Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wiring in new build

Options
  • 02-01-2021 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

Hi everyone happy new year,

Not sure if I have this in the right place so mods feel free to move to the correct location if needed.

We have just bought a new build and the wiring for TV and internet sockets is all going back to the walk in wardrobe in the master bedroom. I have attached a picture of what is in the wardrobe.

I assume this will require some more work before it is usable but I have no idea what is needed. We will be getting sky TV and likely Vodafone broadband and want to ensure there is as little drilling and hole making as possible when installing.

Will I need to get some one out to ensure that everything is set up to be usable?

Any and all help appreciated, really have no idea about any of this.

Thanks,

Coff66

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 113 ✭✭Dunfyy

What's downstairs those wires should be in utility room

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭coff66

Dunfyy wrote: »
    What's downstairs those wires should be in utility room

In the utility is the air to water heat pump and water pump for the house and associated pipes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,991 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

It is an unfinished job, with all the wires in an inappropriate and inconvenient place and none terminated.

Job is incomplete at minimum ...... get contractor in to fix it (after you determine what is required).

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Catmologen

There should be a box outside the house where sky/ virgin/ Vodafone technician can connect to. In the wardrobe there will be a mains cable. The technician should be able to split and route the signal to the appropriate room from here. Check the cables and see if the name of the room is written on them. If so it's a pretty easy job once mains is connected.

It is an unfinished job, with all the wires in an inappropriate and inconvenient place and none terminated.

Job is incomplete at minimum ...... get contractor in to fix it (after you determine what is required).

It does certainly look unfinished but certainly not something I would be confident calling someone out on as I don't know at all what's required for it to be finished.

• Advertisement

Catmologen wrote: »
    There should be a box outside the house where sky/ virgin/ Vodafone technician can connect to. In the wardrobe there will be a mains cable. The technician should be able to split and route the signal to the appropriate room from here. Check the cables and see if the name of the room is written on them. If so it's a pretty easy job once mains is connected.

Haven't had a chance to meet the builder as sale only concluded Christmas week and builder was isolating due to Covid so haven't had a chance to go through everything with him but sent him the picture above and asked if the electrician was coming back and he seemed to think that was how it was staying.

The picture above is literally all that there is in the wardrobe so unless there is a mains cable in that bundle then there is nothing else. All those cables go to internet ports and coax ports in main living areas and bedrooms if that makes any difference?

My limited understanding would be that broadband and TV would be brought to the wardrobe and then distributed throughout the house through these cables?

Just can't see how that would be possible in the current state.

coff66 wrote: »
    It does certainly look unfinished but certainly not something I would be confident calling someone out on as I don't know at all what's required for it to be finished.

You could get an estimate to finish the job from someone in your area who knows what they are doing, which should provide you with sufficient info to speak to your builder about it, knowing what needs to be done.

The builder might agree to pay for the finishing of the job.
    The picture above is literally all that there is in the wardrobe so unless there is a mains cable in that bundle then there is nothing else. All those cables go to internet ports and coax ports in main living areas and bedrooms if that makes any difference?

There appears to be a mains socket at the top of your pic, so that requirement should be covered.
    All those wires need to be terminated in ports. Each wire should be properly terminated at both ends.

Have you accounted for all the coax cables?
    Do you know if any of them are coming in from outside ...... from aerial and satellite dish?

You could get an estimate to finish the job from someone in your area who knows what they are doing, which should provide you with sufficient info to speak to your builder about it, knowing what needs to be done.

The builder might agree to pay for the finishing of the job.

There appears to be a mains socket at the top of your pic, so that requirement should be covered.
    All those wires need to be terminated in ports. Each wire should be properly terminated at both ends.

Have you accounted for all the coax cables?
    Do you know if any of them are coming in from outside ...... from aerial and satellite dish?

I suppose what I am trying to find out here is what is required to finish the job, so I can go about looking to get it priced up or at least saying it to the builder it's not finished as X,Y and Z still needs to be completed. As it has internet and TV points wired to the wardrobe am I looking at an independent satellite installer to quote it or another electrician?

Sorry I misunderstood, there is a power point in the wardrobe close to where the cables come in.

In the bundle, there are 23 cables which equates to the number of internet and TV points within the house. There is no aerial or dish installed yet, sky are scheduled in 3 weeks for install, that's why I want to ensure this is all ready so the install is the least invasive it needs to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Ideally you would want all the cables terminated into a patch panel in a small comms cabinet along with having all the cables tested to ensure no issues. It’s not the biggest job in the world but might struggle to get someone to do it because of that. Push the builder that it should have been finished.

shanec1928 wrote: »
    Ideally you would want all the cables terminated into a patch panel in a small comms cabinet along with having all the cables tested to ensure no issues. It’s not the biggest job in the world but might struggle to get someone to do it because of that. Push the builder that it should have been finished.

Even the TV Point coax cables? All into the same patch panel? I have attached a picture of the points in the main sitting room and all other rooms have the same only with a single TV point rather than the two in the main sitting room. Red circle is what I think are the TV points and yellow is the internet point.

If builder won't play ball, who should I be looking to get to finish the job ideally?

If it gets finished as you have described, will it be a case then that the broadband and sky get brought to the wardrobe and distributed through the patch panel in the Comms cabinet?

• Advertisement

I’d be unsure of patching coax.

Either an electrician or someone who deals with low voltage cables you may know some people who work in IT who may do it for you.

Yes if you got your internet brought to that location, you could then get a switch and have all those network points patched out. You would then have the option to place some access points around the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,492 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Even the TV Point coax cables? All into the same patch panel?

Co-ax will require a passive splitter or distribution amp or multiswitch, depending on final requirements.

You say you will be going with Sky, this will be SkyQ requiring 2 cables from the dish to the box. Is there existing cabling from the outside in that cable bundle? if not the Sky installer may simply want to run the cables externally directly to where the SkyQ box will be located.

If you decide to go multiroom with SkyQ the mini-boxes connect wirelessly to the main SkyQ box, no internal cabling required.

Internal co-ax cabling only required if you want Saorview or free-to-air satellite at the various TV points, Saorview will require an aerial cabled to the distribution point and split using one of the methods I mentioned in the first paragraph.

Free-to-air (FTA) sat will also require cabling from the dish to the distribution point and split using a multiswitch or similar as required.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭LenWoods

Even the TV Point coax cables? All into the same patch panel? I have attached a picture of the points in the main sitting room and all other rooms have the same only with a single TV point rather than the two in the main sitting room. Red circle is what I think are the TV points and yellow is the internet point.

If builder won't play ball, who should I be looking to get to finish the job ideally?

If it gets finished as you have described, will it be a case then that the broadband and sky get brought to the wardrobe and distributed through the patch panel in the Comms cabinet?

Hi,
    Happy new year and congratulations on obtaining your new home,
    it is possible to have up to five RJ45 or F-Type outlets on a single wall plate if you were to use the Clipsal classic range from Schneider electric,

the Clipsal range has been available since the mid 90's and has been evolved over the years by some aftermarket companies mainly in Australia to see the availability of HDMI ports and RJ45 ports which also fit straight in to the uk sized wall plates which we use here in Ireland.

the only draw back is that if you were to purchase generally through eBay; it takes a few weeks for them to arrive,
    I've changed my entire home to Clipsal sockets purchased from electricalwholesaler.ie
    And the HDMI, RJ45, and F-type connectors i then purchased from Australia through eBay uk.
    It's important to note Australian wall plates won't fit Irish fittings, Schneider electric is an Australian company, and the insert size for the clipsal is the same, so the Australian purchased clipsal inerts fit in to the Irish clipsal wall plates. Only purchase inserts from Australia not plates.

here's an example of the five and six ports which i have fitted in my home.

five port which i use in the living room:

poBRvWHIj

pnZibmWwj

and a six port in my attic which I use for satellite distribution

porugpXOj

pmmsmaEbj

pmvk3GMRj

I've also fitted RJ45 and HDMI ports in the bedrooms

pnopyC4Sj

pmWJPjuej

pmAnUE2qj

purchased the Clipsal wall plates from electricalwholesaler.ie and the Clipsal HDMI inserts, Clipsal RJ45 inserts, and Clipsal F-type inserts from Australia via eBay uk, all very much worth it in my opinion as there clean and compact.

