Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Private profiles - please note that profiles marked as private will soon be public. This will facilitate moderation so mods can view users' warning histories. All of your posts across the site will appear on your profile page (including PI, RI). Groups posts will remain private except to users who have access to the same Groups as you. Thread here
Some important site news, please read here. Thanks!

Dart Fine *& Appeal

  • 14-01-2021 10:13am
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭ redman


    Hi

    Looking for some views based on your experiences please.

    In November my daughter who has a 16-18 leapcard switched from regularly using bus to dart due to congestion and reduction of seating on buses.

    She had only just started using the Dart again and one morning an inspector checked her card and he said it didn't register the trip

    She explained the machine was faulty, that her card had plenty of credit on it and she would have no reason to skip fare. The inspector she said was gruff , showed no interest and wrote the fine anyway and told her to contact the appeal which I did that morning.

    I just got notice we lost the appeal
    "I have reviewed this case and as you had a LEAP card which was not touched on prior to boarding when the facilities were available, the officer was correct in issuing the fixed payment notice issued to you under the Railway Safety Act 2005 section 132 (2) (a) "failure to deliver up a valid ticket". This section is one of strict liability."

    I shared with him her leapcard history and also the fact it is on DD auto topup from my account, thus she absolutely no reason not to tap on !

    It seems incredibly unfair and they state facilities were available contrary to my daughers view.
    I could now got to FOI to understand what proof they have that the machines were working and further legal time and hassle.

    Any advice?

    Redman


«1

Comments

  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭ godtabh


    She was fined for not having a valid ticket. Are you disputing that?


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭ Seaswimmer


    "I shared with him her leapcard history and also the fact it is on DD auto topup from my account, thus she absolutely no reason not to tap on !"


    Well in theory she could save you 2 or 3 euro everytime. I doubt if she was trying to save you money however so I take your point



    I have seen it regularly in Dart stations where the gates may be open and people just walk through without tagging on. I am guesing if the machine was faulty as you say then it wouldnt have let her through
    If she tagged on and the gates opened but didnt register on her card then you may have a case but no idea how you would prove it.

    You are a bit unclear abut the machines being faulty. What was the actual fault? Were there multiple machines? Were they all faulty? If not why didnt she use a different machine? Were other people affected?


  • Registered Users Posts: 17,930 ✭✭✭✭ Cyrus


    Seaswimmer wrote: »

    I have seen it regularly in Dart stations where the gates may be open and people just walk through without tagging on.

    i often do that, but i have an annual card so i have no reason to tag on or off.


  • Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭ Citrus_8


    Nothing to dispute here. I appreciate the fact a validator didn't work (if that's true). Unfortunately, onus is on customer to pay for services. There's more than one validor. A Leap holder should make sure card validated properly. I've been also fined for same reason and no luck or empathy from someone - purely pay your trip or get fined. But, you may complain to whoever do maintenance of these validators - Irish Rail probably, also can complain to the NTA to make them more proactive as it's a real shame some validators are indeed not getting repaired quick enough.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭ 2012paddy2012


    Citrus_8 wrote: »
    Nothing to dispute here. I appreciate the fact a validator didn't work (if that's true). Unfortunately, onus is on customer to pay for services. There's more than one validor. A Leap holder should make sure card validated properly. I been also fined for same reason and no luck in any empathy - purely pay your trip or get fined. But, you may complain to whoever do maintenance of these validators - Irish Rail probably, also can complain to the NTA to make them more proactive as it's a real shame some validators are indeed not getting repaired quick enough.

    I had similar issue. Gave up eventually. I tried every avenue. Better to pay than the hassle of court. My young had a difficultly too , no point - court or pay


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭ redman


    Thanks to you all for the empathy and yes it feels a shame but just need to pay.

    It was Glenageary Dart station that had they main entrance closed due to timing, thus gate was open and you had to tap on to the validator going down the stairs. They may be another validator on the other side of the stairs but I havent gone to look. Just seems very harsh given the situation but once bitten!
    Id buy my teenagers monthly/annual cards but no Dart/Bus options to do so for under 18s that i can find:-(


  • Registered Users Posts: 10,608 ✭✭✭✭ Spook_ie


    Cyrus wrote: »
    i often do that, but i have an annual card so i have no reason to tag on or off.

