Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Running - A hobby or a lifestyle?

• 07-01-2021 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭

Lots of great chat and debate on the logs about this sort of thing.

Do you run easy run EASY? What is easy anyway?
    Do you do S&C, Yoga, Foam rolling, bands, accessories?
    Do you run to compete?
    Do you run to eat biscuits/drink wine?

Thought I'd give it a home for the benefit of all.

Some quotes out of OOnegative's log where this mainly originated from:

I actually think there is a time and a place for this "easy" runs that are sub 7.30 in between sessions, not all year around and not for everyone but that's probably the problem you're referring to, a lot of people run at that pace because they can, not because they should.

none of us (well perhaps one) do everything right to maximise our performance mainly because this is a hobby. Whether its pints/wine/cider, chocolate/trifle/crisps, lack of S&C or running easy/post session days too hard there are so many things we could do better.....if we wanted to suck the enjoyment from it.

This is interesting. Yes if we measure every tiny thing we do it can become a chore, for sure and to previous points on stress management no one wants to be a slave to running and S&C schedules but....IMO we can derive a great deal of enjoyment from running well so there are benefits to doing things right. There's a balance there somewhere.

I'd also like to ask the question on change of gait/running form when doing slower easy/recovery pace runs. Does anyone else have this issue and if so, how do you deal with it? For me I'm noticing an ongoing foot issue disappears when I run slightly faster.

Really interesting discussion!

Is Running for your a hobby or lifestyle? 81 votes

Hobby
    67% 55 votes
    Lifestyle
    16% 13 votes
    We are born to run, who doesn't?
    16% 13 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,414 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Don't think it's completely one or the other.

For me it's a hobby that impacts on, but doesn't completely dictate, the lifestyle. To answer the four specific questions,

1. Yes, easy runs easy.
    2. No meaningful amounts of S&C/Yoga/Pilates etc (although I go back to this occasionally)
    3. Yes, I like to compete. I especially like competing against, and beating, people I know do their easy/recovery runs too hard. :)
    4. Yes, plus cake and beer.

Having said that, it's not all cake and beer. When on holidays, for instance, I run every day. In fact I often choose holiday locations that facilitate this (luckily the mrs doesn't mind as she runs too).

Never had any problem with gait and running slow. Sure, it changes your gait - so what? So does walking.

If I had more talent, maybe I'd work harder. Happy enough to be a fairly dedicated mid-packer who is reasonably competitive in the age grade.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Murph_D wrote: »
    Don't think it's completely one or the other.

For me it's a hobby that impacts on, but doesn't completely dictate, the lifestyle. ...

I do actually. Maybe if I asked it this way. If you had to stop running tomorrow forever, how would that make you feel? What affect would it have on your life?

A log was only started recently from a sub3 runner who fell off the wagon after Covid kicked in and the social fit for life style running groups stopped. Thats just a social aspect that I feel makes it more than a hobby.

How many feel absolute despair about becoming injured during a marathon or couch to 5k plan? Often because easy runs were run to fast, no recover and out of tune with the body progressing, recovering, regressing (another thread opened to discover more about that!)

When you put your heart and soul into something, an you read about it on logs and race reports here, I think thats more than a hobby.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭Duanington

Do you run easy run EASY?

Yep, lots of it

What is easy anyway? Easy is the ability to hold a conversation, regardless of what the number on the watch tells me.

Do you do S&C, Yoga, Foam rolling, bands, accessories? Yep, its my passport to running these days

Do you run to compete? I compete when I can but I think that's part of the process as opposed to the outcome

Do you run to eat biscuits/drink wine? Nope - I do enjoy the odd biscuit or bear or weekly takeaway or whatever though.

Carrying on the easy running theme.

I get the general consensus that there isn't enough genuine easy running in most people's week, most if not all of us could slow down at times, particularly in the days after a big session or race or whatever

But at the same time, there is a place for for that slightly higher end aerobic training and it really depends on what the individual is working towards.

If someone has poor endurance but good speed, they could maybe do with some slightly faster easy running in their week, for the duration of time they are working on that endurance - so long as their body can handle it of course

If someone has great endurance and poor speed, they probably should be focusing more on sessions and therefor really ensuring that every easy run is about recovery, slow recovery - given that the endurance is there already.

In my own case. My PBs don't stack up very well from 5k to marathon so I would have to admit that I am not quite as strong a runner as I think at times. I can keep up with just about anyone I've ran short sessions with on a track but put me into a half marathon or a full marathon with the same people and I struggle to get near them.

