Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Retailers that ship from UK

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭ei9go

MAXFANTANA wrote: »
    Yeah I’m interested in purchasing something on screw fix. It’s an EV charging cable costing €180, worst case how much could I get done for?

Ordered from Screwfix on 2nd Jan, despatched on the 4th Jan, last tracking 8th Jan. Arrived this morning 20th Jan.
    Sent by Royal Mail and delivered by GLS

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭SparrowHawk

Similar to myself. Order arrived today. Parcelforce tracking still says exporting from Uk

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭shoegirl

Next clothing ships from stores here.
    M&S I think ships from UK - but you may be able to click and collect from one of the supermarkets which are still open.

Others - not sure. Assume Argos shipping from UK, and many online stores appear to be still unsure where their .ie site actually ships from.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭YourName

Just ordered from Screwfix but noticed they charged me 21% VAT (Irish VAT rate) and not 20% (UK VAT Rate), hoping this suggests that they are now looking after the VAT, will wait and see what happens when it arrives and if there is a customs declaration on the box etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭feelings

Ok, I've confirmed SportsDirect (irish site) charge in GBP, even though the website displays amounts in EUR including the order summary/detail.

So while you expect a EUR value to be taken from your card, it will be the GBP value. So the EUR price will be based on your payment method exchange rate.

I hadn't noticed this with previous orders, so unsure if this is due to Brexit. Good to know and I'll be shopping elsewhere for now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 OctoberWitch

Anyone know the situation with the Apple Store. I know some stuff is shipped from UK. I bought a wireless charger before Christmas with them and it came from UK.

However want to but an Apple Watch as a gift and don't want to be hit with huge customs etc charges
    The online shop has a much better range than likes of
    DID, HN etc

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Apple Store is registered in Ireland. No extra charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

Hi All,

maybe an interesting situation....

have ordered an item from Screwfix.ie website - total value inc. VAT €52.95. Have now received an email from Parcelforce with a tracking number - so being dispacthed from UK. No mention on the .ie website of import charges etc. or that it was being imported from UK.

Has any else come across this?

thanks in advance,

SparrowHawk

Zing, must be the same pair of safety boots that I ordered this week :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

I ordered a heater from Screwfix.ie, costing just over €100, on 19 Jan.

Like most in this thread, I got a notification saying it had shipped from the UK. I had bought from Screwfix.ie, being Screwfix Direct (Ireland) Limited, registered in Ireland and with an Irish VAT number.

I queried this on their Twitter, and they confirmed "Screwfix Ireland is an Irish company" but the order ships from UK. They said I will "incurr no additional fees due to customers or anything else."

The order shipped from the UK on 20 Jan, last being scanned as "Exported from the UK" that evening. No further scans sit.

Suppose we sit and wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Major Dad

Screwfix have been a complete disaster, in my opinion. I ordered a small radiator (cost EUR35, delivery charge EUR5) from what I presumed was the Irish site on Dec 30th and my confirmation e-mail said “1 to 2 working days for delivery”. But the order was actually routed through and processed by the UK site. I still haven’t received it. I’ve e-mailed them three times, and to be fair they’ve responded each time within 24 hours from a Screwfix.ie e-mail address. They claim the radiator was delivered to their courier (GFS) who are having problems clearing a backlog caused by Brexit. I asked them to cancel my order and refund my money, because they can’t tell when or if my order will be delivered. They say they won’t refund me because the order has been processed. GFS tracker last updated on Jan 8th - nothing since then. Anyone know what my rights are in a situation like this? Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭thebiglad

shoegirl wrote: »
    M&S I think ships from UK - but you may be able to click and collect from one of the supermarkets which are still open.

Click and collect not currently an option but just received a delivery from M&S - slower than days of old, 2 weeks from order but received on day promised via An Post and no additional charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Ordered something from Littlewoods Ireland. Stuck in the UK someplace since the 8th. Supposed to be delivered by Fastway by the 13th. Got an email saying delayed on that day. Spoke to their customer service who didn’t really help but said they’d email the courier and come back to me. They haven’t but no surprise. Wasn’t in a rush for it but time to chase for a refund next week....

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭feelings

More to this. Ordered arrived and the invoice is in EUR and VAT is Irish, so why did they charge me a GBP amount, rather than the EUR amount on the invoice. :confused:
    feelings wrote: »
    Ok, I've confirmed SportsDirect (irish site) charge in GBP, even though the website displays amounts in EUR including the order summary/detail.

So while you expect a EUR value to be taken from your card, it will be the GBP value. So the EUR price will be based on your payment method exchange rate.

I hadn't noticed this with previous orders, so unsure if this is due to Brexit. Good to know and I'll be shopping elsewhere for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

feelings wrote: »
    More to this. Ordered arrived and the invoice is in EUR and VAT is Irish, so why did they charge me a GBP amount, rather than the EUR amount on the invoice. :confused:

Are you using a Revolut card? When I use my Revolut card with PayPal, it forces the currency to GBP, even if the payment is in Euro.

Gadgie wrote: »
    Are you using a Revolut card? When I use my Revolut card with PayPal, it forces the currency to GBP, even if the payment is in Euro.

had the same thing happen me yesterday, got caught for €8,
    used paypal setup with revolut card to purchase from Germany, went thru the checkout without really paying attention,
    so i presume i missed something. contacted revolut and they said it was paypal problem, their support person said.

Upon checking here what happened was there is double conversion.

