Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tales from the Glue Factory

Options
  • 03-01-2021 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭

I've decided to discontinue my previous log. A lot has changed since those days. Lots of water under the bridge and just wanted to start afresh.

To be honest, I had so much going on over the past year that the logging took a complete back seat. Hopefully I can do a better job at maintaining this one. I will certainly do my best.

For those that don't know me I'm Male, 39. I've been around these parts since 2017. Around that time I had my first child and later that year started working with Ecoli/Testosterscone/KSU as my coach. What came from that was a 2018 filled with gains and improvements across all distances. Two most notables were 36.05 in Ennis 10k (measured short on my garmin so to this day I'm still sceptical of that pb) and one I'm most proud of was a 1.19.52 in Charleville.

What followed was a rough few months personally which culminated in the body giving up on me and spent a good few weeks injured and going into 2019 with a loss of momentum.
    In early 2019 I flew solo for a while and the highlight result of that was a 36.2x in Dunshaughlin (a really great race with wonderful tradition) . But my training wasn't smart. Always on the aggressive side. Enthusiasm always gets the better of me. Again, picked up an injury and struggling for the second half of 2019. Another year ending in a loss of momentum. Mostly down to overuse (hip flexor/quad issues).

Early in 2020 I made the wise move of going back to being coached by KSU. One thing I have learned for sure is that his style of coaching suits me as a runner. Plenty to elaborate there but might save that for a separate post if people are interested. Ironically, in what was probably my most stressful of years between having now two young kids and a stressful job project managing several projects in a global pandemic, it was one of my better years of running. Ended the year in really solid shape. A year spent mostly aerobic base building. And taking momentum into 2021 which makes a big difference.

So what's changed/remained the same since my last log;
    1. I'm now running 7 days a week. Somewhere around 7hrs30 to 8hrs running per week. Just shy of 60 miles per week.
    2. Two sessions, one long run, four easy. Two sets of strides per week.
    3. No weights/yoga/strength and conditioning. I just don't have the time these days.
    4. Work/life balance has always been the challenge. It will continue to be. It's not easy doing the job that I do, training seven days a week and worrying about two young kids in a global pandemic. Luckily my wife is a great mum and takes a lot of the burden while I work.
    5. Diet and nutrition continues to be the thing holding me back. Off the booze for at least January. Need to cut back on the treats which all too often were a crutch last year amidst the stress of Covid.
    6. Last year was mostly base building. No race specific stuff. Loved the training and loved the enthusiasm I had for it. Most recent TT was a 29.18 5M which felt great.
    7. Heavily invested in runners last year. My easy run shoes are infinity react, pegasus 34. Easy long run shoe is pegasus 36. Long session shoe is adios 5. Shorter session shoes are zoomfly flyknit and adios 3. Race shoes are 4%, Adidas sub 2 and endorphin pro. Then I have others which I haven't figured out a place for yet like Boston 8.

I can't promise I'll be able to dedicate the time to keep this going but like i said, I'll do my best.

Week of Dec 28th to Jan 3rd
    Monday - Easy 14M
    Tuesday - Easy 7M
    Wednesday - Easy 7M with strides
    Thursday - 6x1200m (2min) at 6.00min/mile + 3min Jog +4x 60s Hard (60s)
    Friday - Very easy
    Saturday - Easy 7M with strides
    Sunday - 2M WU + 10k MP tempo + CD

Nothing to really note about the easy runs apart from Friday which was a severely hungover run where you question if you've lost every bit of improvement you made in the past year. Turns out I haven't. Lol.

Two very different sessions. The Thursday one was a tough one at the conservative end of CV/10k effort. To be honest I didn't force the pace. Its something I've learned not to do anymore. Most splits were closer to 6.05. Its how I felt in the day. I certainly didn't want to force the issue and turn the session into something it shouldn't be. This should be hard but not flogged hard.

The Sunday session was very enjoyable. A full on 10k Tempo session at "tempo pace". Nice smooth running. Very controlled. Not easy but not threshold. A high end aerobic session. The kind that gives you confidence.

62 miles for the week. As a friend pointed out to me this evening I was 200m from recording my first ever 100k week. Bit gutted with that as I shortened my cool down to get home but won't be chasing miles.

Target for the year is to go higher than 2800 miles and go somewhere in the 355ish total days running range. I won't force that though. If rest days are needed they will be taken.
    No specific race targets for the year. I have enjoyed doing a few pacing gigs. I plan on pacing a buddy of mine for his 10M TT in Feb if restrictions allow it. Other than that, plans will need to be discussed with the bossman. To be honest I wouldn't be against another year like 2020 if I thought it was the best route forward. Those who know from previous know I'm into long term goals over several years. I'm very much of the mindset that year on year on year consistency is where the gains are made and I'm not interested in forcing the issue to chase short term times. I don't really miss racing. In fact I think it's been the opposite for me in that I've benefited from not having the distraction.

Oh and for those of you that don't know it I mostly focus on 10k (dipping into 5k and HM) and have never ran a marathon. Although it's only a matter of time. Seems to be the way all the old lads go when they can't keep up with the young ones anymore. Haha.

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Welcome to logs, again. Pretty similar situation. The job pretty much the same, the 2 small kids, the niggles. Main differences, you are coached and you are fast. Hope we get to run together in 21. Happy you are logging P.

What time are ye going for in that 10m TT?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Welcome to logs, again. Pretty similar situation. The job pretty much the same, the 2 small kids, the niggles. Main differences, you are coached and you are fast. Hope we get to run together in 21. Happy you are logging P.

What time are ye going for in that 10m TT?

Good question. My mate isn't as quick as me....... yet. I expect he'll probably be targeting 65mins? I haven't actually discussed it with him yet. So much can happen in the next month or two I reckoned we'll see where we're are at come Feb.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Surprised to see this, did you get permission??

Best of luck with the new log P, keep it updated as regularly as you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭BeginnerRunner

"Early in 2020 I made the wise move of going back to being coached by KSU. One thing I have learned for sure is that his style of coaching suits me as a runner. Plenty to elaborate there but might save that for a separate post if people are interested. "

Oh yes!! Please elaborate. Am looking forward to this :)

OOnegative wrote: »
    Surprised to see this, did you get permission??

Best of luck with the new log P, keep it updated as regularly as you can.

I just have to run my updates by her first . :D:D:D

• Advertisement

"Early in 2020 I made the wise move of going back to being coached by KSU. One thing I have learned for sure is that his style of coaching suits me as a runner. Plenty to elaborate there but might save that for a separate post if people are interested. "

Oh yes!! Please elaborate. Am looking forward to this :)

Yeah no problem. There's a number of factors really. I should note that I'm not sure how much his coaching style alters for each of his athletes. I can only speak to his style with me, more specifically since we rejoined forces last year! Hopefully he doesn't mind me speaking about this on here but I figure it might give some food for thought for people currently being coached or considering it.

1. Very sensible approach targeting long term consistency rather than short term aggressive gains. Any time I've gone aggressive (self trained) I've been injured.

2. Usually erring on the conservative side of pace ranges meaning I dont force my sessions. One of the best lessons i've learned is to feel the session rather than chase the watch. I didn't learn that by accident. Its partly down to coaching and also down to self awareness of my style as a runner. I need to feel the effort rather than know the data.

3. The style of the sessions is different to what you'll see a lot of people doing. The focus is on maintaining form throughout, so more often than not you'll see sessions split into segments rather than long continuous runs. For example its rare id run 40mins at LT as form would start to go and effort level/HR would start to drift meaning its no longer LT. That's just one example. I rarely, if ever, feel flogged at the end of a session.

4. Takes into account my own physiology, injury history, lifestyle/stresses and adjusts training accordingly. For example, you wont have seen me run many hill sessions this past year due to my lower cross issues in the past. You'll also see training scaled back slightly when work/life ramps. I've never been good at doing that myself when self trained.

5. The style of the sessions really suits me. I follow a lot of logs and I havent often seen a training style/plan that I would prefer.

6. Builds volume/intensity slowly. Something I cant seem to do right myself.

7. Values the aerobic base building highly. I have underestimated that when self trained. The past year has showed me you can make massive gains by having a focus on a big base building block. You'll see Duanington following a similar approach currently in his log.

Thats the jist of the main things I can think of at the moment.

Yeah no problem. There's a number of factors really. I should note that I'm not sure how much his coaching style alters for each of his athletes. I can only speak to his style with me, more specifically since we rejoined forces last year! Hopefully he doesn't mind me speaking about this on here but I figure it might give some food for thought for people currently being coached or considering it.

1. Very sensible approach targeting long term consistency rather than short term aggressive gains. Any time I've gone aggressive (self trained) I've been injured.

2. Usually erring on the conservative side of pace ranges meaning I dont force my sessions. One of the best lessons i've learned is to feel the session rather than chase the watch. I didn't learn that by accident. Its partly down to coaching and also down to self awareness of my style as a runner. I need to feel the effort rather than know the data.

3. The style of the sessions is different to what you'll see a lot of people doing. The focus is on maintaining form throughout, so more often than not you'll see sessions split into segments rather than long continuous runs. For example its rare id run 40mins at LT as form would start to go and effort level/HR would start to drift meaning its no longer LT. That's just one example. I rarely, if ever, feel flogged at the end of a session.

4. Takes into account my own physiology, injury history, lifestyle/stresses and adjusts training accordingly. For example, you wont have seen me run many hill sessions this past year due to my lower cross issues in the past. You'll also see training scaled back slightly when work/life ramps. I've never been good at doing that myself when self trained.

5. The style of the sessions really suits me. I follow a lot of logs and I havent often seen a training style/plan that I would prefer.

7. Values the aerobic base building highly. I have underestimated that when self trained. The past year has showed me you can make massive gains by having a focus on a big base building block. You'll see Duanington following a similar approach currently in his log.

100% +1 to this, I had a very similar approach when under the wing of the young fella.

That's amazing. Thanks for sharing. You should probably get a cut of any sales you generate off that post!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Let's say we in a situation where all races are on in the final 3rd of the year. Do you think the Marathon could be an autumn 2021 goer for you?

You will have the best part of a really solid 2 years of base. You would be in perfect shape to switch to a KSU planned marathon training and make hay while the sun shines etc . Just throwing it out there :)

Let's say we in a situation where all races are on in the final 3rd of the year. Do you think the Marathon could be an autumn 2021 goer for you?

You will have the best part of a really solid 2 years of base. You would be in perfect shape to switch to a KSU planned marathon training and make hay while the sun shines etc . Just throwing it out there :)

Yeah its a fair question. I think it would depend on a few factors at the time.

Whether work/life balance is ok.

What the racing landscape looks like. A socially distanced marathon isnt all that different to a TT for me in terms of motivation. Maybe I'm being naive there.

I tend not to do well when I have a big target in mind. Its just how I'm wired. It ends up adding to work/life stresses. I've always struggled balancing a stressful job, parenting two kids under three, training etc. Its a hard one to explain but part of the reason I've done so well this past year is that there was no races to think about. It was completely taken out of my hands and I could just tip away and trust the process. I'm very driven when it comes to doing well at what I do whether it be running/work/parenting. I just know a marathon target will really take a lot of my energy and focus so I need to be in a good place mentally to give it my all. Sorry if that sounds OTT, it just seems to be the way I'm wired. Again, maybe im being naive and marathon training wouldn't be all that different to what I'm doing now.

So thats my long winded answer to your very simple question :D

I was considering targeting a marathon before Covid kicked in but we all get crazy notions and plans when we're returning from injury. My fear back then was if I dont do it now then I'll get injured again and never bloody do one. Then I went back to being coached and those fears have gone.

Long term my dream is still low 30's for the 10k rather than a good marathon.......but that could change

• Advertisement

I tend not to do well when I have a big target in mind. Its just how I'm wired. It ends up adding to work/life stresses. I've always struggled balancing a stressful job, parenting two kids under three, training etc. Its a hard one to explain but part of the reason I've done so well this past year is that there was no races to think about. It was completely taken out of my hands and I could just tip away and trust the process. I'm very driven when it comes to doing well at what I do whether it be running/work/parenting. I just know a marathon target will really take a lot of my energy and focus so I need to be in a good place mentally to give it my all. Sorry if that sounds OTT, it just seems to be the way I'm wired. Again, maybe im being naive and marathon training wouldn't be all that different to what I'm doing now.

1,000,000%

I was the exact same when lifting competitively. Enjoy the training much more than the competing.

Never got anything other than burned out, stressed and injured from comp prep cycles.

