrillate it a time or two

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,000 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

The stock price is entirely artificial.

And it's not like the company will use any funds raised to grow the business , they will profit take like you say as fast as they can because they know that it's a meme-stock and the second the day-traders decide it's time to cash out, the value will drop like a stone.

If word gets out that Trump is allowed sell his stocks before the current 6 month restriction it will tank further.

The IPO is a glorified Ponzi scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,232 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Only ever seems to compete and win on his own courses too, in the competitions run by his own company. But I'm sure that's just coincidence.

FWIW, I'm sure he actually is a decent enough golfer for his age. God knows he got enough experience/practice during his Presidency too. But celebrating winning his own competitions on his own courses is the equivalent of a spoilt birthday boy winning a race in his garden on his birthday because the parents let him have a headstart.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,406 ✭✭✭RedXIV

It's an interesting thing I've never thought of before but if the republican party got THAT hard up for cash, could we potentially see an actual valid third party candidate? Or will we need years of republican's going to the ground before things get that bad? I get the fundraising is only part of the picture, but it's potentially the snowball leading to an avalanche

• Advertisement

Not sure. Hard to predict how people will react always, atm the republicans are campaigning on the conspiracy theory that “Biden is trying to make the country one party rule” (because the other can’t get its **** together and is imploding) and RFK Jr is trying to bleed off moderates from Biden using his famous family name (a family which was endorsed Biden incidentally). Everytime you think one party or another has a commanding lead it somehow ends up decided 50:50 by a few thousand votes among 330 million people.

Given the last collapse or two of the GOP, whatever they rebrand as next will be so much worse than what we already have (Bush party became the TEA party became the MAGA party became ????)

The rebrand depends on the result in November.

If Trump loses then I think after a period of raging and retribution amongst themselves a somewhat saner version of the GOP may emerge.

Still Wildly right-wing certainly from an Irish/Global view , but a bit less well mental than the current manifestation.

If he wins , the dive rightward will continue as Trump will enable all the absolute worst of types if for no other reason than they will offer him the most "stuff" for his support.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,135 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Begs the question, will trump try the same tactic to avoid justice post election later this year if he loses again. Will he declare his running for '28 immediately, and thus be able to trot out the line that legitimate investigations/charges against him are 'political persecution'

Absolutely 100%

He will claim that it was stolen, he will whip his base up into a frenzy and he will immediately declare his candidacy if for no other reason that it allows him to continue to fund-raise to keep the grift going.

"Politics" has been the most profitable thing he has ever done , why would a trivial thing like losing all the time make him want to stop?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,232 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Well I'd say he might tease or heavily imply he's going to run again rather than outright say it, if for no other reason than to not have to have donations considered as campaign donations, similar to why he spent two years or so from 2021 onwards only implying he'd run again in 2024.

Agreed , he'll do whatever is enough to allow him to collect donations without "officially" signing up which brings additional oversight and restrictions on spending.

Whatever allows him the easiest access to the most money..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭aidanodr

Im speechless watching this video piece from Jon Stewart ( 7 mins ) saying it as it is re the "Victimless Crime"

Jon Stewart unpacks Trump's $454 million fraud penalty and the bogus idea being floated by "money experts" like Kevin O'Leary that it's a "victimless" crime

Just listen to the snippets in this VT from this Kevin O Leary investor type excusing trumps behaviour because they all do it and shur its a victimless crime .. nothing to see here folks. USA is fcked!! the arrogance ..

Begs the question: Can this grift last another 4 years? Can Trump himself stay above water all those years after using up / losing all of the cash he has access to?

If he loses in November, there is no question of Trump Org. folding and his properties being taken from him. There’s a chance that might happen sooner, but if Biden stays for another term, then any hope of using the White House to shield himself from consequences are gone. The GOP are going to be essentially bankrupt before November, and unless the candidates can pay for themselves to still be competitive, Trump is going to proceed over a party of failure, propped up only by habitual GOP voters or protest votes against the Dems.

Maybe he could last to 2028, I didn’t really think he could make it to here back in 2021, but here we are. But it seems like a stretch to keep this bullsh*t production going for the guts of a decade without much to show for it. It’s hard to imagine a Trump 2028, part of me still thinks that he can’t last that long.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Biden's State of the Union was more coherent than most of Trump's statements in the last decade. More coherent than the sons too..

Hard to know - If he loses in November , he'll likely drag the House with him and the Democrats could hold on to the Senate so Trump would then have taken the GOP through 4 losing Election cycles.

You'd think they'd learn their lesson , but who knows.

• Advertisement

Don’t underestimate the gerrymander or voter suppression. Republicans have for a long time managed to hang on to power with dismal popularity.

Oh of course , but they counteract that in a lot of cases lately by selecting horrendous MAGA candidates in the primaries..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,423 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,651 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Indeed but if he strips down ballot races of all money as he has threatened to do to bolster his own campaign and pockets how effective will they be? Yes gerrymandering works once set but voter suppression requires money which they may not have.

The company you keep. Seen in 1997:

Diddy was just raided yesterday for sex trafficking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭aidanodr

AAAAHHHHHHH ... the sense of entitlement is huge in this one ..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Economics101

News that the flotation of Trump Media could net the Orange Don 5 Billion, but only if the stock stays at its initial apparently very generous value. He can't sell stock for several months, although the board of trump Media could change the rules (guess who is on the board?).

What looks like just another grift might yet erupt into a truly monumental scandal and fraud.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭francois

Analysis of the court case yesterday and the useless delaying tactics, and why it could be bad for TFG, worth a read

https://statuskuo.substack.com/p/dont-piss-off-the-judge

If he has to hold on for 6 months, it will be near worthless by then , he might be able to make a few quid if he can change the rules , but he'll literally have minutes to do it as the second it's announced that he is allowed sell his shares the price will tank as everyone will know that a massive block of equity is about to hit the market.

It is currently sitting at ~$70/share right now on it's first days trading but has been very volatile.

Obviously the meme-stock day traders bois are piling on as most of the trades are very small volume - Like ~100 shares per trade and the largest trade so far was for ~5k shares.

Hard to know how long they'll keep that up though..

• Advertisement

Reads like Trump *yet again* picking the absolute dregs of the legal profession, and is likely also directing them on strategy.

Donnie: “Get me a delay on this, or get it dismissed. Say that the state is cheating of something.”

Lawyer: But we have no basis for that or a delay, we’re better off just letting the trial happen and fight it there.

Donnie: I don’t care, just delay the trail…keep delaying it until November, when I will win hugely.

Lawyer: This judge already hates us, if we make this up he’ll probably dis-bar me.

Donnie: I don’t care, just make the delay happen or you will not get your Trump NFT Cards I promised you for payment.

(Lawyer proceeds to have 5th shot of whiskey that morning while Trump leaves)

Advertisement