Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020/21 NBA season + Olympics

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Cleveland and Toronto have won championships in the last 5 years, not two of the bigger markets.

Owners have to play the game within the current landscape. If you run your team well you can create attractive landing spots for a duo of stars to arrive and make their championship run. But yes, the old system where you could run your team into the ground before being bailed out back to relevancy because a super star landed to your lottery pick is gone. The Pelicans have wasted two years of Zion, they don’t have forever nor should they be entitled to it.

We’re also having this conversation in the context of the currently qualified playoff teams being: Phoenix, Utah, LAC, Philly, Brooklyn and Milwaukee. Seems reasonably diverse!

Ultimately owners are getting theirs. Everyone is making plenty of money. The people doing the work should have a large degree of control over where they ply their trade. I doubt anyone here would accept long term constraints on where they can work, so why should we expect it of athletes?

Not really comparing like with like. Pull a James Harden at work and you'd be fired. Work won't pay you indefinitely if you fail to perform or if you're injured(sick) and let's be honest, for all but the very few of us work doesn't pay us life changing money that provides for generational wealth.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,185 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Tbf I do find some of the ideas behind trading a bit unfair to players.

Like you might happily sign with the Pelicans for 3 years then you maybe have a family, hope to settle down etc. etc.

Then suddenly you are sent to Portland because of salary matching and you dont get much say and you didn't actually sign a contract with Portland ever but thats your new employer.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,134 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Not really comparing like with like. Pull a James Harden at work and you'd be fired. Work won't pay you indefinitely if you fail to perform or if you're injured(sick) and let's be honest, for all but the very few of us work doesn't pay us life changing money that provides for generational wealth.

Well the players are the key component to the creation of the revenue that justifies the salaries that generate that wealth. And it’s an issue of scarcity, supply and demand - the owners want the best players on their franchises because it boosts their piece of the pie. So yeah, they get paid more because they generate more and have a unique talent.

If you had the leverage in your industry that James Harden has in his you may be able to get away with all sorts of things.

The owners essentially get a half decade if they draft a star. They also get the ability to pay said star more than any other team can thereafter. Surely that is more than enough? LeBron and others (because LeBron wasn’t the first) have taken back control of the second half of their careers with shorter contracts and more player options. But they have to be very good for very long to really exercise that power.

I personally think there’s a real whack of ‘the good old days were better’ off the arguments against player power. Once Pierce, KG and Allen got together in 2007 the landscape was changed forever. You can choose to dislike Harden and KD, but they have created a new super power. It’s exciting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jk23

Well the players are the key component to the creation of the revenue that justifies the salaries that generate that wealth. And it’s an issue of scarcity, supply and demand - the owners want the best players on their franchises because it boosts their piece of the pie. So yeah, they get paid more because they generate more and have a unique talent.

If you had the leverage in your industry that James Harden has in his you may be able to get away with all sorts of things.

The owners essentially get a half decade if they draft a star. They also get the ability to pay said star more than any other team can thereafter. Surely that is more than enough? LeBron and others (because LeBron wasn’t the first) have taken back control of the second half of their careers with shorter contracts and more player options. But they have to be very good for very long to really exercise that power.

I personally think there’s a real whack of ‘the good old days were better’ off the arguments against player power. Once Pierce, KG and Allen got together in 2007 the landscape was changed forever. You can choose to dislike Harden and KD, but they have created a new super power. It’s exciting!

I think it's a good thing that the players have more power...my point is more of a sporting one. The formation of super teams like you correctly pointed out the Celtics started in 07.

I think it was better in in the old days so to speak as the alot of the teams generally had one superstar or two max. Now you might have 3/4 on one team.

Look at LeBron teaming up with Wade and Bosh, Kd going to the warriors and Harden to the nets ....Then you have LeBron claiming to be the best ever player after teaming up with two players who were in the top 6 of his draft lottery and leaving his drafted team in comparison to Kobe or MJ

jk23 wrote: »
    I think it's a good thing that the players have more power...my point is more of a sporting one. The formation of super teams like you correctly pointed out the Celtics started in 07.