1,000,000%

I was the exact same when lifting competitively. Enjoy the training much more than the competing.

Never got anything other than burned out, stressed and injured from comp prep cycles.

That being said, my best result racewise was a targeted Charleville HM. But in hindsight I was a ball of stress in many ways, not just related to running.

Im not sure I would have handled 2020 as well as I did if i had been racing + working + parenting. Some people take a lot of this stuff in their stride. Unfortunately I'm not one of those people!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

That being said, my best result racewise was a targeted Charleville HM. But in hindsight I was a ball of stress in many ways, not just related to running.

Im not sure I would have handled 2020 as well as I did if i had been racing + working + parenting. Some people take a lot of this stuff in their stride. Unfortunately I'm not one of those people!

I get what you are saying completely, it is all a balancing act & everyone is doing it their way, finding what works best for them!

Have you just never fancied running a marathon? Would you feel pressure with picking a target? Maybe just giving the training a go & not having the pressure of a target would suit you better? Obviously when we decide to race we have an idea in our heads of what we think we should run, there doesn't need to be constant pressure put on yourself, but absolutely nothing wrong with it just not being a distance for you.

I get what you are saying completely, it is all a balancing act & everyone is doing it their way, finding what works best for them!

Have you just never fancied running a marathon? Would you feel pressure with picking a target? Maybe just giving the training a go & not having the pressure of a target would suit you better? Obviously when we decide to race we have an idea in our heads of what we think we should run, there doesn't need to be constant pressure put on yourself, but absolutely nothing wrong with it just not being a distance for you.

I think when I eventually bite the bullet and run one I'll realise that it was exactly the distance for me.

I have been more geared towards the shorter stuff for a few reasons;
    1. I used to be fascinated by the 5k/10k races at the major events like Olympics/World Championships. Me and my Dad loved them. They were always the huge draw for me.
    2. I always felt like the shorter races were special in that my wife and little girl could come support and it was all done and dusted in <40mins. It was always low impact on family time if you get me.
    3. Fear of injury/recovery. Marathon training is hard. Its harder than the shorter stuff and the recovery sounds awful. I hate the thoughts of having to take two weeks off to recover from a 26.2 mile battering :D

As for lowering the target, if I run one it sure as hell will be my best attempt (don't quote me on that). I couldn't handle AMK pointing out that i'm 20mins slower than him :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

I think when I eventually bite the bullet and run one I'll realise that it was exactly the distance for me.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Yeah its a fair question. I think it would depend on a few factors at the time.

Whether work/life balance is ok.

What the racing landscape looks like. A socially distanced marathon isnt all that different to a TT for me in terms of motivation. Maybe I'm being naive there.

So thats my long winded answer to your very simple question :D

I was considering targeting a marathon before Covid kicked in but we all get crazy notions and plans when we're returning from injury. My fear back then was if I dont do it now then I'll get injured again and never bloody do one. Then I went back to being coached and those fears have gone.

Long term my dream is still low 30's for the 10k rather than a good marathon.......but that could change

Not OTT at all, although way out of your league in terms of fitness etc, that's exactly what happened to me with Rotterdam and it landed me in a fine mess for 4 years with ill health so don't underestimate the effects that added stress can have. I'm also thoroughly enjoying not having any races on and trying to make the most of that by training smart between now and then.

Good to see you back logging, there's lots for the rest of us to learn in here.

Not OTT at all, although way out of your league in terms of fitness etc.....

Fitness is hugely subjective and relative to movement, discipline, distance etc... P can run a faster 5 or 10k than you, but you are in no means out of anyones league in terms of fitness. P also runs faster than Enduro. Might be a debate who is fitter there. Every single person who logs on the forum are fit. From something I heard recently... comparison is the thief of joy :pac:

I digress. Great that you are back logging P and from the work/life stresses POV I thinking would be good for us to run together at least once a month. I could meet you half way, we meander a loop of the NCR or a figure 8 of the bridges and head back to our families on each side of town :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

I have been more geared towards the shorter stuff for a few reasons;
    1. I used to be fascinated by the 5k/10k races at the major events like Olympics/World Championships. Me and my Dad loved them. They were always the huge draw for me.
    2. I always felt like the shorter races were special in that my wife and little girl could come support and it was all done and dusted in <40mins. It was always low impact on family time if you get me.
    3. Fear of injury/recovery. Marathon training is hard. Its harder than the shorter stuff and the recovery sounds awful. I hate the thoughts of having to take two weeks off to recover from a 26.1 mile battering :D

As for lowering the target, if I run one it sure as hell will be my best attempt (don't quote me on that). I couldn't handle AMK pointing out that i'm 20mins slower than him :D:D:D

I think so too:D

Great reasons there to love the shorter stuff & family time is very important, I guess I am practically out the other end of that with no small children as such so I can be a bit selfish with my running, although I don't think it hugely impacts them as they are all usually still in bed by the time I get back (the joys of teens!)

