Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2021 General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

disappointing today after yesterdays unbroken sunshine all day. Mostly cloudy day and wind has more of a bite to it than it did yesterday. Yesterday was just about warm enough to sit in a t-shirt, jumper back on today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Up to 20c in the West Tomorrow. I'm going to enjoy it before the cooler air filters down next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Gonzo wrote: »
    disappointing today after yesterdays unbroken sunshine all day. Mostly cloudy day and wind has more of a bite to it than it did yesterday. Yesterday was just about warm enough to sit in a t-shirt, jumper back on today.

No cloud up this side of the county, sunny all day so far, cool breeze alright

• Registered Users Posts: 6,890 ✭✭✭pauldry

Hope tomorrows better than today. Not going to beach if its cloudy and windy.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Drove to the beach it’s absolutely Baltic cold uncomfortable in the wind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A very pleasant afternoon here just east of Castlebar . Light winds, high cloud but sun coming through it. 18 degrees currently

• Registered Users Posts: 18,072 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Bright and dry again but this ridiculously cool and biting wind is becoming a bit of a joke at this stage. Very unpleasant to sit out in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Dark and grey all day once again in Letterkenny. Guess we'll try again tomorrow :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Lovely in my west-facing garden now. Sun still going strong and only the sound of a distant lawnmower. That reminds me, I'd better get up off my ass and cut my own grass...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Turned out a really fine day here in Tralee once the high cloud cleared late morning, breeze slow to die down though. Still a bit of breeze this evening from the SE and staying mild at 13.1C . Got up to 19.8C in my tree lined site with very low Rh down to 56% today. Could be even warmer tomorrow, ground very firm now. Saw a tractor ploughing with a cloud of dust behind it today. Very little if any rain in the next 5 days for these parts.

Pic : Nice clear sky a short time ago.

gvAXkoc.jpg?1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

In 2021 the 30 year averages for 1991 to 2020 will be released. Of the 14 stations, 5 have since closed and 2 others data wasn't available for the last period. So are we only looking at 7 stations. Its very poor coverage. 3 are slap bang on the coast. 3 are airports and Casement, all are in coastal counties. No real inland coverage. Will there be new locations added? Anyway its a shame they closed those stations. Are M.E badly underfunded or what's the story?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

A nice day today but that niggling breeze gets in the way of any bit of heat from the sun alright; still, not complaining about the dry weather!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

That breeze was a shocker today in Cobh. Made any outside time a chore. Regular gusts to 40+kmh and my weather station recorded a 69.8kmh gust about 9am today. Seems excessive, but I'd well believe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

That breeze was a shocker today in Cobh. Made any outside time a chore. Regular gusts to 40+kmh and my weather station recorded a 69.8kmh gust about 9am today. Seems excessive, but I'd well believe it.

Was in cork myself today and by the coast for a while. I’d well believe your recording it was actual uncomfortable at times in the wind and cold. Can anyone tell me if that’s going to ease over the next few days?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,890 ✭✭✭pauldry

Was full on cloudy in the Northwest today. Yet Met Eireann never acknowledged this. Wonder why.

They did say spells of hazy sunshine which there was but on other days similar to today they usually say more cloud in the North and West and sunshine will be hazier here. Still a lot of high cloud hanging around on the satellite. Hope it gets sorted out and we have proper sun again on Saturday...like Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Bsal

Dublin airport's humidity was as low as 24% this afternoon, don't think I've ever seen it that low here

METAR EIDW 231500Z 14010KT 100V160 CAVOK 14/M06 Q1025 NOSIG=

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭4Ad

Cloudy and a cutting wind all day in East Clare, the sun did it's best to warm us !!

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

There was a good decent halo around the moon when I was outside earlier on tonight. I also observed a sun halo lasting for a couple of hours earlier on this afternoon.

Sun halo earlier on.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=551186&stc=1&d=1619223617

We have also had a couple of nice evening skies recently where the colour fades only slowly and softly after the sun sets. Coupled with a countryside full with the music of birdsong, they have been especially nice evenings to be pottering around out of doors.
    Central Mayo.

attachment.php?attachmentid=551187&stc=1&d=1619223647

• Registered Users Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Goldfinch8 wrote: »
    We have also had a couple of nice evening skies recently where the colour fades only slowly and softly after the sun sets.

