Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Don't worry lads. There'll be plenty of "unlucky Connacht great showing" if we get any media coverage. Wilkins, Sexton, Muldoon and Fardy should be under serious pressure from the wider public. This is nowhere near good enough. I'm not expecting titles or cups but Christ above they should be able to at least win one of those tight games without silly mistakes costing us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

Now that's just harsh. Yep I'm gutted but that was better than last weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭StevenToast

This is connacht of 20 years ago...

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 17,321 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

To be fair to Jackman he went through them for a shortcut during the week after the Lions game. Said it was the worst performance all season by any Irish side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

Last week is no yardstick to measure anything on.

Look at the season overall, it's been a shambles. I hate saying it but its a fact. Seriois questions need to be asked top to bottom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 lavrenti

Warriors like Prendergast and Hurley-Langton deserve better. Any of Forde or Hawkshaw at 10 would've worked better. We cannot continue with Carty at 10, and yet he's still there. Unbelievable. Like last week results are with us. Edinburgh have lost to the Sharks with no bonus point and the Ospreys are beating the Lions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Ospreys beating Lions 36 -21 shows how poor Connacht were last week.

This a hard season to take onboard. But I think sometimes you need to fail to allow change. As was pointed out a long time ago we were very lucky to get top 8 last year. It has held Wilkins in a job for this year.

But let it be said. His guidance is clueless, his media interactions are nothing short of an embarrassment.

So he must bite the bullet. Else Connacht has another year of pain in the offing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

How is it that Leinster and Munster have their internationals back but Connacht didn't? Surely that's not a coaching decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Bundee is apparently carrying a knock and Finlay and his partner just had a new baby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭franglan

Story of supporting Connacht for as long as I can remember. so flaky and bow under pressure at the death more than not. Big performance here and there, but this is a stable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

halfbacks are at crisis point for Connacht

If any province needs a NIQ in that position right now it is Connacht (Ulster don’t deserve it - Doak at 10 madness)

I’ve been a Carty believer but unfortunately it is time. Contract is up next season. Hawkshaw is not a 13 and at this point he should be given a shot at 10.

Wilkins must prioritise accountability for these performances e.g. Benetton endgame management and defending out wide.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Why don't they have Carty play 10 with someone like Forde or Hawkshaw with all kicking duties. Carty can't kick from hand or at goal and it costs us badly. Also Hawkshaw is not a 13 and that needs to stop. Wilkins is a charlatan and has been out of his depth for some time now. The constant rotation I feel stops the partnerships developing. If it was my choice I'd cut Wilkins and get Carolan back with the existing backroom team. Hes on his 3rd year with Glasgow now. We have a great squad bar the 2 10s and should be offering far more than what currently is being shown.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,191 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I'd give Jennings and Hawkshaw the 15 shirt for the remainder. Either one could probably step up. They also should give Tector a call?

Always felt the pivotal moment for Connacht rugby happened so many years ago. The signing of Boshoff meaning AJ had to leave as you can't have two NIQs in the same position. And for Boshoff to suddenly feel homesick and leaving. And then spending years on years trying to fit Jack into a position he simply didn't have the overall game for.

Credit to Andy Friend for bringing in so many quality players during his tenure while at the same time this team was harbouring a disfunctional out half and more recently a scrum half would have you pull your hair out with his slow play. An elephant in the room for some time now.

At the same time there are kudos to be provided. Wilkins and Ruane have managed to retain the core of our quality players which is an achievement considering our issues.

Moving forward we will likely see Tiernan pack it in. I see no point in him staying any further. He has seen all the highs and lows so while he is playing great rugby I'm sure he can see there is no point in continuing at Connacht

Likewise there are players like Tom Farrell and Tom Daly at centre who know they need to leave. And I suspect we will see Denis retire also.

Moving forward it would be best to see Forde at 10, Jennings at 15, maybe McDonald at 9. But most of all it would be nice to see some quality coaching.

We are just in a limbo situation at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭ShineyShiney

I think we need to find a 9.

Jack is fine, played really well yesterday and captained well except for the 3 kick errors which we definitely can't afford.

Yeah Jack was at his best and his worst. And his worst costs the game

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Raffi Quirke would be a good pickup for any province. Only 6 months older than Matt Devine but has 50+ caps for Sale and 2 for England.

