Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Condensation

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,648 ✭✭✭✭listermint

loyatemu wrote: »
    need to measure the humidity in the bedroom overnight and the temperature, but ultimately it will tell you what you already know, that the humidity is too high and that window and wall are too cold. Is the bed close to the window? Moisture from your breath could be drifting towards the window and condensing.

Also the weather is in low singles and under it.

I really think many people are noticing this stuff more now because they are home all days now and creating vastly more moisture than Jan 20 when they were out of the house for half the day.

Low temps and higher humidity means condensation. Only way to combat is to lower internal humidity. More ventilation or mechanical means. More ventilation is cheaper and easier. Windows opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,194 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

listermint wrote: »
    Also the weather is in low singles and under it.

I really think many people are noticing this stuff more now because they are hope all days now and creating vastly more moisture than Jan 20 when they were out of the house for half the day.

Low temps and higher humidity means condensation. Only way to combat is to lower internal humidity. More ventilation or mechanical means. More ventilation is cheaper and easier. Windows opening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saojnBSBUuk&ab_channel=Directors%3ATom%E1sO%27LearyandArtMcCormack

for a really good explanation

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 DoorParts

As door and window repair business, this is one of the most asked questions people have due to condensation on their window. There are several (repair) and (replacement) solutions for this, and of course, fitting a ventilation system in the affected room/s is an option, but we usually suggest customers understand what it is and basic treatments before drastic or expensive solutions.

Condensation is a type of damp that causes mold, and we all know that mold can cause not only physical health problems such as difficulty breathing but also structural problems in your home, it can cause unsightly patches on the walls and ceilings and cause the paper to peel away, mold can lead to moisture building up and causing condensation on your windows. The main cause of condensation is the lack of ventilation in your home, the more energy-efficient your home is the more humidity you have, which builds up and increases the humidity levels. It is a fact that your average family home will produce as much as 100 liters of moisture from just breathing, cooking, and showering.

So how can you reduce the condensation in your property? Do you have to constantly wipe your windows? is there constant condensation in the windows? then the only answer to this is to improve the quality of the air and ventilation in your home. **One of the major causes of condensation in Irish homes** is having the house walls pumped, this often occurs during the coldest time of the year, in essence trapping the dampness inside the house walls, no way for it to escape. Ensure that wall pumping is done in the summer and also ensure that your windows are up to date.

Below we list some tricks and tips to reduce condensation in your home in the short term.

1: Make sure all washing machines and driers are correctly vented.

2: One of the biggest culprits in the home for condensation is drying clothes indoors when the moisture from the clothes evaporates it gets trapped inside your home, if you need to dry clothes on clothes horses rads etc, make sure it is in the bathroom, and have the window open until they are fully dry. Where possible, try to dry your clothes outdoors to prevent excess moisture from building up in your property. If you are unable to dry your clothes outdoor then keep them in a bathroom with the door closed and windows open until the clothes are fully dry.

3: Ensure that your kitchen door is kept closed, this stops the moisture from dishes and kettles and cooking from going all over the house. condensation is made when the moisture hits the cold surfaces in your house. (do you have a Heat recovery and ventellation system fitted in your fitchen?)

4: Use an extractor fan when cooking and ensure that all pots and pans have their lids on them during cooking and especially simmering. Keep your extractor fan on for a little while after you finish cooking.

5: Ensure the extractor fans are working in your bathrooms and shower rooms, the condensation is caused when the warm steam hot the cold surfaces in the room.

6: Try to keep the use of gas heaters to a minimum in your home, they are a major cause of condensation in the home, and a health and safety hazard also.

7: Always wipe down surfaces when you are finished cooking or having a shower, this removes the moisture and prevents the growth of mold.

8: Ensure that your furniture is not up against the walls, this can cause moisture to be trapped behind the furniture and cause a build of spores and therefore mold.

9: If you are using a room a lot or there is a lot of people in any rooms, ensure that the window is open even just a small bit to allow for moisture from breathing to escape.

10: Installing an energy-efficient extractor fan in the kitchen and bathroom can improve the humidity levels and prevent condensation.

after these minor changes comes the more expensive ones, but these can make a huge difference.

Stay safe

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭mosii

Great post tks,can i ask will new windows reduce condensation?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭madalig12

Im getting a lot of wet on one side of my attic. Worried by how wet it is. Pic is too large gonna try shrink it.

• Advertisement

Here

• Registered Users Posts: 8,792 ✭✭✭CoBo55

madalig12 wrote: »
    Here

Crawl out as far as you can and see if you can find the soffit vents, chances are they've been blocked by the insulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 DoorParts

mosii wrote: »
    Great post tks,can i ask will new windows reduce condensation?

Not really, there are those that will tell you it will, but it's not the windows per se that will make the difference, its the glass, (i.ePilkington Anti-condensation Glass) or go for Triple glazing, id consider the Pilkinton first, this before even considering new windows, we sell those too, but I don't push the most expensive ideas first.

Do your research before making a big step like replacement windows,.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭mosii

DoorParts wrote: »
    Not really, there are those that will tell you it will, but it's not the windows per se that will make the difference, its the glass, (i.ePilkington Anti-condensation Glass) or go for Triple glazing, id consider the Pilkinton first, this before even considering new windows, we sell those too, but I don't push the most expensive ideas first.

Do your research before making a big step like replacement windows,.

Thank you for your help,:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

According to the specs of that device, running at 2 hours on the highest settings at the most expensive rate would cost you about 0.50 eur, VAT incl

Feeling dumb how do you work this out?

Device is 580 Watts at highest setting and highest price on link is 21.24 cent per kwh

Would it cost about 25 cent for two hours?

• Advertisement

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Crawl out as far as you can and see if you can find the soffit vents, chances are they've been blocked by the insulation.

Im pretty sure they are clear. I pulled some back a bit but will try get to the areas i couldnt get to this week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭newmember2

Device is 580 Watts at highest setting and highest price on link is 21.24 cent per kwh

Looks like 1000w hour is 21.24 so 580w hour x 2 = 1160w so maybe 23 cents?

Yea a kwh is 1000 (k) watts (w) for an hour (h)

So if your device is 100w and you run it for 10 hours you use 1 unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,771 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

and that's at the highest rate. Energia is currently 13c per kW/h (inc VAT).

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭hoanymole

Got this delivered today - https://www.meaco-dehumidifiers.ie/meaco-20l-low-energy-dehumidifier-with-hepa-filter/

Turned it on and the house has 73%rh upstairs.

Could be working for a while!

Advertisement