Similar here Goldfinch8, the mornings have tended to be nicer than the evenings with the lack of an annoying onshore sea breeze. Been out trying to make the most of the fine weather but that wind can really be tedious to put up with in the middle of the day especially.

Wednesday's sunset brought a nice dusty red sun that reminded me of the sunsets of April 2019 when there was an unusually large amount of haze and dust in the atmosphere, at least from observation that is. This was from the Howth Cliff Walk and facing towards Dublin Airport.

15g8qHP.jpg

Thursday morning gave a glimpse of a red sun too at the low horizon but quickly disappeared into the cloud which broke up nicely with the sun's rays scattered at Balscadden Beach.

mWOAsUz.jpg

Thursday evening was beautifully clear with very little cloud at Dún Laoghaire.

83bOZ6x.jpg

Friday evening yesterday had a lovely sky of high cloud that made for some wonderful golden hour light at Sutton.

rCS5Edx.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

Stunning photos Sryanbruen! Absolutely beautiful.
    Lovely to see such picturesque evening and morning skies from the east coast this week.
    I lived and worked in Bray for a number of years myself at one stage and I have very fond memories of watching the sun rise looking out from the promenade in Bray, Killiney Hill or indeed from Bray Head itself. Some of the most stunning morning skies that I ever recall are from the east coast.
    I have noticed those slightly hazier skies here in the west this week just like you and they have added to the softness of the evening sky and sometimes have given a much more reddish hue to the sinking sun.
    Oneiric mentioned during the week a hazy evening sky that reminded him of what sometimes seems like a precursor to a good old summer thunderstorm and I could see exactly what he meant.
    I know that the wind has been painful at times on the eastern side of the country over the past number of days. We usually tend to do a bit better in these current setups down in this part of the west and for me personally, today is a stunner and is shaping up to be possibly the best day of the year to date in these parts. Hopefully it will be crowned with a nice sunset later.
    Anyway, thanks for sharing those wonderful pics!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭snowgal

Beautiful clear blue skies here in meath! Lovely

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

A beautiful cloudless day in Castlebar, 19.4C currently with a nice light breeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Was supposed to be working out the back but spent the last hour just watching budding branches dancing beneath the blue sky. A wonderful day and the nicest so far of this spell as although still breezy, it is also comfortably warm.

Crap pic but budding ash leaves at last:

ksqnnPU.png

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

IjptWIh.jpg

New Moon

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Beautiful day in Kerry, got up to 21.1C at my site. Quite breezy but lighter now, like a summers evening out there at 15.6C

Pic: Tralee Bay early afternoon.

oetSzt4.jpg?2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Best day of the year so far by a distance here today, went up to Portsalon for a spin earlier for some much needed exploring

IMG-20210424-163205.jpg

IMG-20210424-163224.jpg

IMG-20210424-164015.jpg

IMG-20210424-164019.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Was in cork myself today and by the coast for a while. I’d well believe your recording it was actual uncomfortable at times in the wind and cold. Can anyone tell me if that’s going to ease over the next few days?

Absolute cracker today... down on the Beara it was a bit misty, and the same on Knockaboy, Corks County Top. The sun wasn't THAT strong compared to other days but it was warm.

Max gust of 68kmh at my station in Cobh, absolutely flaying wind out there. Ruining this whole nice spell.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Maxima of 20.6 at Belmullet and 20.1 at Valentia today. Cooler along the east coast but it was still spectacular at the beach. Unbroken sunshine all day. Valley station (at the same latitude, just across the water at Holyhead) topped 3200 KJ/m²/h solar radiation at lunchtime.

551271.png

551272.png

551273.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

Any chance for rain for kilarney over night to help with the fire in the national park? Friends say they had extremly light rain for 10 minutes on Dingle penisula this evening. Even a wind lull would be great overnight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,679 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Incredible day and sunset in Galway. This weather really lifts the spirits.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Advertisement