That would indicate an endurance issue, which is something I started to address 2 months ago and will spend the next 3-4 months working on. Lots of easy miles, yes but also a healthy dose of higher end aerobic running in between sessions. I'll run very very easy when required but there are going to be "easy" days that are not far of steady state for me.

The * in front of this of course is that there is no real speedwork to recover from so I can hopefully "get away with it"

I guess, when we look at the kind of pace people are running, we have to look at what they are working towards and their history before making a judgment.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭FinnC

Easy for me is not a pace it’s how I’m feeling on a particular day.
    Personally I think it’s a mistake to run your easy runs at a certain pace, ie 1 min slower than Marathon pace or whatever. That should only be used as a guide if your a beginner IMO.
    When I finally stopped doing that and started doing easy runs by perceived effort my times started coming down but more importantly I was enjoying running more than I ever had in the past.
    Listen to your body not your watch I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

It started out as a hobby and an effort to get healthier, but has now become a lifestyle I feel.

Do you run to compete?
    [/I]

I try to run 'properly' easy on the days that aren't workouts or sessions but 'properly' has changed for me over the last few years! At first it was perceived effort which was probably perceived wrong most of the time; then it was pace as calculated from race efforts and more recently it has been by HR. Am I disciplined 100% of the time? Of course not, but surely better than running steady on every run :) I think Duanington raised an excellent point in the log where this conversation started of wondering just how good those maybe-not-so-easy runners could be if they actually ran easier!

Yes I S&C :) NO I don't run to compete, or maybe just compete with myself year on year!

I don't run to eat certain things - and I don't think anyone should? Seems like a bit of an unhealthy mentality to be honest. I don't have a perfect diet, and I go through bad and good phases but at the same time I'm not a pro athlete!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

It's definitely a lifestyle for me and yes, I do try to make choices that allow me to keep running such as S&C and reasonably(ish!) diet, sleep etc.

Yes. I always keep one eye on my HR for easy runs even though the plan I'm currently following gives a pace range. I'm very poor on recovery runs, mainly because I don't do a huge number of sessions but also, my recovery run pace is closer to a walk :o. There's the ego Adrian mentioned on OOnegative's log!

Yep :p where's the smug emoji! Started doing this again regularly and consistently during lockdown 1 and I've stuck with it, expanding my home equipment and I've just committed to a 6 month S&C online class. I plan to do this 3 days a week, two of them on non run days. Personally it's made a huge difference to my running. I was struggling to run 5k in lockdown one, I did a 16K mountain run in November and felt strong so to me that says it all.

Do you run to compete?
    Yes, mainly against myself but I would look at others in my range and try to beat them in races.

I'd be lying if I said no but it's not the primary reason for running!!! 2021 is the year where I will focus on the saying 'you can't outrun a bad diet'!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Do you run easy run EASY? What is easy anyway? I try to run easy as much as possible (it's all relative to fitness at the time). Otherwise running more frequently as time goes on won't be an option.

Do you do S&C, Yoga, Foam rolling, bands, accessories? None of the above, need to start skipping for my core but it's gathering dust at this stage. I'm finding it too hard to break the habit of just running without other activities.

Do you run to compete? Against myself yes, will always know where fitness is at a point in time and try to push it relative to where I am at.

Do you run to eat biscuits/drink wine? No, never though of it like that, I do have a sweet tooth though and gave up trying to change that, >30 miles a week is easier to keep in mind as a benchmark for maintaining weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Do you run easy run EASY? What is easy anyway? This is a definite yes for me. I use a chest strap and use HR rather than pace to control easy pace. As P said on the other thread there are physiological changes that happen at certain effort levels and I don't trust myself to perceive effort correctly. :o

Do you do S&C, Yoga, Foam rolling, bands, accessories? When the physio suggests its to get rid of a niggle. :pac: It is something I have to change though and hope to continue following a core routine I started 2 days ago. To be honest this was only done because a glute/hamstring has been giving me grief since I started back :pac:

Do you run to compete? No, not now. I probably did when I started on the 2017 novices thread hoping to go Sub 4. I was quite comfortably the oldest and figured I had to train hard not to be disgraced by them! At this point I have nobody to get competitive with and am not remotely motivated by target times that are achievable.

Do you run to eat biscuits/drink wine? No, I run and drink beer not "to" drink beer! I actually have a pretty good diet when it comes to food but drink is another question. I won't quantify it here but most of you would send me to the Rutland Centre if I did. :pac:

none of us (well perhaps one) do everything right to maximise our performance mainly because this is a hobby. Whether its pints/wine/cider, chocolate/trifle/crisps, lack of S&C or running easy/post session days too hard there are so many things we could do better.....if we wanted to suck the enjoyment from it.

Not sure who said this first - skyblue? - but who’s this mysterious perfect athlete who may be among us?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Murph_D wrote: »
    Not sure who said this first - skyblue? - but who’s this mysterious perfect athlete who may be among us?

Perfect athlete wasn't something I said :pac::pac: However the OP of this thread inhabits a different world to most of the rest of us when it comes to controlling the controllable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

It’s an addiction!

As I’ve gotten a bit older I see the benefit of doing easy runs very very easy and try and nail my sessions.

As Ecoli keeps telling me “ training not straining”

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Easy is entirely on feel for me. Pace would change from day to day depending on a multitude of factors. Could be 5:10/km one day, could be 4:40/km the next.
    That's not to say i completely disregard the watch, but i know what's easy and what's not at this stage. My training is pretty straightforward; 2/3 sessions a week (inc LR) and easy for the rest. I'd usually have a distance target to hit for the week with about 10k leeway either side, but the only prescribed runs are the sessions.

No.

Do you run to compete?
    Yes. Initially with myself and the clock, but as time has gone on and I've joined a club, I've gotten a lot more competitive. Which is a good thing.

Not at all. I don't understand people who take that approach. I run to eat Indian food and drink IPA's :) Listen, the calorie deficit helps and there's nothing like a few beers and a take away after a big race or a LR. But if a marathon is announced tomorrow, I'd go cold turkey on both without a moment's hesitation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Thanks for robbing the discussion out of my log M!!!

Yes I do and I am a big advocate of easy running, like J my pace can range from day to day depending on how the body feels and what kind of moon I am in. I try to keep it within the 8.10-8.30min/miles range as I think anything faster at my current level of fitness is drifting into the Steady range.

I foam roll and stretch religiously for 15 minutes at least post run due to an ongoing hip ailment, if I didn’t I would be a mess the day after my run.

Do you run to compete?

With myself, I’m not good enough nor never will be to compete at the pointy end of competitive races. If I can beat my own PB’s I am more than happy, if not it’s not the end of the world I just go again. I love to race and hugely miss it at the moment.

No, not a fan of biscuits and as for wine, better for cooking than drinking!! I do like my IPA’s like J and probably liked them to much in 2020. But again if a marathon/race of any kind was announced here for definite in The Netherlands I would be off it in a shot. As for takeout, once in a while isn’t a bad thing, but having a wife that’s an excellent cook helps stay away from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭6run28

Lifestyle I suppose. I do make some life choices based around running (food, alcohol, holidays etc)I usually run 5/6 days a week and the thoughts of not running for any period actually makes me feel quite uneasy. It is such an ingrained part of my life and has been a solid constant through all the various ups and downs of my life. I only had one real injury which laid me up for a while and I swam daily instead which tided me over. I would be a very average runner speed wise and often run without the watch but I would be strict enough on timing & pacing LSRs in marathon training.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

First of all, thank you for this thread, great idea.

Lots of great chat and debate on the logs about this sort of thing.

Answer: Currently only run 4 days a week, Mon is easy, tues speed, thurs tempo and sat long run at easy pace.
    When i add more days in, they be at easy pace.

Answer: Used to do reformer pilates, best thing ever for my running, got all pbs back then. Sadly life got in the way and couldn't keep it up.
    I do a bit of stretching and strenght work but not enough

Do you run to compete?

Answer: Ran to to compete with myself and to hit certain milestones, ie sub 20 5k.
    Find though i put to much pressure on myself for the times. If i don't focus on times I run better.
    So relax approach here in

Yes I do run to keep the weight off. I have a sweet tooth but also like to enjoy myself. Life is too short not to enjoy what it offers to you.
    From running to a nice meal or beer.

