Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gemma O'Doherty - Part 2 - Read OP for mod warning (06/01)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭200mg

True or you wanted the farm was another was it not.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Forcing someone into a psychiatric assessment because they promote a generally displeasing social and political ideology is (in this day and age) off the fcuking wall.

And hopefully it stays that way.

Christ on a bike. WT actual F.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,957 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

She stopped being mentally sound years ago. We don't want to go back to the 1950s but Flaneur does have an arguable point.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,117 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

I never said it was a good thing. In this case, the woman is not with it at all.

It’s a big question. Should people like her just be shunned because she’s more than likely mentally unwell, or should society attempt to rehabilitate her?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,163 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

If she is not a threat to herself or others it is nobody else's business what she thinks. Talking about rehabilitation because she has **** opinions is far right stuff

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

"Rehabilitate". And who in society is gonna make that call? It's absurd to suggest this: unless someone is hurting themselves or others, or are incapable of taking care of themselves at a basic level, the state should NOT have the power to incarcerate people. We've had plenty of that kind of thing in the past when contrary opinions were "mental illness" or indeed homosexuality and other undesired "deviances".

O'Doherty's opinions are gross and repugnant but it's up to her family and herself to intervene, not the state. What she deserves is to be dragged through the courts for her various illegal and defamatory actions, not sectioning.

Ok, I take my comment back.

You’re both 100% right, people shouldn’t be sectioned for opinions, only if they are a danger to themselves or others. And it was a wrong and shameful moment of our past. Indeed, my family had personal history with this happening.

Back in the past, her rants would have been confined to whatever passer by’s heard as they passed quickly to avoid her. The trouble is there is no such luxury with the internet. Not only has she somewhere to post her abhorrent views (which she should have!) but she will no doubt be egged on and further encouraged. Now she has gone down the rabbit hole celebrating all things Hitler, I have no idea how further down she can go, but I’m sure she’ll get there.

Soon her grip on reality (however tenuous it is now), will be loosened until there will be an intervention whether that’s criminal or medical, we’ll see. By everything I heard her family had enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,815 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

How is Gemma "anti fascist" when she has promoting fascism regularly for the last 4 or 5 years.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

But sure the NP youth also go around quoting Mein Kampf

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 12,484 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

On one of her livestreams a whie ago she called for her followers to round up a few hundred thousand people, overthrow the government and install her and John Waters as dictators.

That actually happened.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Fascists rarely see themselves as thus: witness the New Flavour versions loudly consuming the right wing of America; it's all freedom this and anti-woke that, wrapped in the cloak of ultra-nationalism and death-cult style narratives (which are very much Fascist trappings). Same with racists: they rarely think themselves as racist - sure they have black friends! - just some "misguided" faux intellectual idea of ethnicity being the same as nationality (not that there aren't just actual, unapologetic racists of course)

Gemma is probably not directly a danger to anyone but I would argue she is a Stochastic terrorist. I could easily see a situation where she calls for action and someone goes out and carries out a violent action.

Terry Pratchet

Never heard that phrase before. I’m glad I know it now though. Thanks.

Possibly but that is not a reason to section somebody and "rehabilitate" them.

Terry Pratchet

BBC article documenting the campaign of abuse against Edel Campbell after she sued O Doherty's newspaper 'The Irish Light' after it claimed her son died because of the Covid vaccine. What an odious mob they really are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭Nuts102

Poor women who's head is gone and needs help.

The be kind crew are in showing their true colours.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

The what now?

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Hodger

They say a picture can paint many words; and as you can see the big stack of newspapers behind gemma in this photo which leads to question how is her newspaper funded ? does gemma pay for the printing herself or does gemma rely on donations to fund her newspaper ?

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭I.R.Y.E.D

Its essentially the Irish edition of a English conspiracy theory and associated shíte rag, that has the occasional "article" picked up by the likes of gript, so apart from the usual suckers, funding from groups on Telegram.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

You are not going to last long I reckon..... could be entertaining

It's been a long time since the conspiracy types were entertaining

Jet fuel can't melt steel beams!! 🙄😆

Been a long time since I've read some 911 conspiracy; those were the days.

In before the mods patrol the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,021 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Where is all her money coming from?

I read online shes worth a couple of million.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,021 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Settlement from Independent Newspapers. Presumably mortgage cleared, and an inheritance from her late husband. Then - grift. Lots and lots of grift via YouTube and elsewhere. "Oh, look, I've been defamed and my civil liberties have been infringed, I need to go to court, please donate!" and lots of gullible people on social media. The other grifters quickly got dumped, lest they detract from her own little pot (that Dee one with the crutch, for example).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,292 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Yanks probably, lots of right-wing headbangers sit on a lot of cash and see this as supporting their own.

Not of this parish I'm not. Just an ordinary punter who has to adhere to the rules like anyone else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I saw Bill Badbody picked up a copy and posted his reaction online.

Full double-page spread on how the jews are controlling everything.

Seems familiar!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement