Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turbo trainer/rollers

Options
  • 06-01-2021 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭

Ok, said I’d never buy one as they go against what I love most about cycling, ie out in the fresh air and enjoying the scenery, but what with COVID lockdowns and two recent close calls with black ice (didn’t come off the bike but went sideways for a second or two which set the nerves on edge!), I’m looking at buying an indoor trainer to maintain my fitness while the cold weather (it’s the ice that bothers me, not the cold) and COVID distance restrictions put a crimp on my spins.

I’ve been researching online and I’m stumped about what to get. Prices vary from €170 to thousands depending on what is available. Plus I can’t understand how some trainers look like you take off the rear wheel and slot the through axel into a contraption while others appear to use the rear wheel. The latter option evidently wears out the rear tyre quite quickly from what I can understand.

I could be wrong, but indoor cycling will never light my fire. But losing my cycling fitness doesn’t appeal either. So can you give me some advice on a good trainer, will I need a rear wheel with dedicated training tyre, will rollers be a better option etc?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭lissard

The best overview of turbo trainers that I have read is here:
    https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2020/11/smart-cycle-trainer-recommendations-guide-winter.html/

I think that article addresses most of your questions. For what it's worth I went for a smart wheel on trainer (Wahoo Kickr Snap), put a cheap tyre on an old wheel and I was up and running.

Best of luck figuring out what suits you best. Just be aware, the main issue over the last year has been supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

D13exile wrote: »
    Ok, said I’d never buy one as they go against what I love most about cycling,

I could be wrong, but indoor cycling will never light my fire.

Then you just need a basic/dumb trainer to keep you tide over for the time being. Buy the one in Halfords and stick on a GCN training video on your laptop or phone and away you go.

FWIW, I have an old but reliable Tacx Sirius that I pull out and set up in less than five minutes. Many of the smart trainer options seem to be semi-permanent set-ups in the home or shed — not something I could get away with. This may also be a factor when considering what to buy.

BTW, you won't lose too much fitness even if you just do a few short sessions on the turbo — you'd be surprised how quickly you get back up to speed when back on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,278 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I've said on other threads that I feel the main problem people have with the turbo is set up, so unless you have the inclination to set up the space, buy the fans, maybe the devices/ entertainment, I wouldn't go smart to be honest.

If you're worried about tyre wear, a compromise between turbo and rollers might be Hybrid Rollers - Feedback Sports Omnium the most talked about. I have an earlier (less neat but cheaper) version of this. Mine has more resistance setting. This version is available on ProBikeKit (no idea how they're impacted by Brexit). I've successfully used it with TrainerRoad pre-WFH, with a power meter on the bike. But I think TrainerRoad do virtual power for the Omnium.

Anyway, it's much more natural feel on the bike than a turbo, doesn't impact tyre wear like a "wheel on" turbo, folds away neatly, and would be handy for warm ups/ travel if you have the need.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭D13exile

lissard wrote: »
    The best overview of turbo trainers that I have read is here:
    https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2020/11/smart-cycle-trainer-recommendations-guide-winter.html/

I think that article addresses most of your questions. For what it's worth I went for a smart wheel on trainer (Wahoo Kickr Snap), put a cheap tyre on an old wheel and I was up and running.

Best of luck figuring out what suits you best. Just be aware, the main issue over the last year has been supply.

Many thanks for that link. Extremely informative! Direct drive would be my preference tbh but naturally that’s more expensive. As I’m unsure if indoor training would be my thing, I’m hesitant to make that kind of financial commitment.

As for setting up a “semi permanent” indoor trainer and accompaniments, I have a converted garage where this would be possible. And as I’m happily divorced, zero knickers would be twisted if I were to set up an indoor training zone!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭koutoubia

Buy a set of rollers.
    They will help and improve your cadence/pedalling style and balance (not saying that you need to be improve those).
    Put on a You Tube of some racing and watch it.
    Do some different kind of cadence drills eg 5 mins at high cadence easy gear 5 mins Big gear low cadence. PLenty of suggestions online for drills to do.....or simply just sit and turn the legs for an hour while watching a race.
    You wont get bored on rollers 'cause you will fall off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

Other fitness in these times are important too.
    Body weight core excercise is useful to replace the indirect core workout you miss by not having hours in the bike (for example).

It's usually my upper body that goes to sh!t in these times and find it hardest to get back.

Rollers appear to be a cheaper solution for me at this point prior to making a decision on investing in a turbo trainer. However my main question is..........”Rollers and the falling off of them, thereof”. Is this a distinct possibility? Like most, I’ve clip in pedals and so I’d come down crashing hard if I were to lose balance on a roller. Would cycling in the hallway be a good idea with a roller set up as I’d have a wall on one side and the stair case on the other if I went off kilter? The rollers linked to above appear to be a step up from traditional rollers but are not available on any bike shop I’ve looked at so far.

km991148 wrote: »
    Other fitness in these times are important too.
    Body weight core excercise is useful to replace the indirect core workout you miss by not having hours in the bike (for example).

It's usually my upper body that goes to sh!t in these times and find it hardest to get back.

I agree with all this. I’ve gone back to using my sons’s weights to work on my upper body and I’m also continuing with my core exercises as recommended by my bike fitter. Still not the same as being out on the bike and finding a good well surfaced road to put the hammer down on!

Rollers appear to be a cheaper solution for me at this point prior to making a decision on investing in a turbo trainer. However my main question is..........”Rollers and the falling off of them, thereof”. Is this a distinct possibility? Like most, I’ve clip in pedals and so I’d come down crashing hard if I were to lose balance on a roller. Would cycling in the hallway be a good idea with a roller set up as I’d have a wall on one side and the stair case on the other if I went off kilter?
    I've never used them for that reason, but I've read to start off in a doorway, so a hall would work. I actually think there's smart rollers now, just to add that confusion :D

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I've never used them for that reason, but I've read to start off in a doorway, so a hall would work. I actually think there's smart rollers now, just to add that confusion :D

As if I’m not already confused enough as it is:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

I got myself a fairly simple Elite wheel on fluid trainer a few years ago. It works really well and is neat and easy to put away or leave out.

This year during the first lockdown I got myself a cadence and speed sensor (c. Eur60) which allows me to play on Zwift. You don't get the feedback from going up and down hills, but that doesn't bother me. I never found the YouTube sessions much fun!

It's a really simple set up which has been key for me to keep training or supplement my weekend rides during restricted months of lockdown, dark nights and bad weather.

Regarding rollers.
    Deffofor the first few sessions put them in a doorway as this will give you something to lean against /hold onto while your brain adjusts to the weirdness of whats happening.*
    Start off in a medium gear ie small ring and midway down the cassette.
    The key is to hit a rythym as quickly as possible and keep pedalling smoothly.Dont tense up and just lean on the bars.

Get your balance in the centre of the bike ,dont lean forward or dont lean back in the saddle.
    Focus your eyes just off the front wheel - not on the front wheel and let the front wheel do what it wants. It will move side to side but just guide it back. If you pull it back you will lose control.
    You will lose control but being in the doorway means you can put your shoulder onto the frame and not come off.
    Loosen your pedal release tension all the way off as if you panic and need to unclip you can.
    Put a towel on your handlebars and remember - KEEP PEDALLING!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

If you are buying a turbo trainer, try and pick up a dumb one second-hand - I have come across plenty of ads for turbo trainers (some of them very expensive) where the previous owner bought it, used a few times, and were so bored with it that they gave it up - so, hold off on buying a smart trainer until you have established that it's for you.

I have a turbo trainer (basic Tacx one) that I got for €30 a couple of years ago - think I used it once. Have a set of rollers that I was using the first lockdown - definitely a bit more dynamic and fun due to the need to keep your balance. Still quite boring... I used them for short sessions during lunchbreaks, could not hack anything longer than 20-30 mins. You'd work up a fierce sweat in that time.

I’ve decided to go with a set of rollers as they appear to more involving in that you have to concentrate and cycle or you’ll fall over. A turbo appears to me, to be like those static bikes in gyms that I hated. The likes of Zwift etc wouldn’t appeal to me as I’d rather put some loud rock music on when I’m cycling. Yet another advantage of being single:D

Now can I have a few recommendations for rollers please? Would second hand ones be an option or would I be buying someone else’s trouble as I’ve read the bearings can wear out on some models.

The likes of Zwift etc wouldn’t appeal to me as I’d rather put some loud rock music on when I’m cycling.
    erm, I do both. Well zwift and loud music. Whether it's rock, depends on mood!

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭pairofpears

I bought a Elite Zumo from Halfords last year for about €520 before discounts etc. and just use their app on my phone which is €22 a year subscription. If you are with Axa you get 10% off in Halfords so this along with a One4all voucher made my mind up for me.

I had one minor issue on setup that distance wasnt correct with speeds but with some help from their support and a reconfiguration of the setup it has worked fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭fat bloke

I'm a regular turbo user now for over ten years. I've always used basic trainers and got on fine. The last 2 years I've migrated to basic rollers and they're my go to trainer now, love 'em. I have access to a kickr in the gaff but I've never bothered. I'm happy to use what I have. I do an hour. Warm up, 4 or 5 x 8 mins at whatever intensities I'm up for on the day with either 2 or 4 mins recovery, again depending on how I'm feeling. I use Garmin pedals for power and cadence, although the last few months Ive just used a wheel speed sensor and fine on feel and that's working really well too. It helps having years of power training experience so I have a good idea of what my efforts are.
    It'll take a bit of work but if you can learn to put with, maybe even like, but eventually love, the turbo, you'll be set for life. And I've always said if you won't use a cheap turbo, then you won't use an expensive one either. So don't con yourself out of your own cash with that fallacy.

Now can I have a few recommendations for rollers please? Would second hand ones be an option or would I be buying someone else’s trouble as I’ve read the bearings can wear out on some models.

Tacx Antares or Galaxia.
    Getting a set new maybe a challenge but there is a set for sale on DD (Not mine)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I’ve decided to go with a set of rollers as they appear to more involving in that you have to concentrate and cycle or you’ll fall over. A turbo appears to me, to be like those static bikes in gyms that I hated. The likes of Zwift etc wouldn’t appeal to me as I’d rather put some loud rock music on when I’m cycling. Yet another advantage of being single:D

I've used tacx Antarres, tacx glaxia and some really old elite parabolic rollers.

The elite ones are my favourite as they have the most resistance.
    You can get away with more movement on the galaxia's, they're comfy, but they're harder to get up on.
    The antarres are a great, bog standard pair. I do find the bearings go in them real quick and they get really loud. Same drums and bearings in the galaxia's.

At the end of the day it's a much of a muchness, they're 3 drums on a frame, there's not a huge difference between them.
    That said I'd love a set of the metal Minoura rollers.

Rollers are great, good for your core and what you build on them translates onto the road.
    Get yourself a programme/have an aim for intervals or a session for each session.
    Start in a doorway, you'll get comfy on them in no time though.

Thanks a lot guys. At least today’s thread has clarified in my mind what way to go, ie the rollers. Now to decide which ones. The Antares and Galaxia appear to be quite common but there’s a few negative comments about the bearings going in them sooner rather than later. Bit of research to do tonight before I decide which ones. Might be back with another query or two later. Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Plastik

Just to chime in with my own 2c, I've Antares rollers here with the probably the best part of 8 years. Fairly infrequent user because as a full time commuter I (was) on the road every day regardless. But be warned with rollers, in my opinion, they're not the tool for doing a hard workout on because of the lack of resistance. Grand for a lot of other things, cadence, Z2, some tempo, warm ups, easier way to pass an hour etc., but you likely won't be doing any threshold or anaerobic stuff. As I type that I suppose it maybe depends on how strong you are. For me 300w+ was fairly unsustainable as the hip flexors would be burned off me.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Euppy

Thanks a lot guys. At least today’s thread has clarified in my mind what way to go, ie the rollers. Now to decide which ones. The Antares and Galaxia appear to be quite common but there’s a few negative comments about the bearings going in them sooner rather than later. Bit of research to do tonight before I decide which ones. Might be back with another query or two later. Thanks again.

Firstly, follow Koutoubia's advice about the door frame. You are like a kid learning to balance again, but as soon as you figure it out it is like a lightbulb/eureka moment!

My antares make a clicking noise due to the bearings. I have temporarily got them to stay in place and the noise is gone but they always eventually work their way loose again. It is more a mild annoiance than anything serious. The rollers continue to work perfectly and there is no long term damage. Just annoying hearing a constant knocking.