By no means was I suggesting you not to give it your best attempt but maybe not to focus too hard on the target(again easier said than done) & I totally agree with the AMK fear, sure you'd never, ever live it down:p

Cheers for answering, I look forward to your 1st marathon whenever that may be;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

Fitness is hugely subjective and relative to movement, discipline, distance etc... P can run a faster 5 or 10k than you, but you are in no means out of anyones league in terms of fitness. P also runs faster than Enduro. Might be a debate who is fitter there. Every single person who logs on the forum are fit. From something I heard recently... comparison is the thief of joy :pac:

I think this epitomises up one of the great things about this place :)

Not OTT at all, although way out of your league in terms of fitness etc, that's exactly what happened to me with Rotterdam and it landed me in a fine mess for 4 years with ill health so don't underestimate the effects that added stress can have. I'm also thoroughly enjoying not having any races on and trying to make the most of that by training smart between now and then.

As Shotgun said you're far from out of my league. Pretty sure you'd leave me for dead over the longer distances!
    Thanks for that. I'm happy people are getting something out of my ramblings and lists. Lol

• Advertisement

I digress. Great that you are back logging P and from the work/life stresses POV I thinking would be good for us to run together at least once a month. I could meet you half way, we meander a loop of the NCR or a figure 8 of the bridges and head back to our families on each side of town :)

Given i have no sense of direction Enduro would beat me every day of the week. Wouldn't take him on at the Barkleys that's for sure. Lol.

Definitely up for that once the restrictions ease a bit. Nice plan of route too. Works well for both of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Ffs! Who’ll be next to do a Larazus!!!!

Best of luck with it

TbL

Ffs! Who’ll be next to do a Larazus!!!!

Best of luck with it

TbL

Great isn't it! Felt like it was time to step up and contribute and stop leaving others carry the forum!

Great isn't it! Felt like it was time to step up and contribute and stop leaving others carry the forum!

Awful decent of you!!!!

3. No weights/yoga/strength and conditioning. I just don't have the time these days.....

Thanks for reading.
    I may be unpopular for this and know I jest about it. I'm curious. You are posting great stuff all over logs and its super to have you back on the forum yet no time for S&C? You want to be the best 10k runner you can be but no priority for S&C? You handle the quad/hip flexor issues but no concentration on S&C?

Sorry to be straight up about it but WFH I presume you are not chairing every call? I bet you could find a 15min window twice a week to listen in while you do a few conditioning reps? The fact that like many of us you spend long periods sitting (unless you have a stand up desk or walk around while on calls) and actually need S&C for balance and posture.

What surprises me most is that coach has not put this on your program despite being an advocate and practitioner! I just don't get why you don't see the importance for strength, posture, injury prevention, recovery etc...

Haha good man for challenging me on it. There's a few comments I'd make I guess.

Coach will give advice and make recommendations but won't force anything. Outside of the running my diet, supplementary work, drills etc are all up to me. I consider that my responsibility. He's also aware of the subtleties of my personal circumstances and my history which is probably why it's not forced on me. We've talked about it. If I turned around and asked him could we include all this extra stuff he'd more than oblige.

The injury woes are certainly helped by s&c. However, the single biggest contributor to my injury woes has been mismanagement of training load/recovery. That has been addressed pretty much.

I could probably find the time. To be fair who can't find 15mins in the day to do some yoga. If I'm completely honest about it my first port of call upon waking is helping with the kids, then straight into home office, I'm very full on with my workday and apart from lunch run I'm very focussed on work from 8.30 to 5.30.. I come out of work, dinner, help with kids. Get them to bed and then I crash on the couch with the missus. I generally don't have the energy or enthusiasm for much else by the end of the day.