Not sure I get the connection between easy running and the hobby vs lifestyle choice. Both types of runner should be doing easy runs easy. Whether you do or not doesn’t put you in one camp or the other, surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

Good idea for a thread and saw some of it in the logs

I've spent most of the year running easy using a combination of HR and pace. I checked out what easy pace should be for me based on 5k time which is ~9 minute mile 5.40 m/km pace and then was also using the optical HR on my watch and looking to keep in Zone 2. These both seem to align although I've changed watch and trying to get a better understanding of my HR values now as I'm typically at high end of zone 2 which could really be zone 3 if you haven't done the proper tests etc. It is easy comfortable running (an all day running pace) and I typically wouldn't feel any after effects of those runs except a clear head. At this stage i'm probably very light on the sessions and need to do more of them as my endurance is still off when comparing my mile or 1k paces to longer distances

Do you do S&C, Yoga, Foam rolling, bands, accessories? I was doing S&C once a week and found it super especially for core strength which translated into better running and swimming form. Kettle bells was great for making the body feel strong. With lockdowns this has gone by the wayside as it's just to hard to do in the house with everyone around.

Do you run to compete? I compete with myself against a time and I'd be very time focused. It's nice to see if I place in the top half/quarter/20% of my age group but that is about as far as I'll ever get. As I'm only active 4 years I can still reach PB's and new distances to try so over time i'll need to shift that thinking.

Do you run to eat biscuits/drink wine? Initially it was to get fit and loose some weight. My diet isn't bad with lots of fresh cooked meals and few takeaways but i've always eaten in volume to feel sated. I also like my wine, beer and G&T's so that does add the calories... Now it's about maintaining the weight and I've really found the mental health benefits to be brilliant especially with lockdowns. The mood uplift, clear head and de-stress after a run is game changing and has kept me fairly sane the last year. I feel it when I haven't been out for a few days.

At this point it's a lifestyle, I've baked exercise into my weekly life and wouldn't be without it and I flex which sport depending on how my life is running and what works at a particular time or fits the family routines.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Do you run easy runs EASY?
    Yes, easy runs easy but don't really enjoy them, prefer the faster stuff. A run is boring without a few strides or something else or at least a scenic view - harder to get during lock-down.

S&C, bands work for me; not so much the foam rolling & Yoga.
    Got injured during first lock-down when I ramped up the mileage without S&C - probably not easy enough miles either.
    Got a good mix of easy runs and S&C every day over Christmas but can't keep that up when working.

Do you run to compete?
    Very much so, competing with myself and other age-groupers is what gets me out doing mile reps on an icy road in January during lock-down

No - a few biscuits, cake, beer are fine. Cleaned up my diet a few years ago when I started back running and no problem to keep it that way. Don't like the idea of running to balance out the bad diet.

Is Running for you a hobby or lifestyle?
    hobby - an activity done regularly in one's leisure time for pleasure.
    lifestyle - the way in which a person lives
    Definitions from Oxford Languages
    Hmm - by above definitions it's a bit of both. Definitely an activity I enjoy (as long as I keep the variation and competitive motivation) but it has become a lifestyle that includes a lot more than the hour a day I spend running. I am a runner not some one who runs.

dna_leri wrote: »
    Is Running for you a hobby or lifestyle?
    Hmm - by above definitions it's a bit of both. Definitely an activity I enjoy (as long as I keep the variation and competitive motivation) but it has become a lifestyle that includes a lot more than the hour a day I spend running. I am a runner not some one who runs.

Cheers for the definitions. Seems the lifestyle option in the poll is shading it so far.

I am a runner not some one who runs
    .... Love this. An interesting way to look at it.

Guess I should answer my own questions :cool:

Historically no. Comically nearly every run for my first ever marathon was on marathon pace :o Next I started to use heart rate but not much better. If a run was to be 150hr I'd run it so the average was 150hr not capped. Thus most of the run would actually be over the limit! I've since used heart rate to control my zones. I tend to cap it as max hr for a run. I am disciplined to it 80% of the time.

A few runners I respect both as runners and human beings gave me the same advice.. you gotta go easy to go fast. One of those runners was a masters XC and the other a 32min 10k friend.

So I've improved. Alas, as early as last year after the excitement of finally getting a sub 3 the previous summer, I decided to ramp up mileage. Even with a plan I just didn't run enough % easy enough. As I get fitter it should not be that I can run faster for the same easy heart rate, I should still look to run slow/easy for even lower effort.

Finally the word slow. To get it out of the way we are all "slow" in comparison to the most elite of every distance so its not about ability.

SLOW was just not a word I considered part of my life. Everything is busy, fast. I've had to learn how to slow down in lots of ways in my life but for running, replacing the word easy with "slow" was a significant mindset. Sometime you feel great and could be dashing along at threshold pace, in the zone thinking to yourself... "this is easy!"... as your muscle fibres hold up white flags.