Also bear in mind that you will struggle to put out big watts on basic rollers. Great for a tempo spin but not great for interval work

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Easy let the learning curve put you off. I'm still fairly sh1te on them. Can't do and of that fancy standing up or no hands stuff, and I use em in a narrow shed so I can stop myself falling either side. But at least I can take one hand off the bars now to drink a bottle etc. For ages I couldn't even scratch my nose without wobbling out of control!

fat bloke wrote: »
    Easy let the learning curve put you off.
    Hence I've never got rollers :D

I like the switch off of erg mode on the smart turbo, and enjoy the outside entertainment (during endurance/ tempo workouts at least)

• Registered Users Posts: 15 RachEv

Hi
    I had a taxc booster for a few years and I never used it much as I found it cumbersome and boring.
    With the ongoing restrictions and club cycles cancelled, and races hopefully planned for the coming year, my partner and I bought a elite xr as each others christmas present but got it back in october and connected it to zwift. I find this so much better (I also blast out my own music when riding) and it has made me train more than before. I don't have a fan or anything fancy -you could argue that the trainer itself and zwift is fancy. I just use my laptop in front of the bike and position myself at the back door, which is nice and cool these days. Maybe when the weather picks up I'll get a fan but not needed for now. I really enjoy my zwift rides now which surprises me as doing outdoor training indoors never appealed to me but needs must.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,301 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

weathers due to warm up over the weekend :)

weathers due to warm up over the weekend :)

As a single father of four kids, getting the time to go out for a spin can be difficult sometimes when chores, school runs and working from home all have to be factored in. Now with the possibility of my children being at home for a long spell again, I don’t have the “free time” of being able to get in an hour or two out cycling when they were at school. So the added benefit of a home trainer means I can at least do some legwork at home while they study or late at night when they go to bed. Plus the endorphins from a hard session will dampen down any stress from us all being cooped up again for who knows how long.

I’ve found a few places with the Tacx Galaxia in stock. But I’m unsure if I should spend a bit extra and get an Elite roller as they “appear” (from the photos) to be more substantial and better built?

RachEv wrote: »
    Hi
    I had a taxc booster for a few years and I never used it much as I found it cumbersome and boring.
    With the ongoing restrictions and club cycles cancelled, and races hopefully planned for the coming year, my partner and I bought a elite xr as each others christmas present but got it back in october and connected it to zwift. I find this so much better (I also blast out my own music when riding) and it has made me train more than before. I don't have a fan or anything fancy -you could argue that the trainer itself and zwift is fancy. I just use my laptop in front of the bike and position myself at the back door, which is nice and cool these days. Maybe when the weather picks up I'll get a fan but not needed for now. I really enjoy my zwift rides now which surprises me as doing outdoor training indoors never appealed to me but needs must.

That trainer you have is waaaaaaaay out of my price bracket I’m afraid. Apart from Xmas pressies for my kids, three of them had birthdays in December as well (I know....bad timing on my part!:D) which is why my funds are depleted and I’m restricted to the lower end of the price bracket:o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

I agree with all this. I’ve gone back to using my sons’s weights to work on my upper body and I’m also continuing with my core exercises as recommended by my bike fitter. Still not the same as being out on the bike and finding a good well surfaced road to put the hammer down on!

It's not as fun, but the (few!) times I've stuck to a programme that covers while body/basic weights have led to some of my best cycling. Feeling a lot stronger and more stable on the bike and being really able to pull away fast (for me!) out of corners etc, even after a good bit of distance on the bike..

Typing this out has made me find a programme to follow now lol as I'm slipping into post Christmas lockdown lazy!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

As a single father of four kids, getting the time to go out for a spin can be difficult sometimes when chores, school runs and working from home all have to be factored in. Now with the possibility of my children being at home for a long spell again, I don’t have the “free time” of being able to get in an hour or two out cycling when they were at school. So the added benefit of a home trainer means I can at least do some legwork at home while they study or late at night when they go to bed. Plus the endorphins from a hard session will dampen down any stress from us all being cooped up again for who knows how long.

I’ve found a few places with the Tacx Galaxia in stock. But I’m unsure if I should spend a bit extra and get an Elite roller as they “appear” (from the photos) to be more substantial and better built?

Much of a muchness. They're such simple things there's not a huge amount to separate them.
    The bearings go and they get loud for the Galaxia's, but they're comfy to ride.
    My really old elite ones aren't roaring yet.

Advertisement