Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What saying out there do you think are a load of Bull?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

wiggle16 wrote: »
    Well yeah but usually the people who say this to you aren't well versed in causality :pac:

When your life is falling down around you and some ninny says "everything happens for a reason", yeah they're not talking about cause and effect, they're talking about some vague notion of providence or karma.... and that grates on me something desperate.

They might as well be saying "everything happens for a terrifyingly unknowable reason" and expect it to be comforting.

Nah you're too literal and your own previous interpretation is biasing how you perceive it to be. Everyone knows inherently that life is chaos, but things happen as they have to happen, hence they happen for a reason. Think about it in terms of a breakup. 'It happened for a reason', where clearly it did because you would still be in a relationship with them if there wasn't.

'Life is suffering' I think life is suffering but humans have a way of dealing with tragedy and finding strength and courage in the face of it. It's not that life isn't suffering but the saying on the surface appears bleak, when in actual fact, by embracing the hardship of life we can overcome it and truly enjoy the experience of living.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Feenix

AMKC wrote: »
    For me its,

"There is someone out there for everyone"

Its utter bullsh,it. No there is not.

I am on this planet 40 odd years now and still have not met that one special person.

Maybe it's me maybe I am too odd or too weird but you no what I don't care because that is me and if a person does not get that part of me than it's just not going to happen. No point in hiding I have been hiding long enough no more I tell you no more.

Also " Don't come running to me if you fall of that wall and break a leg' has to be one of the worst saying ever. Course they are not going to run if they just broke a leg lol.

Always thought that saying was for when a fatty or a total bellend finally got a ride as opposed to someone meeting a soulmate.

I dont know if you're being serious or not in the last paragraph.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,766 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Greyfox wrote: »
    The customer is always right. Hate that stupid phrase with a burning passion

The customer usually doesnt have a clue which is why he is paying you the professional to do it for him.

I think this was probably true up until recently..
    For whatever reason the ties that held social relationships and brought people together have been damaged, hence the uptick in the single population..
    I think this will be very damaging in time..

Nonsense there is nothing suddenly wrong with the ties of society. Its just we dont have to marry the first person we ride and stay with them forever any more thankfully

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Snails pace

A friend says "positivity is the best option"

Being positive the whole time is nearly as bad as being depressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭growleaves

"Never ascribe to malice that which can be explained by incompetence."

Reverse this and you have the truth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭growleaves

AMKC wrote: »
    Also " Don't come running to me if you fall of that wall and break a leg' has to be one of the worst saying ever. Course they are not going to run if they just broke a leg lol.

S/b

"Don't come wheeling to me if you end up in a wheelchair"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

"It takes more muscles to frown than to smile" or whatever that saying is, pure lies and utilized exclusively by bellends.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭ruwithme

"Hard work never killed anyone " maybe not directly,but it helped shorten many life's in the distant past through ill health from hard work related conditions that developed over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

You weren't in the right place at the right time.

What if I stood in the one spot continuously, would something good happen then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Stay safe

• Advertisement

Forgive forever

• Registered Users Posts: 16,120 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Papal bull is a load of bull.

They're in a better place.

Please go and off yourself to a better place!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭wiggle16

"He wants to have his cake and eat it too"

I have thought about it and thought about it all my life every time I have heard but I still don't get it.... can anyone PLEASE explain to me how this makes sense??

What is the point of having a cake if you can't eat it?

What is so outrageous about eating a cake??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭mikemac2

“No good deed goes unpunished”

Found a guys wallet on the street. I tracked him down on Facebook but he never read my messages. Emailed some recruitment agents on business cards to call him and get in contact with me. I stood in a wet dark train station for 20 minutes for a rendezvous and he got back his wallet

The head gasket on my car blew one week later

Fook you karma :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,882 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

mikemac2 wrote: »

Fook you karma :mad:

Anything relating to karma.

Kunts don't always get their come uppance and bad sh1t happens to good people.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Notmything

"to be honest" nope I won't lie this time (but I probably will)

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

Sam Hain wrote: »
    "It takes more muscles to frown than to smile" or whatever that saying is, pure lies and utilized exclusively by bellends.

Usually by people who think "the customer is always right"

Any time someone tells me "it doesn't hurt to smile" I tell them I am incapable of smiling due to muscle damage from a car accident. Always makes them slink away

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭mikemac2

“I call a spade a spade, I tell it like it is”

Usually said by some bitter hateful barstool expert about to make themselves feel better by putting someone else down

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

wiggle16 wrote: »
    "He wants to have his cake and eat it too"

I have thought about it and thought about it all my life every time I have heard but I still don't get it.... can anyone PLEASE explain to me how this makes sense?

It took me a long time to get it too and I still think it's a dumb saying.

How it works is that after you've eaten your cake you no longer have any cake. To want to 'have a cake and eat it' is impossible and is a (bad) metaphor for unrealistic expectations and/or failing to understand actions have consequences.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭YellowLead

I think this was probably true up until recently..
    For whatever reason the ties that held social relationships and brought people together have been damaged, hence the uptick in the single population..
    I think this will be very damaging in time..

Some of the uptick is people being too fussy and looking for somebody out of their league.
    NOT criticising - each to their own, I just think it was less of a thing decades ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,882 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Schooldays, best days of your life. Load of cock.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Harika

Schooldays, best days of your life. Load of cock.

Anyone who says that is an utterly boring adult

Advertisement