Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battles with a water heater

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Also as night rate the cost is so much cheaper so as you have that you should try use washing, dishwasher machines after 11pm and dryer if you have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

brlin17 wrote: »
    I was wondering that when I was reading about how the water heater worked...but then suddenly we got a bit of heated water yesterday. This now is making me think I had just judged all the timescales wrong (e.g. that boosts of 15-30 minutes are useless and I always need to heat for at least an hour before doing anything).

Boost is only to top up a hot tank done already on night rate.

If you can do without boost you will save a fortune.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,206 ✭✭✭ongarite

That's an Economy 7 timer for use with cheap overnight electricity rates.
    Set the timer for 2am to 5am and you will have plenty of hot water for the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 brlin17

ok, so here's the update after last night's 'experiments':

- set the timer for 5:00-8:00 heating - when we woke up and tried the water, still ice cold
    - tried the boost set to 120 minutes - after pushing the button and waiting an hour, had my *first* hot shower in Ireland! :)
    - when the boost is on and heating, I hear a little noise in the tank. I've never heard this noise with timer-heating, even though the timer does switch on at the set time (light comes on)

so would you all buy the idea that there's something off with the connection between the timer and the immersion heater, but not for the boost? e.g. the clamp for the 'Time on Load' cable not being clamped properly?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Given there is two elements and there appears to be no sink/bath switch. I would think the top element is the boost element and the bottom one is the timer element, the idea being you heat the whole tank during night for cheap and then if needed during the day can heat a small portion with the boost.
    So it could be possible there is an issue with the bottom element or the wiring to it in some way or how the timer bit is setup.

Whatever it is I'd go back to the landlord and explain it is not working and get them to fix.
    At least with the boost you can have a hot shower while you still have to isolate. I would have thought 30 min should give enough for a shower.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 brlin17

cruizer101 wrote: »
    Given there is two elements and there appears to be no sink/bath switch. I would think the top element is the boost element and the bottom one is the timer element, the idea being you heat the whole tank during night for cheap and then if needed during the day can heat a small portion with the boost.
    So it could be possible there is an issue with the bottom element or the wiring to it in some way or how the timer bit is setup.
    gotcha, thanks - there's also a small leak at one of the taps, so I'm getting the impression maybe they slapped this all together quite quickly... This is what we get for having to rent an apartment from afar in these weird times!
    cruizer101 wrote: »
    Whatever it is I'd go back to the landlord and explain it is not working and get them to fix.
    At least with the boost you can have a hot shower while you still have to isolate. I would have thought 30 min should give enough for a shower.
    thanks - yeah, haven't played with the length of time needed for adequate hot water yet, these are the next experiments :)

Advertisement