First, the merchant (Paypal) did charge you in EUR but they charge you in GBP (144.72 GBP) and second, revolut convert it to EUR (163.34 EUR) since you don't have balance in GBP.
    This is a common issue with Paypal as they have their own conversion as well which is why customers need to make sure the currency conversion is made by the card issuer (us, Revolut).
    I'm afraid that nothing we can do here as well but you can please try to check with Paypal and change the currency conversion option.
    To change the currency conversion option while using PayPal to pay, please select to make the payment with your Revolut card - you will see the card type and the last 4 digits of your card.

Then click “View currency conversion options” and select the currency listed on the seller's invoice.
    You will see the message in red: “Your card issued will determine the currency conversion rate and what fees they may charge. Check your statement for the final amount”.
    It might sound scary, but this is what you want, so do not worry!
    Click “Pay in X” (where X is the currency of the seller) button, you will see one amount on the final screen in two places, you can confirm it by clicking “Pay now”.
    All done! You shall see the same amount paid on your Revolut’s transaction history if the payment was successful."

must be common as this was just a copy/paste answer.

Pen Rua wrote: »
    I ordered a heater from Screwfix.ie, costing just over €100, on 19 Jan.

Like most in this thread, I got a notification saying it had shipped from the UK. I had bought from Screwfix.ie, being Screwfix Direct (Ireland) Limited, registered in Ireland and with an Irish VAT number.

I queried this on their Twitter, and they confirmed "Screwfix Ireland is an Irish company" but the order ships from UK. They said I will "incurr no additional fees due to customers or anything else."

The order shipped from the UK on 20 Jan, last being scanned as "Exported from the UK" that evening. No further scans sit.

Suppose we sit and wait.

The package was scanned in Ireland on 25 Jan but hasn't moved since. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Springwell

Screwfix are a disaster currently sadly - ordered a drill and few other things on Jan 11. Tracking seemed to be ok to start with then we had the daily repeats of "sorted" and "exported from the uk" after customs cleared. Exported 8 times apparently...Finally an update on 25th that it was in Republic of Ireland at a customs centre. Then nothing until a delivered notice popped up. Signed for by "Screwfix Returns" :rolleyes: They eventually refunded me! Found a similar drill in Woodies but paid an extra €50

Springwell wrote: »
    Screwfix are a disaster currently sadly - ordered a drill and few other things on Jan 11. Tracking seemed to be ok to start with then we had the daily repeats of "sorted" and "exported from the uk" after customs cleared. Exported 8 times apparently...Finally an update on 25th that it was in Republic of Ireland at a customs centre. Then nothing until a delivered notice popped up. Signed for by "Screwfix Returns" :rolleyes: They eventually refunded me! Found a similar drill in Woodies but paid an extra €50

I have an ordered outstanding with them as does my Dad. We’re both waiting for an age. I paid via PayPal so think I have some recourse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Sup08

So I hope this is the right thread for this query.

I want to buy a deal from one of the usual deal/coupon sites with discounts (pigsback.com) and they have an Irish site.
    To make sure what the import policy was for items shipped from the UK was, I sent a query to them and in fairness they responded almost immediately with the following?
    Thank you for contacting us. I hope you and yours are well.

All sellers on our platform have confirmed that they've taken all the steps necessary to become Brexit ready.
    This means that no extra or surprise charges should occur due to customs or import fees.

Should you be asked to pay any Import or Custom Charges, please let us know and we will assist with contacting the seller regarding this issue.

Do you believe that all these small suppliers in the UK would be Irish Vat compliant or registered?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Troy McClure

We are looking at ordering from this website blinds2go.ie
    On the website it says they are in Nothingham. We called them to ask, as they have a .ie website are they aware of the implications post brexit for their Irish customers.

They are adamant there wont be extra customs costs/ Vat fees this side. They have checked this twice for us and insist this is the situation. Is there something special about courtains I am missing?

Can I ask is there anyone who has dealt with them since Jan 1st to verify this?

If they are telling you, then thats the best information you’ll get. They haven’t been mentioned here before.

whiterebel wrote: »
    If they are telling you, then thats the best information you’ll get. They haven’t been mentioned here before.

The have a .ie website but they are not an Irish retailer. No offices here. A Dublin phone number that goes through to the UK.
    It seems to fly in the face of what I reading elsewhere and they may not be correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

The have a .ie website but they are not an Irish retailer. No offices here. A Dublin phone number that goes through to the UK.
    It seems to fly in the face of what I reading elsewhere and they may not be correct.

They may be paying the import fees to their courier, so no extra cost to you.

Order and find out. If the courier asks for customs fees, refuse delivery.

I have an ordered outstanding with them as does my Dad. We’re both waiting for an age. I paid via PayPal so think I have some recourse.

Still no movement on my order, which arrived into Ireland on 25 Jan. Not sure at what point do I give up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

Still no movement on my order, which arrived into Ireland on 25 Jan. Not sure at what point do I give up.

Get onto them, get a refund and then maybe do a click and collect for the same items?

davo2001 wrote: »
    Get onto them, get a refund and then maybe do a click and collect for the same items?

There's none in Cork and I have no vehicle so I'm stuck. Ah well.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Tig98

More of a buyer beware than anything else.

Ordered over a week ago and tracked my package to see it is stuck in England. Very annoying as the website says "4 day delivery, no delays as we ship from the EU". Got onto support and they said if stock is low in EU warehouses they ship from the UK instead. Trollop, really.

• Advertisement

Gadgie wrote: »
    They may be paying the import fees to their courier, so no extra cost to you.

Order and find out. If the courier asks for customs fees, refuse delivery.

These are not off the shelf items but are custom made to order, so not sure that might work and might have a problem demanding a refund.

I was hoping to find someone who has experience with them over the last month.

Advertisement