Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Running - A hobby or a lifestyle?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

if you run faster in a race than you do in training then you run to compete.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Op the original post is missing an option for the poll:

100% purely for weight loss.

That is the only reason I started running. I take it up again every now and then when I put on weight.

For example I hadn’t ran at all in 2020 due to illness but I have done three 5k runs this week (along with changing my diet) purely to lose weight. Need to lose about two stone!!

When I do get into it and do say three 5k’s and one 10k a week I enjoy it but I always fall off the wagon at some point due to work, illness, cold weather, study, kids, etc...

But I do come back to it inevitably cause it’s the quickest and easiest way to cut calories out of your day.

I’ve been “running” since about 2010 for what it’s worth.

I also cycle nowadays (and really enjoy that) too because my joints are fooked from various sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

Caveat: Not running much anymore!

Do you run easy run EASY? What is easy anyway?
    Easy runs should be easy feeling. Easy runs should be run with good technique. That means hip and glute dominated. Simple enjoyable exercises can be done to activate hip/glutes before each run. The aggregate benefits to economy and injury prevention of doing all easy runs with good technique are very significant.

The pace of easy feeling runs will vary depending on the level of fatigue. During base building where efforts are largely aerobic, easy runs will be longer and potentially faster. Between harder workouts "easy feeling" will be slower.
    If very fatigued the speed/duration can be purposely reduced right down to become a recovery run.
    Some runners during base building run a lot runs at faster aerobic paces. These are "steady" runs not "easy" as they can't be sustained without being broken by a true easy or recovery run sooner or later.

Do you do S&C, Yoga, Foam rolling, bands, accessories?
    Not enough. As masters runner these are all necessary particularly strenght.
    Masters must also train strenght through more regular faster running putting in more force per stride. To achieve this masters may need shorter training cycles so the gaps between these faster periods are shorter. EG a masters marathon runner could convert the sessions of a short 1500m schedule with fast sessions into fartlek sessions "go through the motions of that schedule" as a filler between marathon buildups.

Do you run to compete?
    I used to. I did better in races in periods of diligent training where I "won" (completed well) more sessions than I lost. Also running a gear slower in sessions initially allows the body to get strong with good relaxed form. The pace and intensity then picks up naturally when the strenght to do so is there.
    Helps distance races, particularly second half.

Do you run to eat biscuits/drink wine?

Maybe ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Anyone else working from home and managing small kids and the schoolwork? Mrs Shotgun unfortunately has to go to work and my job could hardly be busier right now. Kids are kids, helping me out, understanding but demanding too. The home schooling is scheduled but skipping from work to gaeilge and maths to meals to work and back in a weird yo yo. Its tiring. You can't give 100% to both but can't also switch off from either to give 100%. I shut the lap top down for 2hrs a day to bring them for a walk and have a meal together. My daughter today did 210 jumping jacks beside me to hit her hourly steps goal! I meanwhile ate more chocolate, swallowing it down so the kids don't catch me.

If I wasn't getting out for a run most days... Its not just a hobby or a lifestyle at the moment. Its a basic need!

Advertisement