Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Club fitting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,718 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Getting fit for clubs isn't suddenly going to make you a much better player, you may not notice any difference and you may actually get worse. Think it's really got over rated recently, I've been "fitted" a few times and the process has often left me disappointed, there's definitely different levels of fitting.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

What did you get out of interest?

I had a driver fitting recently and while I didn’t buy I found everything performing around the same. Reason I didn’t buy is I’m just crushing mine. Buts it’s 10 years old and there is definitely a bit more distance to be had in something new.

Were you proper happy in the fitting or? I bought a 5 wood recently in a fitting and couldn’t hit it out of my way on the course. But I got a lesson after buying it thinking there wouldn’t be any major changes and it ended up being s full grip change.

I bought it to gap 200 yards carry which in the fitting it achieved. It’s carrying 215-220 now :D

but in fairness the fitter specifically said he wasn’t going to move away from standard lies etc for me as I was getting back into play and he did say id only hit it further and gave me some advice on the adjustments if I want to manage carry on it which has been great.

That was McGuirks airside btw. Think his name was Carl. Thought he was great and I’d happily go back and trust his instincts again

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

I would have always said that driver was my favourite club and if I had to hit a club that the driver would have been my choice

I went to get a full bag review with a fitter who is highly regarded on here. We went through the irons and wedges which I was interested in reviewing and he said we’d do the driver also. I was sceptical as I was happy with the driver so we hit the shots and he recommended a change to a shorter, heavier, lower lofted club/shaft. I had a TM M2, I forget what shaft and the club proposed was Cobra Rad Speed with the hazardus shaft and 9 degrees.

another poster had that they had similar and got lessons which fixed the issue. that’s definitely an approach I could take but it has me asking why this club would appear as a suitable fitting if I needed lessons to use it when my old one was working perfectly well.

the experience has really knocked my confidence in fittings and the potential to change clubs.

I have even gone back to the driver I had before the M2 which was a Titleist 913 that I was very happy with only that I got an extra couple of yards with the M2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

That’s interesting. Did you sell the M2 or can you hit them side by side to ensure it’s the club and not you? As amateurs I think we all go through ups and downs in form with certain areas of the bag. For me my driving is a strength in that I’m typically longer than most and keep it on the planet. I’ve had a bad stretch the last couple of weeks but I know from my fitting (which ended with me keeping my current driver as not much to be gained from changing and trackman confirmed it) that the issue is me and not the club. Same with the irons I got, for me getting fit and seeing and feeling how the clubs performed confirms that any issue I have is almost certainly down to me.

like you I’d have been wary of switching out the driver but it doesn’t sound to me like you were convinced the fitted driver was better? I think if that’s the case then you might have been better off saying that and sticking to your guns. I certainly wouldn’t be relying on the fitter to make your decision for you. On you can say if a club feels right, stats on the trackman are one thing but if you don’t like it then there’s no point. Did you change any other clubs and see an improvement?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

The M2 went for trade in against it. Basically went on the basis that the stats said it would be the more consistent driver of the pair. Initially I thought it was way too low and had to tee it up a little higher to get it away in the air.

haven’t had other clubs fitted to compare the outcomes but it is interesting to see the variance for me in terms of feel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭Russman

Some very interesting anecdotes about fitting and the pros and cons. The M2 is a bit of a cult classic though, I'm still using mine but might see if there's anything to be gained by upgrading this year (definitely won't be selling or trading it though !).

TBH I'm constantly back and forth on the real world benefits of fitting. I definitely think its a good thing, but for every "Joe was off 15 and got new irons properly fitted to his specs and now he's off 6..." type anecdote, there seems to be a matching one of "..I got fitted and can't hit my new driver at all....."

Personally I've had quick 20 minute fits work brilliantly and hour long sessions where I've felt a bit "meh" afterwards. I think I got completely lucky with my M2, I was at one of those driving range TM Tour Van fittings back in 2016 to get my fairway woods checked out, the guy was brilliant and solved my problem by getting me to go down an inch on the grip rather than advising a new club or shaft. I was the last customer and they were packing up the gear to head off when the fitter, who I loosely knew well enough to say hello to, asked me did I want to hit a few drivers when they were tidying up. I was hitting my own fine and getting a good smash of 1.45 but, for whatever reason, when I hit the M2 I picked up about 10/12 yards of carry. He paused what he was doing and we spent a few minutes looking at the data and tried a different shaft or two, but it was definitely better than my own. I still have and love that driver. Was I lucky or was the fitter that good ? who knows.

