Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wiring in new build

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭coff66

You might consider something like this to terminate the Cat 5e cables and pre-made patch cables can be purchased easily to connect each to a switch.

That is a unit for 12 cables but there are others for different numbers of cables.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/deleyCON-Network-Panel-12-Port-Distributor/dp/B01LX11Q4X/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=deleycon&qid=1609704211&s=dmusic&sr=1-2

There is very little involved in connecting the ethernet cables to the panel ..... just insulation displacement push on connections which are all colour coded.

As for attaching an RJ45 connector to the end of a cable, there are connectors that do not require any tool. Yes they are more costly than the normal ones but for special occasions they might be worth it.

https://www.freetv.ie/toolless-rj45-connector/

You could do a lot of the preparitory work yourself if inclined.

I'd usually be happy to give anything a go but with the possibility of absolutely destroying anything usable, I think I'll happily admit my incompetence around this and allow it to be sorted correctly.

shanec1928 wrote: »
    If it was me this is how I’d want it.

Cabinet

https://www.cablemonkey.ie/wall-mounted-data-cabinets/88746-450mm-deep-rackyrax-wall-mounted-data-cabinets-5056045700592.html#/2969-width-550mm/2934-height-9u/2791-locking_side_panels_rr_l2_-no

Patch panel

https://www.cablemonkey.ie/cat5e-patch-panels/9159-24-port-cat5e-utp-elite-port-patch-panel-5056045700387.html?search_query=Patch+panel&results=94

To keep it nice and neat, should you go down the diy route you will need some tools to do the job, punch down cable stripper etc.

I’m currently doing the same, well waiting on the last few bits to arrive before starting running cable and patching out to the attic. I’m happy enough to do the work myself coming from an IT background. Try push to get the builders to finish it or check if it was mentioned in your contract how it was going to be left as you may find it hard to get someone to do it due to the size of the job

Ya I've been looking at the bits and cablemonkey is where most things seem to be available.

Like I've said I'm just really not IT minded at all so giving it a go myself is not likely going to happen.

I'll hopefully be meeting with the builder tomorrow and will push on it but from a brief follow up over the weekend he appears to think that's all that's being done from his end, which is why I am here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭meercat

As an electrical contractor I’d say that the electrician was paid to install the cables and it’s up to the homeowner to get a company/service provider to complete.

eddiem74 wrote: »
    Lots of great advice but might be a little far along for where your knowledge and expertise level is at.

First step understand exactly how many cables you have and where they come from / go to. Also understand the entry point to the house for satellite, aerial and broadband / phone.

Once you know exactly what you have it will make moving forward with decisions easier.

Builder I assume can provide all that information?

Very accurate description, I have multiple tabs open searching terms with each new post.

I know how many cables there are and where the go to.

I assume the satellite/aerial entry point will be my/sky installer decision as nothing in place currently.

The broadband/ phone entry will be through the smaller box on the external wall? This box is on the gable wall which the walk in wardrobe is on also. There is nothing installed yet.

meercat wrote: »
    As an electrical contractor I’d say that the electrician was paid to install the cables and it’s up to the homeowner to get a company/service provider to complete.

It's likely that is the case but it has not beeen communicated that's the case. No problem with that being the case and it's why I am here trying to figure out how to proceed if it is in fact the case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,991 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

meercat wrote: »

Apparently the cable ends in the rooms were finished to proper ports rather than left hanging out of holes in the walls.

If that was done I find it surprising that the other ends of the cables were not terminated ....... is it normal to terminate one end and not the other?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭meercat

Apparently the cable ends in the rooms were finished to proper ports rather than left hanging out of holes in the walls.

If that was done I find it surprising that the other ends of the cables were not terminated ....... is it normal to terminate one end and not the other?

Depending on the spec but yes I’ve done this previously

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Re the internet it depends on the size of your house, most people i know
    have a router in the front room, or a room near where broadband cable comes into the house.
    they acess the internet over wifi, game consoles or a pc is connected to the router by use standard rj45 network cable .

i saw the internet being installed a few years ago
    they usually bring in the network cable into a room downstairs ,
    then plug in the router to the power point to make sure its working .
    old houses probably wont be prewired for a phone line or have a connection point for internet acess .
    if you have a room setup as a ,home office, its usually handy to get the router installed there ,as you can plug pc/laptops directly into the router using a network cable .
    if the house is large the wifi signal may not be fast enough in rooms
    far from the router ,eg to watch netflix or online gaming .
    you should get a manual for the router ,in case you want to set up extra
    security options .

Advertisement