Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What will be the replacement for Peat Briquettes

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,539 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Del2005 wrote: »
    You can buy bags of seasoned timber. Colder countries than us manage with wood stove heating and don't dig up their bogs for the least effective fossil fuel.

Agreed.
    We use mostly timber and with a bit more effort I could be 100% woods we have our own coppice to supply timber for burning.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

highdef wrote: »
    And how do you propose that you burn oil in a solid fuel stove notwithstanding the amount of acrid smoke and pollution that it would cause?

The long term idea is that solid fuel stoves and fireplaces will be done away with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

_Brian wrote: »
    Not in a stove.
    Good stoves are 80% efficient

Yes but open fire a far more common

• Registered Users Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭saabsaab

GarIT wrote: »
    The long term idea is that solid fuel stoves and fireplaces will be done away with.

Will never happen. I'd say briquettes will be imported from somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

Del2005 wrote: »
    You can buy bags of seasoned timber. Colder countries than us manage with wood stove heating and don't dig up their bogs for the least effective fossil fuel.

Was just watching doc about the Okavango delta. They have peatland in Angola under threat and has huge consequences for unique ecosystem thousands of kilometres away in Botswana.

The consequences of us destroying what is a hugely important ecosystem here is huge. Definitely not worth it when we can look at alternative and more efficient ways of heating our houses.

People think bogs are a wasteland to be exploited when they are the most unique and diverse ecosytem we have.

Future generations will look back and wonder why we didn't stop decades before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

Imported Peat Briquettes from Poland or Brazil being worse and more polluting than our own.

You can't just abolish something without an appropriate alternative. They could have transitioned to willow wood based briquettes grown on the bogs but no, lets just make a rash decision without any forethought.

It's the same Green destruction that will happen to Dublin with the relentless war on cars. It's called the donut hole and will result in economic decline and crime in our city centres

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

99nsr125 wrote: »
    It's the same Green destruction that will happen to Dublin with the relentless war on cars. It's called the donut hole and will result in economic decline and crime in our city centres

Exactly as it happened in Amsterdam or Copenhagen, empty wastelands of city centres as far as the eye can see...

strandroad wrote: »
    Exactly as it happened in Amsterdam or Copenhagen, empty wastelands of city centres as far as the eye can see...

It's already happened but nothing to do with the Greens. Why do people try to hand all problems on the Greens?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

saabsaab wrote: »
    It's already happened but nothing to do with the Greens. Why do people try to hand all problems on the Greens?

You do realise that I'm being sarcastic right?
    Dublin city centre problems are due to crazy rents, car priority and dereliction - the exact opposite of what is usually a Green policy.
    I suppose it's not exactly a peat related topic!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,976 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Just curious do people actually use these as a main source of fuel, I do use 3 bales in total over a winter, mainly for lighting stove but I'd imagine using them as a main source would be horrendously expensive, even if purchased in bulk. No doubting they release good heat but dusty as hell and I'd imagine burn very quickly.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Just curious do people actually use these as a main source of fuel, I do use 3 bales in total over a winter, mainly for lighting stove but I'd imagine using them as a main source would be horrendously expensive, even if purchased in bulk. No doubting they release good heat but dusty as hell and I'd imagine burn very quickly.

Your also breathing in NOX which is carcinogenic.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,976 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Your also breathing in NOX which is carcinogenic.

Jesus I better stop burning 3 loads of turf then

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,799 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Yeah all those pedestrians and cyclists will be so disappointed that they're not being poisoned by vehicles.

Jesus I better stop burning 3 loads of turf then

Yes

Many older people do.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Welding Rod

Always burn about forty bales of briquettes over the winter. Also turf with I buy a small lorry load of every second year and a few bags of stove coal for the really cold nights.
    I saw an artic of briquettes on pallets turning into Kerry store this morning. Shrink wrapped. Must get a price for a pallet. They are only going one way on price from now in, and that’s up fairly sharply I’d say.

Always burn about forty bales of briquettes over the winter. Also turf with I buy a small lorry load of every second year and a few bags of stove coal for the really cold nights.
    I saw an artic of briquettes on pallets turning into Kerry store this morning. Shrink wrapped. Must get a price for a pallet. They are only going one way on price from now in, and that’s up fairly sharply I’d say.

Aye. Got a bale of German? briquettes recently not a patch of BnaM. Dirty to handle hard to light and less flame.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Jay Dee

What about the rest of them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭kaizer13

Burning of any material, solid, liquid or gas for home heating is unsustainable, primitive and damaging to health and to the environment.

kaizer13 wrote: »
    Burning of any material, solid, liquid or gas for home heating is unsustainable, primitive and damaging to health and to the environment.

No argument but what of those stuck with what they have and no money for significant change i.e. pensioners in old houses.

• Advertisement

saabsaab wrote: »
    Aye. Got a bale of German? briquettes recently not a patch of BnaM. Dirty to handle hard to light and less flame.

Lignite I'd say
    Germany has a ton of it

They started burning that ridiculously dirty fuel after pressure to close their nuclear plant by the lo la greens.

Lo las

kaizer13 wrote: »

And how exactly do you suggest people provide heat

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Clodi

Lidl and Aldi will sell them imported from Germany. Madness

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭PalLimerick

The replacement for peat briquettes in Ireland will be German peat briquettes. Madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

And how exactly do you suggest people provide heat

My house is perfectly warm with LPG. Still a fossil fuel but a hell of a lot better than putting our one genuinely unique ecosystems up in smoke.

That ecosystem is a very efficient capturer of C02 so destroying it to burn is a double whammy. Future generations will look back in bewilderment that we kept doing it for so long.

Mimon wrote: »
    My house is perfectly warm with LPG. Still a fossil fuel but a hell of a lot better than putting our one genuinely unique ecosystems up in smoke.

That ecosystem is a very efficient capturer of C02 so destroying it to burn is a double whammy. Future generations will look back in bewilderment that we kept doing it for so long.

The post I was questioning also mentioned gas.

Gas is actual a fossil and a renewable fuel and is an excellent way of heating your home generating power and as a feedstock to industry.

We may never be able to scale up the renewable part but for populations outside of urban areas sewage treatment plants can provide a significant offset to their heat and power demand.

https://www.evoqua.com/en/case-studies/milton-municipal-biogas-cover/

https://waste-management-world.com/a/40-000-tpa-food-waste-to-biogas-plant-opened-at-bristol-sewage-works

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭monseiur

The replacement for peat briquettes in Ireland will be German peat briquettes. Madness.
    Madness indeed.
    Bord na Mona were forced to stop harvesting peat moss by the green lu las to save the planet don't you know !!
    Now we're importing thousands of tons of the stuff from Latvia and other east European countries - that's some carbon foot print, perhaps someone should extract their green heads from their posteriors and tell them.
    If it wasn't so serious it would be laughable. Imagine the Eskimos being forced to import ice and snow and not allowed touch what's on their own doorsetp.

Pity the cutaway boglands couldn't be repurposed to grow biomass and turn it into renewable bio briquettes. A win-win?

It reminds me of the sugar factories shut down. What replaced them?

Advertisement