Conversely a couple of years earlier I got the full bag fit with one of the well known places, bought an expensive new driver and could never hit it properly. Obviously its 99% the Indian not the arrow, but after about 3 months I traded it in with a pro I know. He asked me where I got it and when I told him he chuckled and said "oh right, what's this year's shaft then ?". Possibly a b1tchy throwaway remark, but it kinda stuck with me and always makes me wonder do we really need any more than light Vs heavy, and regular Vs stiff when it comes to shafts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

There is definitely pros and cons when it comes to fitting, I don't think it's for everyone.

I got fitted years ago for a set of irons and a driver, I was playing off 19 at the time and fitting was not as big as it is now. Looking back at it now it was probably as waste of time for me as at that time as I didn't really have a good understanding of shaft weights or lie angles and the likes so I just went with whatever the fitter said. Anyway I never noticed any major difference, I was still hitting the ball as inconsistently as ever and my handicap stayed the same for the following few years but I liked the look of the club's and I wasn't playing any worse so I didn't take much notice of it.

It was only maybe 3 or 4 years later when I decided I wanted to take golf more seriously and got lessons that it was highlighted to me that my clubs were not ideal for me. The shaft weights in my irons were way to heavy for my swing speed and the lie angle was way to upright. I ditched the irons and ended up borrowing my bothers spare set, Callaway X-Hot iron's that he bought off the shelf in America golf. I ended up using these irons for the next few years and loved them. I'm playing off 7 these days I only changed out my irons last year when I upgraded to a set of i500's. I bought the club's 2nd hand, I knew by the dot colour that they lie may need an adjustment once I got them but I was happy with the shafts that were in them so I just went to a pro shop and he sorted the lie angles out for me, €5 a club, job done!

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭IHateNewShoes

I'm heading to Carton house for a fitting with Kenny during the week, has anyone been that could share their experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭big_drive

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Used to be, but not anymore. They've expanded to include all the big manufacturers.

Haven't had a fit with Kenny, but had a lesson with him and he knows his stuff

• Advertisement

Great, will be interesting to hear how you get on with it

Will report back. I have an hour slot, wanted 2 but they were fully booked..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭Russman

Can I ask how you got the appointment ? I've tried a few times and just been told I'm being put on a waiting list and they'll call me with a slot. Last time was probably 3/4 months ago (maybe even pre Christmas) and have never heard a thing from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭bamayang

To add to all the experiences thus far. I got fit for the first time at Xmas. Had been using a Ping 9* stiff shaft driver, which was OK, but inconsistent. After hitting 15 balls with own driver, and then 10+ with 3 new types, he showed me the trackman data which showed that the new Ping with X stiff shaft was the most consistent for me. I went with that and have been using it for the last month. Have seen a lot more consistency with it and am very happy.

My old driver was probably 15 years old and 2nd hand when it got to me, so a big improvement came from there. I couldnt see any benefit in going through the process again in 3 or 4 years time, as I'm not going to be able hit it any farther than I am now.

I also got him to look at my 3 wood, which again was inconsistent, so he suggested changing to x stiff shaft. I was always afraid to hit the 3 wood as it was so unpredictable, but its a lovely club now and follows a similar path each time. Prob added 15 yards to it also.

So I think fitting will have its best benefit if you are coming from non fitted (possibly 2nd hand) clubs to new. I would imagine the benefit of getting re-fit, decreases a little each time. So after the 1st go, your goal should really be the enjoyment of the process and the experience, rather than "this is going to drastically reduce my handicap".

I was able to just book online a couple of weeks ago. Have checked since and there seems to be no appointments but at the time and the few weeks before, appointments were relatively plentiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

It’s amazing what difference the shaft can make. I hit a few x stiff in my fitting but didn’t like them at all. Not sure I have the swing speed for them really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭OEP

I got fitted for the first time last summer. My old driver was pretty old and I bought it second hand but I hit it well - it was 10 degrees and stiff. I ended up getting fit with a Ping Low Spin head with an extra stiff shaft and 11 degrees! You're never going to think of a combination like that. I have a way better ball flight now, before it used to go quite high but the shaft and the low spin head have flattened it out quite a lot - and then the 11 degree loft gives a bit more forgiveness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

I'd agree here, you need to coming up a lot of years and from u fitted stuff to see a major improvement.

Getting lessons and practice is more important.

Get your drive on the fairway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

id be of a similar opinion as you. a number of people who i play with and are very good (i myself am not unfortunately) say that its a bit pointless until you get close to single digit handicap. lessons should be the first port of call for anyone according to them, then maybe a fitting to help with one or two things

• Registered Users Posts: 32 sean.ocall

It's going to depend on how outside of the norm you are. I had a fitting fairly early on (suggested by my coach) as I'm quite big and strong and swing fast (coming from previous sporting experience as a thrower), and a beginner set with light regular shafts was impossible for me to improve with after a short while. Moving to heavy stiff shafts had a huge positive effect for me straight away, and while I might have guessed that I needed stiff, I wouldn't have figured out the shaft weight, length, lie etc. by myself.

If your swing speed etc. is more typical beginner it's probably not so useful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭wonga77

Anyone had the MOT or custom fit at American Golf? Im up in Cork next week and might try it.

Im only playing a few short years but down to 10 and using standard second hand ap2 irons I bought online. I always wondered if a fitting might benefit me as I am 6ft 2 and have a fast enough swing.

Have read great things about foregolf but its a fair drive from where I am

• Subscribers Posts: 16,564 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Got fitted with Kenny early this year, very pleased, standard enough fitting but I had a good idea what I was looking for. Really just wanted expert opinion to back it up. We landed where I thought we would but it was great to have the numbers and the expert back up to give confidence in it. An hour was tight enough for an iron fit only trying a couple of models and a few shafts and looking at gapping onto rest of set. So I’d narrow things down a bit before you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Waesfjord

Be interested t hear back on how you got on. I have a voucher for fitting and having a driver & fairway wood fitting in a couple of weeks.

I've a similar set-up. 2nd hand 9degree stiff shaft G-10 driver which behaves well (enough) and plenty long. However as 15years old technology and non custom fit, I'm interested to see what a new driver might offer. Never liked my fairway wood (4W stiff G10) and avoid using as long enough off tee to do so, so interested to see if I can get a fairway wood that I like and use.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭bamayang

Identical to me really. I love my 3- wood now.

So to update from my fitting with Kenny. I was very impressed, an enjoyable experience overall for sure. Did not feel under an pressure at any stage.

My fitting basically turned into a lesson. I had been aware that I needed to make changes in my swing but decided to go ahead with the fitting regardless. Kenny fitted me for clubs but recommended that I work on what I needed to change first. He still gave the recommendation of clubs and said that it was up to me weather I wanted to buy them or not. He advised that worst case scenario, if they needed to be tweaked after I made my swing changes then it would be no problem. All that being said, I think I am going to wait, tough to commit that much money (€1,500) when changes could be required down the line.

I got an email from Kenny at the end with the specs of the clubs that were recommended. I didn't get the trackman data from the fitting which I would have liked. Overall, an extremely positive experience, and good value at €80 for an hour in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Thats what a fitting should be, a good fitter will not fit around a swing fault without telling you and putting the onus on you to decide if you want to buy or not. and they will help you work on the swing fault. Thats why i think for my next fitting i want to get 2 fittings. one by a pro one by a fitting house!

Was fitting for full bag? Or what did the €1,500 cover?

Ya absolutely. He could have definitely told me what I wanted and got a sale but he didn't, which I appreciated.

That €1,500 figure was for 4 iron to gap wedge. It was just an iron fitting, had planned to get a second category in if possible but obviously the way the fitting went we didn't do anything else in the hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭blue note

What clubs are you thinking of?

• Advertisement

€1,500 is a nice chunk alright for irons. Suppose with gap wedge included it's better. Still though you'd have to be certain you're happy.

Advertisement