    You sure about the T&Cs that allow you to travel without validating your pass?

    https://www.taxsaver.ie/FAQs/
    What happens if my Annual ticket won't work in the machines?
    Annual and monthly rail Leapcards can be replaced by logging into your account on to www.leapcard.ie and selecting the 'Replace' option. Click here for more details.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭ Isambard


    i may be being dumb but how do you tell the tap has been recorded? I ask as I'm almost toally deaf and if it's a beep, I wouldn't hear it at all. Can't hear my own car dashboard beep at me! Is there a visual display as well?


  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 43,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭ magicbastarder


    yes, there's a digital readout which (where applicable) gives fare deducted or credited, and whether it was a tag on or off, etc.
    (edit: i'm talking about luas ones, i just copped that we're talking about the dart, of which i am unsure)


  • Registered Users Posts: 17,930 ✭✭✭✭ Cyrus


    Spook_ie wrote: »
    You sure about the T&Cs that allow you to travel without validating your pass?

    https://www.taxsaver.ie/FAQs/

    not sure about the T&Cs but the reality is i have probably validated my pass 5 times in the last year commuting and had it checked several times by an inspector and there was never an issue, so in practice there is no issue.

    i have paid for my trip, why would there be.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭ Losty Dublin


    yes, there's a digital readout which (where applicable) gives fare deducted or credited, and whether it was a tag on or off, etc.
    (edit: i'm talking about luas ones, i just copped that we're talking about the dart, of which i am unsure)

    Same principle at play. It tells you what sort of a ticket pass that you have used or your available cash/credit to hand, then it shows any other validation details that may be relevant. In the case of a train station you also have the readers on the entry/exit barriers where you can validate your card. Plenty of options to tag on, all told.


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭ Hilly Bill


    Cyrus wrote: »
    not sure about the T&Cs but the reality is i have probably validated my pass 5 times in the last year commuting and had it checked several times by an inspector and there was never an issue, so in practice there is no issue.

    i have paid for my trip, why would there be.

    It's just to make sure that card holders are travelling within the valid zone of your card. There was one case of a person on a point to point card over travelling every day. I think they got fined around 20 grand.


  • Registered Users Posts: 17,930 ✭✭✭✭ Cyrus


    Hilly Bill wrote: »
    It's just to make sure that card holders are travelling within the valid zone of your card. There was one case of a person on a point to point card over travelling every day. I think they got fined around 20 grand.

    yes i understand that but if i get on in dalkey and dont tag on and get off in ballsbridge and dont tag off there is a journey that i could have taken that would be outside the validity of my annual ticket, whatever the case is when they scan it on their little machine there is never an issue.


  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭ Dravokivich


    Cyrus wrote: »
    i often do that, but i have an annual card so i have no reason to tag on or off.

    You need to use the card to receive updates. You should see it more as a key, than a pass to flash.


  • Registered Users Posts: 17,930 ✭✭✭✭ Cyrus


    You need to use the card to receive updates. You should see it more as a key, than a pass to flash.

    updates ?


  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭ Dravokivich


    Cyrus wrote: »
    updates ?

    Yeah.

    How do you think your ticket gets onto it, or expiries extended?

    If you aren't tagging on regularly, it's not recognised as an active card.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ Marty Bird


    OP there are 3 validators at Glenageary as you enter the station.


  • Registered Users Posts: 17,930 ✭✭✭✭ Cyrus


    Yeah.

    How do you think your ticket gets onto it, or expiries extended?

    If you aren't tagging on regularly, it's not recognised as an active card.

    its an annual card, ive literally gone months without tagging and it works fine when it needs to. anyway its a digression :D


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭ Isambard


    Same principle at play. It tells you what sort of a ticket pass that you have used or your available cash/credit to hand, then it shows any other validation details that may be relevant. In the case of a train station you also have the readers on the entry/exit barriers where you can validate your card. Plenty of options to tag on, all told.

    so if someone attempted to tag and there was a problem they'd know. I can't see grounds for appeal if the passenger didn't check it had tagged properly.


  • Registered Users Posts: 9,719 ✭✭✭ Marcusm


    Cyrus wrote: »
    its an annual card, ive literally gone months without tagging and it works fine when it needs to. anyway its a digression :D

    Is it Dart only? Probably not applicable here but on other systems with multiple operators, validation of The card is a fundamental feature of revenue sharing betweeen the different transport operators, again not likely to be relevant here. IIRC it is a fine able offence on LT.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,930 ✭✭✭✭ Cyrus


    Marcusm wrote: »
    Is it Dart only? Probably not applicable here but on other systems with multiple operators, validation of The card is a fundamental feature of revenue sharing betweeen the different transport operators, again not likely to be relevant here. IIRC it is a fine able offence on LT.

    Dart only


  • Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭ Citrus_8


    Cyrus wrote: »
    not sure about the T&Cs but the reality is i have probably validated my pass 5 times in the last year commuting and had it checked several times by an inspector and there was never an issue, so in practice there is no issue.

    i have paid for my trip, why would there be.
    For data measures. When you don't tap (and if there're 50 more people who don't), the TFI or Irish Rail may think there're let train users than actually are and reduce capacity by changing a schedule. I strongly recommend tapping.


  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 61,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭ L1011


    RPU on Docklands services practically beg people to tap due to that - gates often left open and a huge % of the passengers would have annual tickets. Before March peak time peak direction trains were crush capacity but the ticketing stats would not reflect that


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭ redman


    Isambard wrote: »
    so if someone attempted to tag and there was a problem they'd know. I can't see grounds for appeal if the passenger didn't check it had tagged properly.

    She tried two terminals both didn't work. (didn't see third)
    Their word against hers, and they did in the appeal... her option was not to travel but she's only a teenager and was going to school.
    Inspector who fined her told her to say unit was faulty and they'd be grand lol


  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭ Dravokivich


    redman wrote: »
    She tried two terminals both didn't work. (didn't see third)
    Their word against hers, and they did in the appeal... her option was not to travel but she's only a teenager and was going to school.
    Inspector who fined her told her to say unit was faulty and they'd be grand lol

    I'm not having a go at you, but from Irish Rail's perspective, the expectation is, if one can't validate their leapcard, they purchase a ticket. Was there a ticket machine available also? sometimes they can be locked away.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭ goingnowhere


    If all the leap card equipment is broken there is NO obligation to pay through other means (for Irish Rail this is the case)

    This is where the magic of a smartphone comes into play

    Photograph and video in these cases is worth its weight in gold.

    If it ends up in court Irish Rail's case may fail when you ask why are there 3 validators on the side gate at Glenageary, it because they break so often


  • Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭ Losty Dublin


    If all the leap card equipment is broken there is NO obligation to pay through other means (for Irish Rail this is the case)

    Unless Leap was your sole means of purchasing a ticket, I doubt if this is actually the case.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭ goingnowhere


    Irish Rail has to prove intent to defraud them of the fare. You hold a valid, in credit leap card, the equipment is broken, you are under no obligation to take further action.

    If the ticket machine is broken on the bus you travel for free....


  • Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭ Losty Dublin


    Irish Rail has to prove intent to defraud them of the fare. You hold a valid, in credit leap card, the equipment is broken, you are under no obligation to take further action.

    If the ticket machine is broken on the bus you travel for free....

    A Leap card is only a valid ticket if there's credit or a pass sitting on it and it can be validated at the time. If it's not valid for whatever reason/s then you need to get a ticket otherwise. In the case of a bus with a broken validator the driver is allowing you to travel so you have your permission to travel.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,084 ✭✭✭✭ ED E


    Just call the customer care number, report it out of service and take the persons name. On luas they'll tell you to travel, then you have the operators permission to be onboard.


Advertisement