I think it was better in in the old days so to speak as the alot of the teams generally had one superstar or two max. Now you might have 3/4 on one team.

Look at LeBron teaming up with Wade and Bosh, Kd going to the warriors and Harden to the nets ....Then you have LeBron claiming to be the best ever player after teaming up with two players who were in the top 6 of his draft lottery and leaving his drafted team in comparison to Kobe or MJ

Well Kobe and MJ had plenty of help, and plenty of stars alongside them.

I think all that’s really happened is that players have taken on greater agency in team building. MJ wasn’t responsible for the team that was built around him. The owner put in a GM and Coach who built the team around him. Players play, coaches coach and GMs hire and fire.

Now the players have a larger degree of control over the third part. GMs are responsible for clearing as much space as possible, loading the gun with multiple bullets. But the stars form relationships and choose which platform they go to. I struggle to see why, philosophically, it should be any other way? The players depend on each other on the court. They need to have the relationship. They shouldn’t have to ask a GM for help and cross their fingers on who gets signed.

• Advertisement

Well Kobe and MJ had plenty of help, and plenty of stars alongside them.

I think all that’s really happened is that players have taken on greater agency in team building. MJ wasn’t responsible for the team that was built around him. The owner put in a GM and Coach who built the team around him. Players play, coaches coach and GMs hire and fire.

Now the players have a larger degree of control over the third part. GMs are responsible for clearing as much space as possible, loading the gun with multiple bullets. But the stars form relationships and choose which platform they go to. I struggle to see why, philosophically, it should be any other way? The players depend on each other on the court. They need to have the relationship. They shouldn’t have to ask a GM for help and cross their fingers on who gets signed.

I agree with you about Kobe, he got Pau Gasol and his mini superteam in 2012 with Nash and Howard. However I think MJ only had Pippen/H.Grant who were drafted there and Rodman was coming to the end of his career. Kukoc was unknown in the USA at the time.

I agree with you about the players having more power I suppose I wish they would choose a franchise that is not already stacked with superstars as it would be much more exciting to see 10/12 teams competing rather than 3/4 who can realistically win...

• Registered Users Posts: 37,527 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Yeah and Steve Kerr gets no credit, he was crucial to that team with his prowess on the outside draining three pointers and his general play.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Coneygree

It'd be great if Anthony Edwards develops into a real star.

Dallas, Portland and Lakers tied again. That Portland LAL game this week is huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,185 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Davis twisting his ankle and only lasting one quarter against Clippers.

• Advertisement

pjohnson wrote: »
    Davis twisting his ankle and only lasting one quarter against Clippers.

season over

season over

I think he is going to play tonight versus the Blazers...I still think write off the Lakers at your peril. When they are healthy in the playoffs they will be very difficult to beat in 7...

The pair of them are not healthy and even if they both technically get on the court they don’t have enough game time in the legs.

We’ll see if they can come back at it again next year.

Opens the playoffs up, so that’s good.

The pair of them are not healthy and even if they both technically get on the court they don’t have enough game time in the legs.

We’ll see if they can come back at it again next year.

Opens the playoffs up, so that’s good.

Do you think so? They are long odds at the bookies was going to put a few pound on the at 4/1 which is a very good price.

Jazz and Suns don't have the experience. Murray is huge loss for the Nuggets and Clippers just don't have it for whatever reason.

Do you think so? They are long odds at the bookies was going to put a few pound on the at 4/1 which is a very good price.

Jazz and Suns don't have the experience. Murray is huge loss for the Nuggets and Clippers just don't have it for whatever reason.

They're already both rushing back because time is up. We saw with LeBron in 2019 that he can't just come back from a layoff straight to his best. I was hopeful that they could have maybe had a stab at it but the reinjuries are complete game over.

There are other factors at play too. I said in the offseason, they were changing too much and I think that has proven correct. Lot of change with very little time between the last game of the Finals and the grind of a new season. Losing the last couple of months to really build up steam as a group has killed it.

I'll be betting on their play in opponents tbh.

They're already both rushing back because time is up. We saw with LeBron in 2019 that he can't just come back from a layoff straight to his best. I was hopeful that they could have maybe had a stab at it but the reinjuries are complete game over.

There are other factors at play too. I said in the offseason, they were changing too much and I think that has proven correct. Lot of change with very little time between the last game of the Finals and the grind of a new season. Losing the last couple of months to really build up steam as a group has killed it.

I'll be betting on their play in opponents tbh.

It doesn't take much for things to swing around, I am sure they have enough to get past a potential play in...
    Drummond/Harrell/KCP/Kuzma/Gasol/Tucker...that's still a very strong roster.

The playoffs are played a much different pace and style to the regular season it becomes a much more half court style that will suit them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭qwabercd

It doesn't take much for things to swing around, I am sure they have enough to get past a potential play in...
    Drummond/Harrell/KCP/Kuzma/Gasol/Tucker...that's still a very strong roster.

The playoffs are played a much different pace and style to the regular season it becomes a much more half court style that will suit them.

The players you've listed really don't make for a very strong roster.

qwabercd wrote: »

I still think they will make the conference finals as they have experience as well from last year and have been strong defensively all year.

Howard and Rondo are big losses to them as they played very well in the playoffs for them last year...

qwabercd wrote: »

We’ve actually proven over the past 6 weeks that it’s a sub .500 roster infact.

We’ve actually proven over the past 6 weeks that it’s a sub .500 roster infact.

The blazers have a very tough schedule to end the regular season, so that might just get the Lakers the 6th seed then it's all on how LeBron recovers...

• Advertisement

The blazers have a very tough schedule to end the regular season, so that might just get the Lakers the 6th seed then it's all on how LeBron recovers...

They're not catching either Portland or Dallas tbh. Both are 2 games ahead and both hold the tiebreak over the Lakers (so effectively 3 games ahead) and there's just 5 (4 in Portland's case) games remaining. It's not happening.

Steph had 49 last night in just 29mins before Kerr did the usual and took him out. I'd honestly love to see him just once when he's in this kinda form be let loose to go for a career high and see how high he could go points wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,973 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Steph had 49 last night in just 29mins before Kerr did the usual and took him out. I'd honestly love to see him just once when he's in this kinda form be let loose to go for a career high and see how high he could go points wise.

He's had so many injuries though. When you're cruising to a win, why risk it.

He'll definitely get more minutes in the playoffs, if they make it.

Boston with another bad loss tonight. Down 20 very early against Miami and never recovered; ignore the final score line as it’s not an accurate reflection of the game. I know they’ve had more games lost to Covid then any other team but this really is a disaster. Boston as a 7 seed with 2 All Stars? Embarrassing TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Gregk961

I've seen plenty of games where I'm thinking "This is it, Kerr is leaving him out there and he is going to put up 80" but it just never seems to happen. I will never tire of watching him, it's just an absolute pleasure.

Gave up "supporting" teams a long time ago but I will be cheering on the warriors in the play-in just so we might get more Steph

What do we all think of the Play In?

Obviously for fans of 7th and 8th seed teams it sucks, but I think it really adds to the excitement at the end of the regular season.

I'd be happy if they kept the 72 game, plus play ins from now on, instead of going back to a regular 82 game season.

More games, more to play for, more excitement

That said, the reality is 8 seeds aren’t going anywhere in the playoffs, so it’s much ado about nothing. But bring it on like.

It's one and done too, no best of 5 or 7 series.

HOW BOUT DEM BULLS!!!!!!!!!

...turning up when there's **** all to play for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Corvo

Lakers v Warriors will be great

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement