Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Govt to fund Erasmus+ scheme for Northern Ireland students

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Mules

If they want to fund students in the north they'd be better off helping low income people. The erasmus thing strikes me as empty virtue signaling. As has been said, it will only help people who don't need financial help.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,477 ✭✭✭✭downcow

How does Erasmus work? Does it depend on what university you are in or your nationality?

I am assuming kids with british passports will be able to avail equally of this opportunity?

Mules wrote: »
    If they want to fund students in the north they'd be better off helping low income people. The erasmus thing strikes me as empty virtue signaling. As has been said, it will only help people who don't need financial help.

Spot on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I'm delighted that we as a country are doing so well economically that we can afford to help fund the education of students in another jurisdiction.

The UK is a wealthy first world country, they should be stepping up to the plate here not us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭votecounts

Great Idea, I've relations who will probably benefit from this so I am one sided. I pay a lot of taxes and the money spent on this could be spent on things a lot worse. North/South funding will continue for a long time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭votecounts

downcow wrote: »
    I am assuming kids with british passports will be able to avail equally of this opportunity?
    why wouldn't they? Do you want discrimination?

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭valor rorghulis

Ridiculous decision. Stormont executive should and most likely would pay for it. Guessing govt trying to out green the shinners is the cause

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

That magic money tree is great isn't it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭CtevenSrowder

votecounts wrote: »

Because my understanding is that Erasmus is only open to those whose countries are apart of the EU. Though I could be wrong. So those with a British passport wouldn't meet the criteria. And as such it wouldn't be discrimination.

votecounts wrote: »

quite the contrary - i don't know why you jumped there.
    I am just checking that British kids can avail of this wonderful gift from our neighbours. I would guess they can, but just checking if anyone can confirm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,298 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Irish government pledge to help irish students I don't see the problem to be honest. The rest of the UK doesn't care or even know the place exists so it's good we stepped up to help

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Irish government pledge to help irish students I don't see the problem to be honest. The rest of the UK doesn't care or even know the place exists so it's good we stepped up to help

Irish government pledge to help irish students in another jurisdiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,298 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Irish government pledge to help irish students in another jurisdiction.

Don't care. I know it's political more than practical but it's not their fault they are stuck in the UK and out of the EU so I'm glad we can help

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭E30M3

But the rest of the UK is putting in place a scheme for all UK students to travel worldwide to study?

Don't care. I know it's political more than practical but it's not their fault they are stuck in the UK and out of the EU so I'm glad we can help

Good on them breezy. I take this will also apply to Irish kids living anywhere else in the UK? (That is of course if their motive is purely to help Irish kids)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,037 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

E30M3 wrote: »
    But the rest of the UK is putting in place a scheme for all UK students to travel worldwide to study?

so they say, but lets face it, the scheme will in all likely hood be rubbish just like everything bumbling boris and his merry bunch of dippy dumfcuks touch.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭E30M3

so they say, but lets face it, the scheme will in all likely hood be rubbish just like everything bumbling boris and his merry bunch of dippy dumfcuks touch.

I think it would be useful to see it first rather than jump the gun?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭Big Ears

quite the contrary - i don't know why you jumped there.
    I am just checking that British kids can avail of this wonderful gift from our neighbours. I would guess they can, but just checking if anyone can confirm

RTE news had a report on it yesterday and that seems to be the case.
    Good on them breezy. I take this will also apply to Irish kids living anywhere else in the UK? (That is of course if their motive is purely to help Irish kids)

I believe it just applies to those in University on the island of Ireland.

There's a huge amount of people Worldwide who are capable of claiming Irish citizenship and we can't exactly be funding a load of Irish Americans to go on Erasmus or something to that effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

Bambi wrote: »
    Erasmus seems to be very big deal to a very small section of society.

Best thing I ever took part in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

Can't beat a bit of United Ireland opportunity for discount. We're getting there :-) , 26+6=1

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Trying to be neutral on this, I’d mention that the UK Government is allowing Irish students to have the same fees as British Uni students which allows anyone taking online courses significant savings, more than making up for Erasmus funding.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,510 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Not much gratitude on twitter from the prods for this when Colum Eastwood mentioned it, seeing as they don't want it it should be changed to only benefit those with Irish passports if they are determined to go ahead with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

You reckon boris will personally craft the new exchange programme?

Not much gratitude on twitter from the prods for this when Colum Eastwood mentioned it, seeing as they don't want it it should be changed to only benefit those with Irish passports if they are determined to go ahead with it.

We are the country in the world with the most equality legislation do I think you’ll find that won’t be possible. 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 68,499 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Get used to it, decade of demographic change at the current rate and we'll be paying for their entire deficit.

L1011 wrote: »
    Get used to it, decade of demographic change at the current rate and we'll be paying for their entire deficit.

You may just hope that the trend continues of more and more traditional nationalists declaring their wish to stay with the UK. Otherwise yous are all screwed as those from a traditional nationalist background will soon be in the majority. But don’t panic, as current polls would suggest your independence is as safe as a row of houses.

Advertisement