Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump discussion Thread IX (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Scott Tenorman

aloyisious wrote: »
    Bloomberg news reported that Trump stated anything he said on the 6th Jan to the Capitol Hill mob is protected under his 1st amendment rights. That last piece from Trump might end up with the USSC on whether he can claim that, while speaking as the sitting U.S President, it was constitutional for him to tell the mob that he would walk with them to the Capitol and would be with them there, given the outcome of his speech. The fact that he didn't keep his word to them that day but left them to instead go to the White House should echo loud in their memories, as well as with the jurors to indicate that when the s*** hit the fan he had already retreated to a secure location to watch the action on TV, that he knew in advance what the mob was going to do at the Capitol.

He wanted to go and fight along side them but- bone spurs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,145 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Water John wrote: »
    Graham's threat is to drag out the trial for months and clog up the Biden presidency.

I know what his threat is on that level yeah, it's what it amounts to though that is bewildering for me.

Even in the surface level he is saying they will play tit for tat politics rather than run the country and that's also supposed to be a positive thing. It's unbelievable where the level of political discourse is in that country

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 21,268 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I know what his threat is on that level yeah, it's what it amounts to though that is bewildering for me.

Even in the surface level he is saying they will play tit for tat politics rather than run the country and that's also supposed to be a positive thing. It's unbelievable where the level of political discourse is in that country

They've done it for years since Newt Gingrich.

Water John wrote: »
    They've done it for years since Newt Gingrich.

Arguably before that but yeah the modern GOP does have a lot of its roots in that time alright.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 11,585 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

The GOP senate seem to be going to push Marjorie Taylor Greene under the bus, with Mitch referencing her remarks loony lies as a cancer damaging the party. She responded by saying wasn't her that was the cancer in the GOP. Other GOP senators incl Lindsay are backing Mitch against Marjorie.

CNN showed footage of Marjorie walking down what may be a corridor in the house with others, incl the news crew, for a scheduled meeting with the house minority leader about her remarks and statements concerning the House Speaker amongst others. It would be proper for Marjorie to accept a demotion from any house committee seats. Apologies for her statements on what should happen to other house members would be a whole other matter.

I can imagine the howls of rage from Trump if she's demoted by the GOP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,757 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Arguably before that but yeah the modern GOP does have a lot of its roots in that time alright.

When the GOP won back the house after several decades in the minority newt Gingrich said the silent part out loud.

https://twitter.com/jasonscampbell/status/1356719881564086272?s=21

In other news the mypillow owner went on newsmax and starting ranting about dominion voting machines and the male presenter wasn’t taking any chances. Statement read out and then he left.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,525 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Itssoeasy wrote: »

In other news the mypillow owner went on newsmax and starting ranting about dominion voting machines and the male presenter wasn’t taking any chances. Statement read out and then he left.

:eek::eek::eek:

That is incredible. Whatever producer was behind the camera knew exactly what they were doing. I'd say they got some earful from the guy when he caught up to them.

One tweet to remember next week when his trial starts: Trump also made clear his satisfaction with the insurrection and celebrated it by tweeting: "These are the things and events that happen when a sacred landslide election victory is so unceremoniously & viciously stripped away from great patriots who have been badly & unfairly treated for so long. Go home with love & in peace. Remember this day forever!"

When the GOP won back the house after several decades in the minority newt Gingrich said the silent part out loud.

Probably the best thing I'll see today tbh :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭serfboard

That is incredible. Whatever producer was behind the camera knew exactly what they were doing. I'd say they got some earful from the guy when he caught up to them.
    I normally don't watch those things, but that clip is worth watching.

What the male presenter is doing is preventing himself being involved in any lawsuit taken by the voting machine companies on foot of the interview.

When the lawsuits arrive he can say: I read out the statement and then I asked the producers to cut the interview. When they didn't I declined to take any further part in an interview where these allegations continued to be made.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,471 ✭✭✭amandstu

serfboard wrote: »
    I normally don't watch those things, but that clip is worth watching.

