Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow watch until Sunday 24th (N,W,SW most at risk)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

DanielL18 wrote: »
    West Cork today.

Out of curiosity, where was that? Didn't know anywhere down here got that snow.... in a different time I'd have driven there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭lucalux

Gritters are out every night it's frosty here in Roscommon, I don't live on a particularly busy road, it's an R route. Met them en route to the shop earlier.

Hard frost again, great skies when it clears. The moon is high and there's great light from it, especially over lying snow.
    It's a very particular kind of beauty, moonlit snow.

Very little snow left here, but saw some fantastic snowmen on the way to the shop.
    They'll last a little longer in these -4 or -5 temps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭esposito

Was out there for a look up, so many stars and very clear. Jeez i love this weather. back to cloud and rain from Tuesday :(

Hopefully not for too long:) Models are all over the place for medium term

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭lolie

Some great photos in the thread.
    Nice bright night out and -4c already, pity we didn't get this before the snow as there was barely a trace of snow in the shade by this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

This was my favourite photo I took. The intensity of the showers was such a suprise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Paso Fino wrote: »
    Beautiful morning in north coastal Dublin :)

3LHrPjx

ixNxyad

Is that Newbridge Demesne in Donabate?

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Squeaksoutloud

Is that Newbridge Demesne in Donabate?

Yes definitely looks like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭alentejo

I have never known such variances in snow in Dublin. Raheny which is by the coast typically gets no snow, while Terenure had noting, Strange days

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Some cold maximum temperatures today. Matched Valentia getting up to 5.8C here today near Tralee

-1.0C atm

Kyk1NwX.png?1

• Registered Users Posts: 24,288 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Yes definitely looks like it.

Ardgillan outside Skerries

Actually maybe I'm thinking of some other pictures that were posted this evening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

lawred2 wrote: »
    Ardgillan outside Skerries

Actually maybe I'm thinking of some other pictures that were posted this evening

Isn't Ardgillan in Balbriggan?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,288 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Isn't Ardgillan in Balbriggan?

In neither I'd have thought.. between the two really

• Registered Users Posts: 6,490 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

300m asl near tralee this afternoon.
    Lots of snow at higher levels.

Already down to -5c here in athenry.
    All the melt puddles and slush patches have turned solid.
    At least my snowmen will get solidly frozen and have a chance at surviving a few days!

Currently -7.5, 4 miles east of Athenry.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 DanielL18

Out of curiosity, where was that? Didn't know anywhere down here got that snow.... in a different time I'd have driven there!

Out near gougane barra. The mountain in the picture is called Douce. Wasnt expecting to get any snow so was surprised enough when we got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

AuntySnow wrote: »
    There were 13 frost days in London Heathrow in 2020 according to weatheronline's archive
    Belfast Aldergrove had 14 frost days in 2020

That's a nice feature. I was having a look Dublin airport had 24 days. Almost double. Maybe lough neagh impacts aldergroves total?

2020 frost totals look lower than 2019 and 18. I looked through some Irish stations. Castlederg had the most that I checked with 34 for 2020.

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    That's a nice feature. I was having a look Dublin airport had 24 days. Almost double. Maybe lough neagh impacts aldergroves total?

2020 frost totals look lower than 2019 and 18. I looked through some Irish stations. Castlederg had the most that I checked with 34 for 2020.

Yeah its a goldmine
    I think frost is commonly harder near rivers
    Castlederg is a frost pocket, a go to for low temps in winter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

More fresh snowfall in Letterkenny, didn't see it falling but just looked out before I lie down for the night and the car is all covered again

• Registered Users Posts: 33,097 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Just had a 20min blast of rain there in North Donegal.
    Plain old rain, no sleet, hail or snow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

lucalux wrote: »
    Gritters are out every night it's frosty here in Roscommon, I don't live on a particularly busy road, it's an R route. Met them en route to the shop earlier.

Hard frost again, great skies when it clears. The moon is high and there's great light from it, especially over lying snow.
    It's a very particular kind of beauty, moonlit snow.

Very little snow left here, but saw some fantastic snowmen on the way to the shop.
    They'll last a little longer in these -4 or -5 temps :)

And it’s rare to get that in Ireland. The snow usually doesn’t last long and is usually accompanied by cloud. And even if it’s clear, you usually won’t be lucky enough to get a moon at the same time. I’ll never forget being able to see the countryside for miles around at night from the hill above my parents’ house in the west of Ireland in December 2010. We got a lot less snow than the east but the upside of that was day after day of clear, subzero weather. That meant a lot of moonlit snowy nights. You’re right, it’s a particular kind of beauty. Breathtaking and ethereal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,350 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Would appreciate any real-time road reports as I plan to highlight icy road potential in the morning forecast (and have it up a bit earlier than usual to catch earliest readers). TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Would appreciate any real-time road reports as I plan to highlight icy road potential in the morning forecast (and have it up a bit earlier than usual to catch earliest readers). TIA

Here you go MT

Dazler97 wrote: »
    Here you go MT

These should also

Staying in the family home in Galway for a while. My entire childhood felt like constant rain.

Here I am praying for some precipitation.

Currently -8 east of Athenry.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Currently -1.7°c in West Clare, earlier low of -2.4°c at 11pm, warmed up to +0.0°c by 1am.

Staying in the family home in Galway for a while. My entire childhood felt like constant rain.

Here I am praying for some precipitation.

Currently -8 east of Athenry.

Wow now that must be local temperatures it's - 6c here in mohill

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Snow lying around Kildare town.

Edit.
    Whoops - this is incorrect. Just a very heavy frost combined with half open eyes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Kilygordon -7
    Castlederg -7
    Markree Castle -6

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

10pm

Athenry -6
    Mt Dillon -4
    Markree -3
    Gurteen -3
    Claremorris -3

Cars felt the low temps, battery flat on one car, doors frozen shut on the other one...

Roads not too bad around the town, thankfully we have the motorway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Overnight ground frost seems to have provided just a little bit of grip to the refrozen slush on the roads, I imagine it will become lethal again as it begins to melt.

New Moon

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement