Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spending like a drunk sailor!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,254 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Misread thread title. Thought it was 'speeding like a drunk sailor'

Thought it would involve drunk boat shenanigans.

Disappointed.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

whats the story with an post address-pal?? got an email before Christmas saying i need to give them my credit card details...didn't like the sound of that

• Registered Users Posts: 19,616 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

fryup wrote: »
    whats the story with an post address-pal?? got an email before Christmas saying i need to give them my credit card details...didn't like the sound of that

Yeah and iirc their price went up from 4.50 a parcel to 6.50. Go to the last few pages of this thread and you'll get the latest on whats happening
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057516584

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

I

It's not reckless spending, per se, just items I've needed for a while but been putting off getting - things I'd normally shop locally for but with prime, everything is super cheap and delivered to my door, vs dragging muh feet about primark looking for bargains.

Aliexpress also - I'm a sucker for this site.

Most items are about 1/3rd (or less) the cost of western sites.

How cool is it in the age of technology where we can basically e-shop, effortlessly?

I can't possibly think of anything I would possibly want to buy right now online, aside from perhaps a firestick and a fitbit. And, frankly, I'll wait til places re open to buy them or buy them on click and collect. I've found too many soaking wet parcels over my sidegate that are for the neighbours to trust delivery services.

I've bought clothes maybe three times online. And one of those was only because a jacket I really fancied in the fancy section upstairs in Sports Direct wasn't in my size so I bought it online.

Primarily because

a- you can't tell you'll truly like something without trying them on

b- coats, jeans, trackie pants, impossible to know if you like the feel of them without touching/ trying on

c- most importantly. Brand name clothing online is virtually always either of equal price or, far more commonly, more expensive than in bricks and mortar. The prices of brand name clothes on the likes of ASOS are absolutely astronomical compared to in your local shopping centre for the same stuff.

After the first lockdown lifted in May, JD Sports, Lifestyle, BT, Arnotts, they were all but giving away clothes to make way for summer lines. More fool anybody who bought a shedload during the lockdown at premium prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,068 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

If you are curious about your Amazon expenditure, go into your account and select “download order reports”, :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Wii776

People make me laugh. Moaning and whingeing about prices in shops.. the same shops whose rates pay for street lights etc etc and probably the HAP that some of you receive. Tge same shops that employ local people who pay taxes which keep the show on the road. What'll ye do when there are no shops left, and no taxes to fund society, as all the money is gone to Bezos and a handful of others, who are increasingly pushing AI and automation?

Dont think your jobs arent at risk. Society is symbiotic, and what affects one part will eventually affect all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

Wii776 wrote: »
    People make me laugh. Moaning and whingeing about prices in shops.. l

The main laugh is how so many people have been duped into thinking they are making savings.

MandMDirect are quite cheap I'll give you that, but they primarily stock clothing brands of yesteryear that the bricks and mortar don't regularly stock any more (Umbro, Reebok).

The difference between ASOS and JD Sport are like the difference between a happy meal and Eddie Rockets. Same gear, 30 euro plus more expensive.

One of my favorite sites is 80s Casual Classics, but I've never actually bought anything off them. I have bits from it that they stock for 60- 80 that I picked up in Champion Sport for 20.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,986 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Wii776 wrote: »
    People make me laugh. Moaning and whingeing about prices in shops.. the same shops whose rates pay for street lights etc etc and probably the HAP that some of you receive. Tge same shops that employ local people who pay taxes which keep the show on the road. What'll ye do when there are no shops left, and no taxes to fund society, as all the money is gone to Bezos and a handful of others, who are increasingly pushing AI and automation?

Dont think your jobs arent at risk. Society is symbiotic, and what affects one part will eventually affect all

The same kind of ejits who would complain about cafe prices "a sandwich for 3:50?", "sure I could buy a load of bread for 1 euro, its a rip off" lol

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

poor ol' brick bricks & mortar shops will they recover after this???

with so many converted now to online shopping

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

What are people supposed to do? When your 11 year old needs a 70" tv in their bedroom it's not really practical to wait until lockdown is over?

This dependency on massive online retailers is on the government for not even allowing local shops to have click and collect in place.

• Advertisement
Advertisement