Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Condensation

Options
  • 06-01-2021 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

Hi we are having a problem with condensation in our upstairs bedrooms. The house is only five years old so I didn’t expect it. A few possible causes:

1. Shower room extractor fan may need replacing (but doubt this would have all the windows dripping each morning)

2. Six of us in the house so there is a lot of washing drying all the time. Although yesterday morning no washing out and still lots of condensation.

3. We don’t put the heat on upstairs as much.

Any suggestions that could help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭anacc

Are the vents on the windows closed?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Tails142

You need to increase air circulation with the outside air. Hi tech solutions would be mechanical type vents with heat recovery but most houses have just holes in the wall to the outside. Check these aren't blocked and are working.

Failing that just crack open the window for an hour or so each morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,194 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

You need to address the water vapour load created by 6 people and the associated activities that you described.
    You need to improve the controlled ventilation.
    My guess is the there is so much water vapour embedded in the building fabric that it will take a while to dry out.

The current cold snap just accentuates the issue but you all, and your activities are responsible, end of.
    Age of house irrelevant

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,055 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Open a window in the room you are doing the drying in.
    Also leave bedroom doors open during the day and ideal open a window in each begin for an hour or so.

Age of house irrelevant

Well not really, the newer the house the more air sealed it is likely to be.
    But agreed that once you have the issue, the basic solution is the same, irrespective of house age, however his you solve it will be different for an a rated house Vs a 1950s 9 inch cavity.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Vieira82

its a matter of air circulation. If you have vents on the windows then keep them open, otherwise if it happens overnight, open the windows in the morning, let the air circulate back into the room and close them once you see the condensation is gone. If it happens during the day it might be travelling from somewhere else in the house like you mentioned.

I lived in an apt. for 6 years in Cork and the vents on all windows where all open, I literally never had any condensation issue or mold. Moved to a house built in the 90s last year with no vents on windows and started having condensation overnight. So openning the window every morning to make the air move and avoid mold.

Hope this info helps :=)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,194 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

GreeBo wrote: »
    Well not really, the newer the house the more air sealed it is likely to be.
    But agreed that once you have the issue, the basic solution is the same, irrespective of house age, however his you solve it will be different for an a rated house Vs a 1950s 9 inch cavity.

Fair comment
    Wont argue, enough ('19 related) arguing going on everywhere I look/listen/read:D

I based it on this, guessing what he meant

The house is only five years old so I didn’t expect it

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,013 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Is there an opening window in the bathroom? If so, what type and how much does it open?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

Buy a cat, put cat on windowsill.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭hoanymole

Thanks everyone. Yes vents are open on the windows. I’ll open the windows each morning as suggested too. I think it’s the amount of laundry we do.

Would you recommend a dehumidifier?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,792 ✭✭✭CoBo55

hoanymole wrote: »
    Thanks everyone. Yes vents are open on the windows. I’ll open the windows each morning as suggested too. I think it’s the amount of laundry we do.

Yes, a dehumidifier is fantastic. I'm using a meaco it's fantastic it will make a huge difference.

hoanymole wrote: »

I'm using a EcoAir DD1 CLASSIC MK5 Desiccant Dehumidifier. The only annoyance is that the minimum time setting is two hours, so effectively it needs to be manually switched on and off as required or else it'll cost a euro every time you use it on high setting.

Also, if you're buying a clothes dryer get a condensing one as they emit much less moisture.

Lumen wrote: »
    I'm using a EcoAir DD1 CLASSIC MK5 Desiccant Dehumidifier. The only annoyance is that the minimum time setting is two hours, so effectively it needs to be manually switched on and off as required or else it'll cost a euro every time you use it on high setting.

Also, if you're buying a clothes dryer get a condensing one as they emit much less moisture.

It cant be that hard on juice?
    or do you have an expensive rate!!!

According to the specs of that device, running at 2 hours on the highest settings at the most expensive rate would cost you about 0.50 eur, VAT incl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

TheW1zard wrote: »
    Buy a cat, put cat on windowsill.

Does he not just then have a pissed of cat and condensation?