I've installed a cat7 network throughout my home myself aswell as virgin media, satellite and terrestrial television and cctv distribution.
    here's my distribution panel which I've fitted in the attic.

pnY9j61cj

all that background detail said now and moving on; i recommend you purchase an F-Type crimping set and terminate the satellite and terrestrial cables yourself as its not really that difficult,
    here is the tool kit you will require link: https://touch.adverts.ie/hand-tools/10pc-rg6-crimp-connectors-f-type-stripping-tool/21807797

may find cheaper on amazon,
    the grey tool provided; has two Stanley blades fitted inside, it clamps on to your cable, you then rotate it and as result; it cuts the cable at two different depths; exposing both inner and outer core at the required amount for then sliding on the f-type crimp.

the next item which i would suggest you purchase and present to your sky installer is one of these hybrid LNB's for your satellite dish,
    link: https://www.freetv.ie/sky-q-hybrid-lnb/
    ask them to fit that one instead of the one which they were provided with,

this will allow you to run freesat boxes or my personal preference is a sky Drx595 multiroom box with an unsubscribed uk sky card, which will provide you with alot of free uk channels without any additional cost after purchase.
    this is a sky DRX595 takes in one satellite feed, cant record but cant record freesat anyway and doesn't produce any noise
    link: https://touch.adverts.ie/satellite/sky-multiroom-box-no-cable/12197213

and this is an unsubscribed uk sky card
    link: http://sat-planet.ie/FREESAT-VIEWING-CARD

personally I've got four sky DRX595 boxes in my home each with an unsubscribed uk sky card fitted all 100% legal providing freesat and exempt from the Brexit removal of channels as they are uk cards fitted.
    saves a fortune not paying for multiroom and virgin media doesn't have the music channels which sky does and with these cards there all for free.

as for the RJ45 cables, if you can get an independent telecommunications expert to call to your home and fit some crimps it shouldn't cost more than 100 euro, you can then fit a LAN router yourself my personally favorite is the Netgear GS308 which has a metal housing and rated up to one gig.

my installs in the bedrooms; I've purchased some MDF floating box shelves from eBay uk three years ago, fitted 90 degree brackets and mounted them to the wall tight to the ceiling, to house satellite box and additional box currently virgin media multiroom.

pmXHGEmWj

all cables are fed in to the boxes from the distribution panel in the attic, the televisions have HDMI cables feeding from the boxes, and the wall plates for laptop or console connection, the televisions are also plugged in to digital time clocks in the attic which automatically switch off the power at different times towards night depending on whether its a school night or not.

beds are mid sleeper and bunk beds which will explain the mounting height of the televisions.
    thought id share some ideas while im here discussing your new build.

po6dTda9j

fold out desk is great for home work too.

povGLp7kj

pnpc78Trj

pmPDq1l1j

hope this helps, if you were to take only one bit of advise from my lengthy post, i hoe that it would be to choose a hybrid LNB on your satellite dish which will save you switching to one at some point again in the future,

and i recommend being there when the sky installer is there as some are absolute smash and grab cowboys, i say "smash and grab" as I've heard one of them say that's the term they use to describe an install where the dish has been mounted directly outside the living room window where they didn't even need to get on the roof just fell against the wall with the SDS drill, grabbled the cable, connected the box and back in the van on to the next old lady.

all said though; some of them enjoy there job and have a great interest, personally i got sick of dealing with them and installed everything in every room myself where i can now remain dynamic in the market without any additional drilling or routing of cables, i can effortlessly switch from virgin, to eir to sky as there all installed throughout the home already in a seamless manner, sign up until the contact expires then switch to the best offer from an alternative, only difference is the remote which I'm holding as the entire home is connected via Rj45 cat7 only the phones and Amazon tablet are on the wifi, each television has saoirview via terrestrial aerial and freesat via sky DRX595 box for free, followed by a multiroom subscription if desired but not totally missed as the televisions have Amazon Prime and the option of Netflix built in not to mention YouTube.
    its was a worthy investment installing a good home network,

pnje3Q9Mj

thanks for your time.

shanec1928 wrote: »
    I’d be unsure of patching coax.

