Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Recording service history

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

You can just as easily forget to stamp a book as you can forget to log it digitally though.

For what it's worth, brands where the front of house/ service advisor is expected to log the records, compliance seems to be very low vs brands where the technician is expected to log the record.

Uncoincidentally i would say, brands that i have seen where the technician logs the online record are measured by the manufacturer on workshop throughputs vs online records created and are fined if one is not consistent with the other.

Virtually every brand is different however.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭angela1711

You can just as easily forget to stamp a book as you can forget to log it digitally though.

For what it's worth, brands where the front of house/ service advisor is expected to log the records, compliance seems to be very low vs brands where the technician is expected to log the record.

Uncoincidentally i would say, brands that i have seen where the technician logs the online record are measured by the manufacturer on workshop throughputs vs online records created and are fined if one is not consistent with the other.

Virtually every brand is different however.

Oddly enough in our dealerships the service advisors do a digital record but if it’s an older car that still has a service book that would be stamped by a technician and people normally look at their book when collecting their car so if a stamp is missing they would tell us immediately.

Most people don’t even realize that they are suppose to get a copy of their digital service record.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 averyon

Hi , my e class was subject to a recall 14 July contacted the mercedes garage to book it in as we are going to France in 2 weeks . Never got to speak to the service dept but the receptionist informed me that the recall work was done in June when it was been serviced. The recall work does not appear on the invoice or the on line service record . Can I be sure the recall work was done ? Should it have been recorded .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Recall work wouldn't be shown on the invoice and isn't a service issue. It's quite normal for recall work to be done at a service before a general recall is issued.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭goochy

I would have thought distributors would be doing some sort of quality checks to make sure services are being logged. Forgetting to do it isn't really acceptable , you don't forget to charge the customer .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

There is no real motive here for the garage, but the car owner. A car owner that's minded to do this however will likely keep the invoices for the work anyway.

I keep the paper invoices but I also scan and mail the invoices to a single purpose email account which date and timestamps all the work too. When I sell my vehicle, I'll give the new owner the email address and password.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Yes, but a customer like myself is going to check the service book for the stamp before leaving the garage whereas I wouldn't have a clue regarding any digital record.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 averyon

It's all about trust , mercedes ireland tell me there is a recall , my dealer after a 5 hour wait tells me it was done back in June . I do keep all invoices , and expect that the recall will be recorded . Am going to call another main dealer Monday and see if they will accept the car for the recall using the vin number . Thanks for comments .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭zg3409

Typically after recall work the dealer gets customer to sign the paperwork, but they don't give the customer a copy. The paperwork with the customer signature is so they can claim the labor from the manufacturer to prove the recall work is done. The person paying for the work to be done is the manufacturer not the customer. May not happen in all brands. It's common for recalls to be done during servicing.

In terms of service records I doubt there is money in creating a service, maybe a cheap worldwide system for back street garages to produce some sort of limited history from their system linked to billing and booking system, but I assume similar systems exist such as used motor factors where they look up vehicle details based on car registration. Most back street garages have access to such a system if over the phone to local motor factors. I know these systems have various price tiers, as in if you want to link your stock of car parts to a website with vehicle registration look.up.its more expensive than just a basic motor factor system. I presume they have some sort of a link back to most car manufacturer systems and pay a fee for access to "as built" manufacturer data. I do know the wrong data is often provided so they give out the wrong part compared to official dealers.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,227 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I know the OP is old now, but as somebody who came from independent garages and moved into main dealers, there is no chance in hell that I am letting a third party have access to our dealer management systems.

From the IT standpoint alone I can think of multiple problems.

If the OP wanted to buy the info legally then it might be considered, but trust me, the price it would take for it to be worthwhile to me, would very likely make the OP's business unfeasible anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,227 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Consider it though, you did not pay for that recall, so why should it be on your invoice?

And I am not familiar with Mercedes, but does their online service record only include service work? Or does it include all jobs done? Because there is a difference there, and I have seen records that depending on your access will only display actual service items and leave out all the warranty repairs, for various reasons. Again, the manufacturer paid for those warranty repairs, they do have some say in what is made available.

Advertisement