Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2021 Last Person Standing January Quiz

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Just waiting on
    Bailebeag
    Electric Nitwit
    Kolido
    Sephiroth_dude
    wrestlemaniac

• Registered Users Posts: 10,886 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Ah, apologies...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,361 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Sorry G, pm sent :)

So the correct answer was 1

Theres a very interesting thread on the six PMs here. "All were men, all were Protestant, all were Orangemen, all were privately educated, all came from privileged backgrounds and all were from the UUP"

Ther first PM actually said "It would be rather interesting for historians of the future to compare a Catholic State launched in the South with a Protestant State launched in the North and to see which gets on the better and prospers the more."

Well they have ran the North into the ground

"At partition, the six counties accounted for 80% of the island’s industrial output. In contrast, exports of goods and services from RoI are now €282.4bn, while NI exports €10.1bn. While the North’s GDP is €43bn, the Republic’s is €324bn."

The only woman minister was the grandmother of the fifth PM, Major James Chichester-Clark

It looked like we were going to have a tie until the last answer in just pipped them, hard luck to Sephiroth_dude

rainbowtrout 2
    duffman13 2
    Mollyb60 5
    wrestlemaniac 6
    Trigger 7
    BuileBeag 8
    Shorty69664 9
    Kolido 10
    Zaph 12
    Electric Nitwit 12
    Sephiroth_dude 13

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Thanks G and R for running a great game.

*packs up all his belongings into his nap sack and heads off into the cruel world*

tenor.gif?itemid=12259711

BadGlisteningArrowcrab-small.gif

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,294 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

20gfq0.jpg

I actually nearly said zero, but then I gave the Orangemen what turned out to be far too much credit for being decent human beings!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

You have me to thank for you staying in it EN just remember that next time I enter one of your Peehs/Sheep games :pac: :pac:

Zaph wrote: »
    20gfq0.jpg

I actually nearly said zero, but then I gave the Orangemen what turned out to be far too much credit for being decent human beings!

Yeah, zero crossed my mind but I thought I'd put a buffer in :eek:

• Advertisement

You have me to thank for you staying in it EN just remember that next time I enter one of your Peehs/Sheep games :pac: :pac:
    you-saved-our-lives-we-are-eternally-grateful-gif.gif
    Zaph and I to Sephi :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,947 ✭✭✭duffman13

Zaph wrote: »
    20gfq0.jpg

I thought it was zero and said two for buffer to try not be miles off!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

duffman13 wrote: »
    I thought it was zero and said two for buffer to try not be miles off!

I was thinking along the same lines. But I figured it had to be more than zero otherwise it would sound like a trick question.

I was in an Orange Lodge in Derry about 10 years back. They do tours :D and I'm friends with the history teacher in school and she was bringing her Leaving Certs to Derry for two days as N. Ireland is on the course, so I was the other teacher. I think the oul lad that let us into the lodge was a bit bemused about all us Catholic southerners wanting a tour :pac:

When we finished (and to be fair it was interesting) we were in the Lodge meeting room. I can only describe it like a Masonic Lodge. They seem quite similar. Yer man was like 'any questions' and of course the students had none as they were probably just waiting to go shopping, I had loads of questions and I wanted to know if there were any women in Lodges. Which I got a roundabout answer to initially, but eventually it came down to a straight No, but they make the tea and sandwiches for fundraisers and marches etc. It does seem quite conservative so I wasn't expecting there to be a high number of woman MPs.

Green&Red wrote: »
    "At partition, the six counties accounted for 80% of the island’s industrial output. In contrast, exports of goods and services from RoI are now €282.4bn, while NI exports €10.1bn. While the North’s GDP is €43bn, the Republic’s is €324bn."

That's a shocking figure even when you scale up to allow for the size of the north v Ireland. No wonder the cost of living is so different up there. It would cost this country a fortune if a united Ireland is on the cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,587 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Delighted I didn't get kicked out today. I also thought the answer was zero but added 5 to account for the boardsies.

I've worked in 3 jobs up here since I moved up in 2009, first one was civil service, second one was semi-state housing association and now I'm in local government. The size of the civil service up here is enormous. A massive proportion of the population is on the dole or disability. It would be a very costly affair for the South to take us on and that's one of the main barriers to unification. Whilst the cost of living is low, the wages are lower than the South too. Add on the fact that everyone here benefits from the NHS and it would be a huge shock for both sides of the border if we joined together.

I had heard before that there was a ridiculous number of people working in civil service jobs in NI. As in, it was the main employer across the 6 counties. Because of the nature of division there also seems to be a duplication of services. A teacher I work with took a career break a couple of years ago was living in the North for the year, he did a bit of subbing up there. He said there was four secondary schools in the town. Two grammar and two comprehensive, and of each one Catholic and one Protestant. I had never really given much thought to their education system but that seems like an awful lot of duplication and goes a long way to explain why communities can end up so segregated.

I know we have duplication of services in education here too, but that has changed and there is a community school in a lot of small towns now instead of a convent, cbs and a vocational school.

