Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What will be the replacement for Peat Briquettes

Options
  • 15-01-2021 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭

I ask this because it was in the news that Bord Na Mona have stopped producing Peat Briquettes and will instead focus on green and renewables.
    That's just bs pr speak.
    Like what the hell does that actually mean?
    I have a stove.
    What am I going to be putting into it when Peat briquettes are gone?
    No one in media is addressing this problem.
    People need to be able to heat their homes.
    Wtf are people like me going to do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭PMBC

I was thinking the same when I first heard the news today. However, as I listened again this evening, it was said that production would finish in 2024. So a few years left.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭quinnd6

PMBC wrote: »
    I was thinking the same when I first heard the news today. However, as I listened again this evening, it was said that production would finish in 2024. So a few years left.

Not if people go mad and buy them all out.
    You know how stupid Irish people are in general.
    Those who can afford it go mad and buy everything out so others can't get it.
    You remember what happened when everyone went mad and bought up all the bread.
    People in Ireland do that kind of thing and screw things up for others

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭lucalux

Wood, coal/anthracite, wood briquettes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,986 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

You'll be buying Smokeless fuel instead of the brickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,400 ✭✭✭NSAman

Would ya not throw on a pair of wellies and head out to the bog in the dead of night to avoid detection and foot a little turf? well away from the main roads loike???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

quinnd6 wrote: »
    I ask this because it was in the news that Bord Na Mona have stopped producing Peat Briquettes and will instead focus on green and renewables.
    That's just bs pr speak.
    I have a stove.

Wood, smokeless coal. Burning turf is as bad as burning tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,307 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

That's just bs pr speak.
    I have a stove.

Wood briquettes, seasoned timber

• Registered Users Posts: 29,077 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Sawdust logs FTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,334 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Wood, smokeless coal. Burning turf is as bad as burning tyres.

Good to know. Have a heap of tyres out the back. Can safety throw then on the turf fire now. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭jetfiremuck

Imported from Poland or other country if theres a market here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭divillybit

There's some amount of ashes from briquettes, when compared to coal or timber. The 'new' briquettes are made of compressed sawdust and there's very little ashes from them. Bord na Mona have alot of peat stockpiled yet, especially around Lanesboro and Shannon Bridge where the power stations closed. They will find a market for that yet, be it for horticulture or briquettes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭quinnd6

divillybit wrote: »
    There's some amount of ashes from briquettes, when compared to coal or timber. The 'new' briquettes are made of compressed sawdust and there's very little ashes from them. Bord na Mona have alot of peat stockpiled yet, especially around Lanesboro and Shannon Bridge where the power stations closed. They will find a market for that yet, be it for horticulture or briquettes.

Will they come out with environmentally friendly briquettes?
    Will ordering pallets be a thing of the past?
    It worked out handier than it would have been going to the shop every week for firewood would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Will they come out with environmentally friendly briquettes?
    Will ordering pallets be a thing of the past?
    It worked out handier than it would have been going to the shop every week for firewood would be.

You can order pallets of firewood?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,077 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

mp3guy wrote: »
    You can order pallets of firewood?

Or eco- logs

mickdw wrote: »
    Good to know. Have a heap of tyres out the back. Can safety throw then on the turf fire now. Thanks.

I don’t know if thats stupidly or ignorants talking

• Registered Users Posts: 33,356 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Oil?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

All the little guys selling firewood from the trees off their land will do well.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,539 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Dry seasoned timber of any sort is much superior to turf based products.

This market is saturated with loads of small suppliers and if they do a good job on seasoning then it’s a great alternative.

Briquettes had advantages though. The older folk specially will miss them. My mam could pop into town and get a few bales from anywhere in the boot of her car and unload them herself and she’s 75. Maybe some of the compressed wood briquettes will be more common.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,028 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Not if people go mad and buy them all out.
    You know how stupid Irish people are in general.
    Those who can afford it go mad and buy everything out so others can't get it.
    You remember what happened when everyone went mad and bought up all the bread.
    People in Ireland do that kind of thing and screw things up for others

Was thinking the same myself. Better go and fill the shed before they are all gone!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭highdef

NIMAN wrote: »
    Oil?

And how do you propose that you burn oil in a solid fuel stove notwithstanding the amount of acrid smoke and pollution that it would cause?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭dball

• Registered Users Posts: 33,356 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

highdef wrote: »
    And how do you propose that you burn oil in a solid fuel stove notwithstanding the amount of acrid smoke and pollution that it would cause?

For the majority of people, oil will still be the main fuel to heat their homes with.

As for those with solid fuel stoves, there are other fuels. Its not like these stoves will be useless now that BNM is stopping making briquettes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭highdef

NIMAN wrote: »
    For the majority of people, oil will still be the main fuel to heat their homes with.

As for those with solid fuel stoves, there are other fuels. Its not like these stoves will be useless now that BNM is stopping making briquettes.

Yeah, but you can burn briquettes in an open fire or stove so oil is not a replacement fuel for use in a solid fuel stove. In the same way that you can't burn briquettes in your liquid fuelled boiler.

For many older people the briquette is their main heating fuel. Light easy to store easy to buy in small quantities locally and fairly clean. Most won't have an easy alternative.

Just like the Banks getting rid of face to face contact and moving online that's the way it's going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

The gap will be filled with firewood.

MOD SNIP. NOTE: No more of that sort of insulting commentary.

The result, in 10 years time there won't be a decent sized tree left standing in a ditch anywhere in the country. Small groves and patches of wild non-plantation woodland in private ownership will be razed.

And then, what will we do when all the trees are gone?

The gap will be filled with firewood.

MOD SNIP. NOTE: No more of that sort of insulting commentary.

The result, in 10 years time there won't be a decent sized tree left standing in a ditch anywhere in the country. Small groves and patches of wild non-plantation woodland in private ownership will be razed.

And then, what will we do when all the trees are gone?

MOD NOTE Stick to English or don't post again.

saabsaab wrote: »
    For many older people the briquette is their main heating fuel. Light easy to store easy to buy in small quantities locally and fairly clean. Most won't have an easy alternative.

Just like the Banks getting rid of face to face contact and moving online that's the way it's going.

Fires are nice to look at, I’ve stood around many camp and open fires but the reality 70% of the energy realised goes up the chimney. Peat and coal are a colossal waste of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,539 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Fires are nice to look at, I’ve stood around many camp and open fires but the reality 70% of the energy realised goes up the chimney. Peat and coal are a colossal waste of money.

Not in a stove.
    Good stoves are 80% efficient

• Registered Users Posts: 18,964 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

_Brian wrote: »
    Not in a stove.

You can buy bags of seasoned timber. Colder countries than us manage with wood stove heating and don't dig up their bogs for the least effective fossil fuel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 mickster29

_Brian wrote: »
    Not in a stove.

The smoke coming from these stoves that are burning turf and coal is extremely bad for peoples health not to mention the environmental damage.

Advertisement