What the male presenter is doing is preventing himself being involved in any lawsuit taken by the voting machine companies on foot of the interview.

When the lawsuits arrive he can say: I read out the statement and then I asked the producers to cut the interview. When they didn't I declined to take any further part in an interview where these allegations continued to be made.
    If it's entertainment you need ,keep an eye on the pesky Scots

Trouble on the golf course

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-55912670

:):)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭serfboard

amandstu wrote: »
    If it's entertainment you need ,keep an eye on the pesky Scots

Trouble on the golf course

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-55912670

:):)
    That's gas. Maybe CAB should investigate his purchase of Doonbeg?!

serfboard wrote: »
    That's gas. Maybe CAB should investigate his purchase of Doonbeg?!

Do you know, the thought had crossed my mind:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,279 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Well Trump should celebrate that Georgia is now investigating the voter fraud he's been seeking; the bad news it's from his favorite attorney Lin Wood for moving to a different state and still voting in Georgia...
    For months, conservative attorney L. Lin Wood loudly spread former president Donald Trump’s false claims that widespread fraud had flipped the election. Wood spoke at rallies and filed unsuccessful lawsuits seeking to undo President Biden’s victory in Georgia, which Biden won by nearly 11,800 votes.

Now, Georgia officials have launched a voter fraud probe with a new target: Wood.

On Monday, the Georgia Secretary of State’s Office confirmed to CNN it is investigating whether Wood was a legal resident of the state when he cast his ballot in the Nov. 3 presidential election. The news was first reported by WSB-TV.

The inquiry was prompted by an email Wood allegedly sent a WSB-TV reporter stating that he had been living in South Carolina for “several months” after buying a home there in April, Georgia Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger’s office told the Atlanta TV station.

The new inquiry into Wood’s voting status began with an email to a WSB-TV reporter that read: “I have been domiciled in South Carolina for several months after purchasing property in the state in April.”

Georgia code states that a person can no longer be considered a Georgia resident if they move to “another state with the intention of making it such person’s residence.”
    Yet again the voter fraud accusations ends up being Reps. blaming the other side for what they are doing themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,486 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Nody wrote: »
    Well Trump should celebrate that Georgia is now investigating the voter fraud he's been seeking; the bad news it's from his favorite attorney Lin Wood for moving to a different state and still voting in Georgia...

Yet again the voter fraud accusations ends up being Reps. blaming the other side for what they are doing themselves.

They should nullify Wood's vote, That would mean Trump lost Georgia AGAIN!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,320 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

They should nullify Wood's vote, That would mean Trump lost Georgia AGAIN!! :pac:

Would there be anything to be said for one more count?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,757 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

A few more GOP members of congress are slowly coming out against MTG and even Karl rove said in so many word that the GOP need to jettison her quickly.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

A few more GOP members of congress are slowly coming out against MTG and even Karl rove said in so many word that the GOP need to jettison her quickly.

I’m worried she’ll become a lightening rod for the wing nuts. I’d the GOP punish her it could make her a martyr.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 16,645 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Brian? wrote: »
    I’m worried she’ll become a lightening rod for the wing nuts. I’d the GOP punish her it could make her a martyr.

I'd actually be minded to let her be that martyr.
    Let her lunatic fringe views be the lightning rod that drives schism in the GOP.

The views the woman holds and has espoused are indefensible.
    If the McCarthy and the congressional GOP want to persist with supporting her and her position?

Let them.
    Let Trump, Insurrection, MTG, Boebert and Qanon be the hill the GOP dies on.

Take their hypocrisy and beat them over the head with it.
    McConnell coming out strongly against the Dems efforts to use reconciliation to pass Covid relief is a prime example of this.
    Let none of the GOPs perfidy and malfeasance in support of Trump of his loons be forgotten and ram it down their throat.