My point is his kicking may have cost the game, so let someone else kick, but also looks at the good aspects jack brings in other areas where he is streets ahead of JJ.

I'd have Forde kick for the rest of the season.

Cooney ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭kita99

Do you imagine the half empty Dexcom stadium after a few years, then no both Hansen and Predergast would leave Connacht?

Lasisi signing on a two year deal according to a poster on Leinsterfans who is usually a very reliable source.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Signing as a loosehead I’d assume?

In truth that's one of my biggest concerns. So we got thrashed by an SA team in Galway a week ago. And after all the international games I expected a huge crowd. But there wasn't. The Clan had lots of folks but lots of space at the same time.

Building a big fluck off stadium is maybe not what we need at the moment. Building a competitive team might be more realistic.

Connacht rugby has really never had a huge fan base. You should build it as such appropriately.

The like of Scotstoun is perfect. It's homely. As compared to the monstrosity Connacht plan to build. A big stand that we don't have the fans to fill.

If Wilkins doesn't kill the atmosphere with his rubbish teams then the new development will double kill any fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

Realistically Connacht need to offer some level of proper seating. The Clan Stand has its charm and its a god send for the fans who stood in the rain for years but realistically you're charging people good money to stand for 2-3 hours, get a poor view of the game from a height that isn't elevated enough to give you proper perspective and where even if you find a good spot someone not significantly taller just has to stand a step below you to make it difficult to see much. Also you have the routine of people trying to navigate their way through the stands with food or multiple plastic glasses of piss which is painful for the person coming through and those trying to watch the game.

This isn't to mention the hundreds of people that have to stand behind the two goals and routinely get soaked/frozen while paying top dollar for the privilege.

Some people like to stand but having the option to sit is imperative.

It's not a cheap night going to watch Connacht and we need to improve the experience.

I agree on building a competitive team though. Signing Wilkins on a 3 year deal was lunacy and i have no faith things will improve next season. People have so much choice now that they aren't going to turn up for the sake of it.

Even when Friend was here it was very inconsistent and frustrating at times but we were usually good to watch at least. This season has been awful tbh. We racked up a few wins post world cup which we've been living off since really but it's not been enjoyable going to the Sportsground this season from my point of view. Its felt more like a duty to go rather than feeling anyway excited and in the last couple of games the turgid displays have caught up with us and we've finally ran out of road.

I hope we can turn it around starting in Pau but if I was a player that was looking at Connacht as a potential destination to advance their career I'd be running a country mile away from the current setup.

I'm not sure but that would make the most sense to me, looking at the age profile on either side of the scrum.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭CowboyTed

Seriously don't know…

Think he a a great bench player in that he covers so much but at Outside Center when you have Tom Farrell, Ralston, or Tom Daly at 1st and Cathal Forde at 2nd (might be his place in future with Bundee/Gavin inside)

Carty is far better than JJ… Carty at least runs the lines…

Should Hawshaw or Forde be kicking? Maybe but that doesn't make them out halves..

We at least tried to show invention last week but they have gone back a long way since December in attack…

We need a proper passing out half or we better get used to that Lions game… At the momnet we have only one that I can see… Hawshaw is a better passer than JJ IMHO… Forde could be anything but you would have to invest time with him in that position…

We don't have the luxury of picking a Ross Byrne type player at out half a dn getting our pack to pummel them into submission and byt the time our 10 gets it the other team is on the back foot.

We have to be more inventive, we don't even have the pack of the other provinces when at full strength. Just look at the other packs and how many have been called in for International consideration.

So our plan should be a versatile pack that can do the basics and get around the field with a backline with inventiveness and high ball skills, that would be our aim… We ain't South Africa..

• Advertisement

Current 8th place team (Ulster) are on 35 points after 13 games… Bit of maths ((35/13)*18)= 48.. So lets make it 48 to make last 8, same as last year..

Connacht are presently on 34…. So we need 14+ points

Right we have left with needed points:

Zebre (Home) 5

Dragons (Away) 4

Munster (Away) 1

Stormers (Home) 4

Leinster (Away) 0

I am sure it won't be like this but that is where you thinking around… Leinster might throw the game at the end of the season, Stromers could win away… All possibilities..

Advertisement