Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020/21 NBA season + Olympics

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,264 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

One thing I find annoying is the apparent (I havent found one) lack of a "Match of the Day" type 1 hour/90 mins programme of highlights each day.

Sure you can fire up a youtube playlist of match highlights but dont get analysis for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,192 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

LeBron’s ankle gone again. Looks like injury will defeat the possibility of back to back titles.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Lakers, Dallas, and now Portland all with the same record.

Dallas losing to the Kings (again) really is unforgivable at this stage of the season.

Remaining Schedules for LAL, DAL, and POR include:

Back to Backs:
    DAL: 1
    LAL: 3
    POR: 3

Games versus .500+ opponents:
    DAL: 3
    LAL: 5
    POR: 5

Luka is one T away from a suspension.

Lakers play in order:
    Denver HOME
    Clippers AWAY (but really it's a home game for all intents and purposes)
    Portland AWAY
    Phoenix HOME
    NY HOME
    Houston HOME
    Indiana AWAY
    Pelicans AWAY
    Only team with nothing to play for there is the Pelicans.

Portland play in order:
    Hawks AWAY
    Cavs AWAY
    Lakers HOME
    San Antonio HOME
    Houston HOME
    Utah AWAY
    Phoenix AWAY
    Denver HOME
    Houston and Cavs nothing to play for.

Dallas play in order:
    Miami AWAY
    Brooklyn HOME
    Cavs HOME
    Cavs AWAY
    Memphis AWAY
    Pelicans HOME
    Toronto HOME
    Minnesota AWAY
    Cavs (twice) and Minnesota have nothing to play for. Toronto could be in that boat too by the time Dallas play them.

Portland's schedule is by far the toughest IMO, with Dallas being the easiest, and the Lakers in the middle.

Note: that was a pain in the arse to calculate and write!

You know LeBron and Schroeder are out right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Curry again tonight, my god, after all these years of watching him it never gets old to see him put on such a show night after night. Iam a broken record when it comes to Curry, he never ceases to astonish me with what he does at such a high level and he seems to be getting more competitive as he realizes more of the responsibility is on him.
    I feel privileged to have watched him regularly in the the flesh and on tv all these years, depending on where you live, there are few times you get to live through watching superstars in their prime.
    This might sound weird but I think the last time I felt such a privilege was watching Maurice Fitzgerald when I was a kid, great memories watching him play in the flesh.

Green also had another solid night, I also really hope New Orleans don’t waste Zion, he might be a generational talent, I think they might need a fresh coach or something to make it work there, Zion is only 20 but my god he is scary

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    You know LeBron and Schroeder are out right?

Yeah. Not sure what that has to do with my post though. Lakers in the Play In or playing the Clippers would be huge news regardless of who is in or out. It’s not like either of the players you mention are missing the Play Offs completely. LeBron is day to day, Schroeder isn’t injured, he’s out for safety protocols.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭Corvo

Drummond is very very bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭qwabercd

Corvo wrote: »
    Drummond is very very bad.

Fantasy playoffs this week. Checked my team and see Drummond with 0 points. Oh he must not have played. 22 mins..not even a single rebound! He's so bad.

Yeah. Not sure what that has to do with my post though. Lakers in the Play In or playing the Clippers would be huge news regardless of who is in or out. It’s not like either of the players you mention are missing the Play Offs completely. LeBron is day to day, Schroeder isn’t injured, he’s out for safety protocols.

Well it renders a lot of your post moot. The Lakers will finish behind Dallas and Portland. They aren’t likely to have James and Schroeder back the remainder of the regular season.

Then they are likely going to lose in the first round irrespective of their opponents. It’s wide open at the top of the West now.

• Advertisement

Well it renders a lot of your post moot. The Lakers will finish behind Dallas and Portland. They aren’t likely to have James and Schroeder back the remainder of the regular season.

Then they are likely going to lose in the first round irrespective of their opponents. It’s wide open at the top of the West now.

A) passive aggressive much?
    B) LeBron is “day to day”, they beat Denver without him last night. He’s expected to be back before the Play Offs and will want some reps before going into the Play Offs
    C) Portland lost last night
    D) Dallas for some reason are awful against weaker teams

So much can and likely will happen in the next couple of weeks.

qwabercd wrote: »
    Fantasy playoffs this week. Checked my team and see Drummond with 0 points. Oh he must not have played. 22 mins..not even a single rebound! He's so bad.

Yeah even his rebounding has taken a dive. Lakers were -11 with him on the floor. Gasol who I felt had shown a few problems at the start of the reason replaced him and the game really turned. There's no way he can get time in the play-offs at his current standard though I do understand that he will likely improve if / when LeBron James gets back in and he's catching lobs.

Yeah even his rebounding has taken a dive. Lakers were -11 with him on the floor. Gasol who I felt had shown a few problems at the start of the reason replaced him and the game really turned. There's no way he can get time in the play-offs at his current standard though I do understand that he will likely improve if / when LeBron James gets back in and he's catching lobs.

Gasol was never really a catching lobs kinda guy, but is an above average passer and defensive player, that’s where he will contribute.

Bulls are the most gutless team in the league.

Gasol was never really a catching lobs kinda guy, but is an above average passer and defensive player, that’s where he will contribute.

Sorry, yes, I meant Drummond catching lobs. Think Gasol will be vital for a potential Denver series against Jokic and to add some playmaking if LeBron is still rusty.

Bulls are the most gutless team in the league.

What's Lavines situation contract wise? Is he likely to leave?

All of a sudden LeBron is very anti play in tournament, saying “whoever came up with the idea should be fired”.