As Napoleon opined, the Dem's would be well minded to not interrupt their "enemy" in the midst of a mistake.

There needs to be accountability before there can be unity.
    The Germans tried "moving forward" after a putsch in 1923...
    Light sentences, media spotlight and appreciation all while the guilty parties are coddled.
    Didn't work out too well for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,057 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Brian? wrote: »

https://twitter.com/pkcapitol/status/1356791120815128577

She's crazy, but she has been elevated by a media desperate for someone to fill the Trump sized villain role since January. She's a freshman congress women from one of the most right wing areas of America ffs.

The GOP can't do much with her at the moment, they need to focus on finding a candidate who can beat her in a primary as they did with Steve King.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,565 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Yeah, Van Jones on Maher said at the weekend that they should simply ignore her and not fall into the trap that the media did with Trump, giving these crazies the oxygen of endless publicity.

We know how this goes. The other crazies will need to outdo each other to get attention.

What puzzles me are the 4 or 5 GOP senators who rolled out stock replies "I don't know what she said" when asked about her more unusual statements, then say the media should follow up on her statements as if they themselves don't want to look into her statements to learn what she said. They can't even claim they don't have the facilities and time to look for her statements online. There isn't much of an explanation for their delay in doing so, apart from "we'd rather not know" cowardice.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Yeah, Van Jones on Maher said at the weekend that they should simply ignore her and not fall into the trap that the media did with Trump, giving these crazies the oxygen of endless publicity.
    Yeah that's bollocks. The media didn't fall into a trap. They knew what they were doing. They'll continue to give it oxygen because it draws interest.

Yeah that's bollocks. The media didn't fall into a trap. They knew what they were doing. They'll continue to give it oxygen because it draws interest.

This may be off topic but are you blaming the media for reporting titillation?

I think that will be part of the media's remit until the end of time.

Which of us does not share an unhealthy appetite for sensational news?

Is it not baked into each one of us and does not the media feed that demon.

We need our own filter to sort out the serious from the trivial

Turned out that Trump was not just the bad joke ,but also the serious threat to our freedoms.

Or have I misunderstood the criticism? Is it specially the US media to blame ?Is it the internet echo chambers?

Is there an on going thread for this topic?Should there be?

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

amandstu wrote: »
    This may be off topic but are you blaming the media for reporting titillation?

I think that will be part of the media's remit until the end of time.

Which of us does not share an unhealthy appetite for sensational news?

Is it not baked into each one of us and does not the media feed that demon.

We need our own filter to sort out the serious from the trivial

Turned out that Trump was not just the bad joke ,but also the serious threat to our freedoms.

Or have I misunderstood the criticism? Is it specially the US media to blame ?Is it the internet echo chambers?

Is there an on going thread for this topic?Should there be?

I'm not blaming the media for anything. But the notion that they fell into a trap is bollocks. They go where they think the public interest is, for better or worse.

I'm not blaming the media for anything. But the notion that they fell into a trap is bollocks. They go where they think the public interest is, for better or worse.

Well, there is public interest and then there is sensationalism. With Trump they gave over hours to stream his rallies live. But they didn't even dig into his policies, or question the economics of his plans.

I think it is pretty clear that, particularly the likes of CNN etc, feel into the trap that they initially show Trump as a freak side show, great for ratings but not overall important.

That elevated him to vast numbers of people that wouldn't have previously seen him.

MSM have a responsibility to reporting responsibly. That means holding people to account for what they say and do. Not being clapping seals.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Rjd2 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/pkcapitol/status/1356791120815128577

She's crazy, but she has been elevated by a media desperate for someone to fill the Trump sized villain role since January. She's a freshman congress women from one of the most right wing areas of America ffs.

The GOP can't do much with her at the moment, they need to focus on finding a candidate who can beat her in a primary as they did with Steve King.

They are doing to MTG exactly what the GOP and Fox et al did with AOC. A freshman congress women from one of the "progressive" districts in the Country.

They have found someone they believe amplifies the worst aspects of the opposition and she will be used to tar every GOP member of congress , just as the same was attempted with AOC.

Now - AOC is simply in European terms a fairly generic Left leaning politician albeit a bit more "woke" than we might see here. MTG on the other hand is a wild conspiracy theorist and holds clearly abhorrent views.

I mean , compare the "offences"

AOC - "Healthcare for all" , "Increased taxes on the rich"

MTG - "George Soros pays for Space Lasers controlled by Jews to burn California" , "Schools Shootings are false flag events using Actors and nobody was killed"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,140 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

We can all have a wry chuckle at the outlandish idiocy of believing in space lasers starting bushfires, but it takes an especially depraved mind that would fictionalise dead children rather than confront the horrific reality of widespread gun ownership. That's a cognitive gordian knot.

Particularly as, if indeed school shootings WERE faked, the conspiracy clearly isn't working given shootings continue to be a common fact of American life, while legislation stalls within legislative bodies. It's a terrible strategy by all accounts; surely it'd be cheaper to bribe the senators needed.

Mind you. I've said it before, but in any other civilised country, Sandy Hook WOULD have been the watershed moment. That wake-up call that the issue had trailed long enough and required intervention - see Dunblane in the UK back in the 90s (wasn't there similar in Australia a couple of years ago? I forget). Not in the US, no. The vacuous, asinine "Thoughts & prayers" floated across the lips of conversations with elegant practise, because even dead toddlers couldn't shift the stain. Alex Jones then planting seeds now flourishing in the minds of the likes of Taylor-Greene. As hyperbolic as it is to say, maybe America is beyond saving in some respects.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

pixelburp wrote: »
    We can all have a wry chuckle at the outlandish idiocy of believing in space lasers starting bushfires, but it takes an especially depraved mind that would fictionalise dead children rather than confront the horrific reality of widespread gun ownership. That's a cognitive gordian knot.

Particularly as, if indeed school shootings WERE faked, the conspiracy clearly isn't working given shootings continue to be a common fact of American life, while legislation stalls within legislative bodies. It's a terrible strategy by all accounts; surely it'd be cheaper to bribe the senators needed.

Mind you. I've said it before, but in any other civilised country, Sandy Hook WOULD have been the watershed moment. That wake-up call that the issue had trailed long enough and required intervention - see Dunblane in the UK back in the 90s (wasn't there similar in Australia a couple of years ago? I forget). Not in the US, no. The vacuous, asinine "Thoughts & prayers" floated across the lips of conversations with elegant practise, because even dead toddlers couldn't shift the stain. Alex Jones then planting seeds now flourishing in the minds of the likes of Taylor-Greene. As hyperbolic as it is to say, maybe America is beyond saving in some respects.

The continued cognitive dissonance from the GOP on the issue of Gun Control is staggering.

I mean look at the reaction by the GOP members of the house about having to follow increased security protocols following the riots.

Apparently being forced to go through a Metal detector is a gross breach of their Constitutional and Human rights.

Ignoring the fact that their kids (well... Not their kids , obviously) have to go through metal detectors every day just to go to school to try to keep them safe from being murdered by someone with a gun.

• Advertisement

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    The continued cognitive dissonance from the GOP on the issue of Gun Control is staggering.

I mean look at the reaction by the GOP members of the house about having to follow increased security protocols following the riots.

Apparently being forced to go through a Metal detector is a gross breach of their Constitutional and Human rights.

Ignoring the fact that their kids (well... Not their kids , obviously) have to go through metal detectors every day just to go to school to try to keep them safe from being murdered by someone with a gun.

It isn't really. They firmly believe that guns are inherently safe. That is only crazy people that cause the problem.

Thus is is perfectly right to check kids going into school as they don't know who the crazies are, but they themselves are not crazy and so far from needing to be checked they are actually there to protect people from the crazies.

Advertisement