I've made it a thing to call one of my weekly runs "slow" and its a capped Z1 HR run. My goal is to dial that RPE just like I would with any TT or race effort.

Always learning!! :)

Years ago when I was training for Ironman, I was invited by the University of limerick to take part in an athlete study with a class of its students in the Sports Science dept. It involved a training and nutrition diary (that the Munster Rugby Nutritionist managed for me). I also had dexa scans and lab fitness tests as part of the study. I was training 15-20 hours a week.

One day giving a talk to the students, S&C came up first in the Q&A. It was from no other than Gerry Flannery, Munster & Ireland Rugby. He looked at my straight and asked why no S&C in my training program? I felt I was getting enough stimulus from the swimming, running, cycling, pilates, yoga and he almost laughed at me, respectfully. Basically I didn't understand the value of specific strength and conditioning and felt even if I had I didn't have time.

My Mum was a pilates and sport yoga instructor at the Arena at the time and half the club went to her classes. It was handy for me to do the class and meet her twice a week.

What I wasn't getting was the value of dialing in specific strength and conditioning movements for a miriad of reasons.
    1. Posture (I sit most of the day).
    2. Core strength, for when I get tired during races and don't "run tall". All the small muscles that dont get developed.
    3. Importantly - a continuous lateral movement. So many over use injuries stem from ligaments, tendons and muscles being pulled in one way only. Our bodies are design to move freely. Why don't Rugby or GAA player get PF or knee issues from over use like runners? Sure they get some but most injuries on the field are impact or sudden power/dynamic movement (tears, breaks)
    4. Finally and most importantly... we simply need S&C as we get older and our muscles start to reduce. The more you move and build or maintain strength, the better chance you can still move around in old age.

Finally I never really liked the gym. Sweat boxes, waiting for machines, everyone looking at each other or these days at phone screens. I did lots of gym work when I was at uni and on the rowing crew. It was fun as we did it as part of a team. I enjoy lifting weights, just not in commercial gyms :cool:

These days I have some bands, foam roller, dumbells, kettle bells, pull up bar etc at home and the whole family use them. I follow crossfitters and learn a lot of movements from them. I like working out and like conditioning. WFH has made me find time for it and use the stuff I had lying around.

I also still do yoga but not as much. I mix it up and try to do something most days with a 20 minutes session a couple of times per week.

Oh and foam rolling? Why I didn't do more of it before I dont know! Instead of paying small fortunes to physios over the years who almost religiously pointed me back to my mat and S&C :rolleyes::o

Do you run to compete?

I competed in lots of sports but haven't seen myself as competing in "running" since I was in school! Cross country was about the only time I competed. I asked myself is it because I am a hobbiest runner? I marked "hobby" in the poll. Mainly because, although I love running, I could cope with giving it up. I'd just fill the void with something else. Like I did last summer when I couldn't run for the bones of 3 months I happily enough took my rowing machine out in the sun and got rowing fit. Fitness and health are more my lifestyle. Running suits it and I particularly enjoy running. However I can just as easily get a kick out of a workout, adventure race, open water swim, mountain bike trail ride, climb a wall, game of rugby, soccer, jumping across sand etc...

Recently something "clicked" about running. Its something I've never really given a good go. Apart from a few plans and races. Short terms stuff. I'd say I'm much more of a runner these days but I think I'd personally need to be involved with a club or running group for it to be a lifestyle.

Rarely drink alcohol.
    Sugar is my vice. I'm pretty good for cooking prepping etc.. I got a scale that does body fat recently. Its not exactly perfect but its another metric that might sink in. I'm pretty certain what my lowest race weight can be so realistic about what I can lose. Just always that half stone that gets ever harder to shift... :rolleyes:

I tend to fuel running rather than run to eat. I do love having a chocolate recovery shake after a workout though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

dna_leri wrote: »

Do you run easy runs EASY? Yes I do now but as many of you know, it took a while for me to cop onto it! It just didn't make sense to me but thankfully I now know it benefits me to run my easy runs EASY!

Do you do S&C, Yoga, Foam rolling, bands, accessories? No well maybe a little foam rolling but mainly only when I feel a little niggle or something. It's something I want to improve on this year.

Do you run to compete? In a nutshell, Yes! Mostly with myself but god I love nothing more than being competitive in a race setting! I have enjoyed all of my training blocks even during the pandemic & I am not as much driven by goals timewise as I was previously, my main aim for training these days is to commit to a plan, follow it as best I can, make myself stronger as a runner & if the times come down due to this then happy days!