I've learned that this is OK. If I try to squeeze too much in to the day I just become frazzled. In time that will change but right now I'm happy with the balance I have. I can't let myself get too obsessed either.

On the flip side I can't wrap my head around your dedication throughout the day for all of the training. If I tried anywhere near what you're doing id last a week, burnout and get fed up with it. Right now I feel like I have a great balance and enthusiasm for running is very very high. I ain't gonna mess with that! For now anyway.

Just to add, if I really wanted to be the best 10k runner I can be then theres a lot of low hanging fruit like diet and nutrition that I should address first!

Fair enough, was just curious and thanks for the response. Your priorities are where they need to be and its challenging when the kids are that small. Gets a little easier when they can fend for themselves or join in! S&C is usually done first thing or straight after a session or it won't get done, least of all when the kids in bed and the brain is fried from a day of virtual meetings.

Nutrition is probably the key factor most could improve and challenging itself in a young family, WFH scenario. I get a collective EEEEEUUUUGH from the kids every time they see me spoon a dollop of peanut butter into porridge or another green smoothie :)

Glad you asked. No point in us giving kudos/thanks and walking away every time!

January detox has somewhat begun. No booze this month and I feel fresher already! Now chocolate is another story........

• Advertisement

Really solid week this week. Back to work so stress levels are on the up!!!

Monday - Easy 14M
    Bog standard long run. Nothing much to report. Felt good. I think this was run in loops around my Boards 5K TT route as it was too icy to go anywhere else. The tights are out in full force these days lads!

Tuesday - Easy 6.5M
    Standard.

Wednesday - Easy 6.5M plus 6x20s strides
    Standard. Body and legs all good. January detox is working.

Thursday - 6min/3x90s/5min/4x1min/4min. Targeting 6.10 for the longer reps and 5.50 for the shorter reps. 2min recovery after longer reps. 90s recovery between shorter reps.

A nice mix of a session. A mix of HM/threshold effort and CV effort. It's manageable in that the recoveries are generous enough. A strength building session with a little bit of turnover too. Enjoyable. 7/10 on my effort scale. Felt rejuvenated after. Was very controlled. No straining. Happy with the effort.

Friday - Easy 6.5M
    Standard. No ill effects from the session.

Saturday - Easy 6.5M plus 6x20s strides
    Standard. Felt good. Plenty of pop in the legs for the strides.

Sunday - WU/Alternating tempo. 6 miles alternating 6.10/6.30 ever half mile/CD
    Love these sessions. Getting into the rhythm. Never straining. Always controlled. A good effort. Felt spot on throughout and effort level didn't really drift up. If I'm honest this got more manageable as the session continued. Paces were bang on. Feeling in decent nick.

Total for the week was 61.5M. Just over 8hrs.

Solid week. Keeping weeks like this back to back to back will have me in great shape.

Was thinking more about some of the posts and questions on here this week. In particular the lifestyle/hobby debate and also shotguns question about my S&C (or lack of). It got me thinking as to what are the factors to be considered for us runners to be the best we can be. I guess the motivation for me was to justify my reasoning for no S&C to myself. Haha.

As I see it these are the key factors for success in running;
    1. Training load/progression
    2. Diet/Nutrition
    3. Sleep
    4. Stress (mental)
    5. Supplementary strides/drills/yoga
    6. S&C

If be interested to hear if there's others I haven't considered.

For me, with Lukes help I have a handle on 1. Diet/Nutrition needs improvement. Sleep is OK right now as the kids sleep through the night. Stress is an ongoing management thing with work and family. Supplementary stuff - could do better. S&C non existent. So it became clear to me why I don't spend any time focusing on s&c right now. To me it makes no sense to spend time on that when there's so much I could and should do on the rest of the list. I don't see the benefit in spending time on core work if I'm going to devour a giant dairy milk after. Lol. Also balancing 1, 2 and 4 is something I always find tricky. Adding more into the mix usually throws off that balance for me. Anyway just a little Sunday evening ramble. Thanks shotgun for asking the question. It certainly got me thinking. One thing is for sure, we are all wired differently. I can't honestly say I'm trying to be the best runner I can be unless I'm addressing all of the above. Right now I'm not, maybe in time I will.

Advertisement