Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2021 Last Person Standing January Quiz

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

EN we made it man!!!!

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Morning all

According to the triathletes training bible how many hours a year should you train for a sprint triathlon?

What’s a sprint triathlon?
    750m swim, 20k cycle, 5k run

The book gives a range, I’m looking for the midpoint of that range

Edit: I should point out that this is not for professionals, it’s for ordinary people who want to train for a race/races

Good luck

Who are these weirdos that willingly put themselves through such torture? I consider it akin to an olympic gold medal when I convince myself to get on the exercise bike for 30 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,813 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

I could cycle 20km today
    I could run 5km with a reasonable amount of training
    I can't really swim

So it's the average of zero, some and infinity, simple :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I could cycle 20km today
    I could run 5km with a reasonable amount of training
    I can't really swim

So it's the average of zero, some and infinity, simple :D

At least there's an upper limit to this :D

• Advertisement

Well there's a hard upper limit of training 24 hours a day every single day of the year. So yeah, that's something at least.

I suppose if you factor in sleep as an option it reduces the range a bit :pac:

I suppose if you factor in sleep as an option it reduces the range a bit :pac:
    That's loser's talk :p

So the correct answer was 400 hours

Five of you were very close

Two of you were not

Green&Red wrote: »
    So the correct answer was 400 hours

Five of you were very close

Two of you were not

Over an hour a day??

e65.gif

I was not close!

• Advertisement

Over an hour a day??

e65.gif

I was not close!

You were not

BUT you were low, some people thought you'd train everyday for 3 hours

Molly is walking a fine line these days but we say goodbye to Trigger

Electric Nitwit 150
    BuileBeag 300
    wrestlemaniac 375
    Shorty69664 400
    rainbowtrout 500
    Mollyb60 1000
    Trigger 1234

Wow, Trigger takes training seriously :D

Wow, Trigger takes training seriously :D

Must be an Olympic triathlete...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,538 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Woops.. I over estimated at 3 hours a day :pac:

Cheers for the game Green, happy to get this far

Trigger wrote: »
    Woops.. I over estimated at 3 hours a day :pac:

Cheers for the game Green, happy to get this far

That's what I did too. Just rounded down and you rounded up.

I apparently love living dangerously.

(I do not. I am VERY risk adverse)

Morning

Down to five after today

In 1980 how many women with an Irish address had an abortion in Britian?

Abortion? I thought there wasn’t going to be any questions on ‘darker topics’

Abortion? I thought there wasn’t going to be any questions on ‘darker topics’

I lied

I lied

That’s grand. I’m out. I don’t want to be involved in a quiz that trivialises issues like abortion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭Clarabel

Like many other questions it's raised knowledge and discussion.

I get that abortion is a sensative topic but I think there interesting and valid questions.

Would a woman in the 80s not have been sufficiently shamed that she wouldn't have given an Irish address?

• Advertisement

That’s grand. I’m out. I don’t want to be involved in a quiz that trivialises issues like abortion.

Not sure what part of the question trivialised it

So 3,320 was the correct answer, I was surprised it was so high, I'd imagine lots of Irish women put an English address. Solid answers from Buile & EN

wrestlemaniac 499
    Mollyb60 1,000
    BuileBeag 2,700
    Electric Nitwit 3,000
    Shorty69664 6,000
    rainbowtrout

Rainbowtrout eliminated

giphy.gif

Down to the famous five, back tomorrow to trivialise more stuff

Sorry for the delay guys

According to Kevin Dundin how many grams of fish bones and heads should you use to make two litres of fish stock?

fishheads.jpg

Lovely. Guessing Kevin Dundin is a celebrity chef? Never heard of him :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

Sorry for the delay guys

According to Kevin Dundin how many grams of fish bones and heads should you use to make two litres of fish stock?

Curious lurker here :D

So no googling is allowed, right? But would reading the back of a stock packet to determine how much meat was used to make a cube be allowed as a ball park guide (not even sure if they have that info on them but hey :D ) ?

Or what about questions that the answer might be better estimated if you knew the population of the country in a particular decade. If you were to phone a friend or otherwise look up the population as a basis for your calculation would that be cheating?

I read the one about the 1x100kg lift vs. 7 smaller lifts and my mind collapsed ;)

ari101 wrote: »
    Curious lurker here :D

So no googling is allowed, right? But would reading the back of a stock packet to determine how much meat was used to make a cube be allowed as a ball park guide (not even sure if they have that info on them but hey :D ) ?

Or what about questions that the answer might be better estimated if you knew the population of the country in a particular decade. If you were to phone a friend or otherwise look up the population as a basis for your calculation would that be cheating?

I read the one about the 1x100kg lift vs. 7 smaller lifts and my mind collapsed ;)

Hey, pity you didn’t find it at the start, feel free to throw in a guess for the last few days

I would consider any form of research as dubious but as with any of these quizzes it’s based on honour. I would say that judging by the answers I’ve received there’s no research going on, anti-research it would seem some days

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

Hey, pity you didn’t find it at the start, feel free to throw in a guess for the last few days

I would consider any form of research as dubious but as with any of these quizzes it’s based on honour. I would say that judging by the answers I’ve received there’s no research going on, anti-research it would seem some days

Haha, hopefully some one will run another at some stage and I have my forum alert on so will see it.
    Honour it is, ok, no research at all :D
    I don't mind a good long winded guesstimation, but I do like when I have some reasonable starting point. I suppose the hope is some questions suit your general knowledge and some you guess lucky, and seemingly to always err low (unless it is a negative number?) ;)

I would say that judging by the answers I’ve received there’s no research going on, anti-research it would seem some days
    No one ever suspects the best cheat, it's an art :D

I have discussed the questions with my husband on most days but the answers are mine and I'm not doing any sort of research at all. Not even reading the back of a crisp packet or re-reading an article that I know for a fact has the answer in it.

• Advertisement

Answer in.. I'm sure I'll regret saying this but I'm feeling good about this question.

I've never made fish stock but I've made other kinds of stock. I'm sure it's much of a muchness.

Advertisement