Do you run to eat biscuits/ drink wine? No. I think my diet is pretty good most of the time but I do have a dreadful sweet tooth & go through little obsessions with certain sweet foods! But I don't see my running as an excuse or an allowance to let me eat these sweet things. I am a grazer so wouldn't eat huge portions of anything weither it be sweet or savoury so maybe this is my saving grace!!

Like dna_leri I looked up the meaning of both & I feel it's a bit of both for me too. It's something I really enjoy but running 6 days a week for at least the last year & a half I also feel it's part of my lifestyle & i'm sure my family would agree here, they see me as a runner because that's what I feel I am.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭pansophelia

Great topic and great discussion.

For me a lifestyle. I'm not sporty but have been running for about 9 years. Mileage has been up and down - varied between about 450 miles in one particular year to 1450 miles last year. But through all that time running has been a really important part of my head and my life - this is despite the fact that I'm not particularly good at it! I love running on holidays, cause I feel I have more time to do it, I love finding new places to run. If I'm travelling for a conference, finding a Parkrun or an interesting trail near by is one of the first things I look for. The idea of not being able to run is something I would dread - even though I've gone through down times with lack of motivation where I'd have only done 5 or 10 miles a week. Running has given me a lot over the past few years so feels lie more than a hobby.

Mostly now yes - HR training has been a complete game changer. The biggest difference has been the benefit to my running consistency and motivation. I started HR training around May/June last year, and now run seven days a week - aside from missing a few days in September. It was a killer to be running 12 and 13 minute miles initially, but I've seen big gains in my easy pace. My ego does still get in the way though, and I def push a bit harder than I should sometimes to achieve a perceived pace. I also now really enjoy the sessions. It's been interesting seeing what affects my heart rate - for example time of day, amount of sleep, weather, iron levels, time of the month, time since most recent session, coffee, hangover, any incline.

Have been following the Movement101 crew over the past year and signed up to their program - I'm not completely consistent but have been injury free since.

Do you run to compete?
    Well I would if I was competitive! I've been keen for the few years to achieve a sub 4 marathon - but actually think my running has improved this year without having races, it's allowed me to focus on slow and steady training. I miss the kick from racing and look forward to DCM this year.

This was why I started, but now it's a slight bonus - overall running makes me want to eat healthier though.

FinnC wrote: »
    Easy for me is not a pace it’s how I’m feeling on a particular day.
    Personally I think it’s a mistake to run your easy runs at a certain pace, ie 1 min slower than Marathon pace or whatever. That should only be used as a guide if your a beginner IMO.
    When I finally stopped doing that and started doing easy runs by perceived effort my times started coming down but more importantly I was enjoying running more than I ever had in the past.
    Listen to your body not your watch I say.

:D Perhaps the February Challenge can be...

Now that you have gotten the hang of concentrating on your perceived effort for an hour, your next target is to try an run without your watch for an hour again, 2 minutes slower than your average 1 hour pace from January :D:D

:D Perhaps the February Challenge can be...

Now that you have gotten the hang of concentrating on your perceived effort for an hour, your next target is to try an run without your watch for an hour again, 2 minutes slower than your average 1 hour pace from January :D:D

Not sure why you replied to my post, is there something you find funny about what I said?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Cheers for the definitions. Seems the lifestyle option in the poll is shading it so far.

I am a runner not some one who runs
    .... Love this. An interesting way to look at it.

Guess I should answer my own questions :cool:

Historically no. Comically nearly every run for my first ever marathon was on marathon pace :o Next I started to use heart rate but not much better. If a run was to be 150hr I'd run it so the average was 150hr not capped. Thus most of the run would actually be over the limit! I've since used heart rate to control my zones. I tend to cap it as max hr for a run. I am disciplined to it 80% of the time.

A few runners I respect both as runners and human beings gave me the same advice.. you gotta go easy to go fast. One of those runners was a masters XC and the other a 32min 10k friend.

So I've improved. Alas, as early as last year after the excitement of finally getting a sub 3 the previous summer, I decided to ramp up mileage. Even with a plan I just didn't run enough % easy enough. As I get fitter it should not be that I can run faster for the same easy heart rate, I should still look to run slow/easy for even lower effort.

Finally the word slow. To get it out of the way we are all "slow" in comparison to the most elite of every distance so its not about ability.

SLOW was just not a word I considered part of my life. Everything is busy, fast. I've had to learn how to slow down in lots of ways in my life but for running, replacing the word easy with "slow" was a significant mindset. Sometime you feel great and could be dashing along at threshold pace, in the zone thinking to yourself... "this is easy!"... as your muscle fibres hold up white flags.

I've made it a thing to call one of my weekly runs "slow" and its a capped Z1 HR run. My goal is to dial that RPE just like I would with any TT or race effort.

Always learning!! :)

Years ago when I was training for Ironman, I was invited by the University of limerick to take part in an athlete study with a class of its students in the Sports Science dept. It involved a training and nutrition diary (that the Munster Rugby Nutritionist managed for me). I also had dexa scans and lab fitness tests as part of the study. I was training 15-20 hours a week.

One day giving a talk to the students, S&C came up first in the Q&A. It was from no other than Gerry Flannery, Munster & Ireland Rugby. He looked at my straight and asked why no S&C in my training program? I felt I was getting enough stimulus from the swimming, running, cycling, pilates, yoga and he almost laughed at me, respectfully. Basically I didn't understand the value of specific strength and conditioning and felt even if I had I didn't have time.

My Mum was a pilates and sport yoga instructor at the Arena at the time and half the club went to her classes. It was handy for me to do the class and meet her twice a week.

What I wasn't getting was the value of dialing in specific strength and conditioning movements for a miriad of reasons.
    1. Posture (I sit most of the day).
    2. Core strength, for when I get tired during races and don't "run tall". All the small muscles that dont get developed.
    3. Importantly - a continuous lateral movement. So many over use injuries stem from ligaments, tendons and muscles being pulled in one way only. Our bodies are design to move freely. Why don't Rugby or GAA player get PF or knee issues from over use like runners? Sure they get some but most injuries on the field are impact or sudden power/dynamic movement (tears, breaks)
    4. Finally and most importantly... we simply need S&C as we get older and our muscles start to reduce. The more you move and build or maintain strength, the better chance you can still move around in old age.

Finally I never really liked the gym. Sweat boxes, waiting for machines, everyone looking at each other or these days at phone screens. I did lots of gym work when I was at uni and on the rowing crew. It was fun as we did it as part of a team. I enjoy lifting weights, just not in commercial gyms :cool:

These days I have some bands, foam roller, dumbells, kettle bells, pull up bar etc at home and the whole family use them. I follow crossfitters and learn a lot of movements from them. I like working out and like conditioning. WFH has made me find time for it and use the stuff I had lying around.

I also still do yoga but not as much. I mix it up and try to do something most days with a 20 minutes session a couple of times per week.

Oh and foam rolling? Why I didn't do more of it before I dont know! Instead of paying small fortunes to physios over the years who almost religiously pointed me back to my mat and S&C :rolleyes::o

Do you run to compete?

I competed in lots of sports but haven't seen myself as competing in "running" since I was in school! Cross country was about the only time I competed. I asked myself is it because I am a hobbiest runner? I marked "hobby" in the poll. Mainly because, although I love running, I could cope with giving it up. I'd just fill the void with something else. Like I did last summer when I couldn't run for the bones of 3 months I happily enough took my rowing machine out in the sun and got rowing fit. Fitness and health are more my lifestyle. Running suits it and I particularly enjoy running. However I can just as easily get a kick out of a workout, adventure race, open water swim, mountain bike trail ride, climb a wall, game of rugby, soccer, jumping across sand etc...

Recently something "clicked" about running. Its something I've never really given a good go. Apart from a few plans and races. Short terms stuff. I'd say I'm much more of a runner these days but I think I'd personally need to be involved with a club or running group for it to be a lifestyle.

Rarely drink alcohol.
    Sugar is my vice. I'm pretty good for cooking prepping etc.. I got a scale that does body fat recently. Its not exactly perfect but its another metric that might sink in. I'm pretty certain what my lowest race weight can be so realistic about what I can lose. Just always that half stone that gets ever harder to shift... :rolleyes:

I tend to fuel running rather than run to eat. I do love having a chocolate recovery shake after a workout though :)

Fantastic answers, particularly the bit about capping the HR rather than allowing yourself to use a number as avg HR, I am guilty of this.

I'm calling you out on your 'I could live without running' though, I'm fairly sure there was lots of grumbling on strava about not being able to run and all those rowing workouts!! :D

Very surprised you chose hobby given your high activity level but I do see where you're coming from with the variety of activities you do.

As always, there's something to learn from your post.

FinnC wrote: »
    Not sure why you replied to my post, is there something you find funny about what I said?
    Not at all just jumping on the RPE perspective you brought up. I completely agree with you. Its what I had in mind for the January Challenge.

Not at all just jumping on the RPE perspective you brought up. I completely agree with you. Its what I had in mind for the January Challenge.

Ah fair enough. Sometimes it’s hard to tell when it’s written word (and smiley emojis)and not spoken!
    Apologies.

Fantastic answers, particularly the bit about capping the HR rather than allowing yourself to use a number as avg HR, I am guilty of this.

I'm calling you out on your 'I could live without running' though, I'm fairly sure there was lots of grumbling on strava about not being able to run and all those rowing workouts!! :D

Very surprised you chose hobby given your high activity level but I do see where you're coming from with the variety of activities you do.

As always, there's something to learn from your post.

Thanks! And fair enough too!

The grumbling was
    1) rowing due a failed attempt to restart running
    2) on particularly sunny days I wished I was running instead of rowing in one position on my decking.
    3) I just like variety

Thankfully I like the rowing machine. However I hate treadmills. Another thing I didnt like about the gym. I will use a treadmill only for urgent circumstances. I was working over in Michigan last Nov for a week. It was absolutely baltic. I wasnt prepared for that kind if cold coming off the lake and only had shorts and LS top. Hotel staff thought I was bonkers heading out for a predawn run! They even reminded me that they had a gym lol

Honestly I looked up the definitions too. Running is certainly not just a hobby (despite me rotating 8 pairs of shoes) but its part of something bigger. A core value of mine to is basically health is wealth. Being active, making healthy choices and eing fit to live a healthy active life. I changed my whole career because of this value.

healy1835 wrote: »

Not at all. I don't understand people who take that approach. I run to eat Indian food and drink IPA's :) Listen, the calorie deficit helps and there's nothing like a few beers and a take away after a big race or a LR. But if a marathon is announced tomorrow, I'd go cold turkey on both without a moment's hesitation.

I have the beers and takeaway after a race. Problem 1 is I don't race enough! Problem 2 is I sort of graze between the few races too!

Id love to be able to just flick that switch and go cold turkey. I've tried many times. Perhaps thats why you execute PRs the way you do!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

Do I run easy?
    God I've asked myself that very question so many times, I try to, but I end up just running if that makes sense. I run with friends and we chat as we run and those runs tend to be, as they say in the army, at the "slowest man's pace". I like the structure of following a plan as it takes away the guess work as to what pace you should be going at. I do wish I could stick to a 'slow' pace and when I have ran a parkrun with herself I find it almost painful to run at 7min per K pace.

Do I use foam rollers etc?
    Foam roller. back roller and massage gun are used nearly every day. Starting to use resistance bands and investigating doing some S&C via hasfit online. Doing exercises in front of the telly doesn't seem right to me.

Do I run to compete?
    Against myself all the time. I like beating PB's be they race or day to day ones. Now that I'm using strava that will only get worse, only today I stayed out thinking I'd beat my 10mile PB (I did). I would view my day to day and race PB's to be different as I would hope running in a race environment should mean a faster time.
    There are four of us who were parkrun tourists and we would always be trying to get one over on each other, I always pull the age graded card as I'm the oldest ;)

Do I run to overindulge?
    Abso...freaking...lutley I like my couple of pints, chinese and cheese toasties, which probably explains the loss of one argumentative gall bladder this summer, although family genetics played the biggest part as the diet isn't quite that bad. Plus at 51 you tend to want to be healthy as opposed to 'ripped', so my running is about staying fit and healthy while still enjoying the benefits of staying fit and healthy, which means guilt free chinese take aways washed down with a beer or two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Its a hobby that's becoming a way of life for me. I'm happy to let that happen

Yeh, the overwhelming majority of my runs are easy. I generally run 6 or 7 days a week which 4 or 5 would be in the easy range. My heart rate is a good indicator of whats easy for me.

I plan to slowly introduce more S&C. I do a little core work at present but no yoga. I do use the band and foam roller quite regularly due to some historical injuries.

Do you run to compete?

I run because I enjoy it. Its only natural to want to compete in some form when you build up a certain level of fitness IMO.

I enjoy a drink and a bit of chocolate etc but I'd be doing that either way. I don't do one to counteract the other. I cut down on the booze a bit for a virtual marathon back in Oct. If it was an actual race like some others mentioned above, I would have been far better on the diet front.

Advertisement