Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you lived 90% or more in the same 20 mile radius?

Options
  • 27-12-2020 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭

Saw an article of life in the USA. It said that most people lived nearly all their lives within 20 miles of where they were born. Is the same true here? I know some have worked abroad for a while. Not talking about college or a week or three on holidays etc.

Have you left where where you were born (more than 20 miles) 146 votes

Never left the area (20 miles). Except holidays education etc.
    59% 87 votes
    Left Ireland for a time. More than 4 months or so.
    17% 25 votes
    Live abroad now
    19% 28 votes
    Live in different part of Ireland.
    4% 6 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭ShadyAcres

saabsaab wrote: »
    Saw an article of life in the USA. It said that most people lives nearly all their lives within 20 miles of where they were born. Is the same true here? I know some have worked abroad for a while. Not talking about college or a week or three on holidays etc.
    Lived all over Ireland...North, South East and West.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭robinbird

i'd say it would be less in Ireland. Most people would live most of their lives within 5 miles of where they were born (excluding college, time abroad, jail time etc )

• Registered Users Posts: 12,421 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

ShadyAcres wrote: »

Dessie O'Hare?

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭robinbird

ShadyAcres wrote: »

So have I. So have a lot of people. I still ended up about 3 miles from where I was born.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

The only people this would apply to in Ireland would largely be Dubs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

Loved abroad a bit but bought a house around a mile to the family home. Ties to the community make it a no brainer and being in Dublin, its convenient from a career perspective. I would say a lot of people are like this but for a while I never thought I'd come back to Ireland at all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Was born in Holles Street. Live slightly under 20 miles from it. Where I've lived before was even closer to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Live more than 20 miles from where I was born and raised. Still live in the same county though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

Yep.

Not that I haven't traveled a bit, but the promises of moving are outweighed by the costs and bs involved, have various family ties and responsibilities.

I could up stakes and do the 'uhhh i had a big job in Manhattan and then i lived in a rare tree in Borneo what did you do with your life' thing, but its just not worth it for now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

I get around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,226 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Just checked, from the house I grew up in (rural Donegal) to the furthest I moved from that house in Derry, is 22 miles away.

I'm now back in Donegal but still bang on 22 miles from my childhood home.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I would think a lot of Irish people would live most of their lives near where where they were born but boards people may be more mobile. Then again if you lived say in a big county like Cork there wouldn't be a need to leave it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Born in Dublin. Live about 10 miles as the crow flies from my childhood home. So do most of my friends.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

That US 90% seems odd as there is far more of a tradition of going far, far away for university in the US and far more than 10% do third level there.

I've worked abroad, worked in a field role in Ireland that means I've been to nearly every town and village in the country; used to do 2-3 month holidays where my Dad is from - but I do still live within a 2km, let alone 20 mile, radius of where I went to school. 22km from where I was born.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

There's probably a huge portion of the US population that don't move around much but you never meet them because they're not the ones that travel. Any American 25+ I met while backpacking would always tell me they were from New York or LA but once you asked a few more questions it turns out they'd just been living there a few years and were actually from somewhere like Missouri.

They have a culture of dropping everything and moving to a city halfway across the country for a job offer. I wouldn't take a job that I couldn't commute to in 45 minutes or less, nevermind move city for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

As the crow flies, I'm over 400 miles from where I was born. Been here most of my life but have lived all over the place

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

That would explain the high level of inbreeding in Ireland, cousins unknowingly riding their cousins

• Registered Users Posts: 3,544 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

My parents grew up 6 or 7 miles apart and moved to my mothers town when married.

I live in a town in-between those 2 towns about 3 miles from each so 3 miles where I grew up.

My fiances parents live 10 mins walk from our house now.

My brother lives a 5 min walk from my house.

My sister is a 10 min drive.

Of let's say my 10 closest friends....5 live in the town we were brought up in. 4 live 10 mins away. 1 lives 30km away and we tell him he's mad living so far away.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Saw this comment in relation to some US state.
    'Three types I've noticed about people who never moved from our hometown.
    The first group was the bright kids who went to college locally or straight into a job. They tend to have comfortable middle class lives, are well read, active in life.
    The second are the ones who never change. Same social circles, same drama who believe hometown is the World. They sometimes think people who left have superior attitudes.
    Third, and possibly the saddest. Those who stayed waiting on the American dream that's no longer possible in a post industrial town. So they are frustrated with low paying jobs, and sad because of all the things they see others around them have experienced.'

• Registered Users Posts: 12,226 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Just checked, from the house I grew up in (rural Donegal) to the furthest I moved from that house in Derry, is 22 miles away.

I'm now back in Donegal but still bang on 22 miles from my childhood home.

Actually I spent the best part of a year based in Dundalk, but it was for work and I only lived there Monday to Friday so it doesn't count.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,243 ✭✭✭Cody montana

I literally live 1 minute from where I was born.

But I've lived in Dublin, Edinburgh, London and Australia.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

18 years at home
    3 years away at college
    1 year at home
    2.5 years away
    1.5 years at home
    10 years away
    2 years at home

So that works out at about 58% within 20 miles of home.

The other 42% was spread across 3 countries and 3 continents, happy enough to have bought back near home.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭NedNew2

Miles? What are they? I'll ask my grandfather.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,497 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Edgware wrote: »
    That would explain the high level of inbreeding in Ireland, cousins unknowingly riding their cousins

You've clearly never set foot in Dundalk, nothing unknowing about it around there :P

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Ireland is like The Hotel California. You can check out any time you like but you can never leave.
    I've heard stories of old lads who worked the sites in England almost their whole lives and when they retired they came back to Ireland even though some of them had no friends or family left here anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

In my experience the majority of people living in the country tend to end up living their lives very close to the family home, more so than people living in town. You get homebirds all over but in the country there are a lot of houses built on the family farm or next door to the family. Whole generations tend to be close to each other, so you have a family raised in one house and when the kids get older, they build their own house on the family site, get married and raise the kids there.
    Then the brothers and sisters often live either next door or just down the road, and you also see a lot of granny flats too in the country, with a main house built alongside a smaller, separate house for an ageing parent to see out their retirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Stoolbend

Apart from 20 weeks in Galway for FAS which was education I lived 19 1/2 years at home and 19 1/2 years about 500M down the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,337 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

L1011 wrote: »
    That US 90% seems odd as there is far more of a tradition of going far, far away for university in the US and far more than 10% do third level there.

It does seem pretty high. There's a lot of space in the US to move around in where everyone speaks the same language and work for many of the same employers.
    Half the population here lives around the city with most of the jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Have moved about 100 miles from where I started off. Still in same county though which is handy for the lockdowns

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭ceannbui

moved to Korea to teach about 20 years ago, returned to Ireland for a year and have been in Oman for over 10 years now. But will be moving home this summer to a house me and my partner recently bought, can't wait :)

Advertisement