Morning all

How many new cars were registered in the Republic in 1993?

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    Delighted I didn't get kicked out today. I also thought the answer was zero but added 5 to account for the boardsies.

I've worked in 3 jobs up here since I moved up in 2009, first one was civil service, second one was semi-state housing association and now I'm in local government. The size of the civil service up here is enormous. A massive proportion of the population is on the dole or disability. It would be a very costly affair for the South to take us on and that's one of the main barriers to unification. Whilst the cost of living is low, the wages are lower than the South too. Add on the fact that everyone here benefits from the NHS and it would be a huge shock for both sides of the border if we joined together.

Personally I don’t think unification could ever happen. Aside from the economic implications which with the help of a massive package from the EU and the UK could probably be overcome, you would have to make the deal so appealing to unionists that they couldn’t turn it down. Otherwise you’re looking at a civil war or at least a return to paramilitary activity.

So you’d be talking about moving some or all of our government to Belfast, removing all reference to Irish in our everyday life, no gardai, no Irish road signs, all state bodies in Irish to be changed. I don’t think people consider the practical elements when they talk about a United Ireland. If you’re to put no violence at the top of the list of requirements then the rest is fairly bleak, we’d be basically turning ourselves into England

Morning all

How many new cars were registered in the Republic in 1993?

Is that all cars, commercial vehicles, tractors etc, or just private cars?

Personally I don’t think unification could ever happen. Aside from the economic implications which with the help of a massive package from the EU and the UK could probably be overcome, you would have to make the deal so appealing to unionists that they couldn’t turn it down. Otherwise you’re looking at a civil war or at least a return to paramilitary activity.

So you’d be talking about moving some or all of our government to Belfast, removing all reference to Irish in our everyday life, no gardai, no Irish road signs, all state bodies in Irish to be changed. I don’t think people consider the practical elements when they talk about a United Ireland. If you’re to put no violence at the top of the list of requirements then the rest is fairly bleak, we’d be basically turning ourselves into England

I don't see it happening either mainly for economic reasons.. I don't think we could afford to keep the civil service in NI afloat as it is. But I don't think we would have to change our whole country to appease what would be a (sizeable) minority in NI. People in Ireland wouldn't accept that. I could see concessions being made in relation to things like not making Irish compulsory in schools in the North, which would possibly have a domino effect down here.

But there probably would be violence.

• Advertisement

Well we have seen in the past few days some sectarian threats against port agents here in Larne and Belfast over the sea border because of Brexit so I do think the threat of violence from the militant unionists would be a massive problem that wouldn't be easily tackled.
    But in fairness to the North, I do think Unionists have learnt (begrudgingly of course) to compromise on a number of things and I don't think it would be as drastic as you think to unify. We have a vibrant Gaeltacht in Belfast (both my husband and his parents are very active in the community and are all native speakers), we have Irish language schools, language officers in the local councils to promote both Irish and Ulster Scots, dual language signs where a majority of the population of a street agrees to it, and the option to have official documents produced in Irish or Ulster Scots. So I don't think that all "Irishness" would have to be removed from the South in order to accommodate the Unionists. Maybe some of the government departments would move to Belfast but not all, that would never happen.
    The more Westminster pulls away from responsibility of NI like it's been doing during the Tories reign, the more unionism breaks. The staunch unionists dig their heels in and cling on even harder, but I think more moderates are getting fed up with constantly being **** on by the parents that are supposed to love them. I think unification will happen one day. Maybe not in my lifetime, but it'll happen.

(all of this to try avoid answering today's question - haven't a clue)

Is that all cars, commercial vehicles, tractors etc, or just private cars?

Anything that gets a number plate

One of the real stragglers went last nite, these four are currently holding up the show

wrestlemaniac
    Trigger
    BuileBeag
    Electric Nitwit

Sorry! Answer sent! :o

So the correct answer was 60,792 cars, a few very close answers but Kolido was furthest away, hard luck, at least you made the final 10, one to tell the grandkids

duffman13 31,000
    Shorty69664 35,000
    Mollyb60 50,000
    wrestlemaniac 59,999
    BuileBeag 80,000
    rainbowtrout 93,000
    Electric Nitwit 133,333
    Zaph 147,500
    Trigger 154,321
    Kolido 170,000

• Registered Users Posts: 13,361 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Cheers for the game G, best of luck guys.

Wow, much lower than I thought!
    Bye Kol, good game :)

Wow, much lower than I thought!
    Bye Kol, good game :)

Ya people went nuts buying cars in 2000. I think the figure was something ridiculous like 200k new cars that year. That's what I was using for my calculations... I must look it up.....

It looks like 230k :eek::eek::eek:

Morning all

In June 2002 Eamonn McGee fought Ricky Hatton for the WBU Light Welterweight title. According to McGee’s autobiography how much money did he received?

• Advertisement

Back to questions I don't know I see. Ah well. I had a good run.

Advertisement