Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't get 48 Sim to work with my Huawei router

Options
  • 18-01-2021 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32,991 ✭✭✭✭

Got a SIM from 48.ie and installed it in a Huawei B593 router, to provide broadband away from house.

However getting an error message during setup, doesn't have a valid ip configuration.

Not too knowledgeable about this sort of us as you can tell, could anyone point me to to what may be wrong?

Any assistance appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

• Registered Users Posts: 8,729 ✭✭✭degsie

Place in phone first and remove any security pins.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,991 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Thanks folks, will try those tomorrow.

Do you need to have a SIM in a wireless router to get into the config software screen, or should it be possible just with it powered on?

The router is giving a red light despite SIM being unlocked and activated on a phone.

From reading i can see APN settings etc being mentuoned but can't get the config screen up to make any possible changes.

• Moderators Posts: 6,851 ✭✭✭Spocker

Theres a sticker on the back with the IP address to login to the config page, you might need to connect with a wire, rather than wireless

https://www.manua.ls/huawei/b593/manual?p=25

• Advertisement

Yeah I tried that.
    The address is :

[url]Http://homerouter.cpe[/url]

And it didnt work. Gave an error.
    Says site can't be reached.

When you say to connect it via wire, could I connect it via one of the spare LAN ports at the back of my current home router, or should I take the cable that brings internet into the home, remove it from my existing router and put it into the spare router I'm trying to set up?

Connect your laptop direct to the Huawei box, using a wire, and then enter the address as 192.168.1.1 (instead of homerouter.cpe) and that should allow you access the configuration. Don't disconnect anything else from your current setup (or at least take pictures before you do)

Spocker wrote: »
    Connect your laptop direct to the Huawei box, using a wire, and then enter the address as 192.168.1.1 (instead of homerouter.cpe) and that should allow you access the configuration. Don't disconnect anything else from your current setup (or at least take pictures before you do)

Sorry for the stupid question but is it a usb to usb to connect my laptop to the router?

Or Lan to Lan?

No question is a stupid question :) Connect your laptop using a LAN to LAN cable, and use one of the slots marked LAN on the router (not the WAN one)

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Flying Abruptly

The ip address to log into this router from the manual should be http://192.168.254.254 if you are connected to the wifi

• Advertisement

It's saying 192.168.1.1 is taking too long to respond.

I have the green light active on the slot at the back of the router where I plugged the cable is, so assume it's seeing the cable ok

The ip address to log into this router from the manual should be http://192.168.254.254 if you are connected to the wifi

That also gave "too long to respond" error

Do you know how to find the IP address of your laptop? If you can open a command window, you can type the command 'ipconfig' and cuat-and-paste the output here

https://flic.kr/p/2ktUvLp

But is it important to note that I am also sitting in a room with another router that provides my usual home internet.

If you are using Windows 10, open the task manager. Go to the Performance tab, and click on the Ethernet or Wifi section. Then under the graph, check to see what your current IPv4 address is.

Should be 192.168.x.x

Using the same third value you see in the task manager, try 192.168.x.1 or 192.168.x.254.

For example, 192.168.8.1 or 192.168.8.254, if the third value is 8.

From your screenshot, it seems to be 192.168.0.1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

NIMAN wrote: »
    That also gave "too long to respond" error

Your laptop needs to be on the same network (LAN) as the Huawei router. Disconnect LAN cable and plug in again - it should be plug and play. Turn off the wifi on your laptop as well to make sure it isn't trying to connect to your home network/any other network. Then retry to log onto the Huawei router using the IP address in the manual and the password ("admin").

If you are using Windows 10, open the task manager. Go to the Performance tab, and click on the Ethernet or Wifi section. Then under the graph, check to see what your current IPv4 address is.

Should be 192.168.x.x

Using the same third value you see in the task manager, try 192.168.x.1 or 192.168.x.254.

For example, 192.168.8.1 or 192.168.8.254, if the third value is 8.

Thanks....tried both of those and still getting too long to respond error.

As basil above said, turn off our wifi as you may be connected to that other network, and try again

Switched off Wi-Fi on laptop...
    And even switched off my internet and existing home router.

Can now see "unidentified network" with no internet. Assume this is the router?

• Advertisement

Probably, try connecting with the LAN cable to be sure, and then check your ip address

Probably, try connecting with the LAN cable to be sure, and then check your ip address

It definitely is.

I have everything disconnected and when I remove the cable and plug it in again, it goes from NOT CONNECTED to NO INTERNET.

So it's detecting the plugging in of it.

When I run the diagnosis on it, it gives the message that it doesn't have a valid up configuration.

Can you get into the modem configuration page now from the IP address?

Fyi, this Ethernet connection is called

Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller in the Task Manager.

??????

I assume this is the Ethernet card in the laptop?

Can you get into the modem configuration page now from the IP address?

No.

Typed in all 3 ip addresses I could see in the ipconfig screen, none working.

2 giving REFUSED TO CONNECT errors
    1 giving IS UNREACHABLE error

And when I go into the properties of the UNIDENTIFIED NETWORK it lists IPv4 DNS servers as 192.168.0.1
    But this also lists manufacturer as Realtek and not Huawei, so that can't be the router?

And this brings up " hmm can't reach this page. Ip address is unreachable "

Strange. Try connecting using wifi to this new router, not the other one and see does that change anything.

Is this a new router? Double check in the manual what the ip address should be, or look at the sticker on the bottom.

Realtek is related to the ethernet/wifi controller in your laptop, not the Huawei router

It was bought 2nd hand refurbished.
    I was assured it it fully unlocked and been tested with a couple of sim cards from different providers.

It's a viva unit from middle East I think.

Will try to connect wirelessly. My own home wireless network is still powered off.

No, not seeing it wirelessly.

The sticker on the back says website is
    http://home router.cpe

Looks like I bought a dud.

For the moment, the SIM card shouldn't be causing any problem, even without it, and should be able to connect to the router using either wifi or ethernet cable and then log in to change the settings.

If the previous owner changed the settings, the default ip address may not be the same.

If you can, try from another laptop too, just to be sure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,729 ✭✭✭degsie

If you could find the manual for the router and figure out how to do a factory reset, you might make some progress.

Advertisement