Either an electrician or someone who deals with low voltage cables you may know some people who work in IT who may do it for you.

Yes if you got your internet brought to that location, you could then get a switch and have all those network points patched out. You would then have the option to place some access points around the house.

Thank you for that, so for internet to be located in that wardrobe I'll be needing a at least a patch panel and a switch?

The Cush wrote: »
    Co-ax will require a passive splitter or distribution amp or multiswitch, depending on final requirements.

You say you will be going with Sky, this will be SkyQ requiring 2 cables from the dish to the box. Is there existing cabling from the outside in that cable bundle? if not the Sky installer may simply want to run the cables externally directly to where the SkyQ box will be located.

If you decide to go multiroom with SkyQ the mini-boxes connect wirelessly to the main SkyQ box, no internal cabling required.

Internal co-ax cabling only required if you want Saorview or free-to-air satellite at the various TV points, Saorview will require an aerial cabled to the distribution point and split using one of the methods I mentioned in the first paragraph.

Free-to-air (FTA) sat will also require cabling from the dish to the distribution point and split using a multiswitch or similar as required.

Can I get the sky box located in the wardrobe? If so what do I then need to get that to comment with the TV point in the main sitting room? I know I will need a magic eye or similar to control channel changes.

Similarly I'll be bringing my old sky+ box from current location so will want to also have that in the wardrobe and feed the kitchen/living area.

It sounds like I will the coax cables to be connected to something different to the internet cables? I really appreciate the help as you can tell I'm well out of my depth with this. Have you any suggestions as to the type of exact hardware I'll be needing?

LenWoods wrote: »
    Hi,
    Happy new year and congratulations on obtaining your new home,
    it is possible to have up to five RJ45 or F-Type outlets on a single wall plate if you were to use the Clipsal classic range from Schneider electric,

the Clipsal range has been available since the mid 90's and has been evolved over the years by some aftermarket companies mainly in Australia to see the availability of HDMI ports and RJ45 ports which also fit straight in to the uk sized wall plates which we use here in Ireland.

the only draw back is that if you were to purchase generally through eBay; it takes a few weeks for them to arrive,
    I've changed my entire home to Clipsal sockets purchased from electricalwholesaler.ie and the HDMI, RJ45, and F-type connectors i then purchased from Australia through eBay uk.

here's an example of the five and six ports which i have fitted in my home.

five port which i use in the living room:

poBRvWHIj

pnZibmWwj

and a six port in my attic which I use for satellite distribution

porugpXOj

pmmsmaEbj

pmvk3GMRj

I've also fitted RJ45 and HDMI ports in the bedrooms

pnopyC4Sj

pmWJPjuej

pmAnUE2qj

purchased the Clipsal wall plates from electricalwholesaler.ie and the Clipsal HDMI inserts, Clipsal RJ45 inserts, and Clipsal F-type inserts from Australia via eBay uk, all very much worth it in my opinion as there clean and compact.

I've installed a cat7 network throughout my home myself aswell as virgin media, satellite and terrestrial television and cctv distribution.
    here's my distribution panel which I've fitted in the attic.

pnY9j61cj

all that background detail said now and moving on; i recommend you purchase an F-Type crimping set and terminate the satellite and terrestrial cables yourself as its not really that difficult,
    here is the tool kit you will require link: https://touch.adverts.ie/hand-tools/10pc-rg6-crimp-connectors-f-type-stripping-tool/21807797

may find cheaper on amazon,
    the grey tool provided; has two Stanley blades fitted inside, it clamps on to your cable, you then rotate it and as result; it cuts the cable at two different depths; exposing both inner and outer core at the required amount for then sliding on the f-type crimp.

