Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

License renewal with change of address

Options
  • 02-01-2021 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

I recently had a change of address, I bought my own house and have yet to install a safe. My shotgun is currently at my previous address locked away in a safe with family, the only other with access to the safe is my father whom I shared the safe with.
    I left in my renewal form with a note taped to the section concerning other places the firearm would be stored and told them the situation, that it was remaining at that address where it was safe until I install a safe at my own address.
    Does anyone think this will be an issue?
    I went to buy a safe the other day and they were completely sold out but he's to ring me in a few days when they're back in.
    Its my first time renewing the license and with the change of address I wasn't sure whether or not I needed to provide proof of the new address so I brought along a few letters from the likes of FBD etc. and asked the garda at the desk did he need to take a copy of the new address and he stared at me like I had two heads, he eventually scribbled out my address on the very first page (my old address) and jotted down the new one?? The page that just says "Renewal of firearm certificate, my name and address, firearm cert no: xxxxx will expire on...."
    This shouldn't cause any problems should it?
    Also the area I'm living in now is an estate in a town, the land I have permission to shoot on is my fathers approx 7km away, I'm not a member of any range etc, if this renewal goes through I was hoping to get a rifle for pest control at my fathers land and eventually join a range.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Jamky wrote: »
    This shouldn't cause any problems should it?

Doubt it.

Change of address is pretty standard stuff. You've done everything you can and then some so i wouldn't worry.

If the license comes out with the old address on it just use an FCA2 form and complete section 1 ONLY with your previous details on the left and new details (address) on the right side then submit it.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Jamky

Thanks for that reply. Was just worried they'd question the need for the gun given where I currently live now but saying that I do know a few people who live in similar arrangements and only fire 5-10 shots a year at pheasants and have never been refused renewal.
    I could've possibly got the safe elsewhere but I'm getting a nice discount buying the safe and starting the purchase of the rifle with the same gunshop so I'd rather stick with him. If there's an issue they can inspect the safe at my old address (they never did within the last 3 years anyway) and if necessary inspect my new safe once installed.

If you have the renewal gone off already then just wait to see what happens. It'll go one of three ways:
    1. They'll want to inspect the safe at the new house in which case your application will be held up until its installed
    2. They'll check to make sure the gun is still stored securely in the old address but hold up the application until you are ready at the new address
    3. They accept the gun is securely stored and issue the license at which point you leave the gun in the old address until you get the safe and are ready to move the gun to the new address.
    I wouldn't be concerned. They're [AGS] not out to catch you out. Worse case scenario the application is held up a little until you're sorted at the new house, but it'll come through [the license] regardless.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Jamky

Renewal went through without a hitch, got the letter in the post today, just have to make it to the post office now

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Heavy handed

There pretty slow in my case. I put in for 3 amendments to have my new address entered. While they were been processed one of them was due for renewal so they rang and posted it to my new address. Got that one squared away and registered to my new place. The other two are still registered to my old address despite the forms going in back in October last.

• Advertisement

Congrats.

When the license comes through, the actual license and not the paid grant, and you have the new house set up to store the firearm(s) just use the FCA2 as outlined above and do the change of address.

Advertisement