Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you lived 90% or more in the same 20 mile radius?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Edgware wrote: »
    That would explain the high level of inbreeding in Ireland, cousins unknowingly riding their cousins

Fairly bad down here in Kerry. Where I'm from east of Castleisland there's a whole road of families where they are all interbred. You can also tell as they all have the hapsburg jaw and they are fairly ugly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

Lived all my life no more than 6 miles from where i was born. My siblings the same my children the same. We are some boring ****es.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭arsebiscuits82

Built our house 550km from my home, my wife on the other hand is 50m from hers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭sgthighway

Most people from Mayo live in Galway. That is why Mayo will never win an All Ireland. Galway would collapse if Mayo won. Plenty of employment here when I finished school so most of us stayed near home. The few who head off elsewhere might meet a partner and settle in their home town.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

live in dublin, but not the same "area" as my parents - still within 20km though

I've lived in australia for a year

My wife is more than 20km from her home town and she's also lived in 2 other different countries

my siblings both live within 500m of my parents

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,561 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Lived in the canaries for @4yrs and have travelled a lot since for both work and pleasure.

International travel is very much part of the Irish/European psyche, whereas in the US only 42% of the population hold a passport.
    The argument is usually that the US is so big, they don't need to travel abroad for beach/snow/nature whatever.

The thing is tho, that often the best part of travelling is encountering cultural differences and learning to adjust to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,882 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Fairly bad down here in Kerry. Where I'm from east of Castleisland there's a whole road of families where they are all interbred. You can also tell as they all have the hapsburg jaw and they are fairly ugly.

Went out in Castleisland once, it was like a P.T. Barnum show.
    That whole north west cork/east kerry/west limerick area is depressing and gloomy even on a summer day.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,081 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

17y in Donegal
    4y in Dublin at college
    4y in Donegal again but more than 20miles away
    4y abroad in Asia and N America
    7y back in Dublin again

Id move back to Donegal tomorrow if i could, but economic and personal factors limit that. I'd guess a large percentage of those who stayed within 20miles are in the cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Have a look at the photos of Blasket island. The same face all the time.

Someone involved in r getting babies adopted overseas once assured me that mental handicap in Ireland is largely due to inbreeding, that when babies were adopted to eg the US and then came back they married close relatives without realising.

Interesting thread but I don't qualify... Been here 20 years though.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The three homes that account for the majority of my life, same postcode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

I never liver inside a radius of 1.000 km of where I was born. Most of my life lived at least 5.000 km from it.

saabsaab wrote: »
    Saw an article of life in the USA. It said that most people lives nearly all their lives within 20 miles of where they were born. Is the same true here? I know some have worked abroad for a while. Not talking about college or a week or three on holidays etc.

I'm from the USA and that doesn't sound right. Moving to a different city or state to start a new life is quite common.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Graces7 wrote: »
    Have a look at the photos of Blasket island. The same face all the time.

PS re eg Blasket and other offshore islands. They had little choice as transport was by small boat and our winters are harsh. Hence the intermarrying.

When I was in Orkney, talking to a lady there, she mentioned that the postman was " sib"; ie related to her. They knew all their inter relations and were very careful knowing the dangers. Family trees were very important

And this probably accounts for the prevalence of MS in Orkney. They are researching still and it is sure that there is a genetic factor.

Apologies for taking the thread slightly sideways. Population issues are fascinating.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,823 ✭✭✭saabsaab

sgthighway wrote: »
    Most people from Mayo live in Galway. That is why Mayo will never win an All Ireland. Galway would collapse if Mayo won. Plenty of employment here when I finished school so most of us stayed near home. The few who head off elsewhere might meet a partner and settle in their home town.
    Maybe it's the lack of local jobs or opportunities but Mayo people seem to move out of it more that other counties it seems. How many other counties have a 'Mayomens association' in every area they move into?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Left home place aged 17. Haven't been living in its vicinity since. Living back in Ireland now but a couple of hours from home place.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Graces7 wrote: »
    PS re eg Blasket and other offshore islands. They had little choice as transport was by small boat and our winters are harsh. Hence the intermarrying.

When I was in Orkney, talking to a lady there, she mentioned that the postman was " sib"; ie related to her. They knew all their inter relations and were very careful knowing the dangers. Family trees were very important

And this probably accounts for the prevalence of MS in Orkney. They are researching still and it is sure that there is a genetic factor.

Apologies for taking the thread slightly sideways. Population issues are fascinating.

Tristan da Cunha is another great place for that. Astma runs rife apparently

Advertisement