the next item which i would suggest you purchase and present to your sky installer is one of these hybrid LNB's for your satellite dish,
    link: https://www.freetv.ie/sky-q-hybrid-lnb/
    ask them to fit that one instead of the one which they were provided with,

this will allow you to run freesat boxes or my personal preference is a sky Drx595 multiroom box with an unsubscribed uk sky card, which will provide you with alot of free uk channels without any additional cost after purchase.
    this is a sky DRX595 takes in one satellite feed, cant record but cant record freesat anyway and doesn't produce any noise
    link: https://touch.adverts.ie/satellite/sky-multiroom-box-no-cable/12197213

and this is an unsubscribed uk sky card
    link: http://sat-planet.ie/FREESAT-VIEWING-CARD

personally I've got four sky DRX595 boxes in my home each with an unsubscribed uk sky card fitted all 100% legal providing freesat and exempt from the Brexit removal of channels as they are uk cards fitted.
    saves a fortune not paying for multiroom and virgin media doesn't have the music channels which sky does and with these cards there all for free.

as for the RJ45 cables, if you can get an independent telecommunications expert to call to your home and fit some crimps it shouldn't cost more than 100 euro, you can then fit a LAN router yourself my personally favorite is the Netgear GS308 which has a metal housing and rated up to one gig.

my installs in the bedrooms; I've purchased some MDF floating box shelves from eBay uk three years ago, fitted 90 degree brackets and mounted them to the wall tight to the ceiling, to house satellite box and additional box currently virgin media multiroom.

pmXHGEmWj

all cables are fed in to the boxes from the distribution panel in the attic, the televisions have HDMI cables feeding from the boxes, and the wall plates for laptop or console connection, the televisions are also plugged in to digital time clocks in the attic which automatically switch off the power at different times towards night depending on whether its a school night or not.

beds are mid sleeper and bunk beds which will explain the mounting height of the televisions.
    thought id share some ideas while im here discussing your new build.

po6dTda9j

fold out desk is great for home work too.

povGLp7kj

pnpc78Trj

pmPDq1l1j

hope this helps, if you were to take only one bit of advise from my lengthy post, i hoe that it would be to choose a hybrid LNB on your satellite dish which will save you switching to one at some point again in the future,

and i recommend being there when the sky installer is there as some are absolute smash and grab cowboys, i say "smash and grab" as I've heard one of them say that's the term they use to describe an install where the dish has been mounted directly outside the living room window where they didn't even need to get on the roof just fell against the wall with the SDS drill, grabbled the cable, connected the box and back in the van on to the next old lady.

all said though; some of them enjoy there job and have a great interest, personally i got sick of dealing with them and installed everything in every room myself where i can now remain dynamic in the market without any additional drilling or routing of cables, i can effortlessly switch from virgin, to eir to sky as there all installed throughout the home already in a seamless manner, sign up until the contact expires then switch to the best offer from an alternative, only difference is the remote which I'm holding as the entire home is connected via Rj45 cat7 only the phones and Amazon tablet are on the wifi, each television has saoirview via terrestrial aerial and freesat via sky DRX595 box for free, followed by a multiroom subscription if desired but not totally missed as the televisions have Amazon Prime and the option of Netflix built in not to mention YouTube.
    its was a worthy investment installing a good home network,

pnje3Q9Mj

thanks for your time.

Wow, thank you for your time. That is a seriously impressive set up. I am in no way technically minded or handy so doing anything myself is out unfortunately, although I'd love to be able to do it.

As above I'll be bringing my old sky+ box and have heard about the hybrid LNB so will be definitely getting one of those.

Your set up being fluid enough to not require any further invasive installing is what I am trying to get set up now so that this is the only point to which any drilling needs to be done to connect sky and broadband.

Unfortunately, we had no say in the wiring specification or routing when we purchased so we are stuck with what's there without some invasive work which I think would be a hard sell to the other half.

Thank you for taking the time to provide such detailed information.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

At Lenwood, that fold out desk is a handy space saver. Where did you get it?

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    At Lenwood, that fold out desk is a handy space saver. Where did you get it?

Thanks,
    I bought it a few months ago from Aosom.ie
    Link: https://www.aosom.ie/catalogsearch/result/Fold out desk.html

However they have temporarily ceased trading in Ireland until they sort themselves out with Brexit.

There is a similar model available here though;
    Link: https://craftelier.com/en-ie/we-r-memory-keepers-fold-down-craft-table.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭colm_c

I would have thought the likes of Netflix or plex or other streaming setup would be a more future proof setup?

We have free sat on our main TV, but we barely use it to be honest.

For streaming, most new tvs have apps for them, so no additional hardware required, only decent Internet, wired or wireless.

I would hook up sky or freesat to the main TV, anywhere else, I would just use Netflix.

I really appreciate everyone taking the time to respond to the initial query and offering their insight but I suppose I am still really no clearer in what exactly I need to do or who I should be getting to do it.

There is nothing can be done now about where the wires are or the type of wiring that is there that's all in place so I am trying to utilise this in the best possible way.

What I would like to do and hope it is possible is get sky q in stalled and have the q box in wardrobe and feed it to the TV in the main sitting room and be able to control changing the channels from the sitting room. Then also have an old sky+ box in the wardrobe also and feed the TV in the kitchen with free to air channels, which I know requires a hybrid LNB on the dish which I will get. Again control channels from kitchen also.

Similar then for the broadband, have the router in the wardrobe and use the cables to provide wired internet to each room, as each room has a point.

What I need to know is what equipment is required to do this as simply as possible with the wiring that's already in place and what type of professional or professionals is likely to be able to manage getting all of this ready to go?

Apologies for the long post and hope l it makes sense and that I have given the required information.

• Advertisement

Wow, thank you for your time. That is a seriously impressive set up. I am in no way technically minded or handy so doing anything myself is out unfortunately, although I'd love to be able to do it.

As above I'll be bringing my old sky+ box and have heard about the hybrid LNB so will be definitely getting one of those.

Your set up being fluid enough to not require any further invasive installing is what I am trying to get set up now so that this is the only point to which any drilling needs to be done to connect sky and broadband.

Unfortunately, we had no say in the wiring specification or routing when we purchased so we are stuck with what's there without some invasive work which I think would be a hard sell to the other half.

Thank you for taking the time to provide such detailed information.
    Thanks,
    There are many options on achieving similar results with television setup's

Regarding your old sky+ box; if you're planning to use that for Freeview purposes then I suggest considering changing it to a smaller sized sky DRX595 which is essentially the same hardware but more energy efficient and zero operating noise because there's no hard drive; which you won't be able to use in Freeview mode anyway.

That said; most modern televisions have a satellite tuner built in, meaning you can combine an terrestrial aerial and satellite feed in to one cable; plug it straight in to the TV and receive the full list of channels.

You could also combine satellite and terrestrial in to one cable; then distribute to each room; followed by separating the feeds again putting it in to terrestrial and a sky DRX595 box

I would avoid putting too many devices in to that wardrobe area, if possible keep it just distribution no sky box's or anything that could create a fire hazard,
    If it was my house id fit an RJ45 wall plate to protect and conceal the integrated cables, followed by purchasing patch cables and a Netgear GS308 to the wall above, followed by a f-type wall plate and create some patch cables to link the outlets, This way your built in cables are forever protected against rodents, consealed in wall plates with easy to replace patch cables on the exterior.

The broadband router doesn't need to be in the wardrobe neither; that could be hidden in the kitchen or Living room, a single RJ45 connection feeding up to that wardrobe area would be sufficient further reducing a fire hazard in that area.

If it was my setup, I'd centralise the boxes in the living room,
    If you have four coaxial cables in the living room then your laughing.
    Two feeding in from the satellite,
    One to bring down a terrestrial feed from an aerial
    And the fourth one then to send a broadcast back up to your distribution point there;
    Where you could share it with the rest of the house through distribution.

That's the way mine is setup,
    I've two "Edison HDMI to RF modulators" fitted in my system, they allow you to create a channel displaying your hdmi source aswell as choose it's broadcasting signal and name.
    If you can picture an oval train track.
    And there are four train stations or televisions,
    The carriages on the train are the channels being distributed to each station.
    The track in this case is two coaxial feeds; running to and from the living room to the central distribution,

My terrestrial aerial comes in from the roof and goes in to a hdmi modulator in the attic where it picks up a broadcast from the CCTV system then travels down to the living room where it goes in to another hdmi modulator where it picks up a broadcast from a Blu-ray player then goes back up to the attic;
    It then goes in to a 4-way amplified splitter where all channels are sent via one coaxial cable to each television outlet.

If you only have three coaxial feeds in the living room then you can still share broadcasts with the rest of the house but you would need to sacrifice saoirview terrestrial TV from the living room in favour of using that line as a return feed to the main distribution area.

Finally then; if your planning to purchase"smart eyes" for each room then I'd strongly recommend logging on to adverts or eBay UK and purchase some sky drx595 box's instead as they will work out alot cheaper in the long run aswell as provide each room with its own personal lineup rather than communal viewing.

If your not technically minded and it's not something your looking to get in to doing; then personally I wouldn't invest too much in purchasing distribution amplifiers or hdmi modulators because getting an independent TV installer in would be a better option as some are very passionate about the brand of equipment choice and will stand over the entire system should it ever fail; but only if they provided everything to do with it,
    That said; you can't go wrong with a hybrid LNB and when the installer is fitting the dish your best have it fitted at that time rather than paying for it to be done at a later date,
    But everything else; let's discuss it and help you find the right setup for your home; then you will know exactly what you want to achieve; when getting a professional in to provide an estimate,

The overall estimate may then encourage you to do it yourself, or provide you with a good install which you don't have to spend time compiling parts and doing yourself.

I really appreciate everyone taking the time to respond to the initial query and offering their insight but I suppose I am still really no clearer in what exactly I need to do or who I should be getting to do it.

There is nothing can be done now about where the wires are or the type of wiring that is there that's all in place so I am trying to utilise this in the best possible way.

What I would like to do and hope it is possible is get sky q in stalled and have the q box in wardrobe and feed it to the TV in the main sitting room and be able to control changing the channels from the sitting room. Then also have an old sky+ box in the wardrobe also and feed the TV in the kitchen with free to air channels, which I know requires a hybrid LNB on the dish which I will get. Again control channels from kitchen also.

Similar then for the broadband, have the router in the wardrobe and use the cables to provide wired internet to each room, as each room has a point.

What I need to know is what equipment is required to do this as simply as possible with the wiring that's already in place and what type of professional or professionals is likely to be able to manage getting all of this ready to go?

Apologies for the long post and hope l it makes sense and that I have given the required information.
    Independent TV installer you need an F-type distribution amplifier with smart-eye bypass,,
    That item should cost 50 euro at the most and requires a mains socket, Fitting would be in the wardrobe

Smart eyes if you don't already have and a triax I/O link adapter for the rear of the sky box, perhaps a triax plug in adapter to help boost the I/O adapter output from living room up to your wardrobe.

Depending on the number of network sockets in your home I'd go with a Netgear LAN router GS308 gives 7 outputs

As said there too; I'd fit the broadband router somewhere clear like the living room or kitchen, then have it plugged in to your network feeding to the wardrobe; bear in mind then; wherever the broadband router is situated it still provides a further three RJ45 outputs from itself, so all is not lost if your using the wall fitted RJ45 to share internet on the LAN.

All of that hardware including crimps and connectors should be under 200 euro and if going for the clipsal items I recommended then you could probably double that figure to a total of 400 euro.
    Then labor for an independent installer on top of that and the cost for him to say "ooh nice wall plates" that costs extra too lol could be looking around 700 - 900 euro for everything supplied and fitted for a days work at the very most unless you're doing it yourself.

You could also quite easily distribute, from a central location, all your tv requirements over the Cat5e cabling and have all the channels available not only at TV points but also available to PCs, laptops, tablets and phones etc..

I use a Unicable LNB so just a single coax from the Sat dish provides a signal for up to 32 tuners (if I ever had need :D) and a second coax for the terrestral feed from an aerial.

Such setups are described in the HTPC section.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=643

[quote="LenWoods;115792676[/quote]

Thank you so very much! It really looks like the cabling was just left at step one.

Have you any interest in setting up yourself? I'll let you come and do all that's needed to get me set up.

You could also quite easily distribute, from a central location, all your tv requirements over the Cat5e cabling and have all the channels available not only at TV points but also available to PCs, laptops, tablets and phones etc..

I use a Unicable LNB so just a single coax from the Sat dish provides a signal for up to 32 tuners (if I ever had need :D) and a second coax for the terrestral feed from an aerial.

Such setups are described in the HTPC section.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=643

Thanks, I knew there was another forum that may have been a good place for this too but didn't know which one it was. I am definitely in way over my head here and will definitely be getting a competent professional in to get everything set up.

If anyone knows of such a professional in the Limerick area, I'd appreciate any recommendations.

Thank you so very much! It really looks like the cabling was just left at step one.

Have you any interest in setting up yourself? I'll let you come and do all that's needed to get me set up.
    Thanks very much for the offer but I've not crimped RJ45 cables before, and were currently in level 5 lockdown ; we can't travel

I would like to help; no problem, but I don't think I can in terms of getting hands on.
    Thanks very much though.

If it was me this is how I’d want it.

Cabinet

https://www.cablemonkey.ie/wall-mounted-data-cabinets/88746-450mm-deep-rackyrax-wall-mounted-data-cabinets-5056045700592.html#/2969-width-550mm/2934-height-9u/2791-locking_side_panels_rr_l2_-no

Patch panel

https://www.cablemonkey.ie/cat5e-patch-panels/9159-24-port-cat5e-utp-elite-port-patch-panel-5056045700387.html?search_query=Patch+panel&results=94

To keep it nice and neat, should you go down the diy route you will need some tools to do the job, punch down cable stripper etc.

I’m currently doing the same, well waiting on the last few bits to arrive before starting running cable and patching out to the attic. I’m happy enough to do the work myself coming from an IT background. Try push to get the builders to finish it or check if it was mentioned in your contract how it was going to be left as you may find it hard to get someone to do it due to the size of the job

You might consider something like this to terminate the Cat 5e cables and pre-made patch cables can be purchased easily to connect each to a switch.

That is a unit for 12 cables but there are others for different numbers of cables.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/deleyCON-Network-Panel-12-Port-Distributor/dp/B01LX11Q4X/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=deleycon&qid=1609704211&s=dmusic&sr=1-2

There is very little involved in connecting the ethernet cables to the panel ..... just insulation displacement push on connections which are all colour coded.

As for attaching an RJ45 connector to the end of a cable, there are connectors that do not require any tool. Yes they are more costly than the normal ones but for special occasions they might be worth it.

https://www.freetv.ie/toolless-rj45-connector/

You could do a lot of the preparitory work yourself if inclined.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

Lots of great advice but might be a little far along for where your knowledge and expertise level is at.

First step understand exactly how many cables you have and where they come from / go to. Also understand the entry point to the house for satellite, aerial and broadband / phone.

Once you know exactly what you have it will make moving forward with decisions easier.

Builder I assume can provide all that information?

• Advertisement

LenWoods wrote: »
    Thanks very much for the offer but I've not crimped RJ45 cables before, and were currently in level 5 lockdown unless you're in the sunny south east of the country where I am; we can't travel

I'm a chemical process operator by day job, manufacture pharmaceutical ingredients. Come from a family of electricians which is where I got interested in this type of thing,
    I would like to help; no problem, but I don't think I can in terms of getting hands on.
    Thanks very much though.[/quo

Wouldn't really have expected any hands on help, more highlighting the information you are giving seems like you would be more than capable of doing so.

Am appreciating all the information.

Advertisement