Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Club fitting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭IHateNewShoes

That's for a set of mizuno pro 223 irons. I'm finding it tough to commit that much to be honest. Especially when I need a few wedges and some longer clubs too.

I think I am going to keep an eye for something second hand that might tide me over until I have the necessary swing changes made. An extra half inch in length and extra stiff shafts around 130g if anyone has anything going!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

How does the 1500 compare to off the shelf? do you know your specs?

Pretty much the same money wise as buying in American golf etc. Yeah I have my specs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭big_drive

It's big commitment alright.

If you went second hand €1,500 could probably get you a full bag of quality clubs including woods, wedges, putter on top of the irons

Golf clubs are gone seriously expensive, don't thing that will be changing anytime soon either

• Registered Users Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Do you mind me asking how much the fitting was? I wouldn't mind paying for something like that if there's is no commitment to buy and you get the the specs emailed to you.

• Advertisement

€80 was mentioned in an earlier post I think

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Waesfjord

€80 for 1hour, says so earlier in thread right?

Website below. call for a booking as nothing available online, but I got an appt within 2weeks by calling direct.

https://bettergolf.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Didn't see that sorry. €80 is not a bad price at all to be fair...

Yes €80 for an hour, think it was €130 for 2 but there were no 2 hour slots available. Would have gone for 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,854 ✭✭✭Russman

Had an irons fitting this week with Concept Golf. Can't speak highly enough of the experience, by far the most impressive fit I've had over the years. Mark was very knowledgeable and thoroughly explained the "why" behind any options we tried or results we saw. TBH the hour flew by and stretched to probably an hour & 15min. Think I tried 6 different irons, then we narrowed it down to 2, then 1, then various shafts.

I've no connection at all with them but just thought I'd mention the experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭OEP

Has anyone ever gone to American Golf for their free fitting? I only want to look at wedges, and I'm unlikely to buy any yet. I'm more curious to see the differences between brands and also look at a proper gapping. I live close to the Dundrum one so thought why not pop in. Interested to hear about other's experiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭CSWS101

Yeah also been fitted by him in his new place, really good experience too. Would recommend, knew his stuff

Yep, I found it fascinating (and educational) to see how its not so much "shaft x hits it further than shaft y", but much more "shaft and head combo x allows my swing to react and produce these numbers, whereas with shaft and head combo y, my misses are slightly worse or my variances are increased or whatever the case may be"

I made sure not to look at any of the clubs or shafts he handed me to hit so I wouldn't have any bias (granted the Ping one was obvious to the eye !) and was able to say to him at different points that, on looks and feel, I preferred the first one or the third one or whatever. Felt very weird making that call without knowing what they were I have to admit, definitely some surprises when he showed me which was which.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭CSWS101

What did you end up going for? Only peeve was the lack of mizunos, would have loved to try them.

It ended up that the best for me were the Srixon ZX5. I tried the T200, P770, i525, ZX5, ZX7 and one other I can't for the life of me remember. It came down to the P770 & ZX5, but the Srixons gave me a fraction better numbers in terms of tightening in my bad shots and were the ones I chose as my favourite before I knew which was which. I could have lived with any of them really, but didn't like the i525 at all, very head heavy (for me).

Since the mid 90s I've actually never had a set of irons that weren't Mizunos, but being a lefty, Mizuno have pretty much abandoned us in the last few years so it didn't bother me not being able to see them.

What kind of money did you pay for the Srixons?

Haven't made the purchase yet, need to decide what to do with my own set, ie trade in somewhere, sell independently etc. AFAIK the Srixons come in around €1k for 5-PW.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭IAmTitleist

Anyone any idea about Ping demo days in Ireland/Northern Ireland??

Can't find any info on their website but saw a local pro at Moyola Park had the Ping Van at his course last few days.

Want to get fit for a G425 fairway wood.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

So was supposed to wait 6 weeks from clubs when I ordered them and it has been 12 weeks and still no sign of them. Half tempted to tell them to forget it, how can it take so long

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Pretty sure its a global issue in terms of shortages and delays for clubs. Supposed to be even worse again if you're a lefty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

Same as most things at this stage unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭golfguy1

kbs who are the number 1 shaft manufacturer are based in Taiwan. they have basically been closed due to covid for the best part on and off for the last 6=9 months. this has caused a major shaft shortage for all the major brands.

most of the big brands manufacturing is in Asia which again on and off has closed down factories over the last 2 yrs again causing major backlogs on delivery of stock

throw in unprecedented demand for new clubs and shipping delays due to brexit ( clubs now leave callaway/tm/mizuno etc in UK and ship to mainland Europe and then back to ireland). takes 10 working days from leaving UK to arriving instore here.

pretty unavoidable for the retailer but a pain in the arse for customers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭benny79

Is that who you go to for lessons @spacecoyote would you recommend?

Was years ago when I had a lesson with him. Think he's in fairly high demand now and involved in a lot of the international youth teams.

Last lesson I had there was with a guy, Callum Slater. Was very good, not trying to reinvent the wheel, small, effective fixes and nice little suggestions of how to get the feel of the changes. Will be going back to him for follow up soon enough I reckon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

PING, I have been told by FOREgolf dont have any more of their current models for custom building and are busy getting ready for new release next year. All that is left is what is on shelves

They have basically become so popular that they cant manage demand and plan take every second year off until supply chain issues are resolved

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

I had an irons fitting this week by McGuirks. Never had a fitting or been on a Trackman before. Fascinating technology! Balls were hit out onto a range so after a while I could predict what numbers would show for a shot.

The fitter Gary was interesting, a pro himself, asked me lots of cryptic questions about my brand preferences, what I wanted to get from the fitting, how I approached taking a shot. Made a few observations but didn't get into trying to fix my swing. Pointed out a lot of misconceptions I had about clubs and ball flights.

First discovery was that my current 7 iron (AP2s) carried much less than I thought, only around 132 yards. Tried several heads and a couple of shafts. All beat my current 7 by at least 10 yards, even poor shots and all felt easier to hit.

Ended up recommending Mizuno JPX923 Hot Metal, regular shafts (had stiff S300), 1* upright, extra wrapped grips (I wear XL gloves).

These are a birthday gift so I ordered 4-PW. Could have taken the specs and shopped around for similar but wanted it done. 1090 with the 50 fitting cost knocked off.

For reference, I'm a 13.5 HI. Had a couple if iron lessons this year so my swing and strike are improved. Going by the Trackman stats though, I still have plenty to work on 😀

3 weeks to have them between manufacture and delivery. Looking forward to seeing how my game changes with them.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Getting fitted for irons this Friday and can't wait. Current irons were hand my downs, and not really suited to me, so very interesting to see what other ones are like. Hoping for some more forgiveness if nothing else. Going to swing studio in Killarney, as i've been getting lessons there already and they have a fair amount of info on my swing already.

Good luck Kiith, enjoy the fitting session. I really enjoyed it, its a great info and learning experience. Look forward to seeing those lessons in action in Corballis in a couple of weeks

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

The fitting is taking place in the Killarney golf academy (also called Lackabane apparently), but he also has an indoor studio up near the Gleneagle INEC arena.

Advertisement