According to the specs of that device, running at 2 hours on the highest settings at the most expensive rate would cost you about 0.50 eur, VAT incl

I measured the power draw using a smart plug.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭mosii

I have the same problem, i have vents in the rooms all open.5 in my house, drying clothes inside is a bad idea, but mainly hot air inside ,hitting cold air on glass is what does it, and i cant stop it. I would like to know a solution as well. I bought a karcher window vac, which makes it easy to suck the condensation in the mornings, but i would love to stop the problem as well.

begbysback wrote: »
    Does he not just then have a pissed of cat and condensation?

Have you never seen a cat lick condensation off a window? It's delightful.

My cat will only take on water from windows and running taps. She refuses to drink out of a bowl.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,648 ✭✭✭✭listermint

mosii wrote: »
    I have the same problem, i have vents in the rooms all open.5 in my house, drying clothes inside is a bad idea, but mainly hot air inside ,hitting cold air on glass is what does it, and i cant stop it. I would like to know a solution as well. I bought a karcher window vac, which makes it easy to suck the condensation in the mornings, but i would love to stop the problem as well.

You can stop the problem by all moving out :)

But honestly the current cold snap will enhance the visibility of this issue. It's purely moisture related people and their activities create moisture.

If you got a humidity sensor you might find your house is over 60 percent moisture . Most buildings should be below 50 percent.

Permanent solutions involve better ventilation measured be they passive or mechanical. Quicker short term fixes are opening all windows upstairs halfway for 30 mins in the morning then closing them afterwards. And cracking windows open during activities such as cooking and showering .

Also open the doors on rooms to allow airflow.

Can you not just use a regular socket timer like when going on holidays for the lights?

+1 on condensing dryer

• Advertisement

GreeBo wrote: »
    Can you not just use a regular socket timer like when going on holidays for the lights?
    The problem with many appliances these days (include my dehumidifier) is that they don't come on when electricity is supplied, so when you add a timer socket they'll switch off OK but when the plug turns on they just sit there doing nothing until you press a button.

This means when shopping you need to buy either a device which has all the smart stuff integrated, or is incredibly dumb.

So with my timer and thermostatically controlled heater I used the cheapest one in Powercity which was dumb enough to just come on when power is supplied.

listermint wrote: »
    You can stop the problem by all moving out :)

But honestly the current cold snap will enhance the visibility of this issue. It's purely moisture related people and their activities create moisture.

If you got a humidity sensor you might find your house is over 60 percent moisture . Most buildings should be below 50 percent.

Permanent solutions involve better ventilation measured be they passive or mechanical. Quicker short term fixes are opening all windows upstairs halfway for 30 mins in the morning then closing them afterwards. And cracking windows open during activities such as cooking and showering .

Also open the doors on rooms to allow airflow.
    Tried all above,still get condensation on windows in the morning.

You can play around with an RH calculator to understand this issue.

e.g. https://www.rotronic.com/en/humidity_measurement-feuchtemessung-mesure_de_l_humidite/humidity-calculator-feuchterechner-mr

So

70% RH at 20C inside gives a dew point of 14C.
    50% RH at 20C inside gives a dew point of 4C.
    30% RH at 20C inside gives a dew point of 2C.

This means, for instance, that with 20C indoor temp and 70% relative humidity, if the inner surface of the glass is any colder than 14C, you will get condensation on it.

If you have this problem with double or triple glazing then either your windows are knackered or your humidity is through the roof.

How old are your windows.....

20 yrs double glazing.:cool:

20 yrs double glazing.:cool:

They may be sans performance then. The glass can lose its effectiveness if the gas degrades or is lost.

Still though if you've 5 people all day during lockdown may have to crack a window for longer or resort to dehumidifiers.

Thanks ,
    Would triple glazing sort out the problem?:(

Thanks ,
    Would triple glazing sort out the problem?:(

Or new double glazing. But bear in mind that window condensation can be pretty harmless, or even positive, because the glass is acting like a dehumidifier. My single-glazed windows have drain holes in the frames so the water just runs out, that's how they were designed.

If you warm up the glass but the humidity remains high, it may just condense on the inner face of the external wall, which is MUCH WORSE because you may get black mould growth (which you don't get on glass).

So you need to understand what you're dealing with.

Thanks for time and effort,i am getting used to it now.:confused:

• Advertisement

To keep it simple....

Wet air + cold surfaces = bad.
    Dry air + warm surfaces = good.
    Ventilation = good.
    Heating = good.

Advertisement