Not the sentiments he held last year, saying
    “ You got Portland. You got Memphis…New Orleans and Sacramento tinkering around there…so if there’s five or 10 games left…why not those guys battle it out? Make them play each other all five games?”

Obviously everyone is entitled to change their mind but it seems obvious that he is throwing a bit of a tantrum now they could potentially fall into one of those spots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jk23

All of a sudden LeBron is very anti play in tournament, saying “whoever came up with the idea should be fired”.

Not the sentiments he held last year, saying
    “ You got Portland. You got Memphis…New Orleans and Sacramento tinkering around there…so if there’s five or 10 games left…why not those guys battle it out? Make them play each other all five games?”

Obviously everyone is entitled to change their mind but it seems obvious that he is throwing a bit of a tantrum now they could potentially fall into one of those spots.

The more I hear from him on social media the more I am losing respect for him as a person. As a player he is still unbelievable but he comes across terrible on social media

What's Lavines situation contract wise? Is he likely to leave?

I think if we're a play-off team, he stays. This is his team. He'll get paid and I can't see him being content being second or third fiddle elsewhere. Also, Arturas going all in on red trading for Vucevic is the sort of ambition LaVine has been wanting.

Which is why the collapse since the trade deadline has been galling**. We were 1.5 games away from 8th seed at the time. I'm usually pessimistic but I thought we'd get in comfortably after the deadline.

Now we're in no mans land. No chance of a play-in and not gonna plummet in the draft. We've lost some rotten games against teams missing their star/multiple players. We're in desperate need of some play-off experience, even it means getting bounced in the first round.

There's something fundamentally wrong with us somewhere. I expect Arturas to be cutthroat in the off-season.

**Not faulting Vucevic at all. The same core problems that were there prior to his arrival remain (effort, concentration, poor shot selection).

jk23 wrote: »
    The more I hear from him on social media the more I am losing respect for him as a person. As a player he is still unbelievable but he comes across terrible on social media

He is a diva, to be fair he could be a lot worse considering his level of fame and success from such a young age. Overall he is definitely a positive influence on the game and society but sometimes his tantrums don’t get called out enough

• Advertisement

He is a diva, to be fair he could be a lot worse considering his level of fame and success from such a young age. Overall he is definitely a positive influence on the game and society but sometimes his tantrums don’t get called out enough

I know he has done alot for his local community in Cleveland with his schools and college scholarships. He seems to dive in to things without thinking online.

He definitely changed the game with the super team and player power movement. In my opinion I preferred if all the teams had one superstar and try to see who is the best but maybe that's not feasible in todays NBA....

LeBron said some things recently about white people that were he white saying them about any other race he would be in serious trouble and would have lost sponsors almost immediately, but he (and not for the first time) seems to largely have gotten a free pass for them. Complete double standards.

jk23 wrote: »
    I know he has done alot for his local community in Cleveland with his schools and college scholarships. He seems to dive in to things without thinking online.

He definitely changed the game with the super team and player power movement. In my opinion I preferred if all the teams had one superstar and try to see who is the best but maybe that's not feasible in todays NBA....

Super teams are kind of killing the league and smaller markets, I’ll be the first to admit my team made the most of it but I feel like the player power is kind of getting too much control.
    One would hope that stars want to prove they can bring a team to a championship but that mentality seems to be lacking in today’s game, was nice to see Giannis resign and hopefully he stays there long term

Outside of my teams championships, watching Dirk punk LeBron and company for that championship was amazing

Super teams are kind of killing the league and smaller markets, I’ll be the first to admit my team made the most of it but I feel like the player power is kind of getting too much control.
    One would hope that stars want to prove they can bring a team to a championship but that mentality seems to be lacking in today’s game, was nice to see Giannis resign and hopefully he stays there long term

Outside of my teams championships, watching Dirk punk LeBron and company for that championship was amazing

Out of the teams realistically with a chance to win I would love either out the east the 76rs or Bucks and either the Jazz or Trail blazers to win it all ...it's unlikely that 2 of those 4 could win it all but it would be better than either Brooklyn or the Lakers

The players should have complete control over their career paths. The players are the product.

The players should have complete control over their career paths. The players are the product.

I agree with you to a certain extent but there is something really satisfying watching Dirk in 2011 winning the championship after being at the same team for all his career.

Yeah, to hell with the contracts that they willingly signed. :rolleyes:

Yes to a certain extent but we both know it’s not as simple as that
    You could argue that without the owners, there would be no league for the players to earn millions
    If you want just a handful of teams to dominate the league then yea, let players dictate everything but it will severely damage smaller markets and competitiveness

• Registered Users Posts: 37,715 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The product would be still watched by millions even if you removed the top fifty players. It'd be just other players who would be the stars.

• Advertisement

Yes to a certain extent but we both know it’s not as simple as that
    You could argue that without the owners, there would be no league for the players to earn millions
    If you want just a handful of teams to dominate the league then yea, let players dictate everything but it will severely damage smaller markets and competitiveness

Cleveland and Toronto have won championships in the last 5 years, not two of the bigger markets.

Owners have to play the game within the current landscape. If you run your team well you can create attractive landing spots for a duo of stars to arrive and make their championship run. But yes, the old system where you could run your team into the ground before being bailed out back to relevancy because a super star landed to your lottery pick is gone. The Pelicans have wasted two years of Zion, they don’t have forever nor should they be entitled to it.

We’re also having this conversation in the context of the currently qualified playoff teams being: Phoenix, Utah, LAC, Philly, Brooklyn and Milwaukee. Seems reasonably diverse!

Ultimately owners are getting theirs. Everyone is making plenty of money. The people doing the work should have a large degree of control over where they ply their trade. I doubt anyone here would accept long term constraints on where they can work, so why should we expect it of athletes?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement