Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2021 General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

If anyone has clear skies and a good camera there will be a nice bright moon rising in the east just after 9.30pm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭compsys

Nowhere in Europe apart from the southern Mediterranean is looking particularly warm for the next two weeks or so either. So at least we’re not missing out any good weather...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,006 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Beautiful colour in the sky tonight, photo doesn't do it justice

[IMG][/img]51143978170_9d58d14574_c.jpgRed sky by S, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

NIMAN wrote: »
    Beautiful colour in the sky tonight, photo doesn't do it justice

Agree with you totally Niman about that beautiful colour in the sky this eve! We got a nice shot of it here in Mayo also.

attachment.php?attachmentid=551573&stc=1&d=1619556899

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Average upper air temp anomaly over the next 10 days as per this evening's ECMWF run:

Yvlkjz0.png

It's been a curious year so far. No great cold at any stage, but certainly no great heat either.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

The weather from last Wednesday evening up until Monday night was really nice. There was a wind there for the first few days but Sunday and Monday especially were proper nice days and even quite warm. Really welcomed really enjoyed them.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Dazzling skies after watching the huge moon from my bed last night. Needs to warm up a little though...

Ocean and skies a glory of shining light. Perfection. Just ….. perfection. Mountains etched in cloud.

west mayo offshore

still seems strange to hear an occasional plane.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

So it looks like the heating will be still going on in the evenings well into May. Not impressed.

And my new BBQ will stay under its cover for a while, just hope it’s not June by the time we get some proper warm weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A bright and mostly sunny day here in Castlebar.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭OldRio

One or two light showers this morning. Felt nice when you were sheltered from the bitter Northerly wind.

Leitrim

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

KungPao wrote: »
    So it looks like the heating will be still going on in the evenings well into May. Not impressed.

And my new BBQ will stay under its cover for a while, just hope it’s not June by the time we get some proper warm weather.

If all of May is cool, I'm fine with that if it leads into a summer that is more warm and settled than not.

I'd far rather have cool weather during Spring and a nice summer rather than a warm and nice spring followed by a bad summer.

Having said that, a certain type of weather in spring does not in any way mean that the converse of that will occur during the summer months however historically (and quite possibly statistically), that is often how it has panned out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

I thought rain was meant to be here the past couple of days. Here in Dublin 5, have'nt seen any kind of moderate rain shower for about 3 weeks, garden could do with some rain !! Only 8mm of rain recorded for the whole of April at Dublin airport. Funnily enough April last year at Dublin airport only had 12mm too. I would have always associated April with being quite a wet month. May, June and september tend to be the reliable months while July and August can be very hit and miss

highdef wrote: »
    If all of May is cool, I'm fine with that if it leads into a summer that is more warm and settled than not.

I'd far rather have cool weather during Spring and a nice summer rather than a warm and nice spring followed by a bad summer.

Having said that, a certain type of weather in spring does not in any way mean that the converse of that will occur during the summer months however historically (and quite possibly statistically), that is often how it has panned out.

Not sure I agree. Cool weather in the spring really just means that winter is being extended out, and I think most of us are a bit wore down by the chill come the end of March. One thing about a bad summer is that temperatures are never really going to be an issue as it will never be cold.

New Moon

I thought rain was meant to be here the past couple of days. Here in Dublin 5, have'nt seen any kind of moderate rain shower for about 3 weeks, garden could do with some rain !! Only 8mm of rain recorded for the whole of April at Dublin airport. Funnily enough April last year at Dublin airport only had 12mm too. I would have always associated April with being quite a wet month. May, June and september tend to be the reliable months while July and August can be very hit and miss

Any rain is coming in the form of showers lately so that will always be hit and miss as long as this pattern continues.

New Moon

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Any rain is coming in the form of showers lately so that will always be hit and miss as long as this pattern continues.

We had some very useful heavy showers and with the sun today things are starting to grow.
    Love this weather; so alive. Changeable from breeze, blue sly , clouds. And sun, warm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Is April not usually a dry month? Maybe its different in the east but around here at least April and May are about the only months that are semi-reliably not a washout

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Not sure I agree. Cool weather in the spring really just means that winter is being extended out, and I think most of us are a bit wore down by the chill come the end of March. One thing about a bad summer is that temperatures are never really going to be an issue as it will never be cold.

Absolutely. The idea we can trade bad for good, is in my mind utter bollox.

Is April not usually a dry month? Maybe its different in the east but around here at least April and May are about the only months that are semi-reliably not a washout

I think in general, there is less month on month and season on season variability with the rainfall over the east. Here in the west, as you say, April, May and June tends to be our 'dry season' . Not a given of course as there will always be year on year variation, but more the overall trend.

New Moon

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Lovely evening here in Kerry, cool enough out by the coast at Fenit mind you . Another dry day and only 0.2mm yesterday bringing the total to just 18.4mm for the month and just 0.4mm in the last 9 days. Was making a shed recently and a couple of outside doors and they have warped I reckon due to the very dry weather with very low humidity ( not my handiwork of course ! ).

Pic :Lighthouse on Little Samphire island Fenit this evening.

Ixolblf.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 7,117 ✭✭✭pad199207

Breeze finally died down now after a very windy day.

Bank holiday Monday currently looking dire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Heavy shower of what looks like sleet in Letterkenny at the moment

Blissfully quiet. Not a whisper of wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,752 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Decent day in Dublin after all, sun has been out for most of the morning and no wind really

Hail and rain coming down in abundance in Leitrim.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭compsys

OldRio wrote: »
    Absolutely. The idea we can trade bad for good, is in my mind utter bollox.

It's not about trading weather. It's about looking at statistics and probability.

In Ireland good, settled and warm weather isn't the norm, as much as we would love to think it is.

I don't think there's ever really been a period where we've had above average temps and sun for more than two or three months max.

Even the great summer of 1995 didn't get going until late June.

If you have a good March, April and May you're almost guaranteed to get a poor June, July and August. As you're not going to get six months of good weather in Ireland.

I can't agree with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

compsys wrote: »
    It's not about trading weather. It's about looking at statistics and probability.

In Ireland good, settled and warm weather isn't the norm, as much as we would love to think it is.

I don't think there's ever really been a period where we've had above average temps and sun for more than two or three months max.

Even the great summer of 1995 didn't get going until late June.

If you have a good March, April and May you're almost guaranteed to get a poor June, July and August. As you're not going to get six months of good weather in Ireland.

Based on my life over over 40 years to date, I can agree to that. Doesn't mean I am correct, that's just my personal opinion.

highdef wrote: »
    Based on my life over over 40 years to date, I can agree to that. Doesn't mean I am correct, that's just my personal opinion.

In my 65 years I don't agree but like you that's just my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,627 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Jesus lads it’s cold there’s no other way to say it and the forecast for the weekend is disappointing. Monday looks like being a bad day.

Advertisement